Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i already used my barros model as a hades and a nemesis, it's going to count-as for yet another thing huh because there's no way i can be assed to paint up another one of those models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Holy poo poo if they actually manage to make the Resistance starter remotely as good a deal as the other two.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

wdarkk posted:

Holy poo poo if they actually manage to make the Resistance starter remotely as good a deal as the other two.

Fingers crossed, because I have a fledgling resistance army that needs fleshing out!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Dropfleet players, there is a tournament in the works on Jan 25th in Poole, UK. Official event page to come soon it seems.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
I've got a Resistance starter for dropzone, if I wanted to spend ~$50 to add to it, what would be good stuff to focus on? Not really worried about maximizing points, more round it out into something like a balanced force.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

MCPeePants posted:

I've got a Resistance starter for dropzone, if I wanted to spend ~$50 to add to it, what would be good stuff to focus on? Not really worried about maximizing points, more round it out into something like a balanced force.

You want a commander. I don't have any experience of the Pizzaro walker but it looks cool. Or there is the new little hovercraft getting a release soonish. The Alexander was overshadowed by the Thunderstorm in the past, but that isn't a commander anymore. The Alexander also comes with the Napoleon turret option now so there's some choice there.

More infantry and battlebuses are good. Maybe some occupation veterans?

Personally I'm waiting on seeing the new faction starter box before expanding my own resistance force at the moment as it will be better value than the old one.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Ugleb posted:

You want a commander. I don't have any experience of the Pizzaro walker but it looks cool. Or there is the new little hovercraft getting a release soonish. The Alexander was overshadowed by the Thunderstorm in the past, but that isn't a commander anymore. The Alexander also comes with the Napoleon turret option now so there's some choice there.

More infantry and battlebuses are good. Maybe some occupation veterans?

Personally I'm waiting on seeing the new faction starter box before expanding my own resistance force at the moment as it will be better value than the old one.

Hey, thanks for the input. I have always liked the absurdity of the Alexander, but I can't find anywhere in Canada with it in stock so maybe I'll wait for that new hovercraft. I guess a whole new starter would give me lots to play with, that might be good.

Would you run Battlebuses on their own, or with a hovercraft? Do they even fit in the Kraken?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

You either use a Kraken or a Breaching Drill. They just unveiled a bomb bus variant as well which is cool. I'm not sure how viable they are going to be, but they are cool.

I have a vision of a mad bomber list with the bomb buses and sapper squads just blowing everything up.

The Alexander/Napoleon is a very recent restock so might not have made it to the states yet?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This is my first Resistance ship. I made it for my PHR fleet so it's in their colors. I went with a more battered look though, focusing on damage and wear and tear given its age over being highly detailed. I'm fairly satisfied with the result.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is my first Resistance ship. I made it for my PHR fleet so it's in their colors. I went with a more battered look though, focusing on damage and wear and tear given its age over being highly detailed. I'm fairly satisfied with the result.

looks good, but man every time i make a list i try tossing in a centurion at the start and end up taking it out, it's a shame since the model's great

picked up monitors today and the design on the resin vents for the PHR one are awful, the guns have a big resin block on the back that leaves a giant mark, and there's a huge one through the top half of the smooth part on front that makes it impossible to get clean. quality's fine otherwise and they're easy to magnetize but eesh. scourge ones are fine at least, although i gave up trying to magnetize them and just built two shedu and one lamassu instead

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's only about 3 of us who play with any regularity in Bangkok so we're not really worried about the meta or fleet optimization. It's very much "take what you have or think looks cool".

Anyway, here are the two sister ships, Erasmus and Rembrandt. As these are for PHR who tend to go with fancy Greek names, I figured two remnants of the old Earth fleet named after a Northern Renaissance philosopher and a Dutch Master would be appropriate given later Dutch mastery of the seas.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Not so much optimizing as it's hard to resist giving up "just some good guns" for fancy specialized ships!

Every picture I've seen of the new grand cruiser models has the turret facing straight ahead, and it looks like it might be too snug a fit to turn. That the case or just modeling coincidence?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sojenus posted:

Not so much optimizing as it's hard to resist giving up "just some good guns" for fancy specialized ships!

Every picture I've seen of the new grand cruiser models has the turret facing straight ahead, and it looks like it might be too snug a fit to turn. That the case or just modeling coincidence?

I think it would be tight, but you could probably cut it to be pointed in a specific direction. The deciding factor for me was that I want flat storage and that it's attached to the sprue at the back of the gun and I didn't trust myself to get it flat enough to be exposed after cutting off the tab.

It would be easy enough to fit it with a magnet though.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
So:

Bought a Shaltari army for cheap, and decided to go all the way with Dropzone. I think that's about a 1000 points give or take, so a nice start.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Do they still sell those amazing resin buildings or did that go away once Hawk was sold?

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Just saw the cardboard terrain and the mdf kits. Maybe there are some resin scatter pieces on the site?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Do they still sell those amazing resin buildings or did that go away once Hawk was sold?

other than what seems to be remaining inventory of some resin scenery pieces nope

seems unlikely they'd spend the time and resources on remaking the molds for the buildings when they're still getting the core model range back up

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think those buildings are gone now. I was always under the impression they didn't sell well due to cost.

Maybe TTCombat should sell STL files of them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I regret not buying them, but there was no way I could afford them back then :(

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Wave 6 restocks announced. I'm wondering if anyone is going to buy 3 packs of resin Sabre/Rapiers for £12 when you can get 6 in plastic plus 3 condors and 2 squads of infantry/bears and a Wolf for £35.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Dropzone 2.1 A5 book coming very soon!

Sounds like they are making some changes, wonder what they will be?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
And (free) PDF Rules!

Which means you can have up to date rules in one searchable document instead of cross referencing a book and a bunch of errata you printed out!

I still have a soft spot for this game and this will definitely have me taking another look at it.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
This'll be easier to get people playing as well. The rulebook is nice, but it's a pain to lug around for only 20+ pages of rules.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

First rule change; Reduced trading shots for higher energy is now capped at E9. Also you can no longer disembark Infantry and use them as AA in the same activation.

So while infantry can still hurt anything in theory, they can't kill anything on a whim.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

New ships for Dropfleet!

Rules coming next week with some words from Dave.

I like the sound of these, they are all filling very different roles.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

I'm super curious to see how the Scourge lighter plays out - boarding actions sound hilarious. Close action with a continuing damage effect maybe?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There are the corruptor torpedoes, might be something like that? I think those add fire tokens and do damage over time off the top of my head.

I like the voidgate using attack ship idea. Could be brutally OP depending on the stats.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ooh first rules snippets out already, full rules Friday.

Interesting...

A sig 0, never gets spikes strike carrier sir?

Or a close action attack with beam and corrupter?

I like these so far!

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Wow, so far these are very cool, and on theme for the factions.

Definitely going to pick up a few when they come out.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I do find myself wondering just what the Lysander is for. It supposedly has one extra rule, which I guess might be dropping super-duper-black-ops troops?

The Scourge boarding ram is lovely.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

It definitely has drop, and a signature 0 dropship is going to be super handy, especially with it's speed.

It'll definitely depend on what it can drop though, a single infantry token isn't going to get you much.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

PHR and Shaltari teaser!

The ability to push an enemy ship onto Silent Running for a round sounds evil. Or to protect a friendly after it goes weapons free. But on a 5+ per attempt.

And a serious mobility toy for Shaltari!

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah, not sure how much use the phr one will get, 5+ is a bit awkward to count on - but if that hits, oof.

The shaltari one seems scary, 16" move, vectored, and teleporting? Depends on the guns I guess, but drat that's mobile. Guess I need to just dump half my points into djinn and cover the board in close action plasma.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think the PHR one is going to be near mandatory to run in groups of 3, so it's a question of the points cost on how much use they will see.

Your opponent is going to be distracted by them though if they get close to anything large.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Aaannd the Resistance teaser.

Fire Ship 3 launch and 4+ armour. Now I need to go look up fire ships because I've not played a game with them yet.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Lighters are out, the Helium is buffed to 3+ lock and close action beam. But now if they void skip they also gain a minor spike.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

That's a pretty nice way of fixing them, shame the phr one didn't get a tweak.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone tried playing much on tabletop simulator or Vassal? It seems like a better solution than trying to get my friend who lives an hour away together for us to push unpainted grey space fleets at each other.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

I haven't - no. I honestly should give it a shot though, the current TTS module looks pretty solid.

I had a look at the vassal one, but couldn't wrap my head around it properly. I'd be willing to attribute that entirely to me having no idea on how to make vassal work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Last I saw, TTS dropfleet was a confusing mass of different mods. Which ones are you using?