Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Maybe It is time I give the instantpot rice another shot. Let's talk how to make it!

I generally want 1 of 3 types of rice:

Sticky short grain, but with distinct kernels rather than mush, Japanese side dish style.

Very fluffy and separate aromatic long grain

Brown rice that is as soft as white rice.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

my only complaint about my zojirushi rice cooker is how long it takes. Sometimes it feels like it takes 45 minutes to an hour to make rice, which seems pretty long considering older rice cookers I've had.

This is also my only complaint, otherwise happy. I do feel like I need to add a little more water for my normal basmati than the amount specified too I guess.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Duo Evo Plus looks to be 200$ in Canada, cripes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sextro posted:

Maybe It is time I give the instantpot rice another shot. Let's talk how to make it!

Sticky short grain, but with distinct kernels rather than mush, Japanese side dish style.

Any suggestions?

I make long grain white rice 99.9% of the time. I followed the directions on the IP website which is wash/rinse/drain the rice, add to the IP, add water 1:1 (3 cups water to 3 cups rice), 8 minutes low pressure, 10 minute natural release. It was perfect, distinct grains, soft but not mushy. You can also saute the rice in fat and then add water, that also turns out perfect. I made brown rice once and followed the directions in the IP booklet, it was good. I'm not a fan of sticky short rice.

On the stovetop I wash/rinse/drain, add to the pot, add water 1:1, 10 minutes low simmer, turn off heat and allow to steam for 15 minutes. Overall the time is about the same but the IP rice is a little better.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I posted that without thinking about the fact that I just started the Whole30 diet. No rice for me. :(

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Sextro posted:

Any suggestions?

I use the method and times on this website: https://greenhealthycooking.com/instant-pot-rice/

Hasn't failed me yet with white/brown/wild rice.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I like the rice cooker to cook the rice and the instant pot to cook the curry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Short grain instapot rice (which I learned from these forums): 1:1 rice water ratio, cook high for 7 mins, LET COOL DOWN NATURALLY NO VENTING

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Short grain instapot rice (which I learned from these forums): 1:1 rice water ratio, cook high for 7 mins, LET COOL DOWN NATURALLY NO VENTING

idk about other types of short grain, but for sticky rice i've had to use an insert to steam it. when i've tried cooking it normally the texture wasn't remotely as good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are there liquid measuring cups where the measurement lines don't rub off after a few years? I've been using Anchor Hocking and they invariably become unreadable after a few years. This led to a friend helping in the kitchen loving up beignets because she misread the measurements.

I would like to stick to glass but if I have to go plastic I will. How are the Oxo measuring cups holding up after years of use?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My pyrex measuring cups still look new. I guess I don't run them through the washer that often.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Are there liquid measuring cups where the measurement lines don't rub off after a few years? I've been using Anchor Hocking and they invariably become unreadable after a few years. This led to a friend helping in the kitchen loving up beignets because she misread the measurements.

I would like to stick to glass but if I have to go plastic I will. How are the Oxo measuring cups holding up after years of use?

my oxos are doing pretty well, but my pyrex's havent held up that well

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I've had them for maybe three or four years now and they seem to be holding up well. The place they have the measurements printed means that they're not ever under direct wear. This is with about three years of use maybe every other day on average.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

No Wave posted:

My pyrex measuring cups still look new. I guess I don't run them through the washer that often.

Same. I've literally had the same ones since I first moved out like 20 years ago too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My mom's Pyrex set are still legible, but fading a little. After ~40 years

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I bought the three-piece set of plastic Oxo liquid measuring cups, and I love them. The angled thing makes it really easy to read.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-3-Piece-Angled-Measuring/dp/B0000CCY1Y

I do have a glass 2-cup Anchor Hocking that I use for hot stuff, but otherwise very happy with the plastic Oxo cups.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I have an Ice Cream/Sorbet machine. Might there be something delicious to make? I like limes and lemons.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ice Cream/Sorbet

E. To be lesss snarky, I really like Alton brown’s summer sorbet recipe., as it is pretty versatile; https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/summer-sorbet-recipe-1959612.amp

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 10, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Skyarb posted:

I just need the knives to not be hardened steel, or whatever. I want to treat them like poo poo and use my chef step electric sharpener on them.

I don't get the whole "you can't use a sharpener on nice knives" thing. I have a Chefs Choice trizor (15 degree edge) 3 stage sharpener and I use it on every single one of my knives including my super nice ones. The new generation sharpeners are great. They take off minimal material and create a great end product.

Steve Yun posted:

Really wish I knew this when I first started making instant pot rice. Natural cooldown is the secret. I had to learn that the hard way through weeks of trial and error.

Instant pot rice is great though. I gave away my Zoji, we prefer the instant pot rice.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 11, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Taima posted:

Instant pot rice is great though. I gave away my Zoji, we prefer the instant pot rice.

I bought an Instantpot 8 quart (6 was sold out) for a late Christmas gift to myself. I travel pretty much full time, having lived in places such as hotels and tiny studios without a kitchen for months at a time. I had only a hotplate + iron skillet to make all my meals. I usually ate red meat or coconut oil fried vegetables. The versatility the Instantpot has provided me has big time been alot of fun.
Does the thread have an opinion on the usefulness of an Air Fryer? This also came highly recommended by the same friends that talked me into the instantpot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Air fryers are useful for a few things, but the only thing that they do really well is re-heat pre-fried foods. If you buy a lot of frozen fried stuff, then go for it. Otherwise, it's harder to justify.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I received one as a gift for Christmas and figured I'd see what the fuss was rather than return it and have to interface with Kohl's.

So far I've used it to make pretty good frozen fries, reheat pizza, and toast a sandwich.

Basically you can use it like a convection toaster oven except it can't do toast (the fan just blows things like bread all over). Just like a regular convection oven, the airflow reduces cooking times and dries out exterior surfaces making them crispier. If you eat a lot of poo poo like pizza rolls and reheated takeout you might really like it. I need less of that stuff in my life, personally.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Air fryers are useful for a few things, but the only thing that they do really well is re-heat pre-fried foods. If you buy a lot of frozen fried stuff, then go for it. Otherwise, it's harder to justify.

Can you use it to toast spices?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Steve Yun posted:

Nth-ing Pyrex, I have a couple that are 10+ years old, go through the dishwasher all the time, and still look new. I just bought a 4-cup one to replace my Oxo.

I have a couple 1-cup Oxos and had a 4-cup. The 1-cup ones are fine and the angled markings are indeed great. However the 4-cup developed stress cracks in the bottom pretty quickly, although it didn't start leaking until a month or so ago (having had it 3ish years).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Taima posted:

I don't get the whole "you can't use a sharpener on nice knives" thing.

My only experience with electric sharpeners is from years back and they were terrible, just chewed up knives. I'm not doubting you that they are better but many of us are still prejudiced against them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Taima posted:

I don't get the whole "you can't use a sharpener on nice knives" thing. I have a Chefs Choice trizor (15 degree edge) 3 stage sharpener and I use it on every single one of my knives including my super nice ones. The new generation sharpeners are great. They take off minimal material and create a great end product.
Eh. If you're happy with it, you're happy with it. But the one you mention is still just a wee angle grinder that you're forced to use at a set angle. Designs like that are better, as a class, than the old can opener-style pull-throughs, but they're still just rotary disc sharpeners, and so will have all of the disadvantages inherent in that kind of design.

If you really want a high-end electric/automagic sharpener, take a look at something like the Work Sharp Elite, which is basically a wee adjustable belt sander. It has the advantage that the consumable part of the sharpening system--the abrasive--is cheap and easy to replace, and you've got a lot more options to choose from (and can make your own sharpening belts if you really wanted to). And the angle is adjustable, which personally I consider a hard requirement of any sharpening system.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I don’t think Air fryers are worth it if you have access to an oven. They take up lots of counter space, can only make small quantities of food and they pretty much do what a convection oven does, if slightly more effective.

In a living situation with limited space I think I’d still rather have a decent toaster oven.

It’s definitely not frying, which is a unique and useful cooking technique.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I think air fryers can be handy but they're definitely not a unquestionable win. If you're single or maybe a couple and roast veggies often they're faster than an oven and don't heat up the kitchen as much in the summer. Or if you have preteen or teen children that want easy access to garbage calories in the form of frozen junk food.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
toaster ovens are like $30 and way more versatile

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've just found some pantry moths in my box of nuts that I bought to keep them out.
Each pack of nuts was individually sealed and then put into a box like this

https://sistemaplastics.com/products/klip-it-rectangular/2l-rectangle

I don't know how the moths got in there but I'm suspecting that they can get in through the seal somehow.
Any recommendations for kitchen storage boxes that will keep pantry moths out?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Those will keep moths out. They got in some other way, probably in manufacturing

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ah, you think they hitched a ride in some of the nuts I bought. That's very possible. I'm going to deep clean my pantry anyway to make sure there are no moths lurking in something else.
From a quick google it seems you can store nuts in your freezer so I might start doing that as it's always the nuts that seem to attract the moths.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pantry moths can teleport as you've witnessed but only up to 2-3 moth lengths in distance and only when mercury is in retrograde. You're good for awhile OP but come February 17 you'll want to relocate your nuts into much thicker walled containers until March 10.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Helith posted:

Ah, you think they hitched a ride in some of the nuts I bought. That's very possible. I'm going to deep clean my pantry anyway to make sure there are no moths lurking in something else.
From a quick google it seems you can store nuts in your freezer so I might start doing that as it's always the nuts that seem to attract the moths.

While still living with my parents, we dealt with a pantry moth problem. You should probably make sure that you have insurance before you settle on burning your place to the ground and salting the ashes.

Edit: I have heard here in GWS that salting your house BEFORE burning it down is actually better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can't get fully into it right now (phone posting) but basically it depends if the butter in the house you're going to burn down is unsalted or not.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Helith posted:

I've just found some pantry moths in my box of nuts that I bought to keep them out.
Each pack of nuts was individually sealed and then put into a box like this

https://sistemaplastics.com/products/klip-it-rectangular/2l-rectangle

I don't know how the moths got in there but I'm suspecting that they can get in through the seal somehow.
Any recommendations for kitchen storage boxes that will keep pantry moths out?

Yeah, the little bastards can squeeze in around the silicone gasket. Years ago I managed (over a protracted period of time) to starve out meal moths by putting everything in plastic containers with screw-on lids that look a lot like this.

FYI my moths were a freebie that came with something from the bulk bins at Whole Foods :argh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are you loving serious

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, clamp-top containers with a soft gasket didn't work for me, but screw-top plastic jars did (along with the other stuff mentioned - clean throughly, put nuts in the freezer, etc).

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

update!

I have found some more moths in some basmati rice and some couscous. So I'm going to assume they invaded the box from the outside. Luckily there's not too many so I hope I caught it early.
Pantry is getting wiped down with a vinegar solution and I'm going to separately bag all my other dry stuff and see if anything hatches in them in the next week.

I'm going to look for some of those screwtop plastic containers for future use for those types of items as the reclosable seals on packaging don't seem to keep them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Helith posted:

update!

I have found some more moths in some basmati rice and some couscous. So I'm going to assume they invaded the box from the outside. Luckily there's not too many so I hope I caught it early.
Pantry is getting wiped down with a vinegar solution and I'm going to separately bag all my other dry stuff and see if anything hatches in them in the next week.

I'm going to look for some of those screwtop plastic containers for future use for those types of items as the reclosable seals on packaging don't seem to keep them out.

My local Costco is selling glass storage jars with screw top lids if you're a Costco member. There even on sale right now.