Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I do really like dishonored, but it seems so aggressive in its hand holding that I feel like a CNN newscaster with how much text is constantly blasting me in the face all the time.

edit: SNYPE A PAGE (big animation of a box getting checked with an X and playing a loud slashing sound)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Mooncrash: playing as Claire, trying to unlock her story objective, which requires me to get out an escape pod. But the only one left is in Moonworks behind a broken door (i.e. needs repair). Am I just out of luck here?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the difference between an FPS and an FPSRPG is that the guns suck rear end in FPSRPGs

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Never mind, there was another door. I thought there'd probably be another way in.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

OzFactor posted:

Never mind, there was another door. I thought there'd probably be another way in.

There are like 4 different ways into that area.

edit: 2 doors, 1 maintenance hatch with 2 entrances, and I think a hole in the ceiling as well

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Floodixor posted:

I do really like dishonored, but it seems so aggressive in its hand holding that I feel like a CNN newscaster with how much text is constantly blasting me in the face all the time.

edit: SNYPE A PAGE (big animation of a box getting checked with an X and playing a loud slashing sound)

You can turn off just about all that poo poo

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I was hoping that was the case. I'm on my way home and will do so when I get there!

Are there any recommendations for a character build in Dishonored 1, anyway? I don't want to dump runes into garbage. And I'm playing lethal stealth.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Which was basically how i played Prey until maybe the halfway point when I got psycho and a fully upgraded shotgun. I don't 100% know why I get this vibe, but I just don't get nearly as strong an inclination to play Prey completely stealth - like I just don't feel like the environment and game progression REALLY throw it in your face, certainly not like from what I've seen in Dishonored (which I guess plays more like Thief anyway) or even DX: HR. One thing I don't love in Dishonored is how you can peek around corners and such but it seemed almost hitscan when dudes were facing you for even a second.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In all honesty I don't think I've ever played prey stealthily, again because I want to kill and eat the typhon as much as possible :v:

I guess sneak up and club one with the wrench but as soon as I got psy powers that kinda went out the window.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I use stealth in Prey, just not in the same way I do in Dishonored or Thief where I try to take out every last guard with a stealth takedown and pile their unconscious bodies in a corner somewhere. In Prey I use it while exploring and to get the jump on enemies and engage them on my own terms. So I still straight-up fight the enemies once I’m in combat, but I don’t sprint around the place like I’m playing Doom

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Stealth sprinting around the place is quite viable with the quiet sprint option

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
One nice thing about this game is that it gives you faceless alien enemies as antagonists so there isn't the big moral issue that most immersive sims give you. Kill away!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Dogen posted:

Stealth sprinting around the place is quite viable with the quiet sprint option

You know what I mean, don’t be a pedant

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Floodixor posted:

Are there any recommendations for a character build in Dishonored 1, anyway? I don't want to dump runes into garbage. And I'm playing lethal stealth.

The abilities are pretty self-explanatory. For your playstyle, you probably don't need Vitality, Blood Thirsty, Devouring Swarm or Windblast; the latter two are fun if you want to be flashy, though. Possession is very fun to use for stealth. Upgrading Blink and Agility is never wrong. If you don't want to hide bodies, Shadow Kill saves a lot of time, but you don't need to upgrade it. I'm not a fan of Dark Vision, as you're missing out on the art direction when you use it, but it's obviously pretty useful. Bend Time makes everything a little too easy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Blink is powerful enough that it was probably 95 percent of my magic use in that game when I was going full panther mode. Possession was a lot of fun for setting up weird suicide/fratricide situations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wafflecopper posted:

in Dishonored or Thief where I try to take out every last guard with a stealth takedown and pile their unconscious bodies in a corner somewhere.

In Dishonored, I KO'd every person at lady Boyles party, and piled them all into the boat. When the mission ended, they all fell through into the water. Beats the alternative, I suppose....

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Dishonored benefits from playing it stealthy until you get discovered and then killing people until you're hidden again. I don't think the game is designed to be played completely non-lethally and some of the non lethal methods of dealing with antagonists are way, way worse than just killing them.

In Prey you have to be stealthy at least initially because the space station is very dangerous.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

In Dishonored, I KO'd every person at lady Boyles party,

When I play that mission, I reenact the Masque of the Red Death, only it's the Rat Death instead.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

some of the non lethal methods of dealing with antagonists are way, way worse than just killing them.

That's the point. You're not just an assassin, you're doling out poetic justice. :getin:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hannibal Rex posted:

When I play that mission, I reenact the Masque of the Red Death, only it's the Rat Death instead.

I need to replay dh1. It's so dark.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Why on earth would you go nonlethal for the entire game? Other than Paul's insistence that UNATCO act more like police than soldiers [man... that's aged], the game clearly expects players to use lethal options frequently, with it's morality left up to players.

I think there's only a handful of videogame NPCs in history I would murder by choice. Most killings I do in videogames are because they game essentially makes you and doesn't give you a nonlethal option. I mean poo poo, I loved Mario 2 as a kid because you didn't have to brutally crush your enemies, you'd just kind of toss them around or you could even just stand on them without crushing. Most times they never needed to be killed, basically just Birdos and Bosses.

Morally it's wrong to kill people, either you're moral and don't kill things or you aren't and do. Don't @ me with circumstances you think it's okay to do killing. It's 100% in all contexts and circumstances rude as hell to kill anyone or anything.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If I remember right, you can straight up murder several of the major storyline antagonists in Dishonored 1 and still get the low-chaos ending, as long as you're making an effort to be sneaky and not kill anyone you don't particularly need to.

The chaos system isn't meant to be some "killing is bad, always" thing, it's just reflective of the fact that killing a shitload of people - in the middle of a devastating plague, no less - is obviously going to have a less than optimal effect on the stability and well-being of your weird steampunk kingdom. That, and Corvo rampantly assassinating public figures unsurprisingly makes the populace extremely wary of any new regime that retains him as an advisor.

What I'm saying here is that having three set-in-stone endings based on chaos was a little disappointing; I would have preferred to see a series of little vignettes describing the consequences of each major choice (some of them in the context of other choices), like the ending of Fallout: New Vegas.

e: wait a minute this is the Prey thread, how did we get onto this tangent :confused:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: wait a minute this is the Prey thread, how did we get onto this tangent :confused:

Because we don't have a dedicated Arkane/Looking Glass appreciation thread, so this is the next best thing. (Also, someone had just finished Prey and was looking for recommendations.)

And yeah, I agree that a mosaic ending like in Fallout would have been nice to have.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hannibal Rex posted:

The abilities are pretty self-explanatory. For your playstyle, you probably don't need [...], Devouring Swarm

I cannot disagree strongly enough here. The second time I played Dishonored, it was lethal stealth, and I wound up playing a ratmancer. I struggle to think of a playthrough of an immersive sim where I have had more fun than the Rats!™ playthrough. You can have rats without people knowing you're there, so it doesn't inherently break stealth. Even if they do see you, they tend to be too busy to doing things like trying not to die to rats to tell their friends, and if they're strong enough to fight off the first swarm, they almost never manage to take on a second. If you take damage somehow, rats are edible, and replenish mana with the right charms too. Possession works a treat, and even better, they will always clean up after you. What a bunch of courteous little guys. As an added bonus, the more people you kill and the higher the chaos goes, the more rats naturally spawn on the map! Imagine, being rewarded for wanton slaughter. Ahhh.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Benedict Wong (Alex Yu) hopefully having fun voice acting in the Dark Crystal. Dude has an excellent voice.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

SCheeseman posted:

Warren Spector coined it. Since he also effectively invented the genre I guess he has a right to give it it's name.

I think the origins came from Ultima Underworld being developed as a dungeon simulator and a general design philosophy at Looking Glass that their games were about immersing the player in a role.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So uh, sorry for continuing the non-Prey derail, but to those suggesting Dishonored to those who liked Prey/DX/0451 games (is that right?), they're all on sale now and I'm wondering where to start. Just get the first (w/ or w/o dlc) for now to see if I like the titles? All sorts of bundles for the 3 titles and am looking for suggestions.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
For Dishonored 1, you've got the Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches. These are a pair of (big) levels to be played after the main game, with a different main character and a somewhat different powerset. They're really good, on-par with the best levels of the main game. I'd recommend them, although you could just play the base game for now and pick them up later, and it would feel like a complete experience. There's also the Dunwall City Trials (looked crap, never tried it), and the Void Walkers Arsenal, which adds a couple of extra tools to use in the main campaign. Honestly, I don't remember how good they were. It's $3, I'd say go for it.

I haven't played Dish 2.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Krazyface posted:

I haven't played Dish 2.

You should remedy that. It contains two of the most brilliantly designed levels in video game history

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Do them, all DLC (except the challenges, go back to that later if you're a masochist like me), from the bottom up. There's so much good in there. And I think doing them in order really grounds the characters.

gently caress I'm gonna do this again... High chaos ghost here I come.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wafflecopper posted:

You should remedy that. It contains two of the most brilliantly designed levels in video game history

Arkane :allears:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Was thinking abt it and realized that the best immersive sim I'd played other than Prey, just from a systems design perspective, is Heat Signature. It's just a swiss watch of interconnected systems, like a game made entirely of different Huntress Boltcasters that you get to figure out how to use.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just a reminder that Arkane also made a spin-off in the immersive sim genre: Dark Messiah of M&M. You immerse every npc in the game in a kickin' world of spikes and cliffs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kicking Simulator 2006 is a very good game yes. Sadly Arkane did not include their groundbreaking boot technology in every other game they made.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
About to start my first run of Prey up. Anything I should know going in that's not in the OP? Going to try to be unspoiled and not save scum. Are builds a thing in this game? I have played Dishonored 1 and Deus Ex games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They don't have to be a thing if you don't want to be. My main advice for anyone playing is that the game really rewards exploration. Be as thorough as you enjoy being, because it will almost certainly pay off.

Oh and look up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm just wrapping up Dishonored1 DLC now so I can see what you mean by 'builds'. No, there's no such thing in Prey and the skills you see are about as useful as you'd expect them to be, just grab things piecemeal that seem useful & good.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

About to start my first run of Prey up. Anything I should know going in that's not in the OP? Going to try to be unspoiled and not save scum. Are builds a thing in this game? I have played Dishonored 1 and Deus Ex games.

You should be fine having experience with this type of game, but just in case: you don't have to kill everything you see. Your growth in power is sort of curved while the growth of the Typhon on the station is pretty linear, which means toward the beginning of the game there's going to be more of them than you can safely handle. But around the halfway point you'll be able to do some serious damage.

Also I'll wait to hear if others agree with me, but getting the improved recycling neuromod early really, really helped me. I never had any issues with resources that I see other people having.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Everything is viable really. Just pick what you want and figure it out. Try not to spoil yourself in any way because the game is extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OzFactor posted:

You should be fine having experience with this type of game, but just in case: you don't have to kill everything you see. Your growth in power is sort of curved while the growth of the Typhon on the station is pretty linear, which means toward the beginning of the game there's going to be more of them than you can safely handle. But around the halfway point you'll be able to do some serious damage.

Also I'll wait to hear if others agree with me, but getting the improved recycling neuromod early really, really helped me. I never had any issues with resources that I see other people having.

Because you weren't killing everything you see to make more space drugs :v: