Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've developed this weird reflex whenever I get close to some furniture or a doorway or anything where I turn my wrist inward and put my hand near my belly just to avoid banging my watch on whatever I'm walking past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Question: can I pair two watches to my phone? Once I get this one repaired, I think I'm gonna wear my S2 to the gym from now on. Really disappointed this happened. Thought it would be at least the same strength as my old watch.

Pretty sure you can. When I got my S5, the S3 was still listed in the Watch app until I manually removed it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Are there any weather complications that actually update? I’ve been reading and it seems that the two main ones like carrot and dark sky have their problems, right now I’m using three stock weather complications and they work well but I wouldn’t mind trying to reduce a couple

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

sonatinas posted:

Are there any weather complications that actually update? I’ve been reading and it seems that the two main ones like carrot and dark sky have their problems, right now I’m using three stock weather complications and they work well but I wouldn’t mind trying to reduce a couple

Carrot and Hello Weather. They both charge a yearly fee.

With watchOS 6, there was a short period that Carrot had a problem but it’s been working fine for a couple months now for me.

Dark Sky seems to work or fail randomly.

Hello Weather is cheaper per year. I prefer Carrot but both work fine.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

By the way, anyone have a watch repair using apple care through the mail? What was the turn around time?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Housh posted:

By the way, anyone have a watch repair using apple care through the mail? What was the turn around time?

Mine wasn’t apple care but I was without my watch for almost a week. I have a service facility in my area, however. They did overnight my watch back to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Mine wasn’t apple care but I was without my watch for almost a week. I have a service facility in my area, however. They did overnight my watch back to me.

They overnight coffins and the return package as well.

Did they repair or replace your watch?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That sounds very promising. Hopefully the coffin arrives tomorrow.

It's kinda cool rocking my S2 again. I haven't used it with the latest update. Works better than I remembered (could simply be pairing it again) but boy does that screen look small and dated.

For sure using this watch at the gym instead of my S5 so I don't break poo poo on the good one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

They overnight coffins and the return package as well.

Did they repair or replace your watch?

I brought it into the store and they shipped it back for me.

Apple immediately sent it back to me, said there was nothing wrong with it, and stated that their diagnostics may have magically fixed my battery issue somehow. It was a colossal waste of time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How do people feel about not setting a passcode on their watch? Too risky or not a big deal?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have the passcode cause I like to use my watch to unlock my computer. I rarely have to put the passcode in cause I put on the watch and then unlock my phone with Touch ID which unlocks the watch.

It’s magic.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I would totally disable the passcode if it wasn't required for macbook unlock.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set the passcode, then configure phone to unlock watch when phone is unlocked. You'll end up pecking in the passcode about once a year.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I need to get one of these

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Aren’t you forced to set a passcode if you use your watch for Apple Pay?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Aren’t you forced to set a passcode if you use your watch for Apple Pay?

If you set it to unlock the watch with the phone then you never have to actually enter the passcode.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does the watch track all the stats when locked?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think so but it only locks itself when you take it off so that won't be a situation you actually run into.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dissss posted:

I think so but it only locks itself when you take it off so that won't be a situation you actually run into.

I’ve had my watch randomly lock while I’m wearing it and not having my phone nearby. Happens maybe once a week.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve had my watch randomly lock while I’m wearing it and not having my phone nearby. Happens maybe once a week.

It’s probably not tight enough.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You'd have to be insane not to put a password on a device that contains things like your email, texts, contacts, and other sensitive data.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Noticed a big scratch on my series 4 screen today. It seems to be just in the finger print coating. Is there anything I could do about it?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What's the problem with entering a passcode anyway? It takes like one second. I don't use my phone to unlock most of the time since it usually takes longer to grab my phone than it does to type in the passcode.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As everyone has said: it's something you do once a day *at most*, takes virtually no time at all, and improves security and enables certain functions. There's virtually no good reason not to have it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't like doing it. That's my reason. Hooray.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You literally never have to type it in if you set the "unlock my watch when my phone unlocks" option. Maybe on a reboot?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You literally never have to type it in if you set the "unlock my watch when my phone unlocks" option. Maybe on a reboot?

And OS updates. Though sometimes it asks for the phone passcode when doing stuff like that through the watch app.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Not to discount any of the reasons people lock their watch, but mine is always on my wrist save for when I charge it at home. I'm not on particularly concerned about my wife or son getting to it. Hell I didn't even know you could lock it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
However, take your watch off when you’re changing bed sheets.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s not super reliable. I have this feature on and it still doesn’t unlock sometimes on my wrist even when I unlock my phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s not super reliable. I have this feature on and it still doesn’t unlock sometimes on my wrist even when I unlock my phone.

I've noticed that if you have the "enter passcode" screen up on your watch, it probably won't work. If it's not the active screen on your watch, the phone unlock works 100% of the time. Sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds, however.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've noticed that if you have the "enter passcode" screen up on your watch, it probably won't work. If it's not the active screen on your watch, the phone unlock works 100% of the time. Sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds, however.

Interesting. That does seem to be the case when it doesn’t work for me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought of a very valid reason to passcode your Apple Watch -- in the event you get mugged for both your phone and your watch, the mugger now has unfettered access to your Apple Pay credentials via the watch. This comes with some caveats, though:

- that WatchOS does not restrict Apple Pay usage on Apple Watches that don't have a passcode set
- the mugger is also a huge nerd that knows how to use Apple Pay on an Apple Watch
- you haven't already cancelled any applicable credit cards because your wallet was probably stolen as well

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m surprised it isn’t obvious that locking your devices is a good idea. It’s not like anyone plans to get robbed etc.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Some people don't live in America. I will never get mugged.The only time my watch is off is at home. I guess thats not typical, but I'm not arsed to put a passcode on my watch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hadji murad posted:

Some people don't live in America. I will never get mugged.The only time my watch is off is at home. I guess thats not typical, but I'm not arsed to put a passcode on my watch.

What country do you live in that has zero crime?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SeANMcBAY posted:

What country do you live in that has zero crime?

That’s what I was thinking. Also even just being dumb and taking your watch off and forgetting it somewhere is very possible.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I live in Japan. Would probably get the watch back too if I was careless enough to leave it lying around. No passcode is probably a bad idea in some places, but not everywhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally, I take it off to shower and then I put it on and need to unlock it. I don’t have my phone on me then. Is that so uncommon a case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

hadji murad posted:

I live in Japan. Would probably get the watch back too if I was careless enough to leave it lying around. No passcode is probably a bad idea in some places, but not everywhere.

Ditto. You could leave your iPhone unlock on the subway and get it back the next day. Let alone your watch. There's no smash-and-grab poo poo here.