Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, and it was good - the trouble is its expansions, while providing much-needed patches and fixes, also revamped the mechanics which retroactively affected the campaigns making some missions straight-up unwinnable, and that is in addition to being a buggy mess where some (both old and new) mechanics straight up don't work.
Basically if you want a good HoMM experience, you've still got to go back to 3.
I freely admit it didn't occur to me that Might and Magic X could possibly be any good. Is it?

X was fun and worth playing if you want to play a M&M game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I saw Half Life Alyx in my steam library and thought they were doing a weird thing with promoting it, then I realized that a long time ago I bought the Valve "everything we have released or will release in the future" bundle and holy poo poo, its actually in my library as an owned game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Scott Forstall posted:

I saw Half Life Alyx in my steam library and thought they were doing a weird thing with promoting it, then I realized that a long time ago I bought the Valve "everything we have released or will release in the future" bundle and holy poo poo, its actually in my library as an owned game.

How much did you pay?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Suddenly, it starts to make a lot of sense that valve isn't particularly gung-ho about actually developing games anymore :thunk:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Bet you're not getting an Index from that bundle

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
The current "Valve Complete Bundle" is $65, but no Alyx. Digging through google a bit, it seems as though it was a make-good bonus for first-wave steam link buyers because of an issue with OSX(?), of which I was one.

"Valve did make this promise in the email they sent out to steam link purchasers, i still have my email, here's the exact line in the email:

"We've added the Valve Complete Pack to your Steam account as a gift from Valve. This will give you all of Valve's games (past, present and future) free of charge. You can still choose to refund your Steam Controller and/or Steam Link (refund instructions below), but the Valve games are yours to keep.""

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/7/1698293255133523180/

e: found the email in my inbox!

quote:

Valve - Steam Hardware <SteamHardwareMac@valvesoftware.com>
Tue, Oct 20, 2015, 7:26 PM
to me

We greatly appreciate your early pre-purchase of the first Steam hardware units.

Unfortunately, there are some temporary software issues that prevent the hardware from functioning with Macs. We expect these problems to be resolved as we update firmware and drivers over the next few weeks.

The Steam Link currently doesn't stream from Macs. An upcoming update will add full support for streaming audio, video, and controller input.

The Steam Controller doesn't currently support gamepad emulation on Macs. If you opt into the Steam Beta client, keyboard/mouse emulation will be functional. We expect gamepad emulation to become functional within a few weeks.

We want to apologize for the delays in providing full functionality for the Mac platform. We're doing everything we can to resolve the issues. For the latest fixes and functionality, we recommend that you opt in to the Steam client beta.

We've added the Valve Complete Pack to your Steam account as a gift from Valve. This will give you all of Valve's games (past, present and future) free of charge. You can still choose to refund your Steam Controller and/or Steam Link (refund instructions below), but the Valve games are yours to keep.

Steam Hardware Team

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 14, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Slay the Spire now has a 4th character and got bumped to 2.0.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Blattdorf posted:

Son of of BITCH. I just last Friday managed to get all the achievements, and wept tears of joy that I had finally conquered the spire.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blattdorf posted:

no no no I have that time sink uninstalled, I'm free, I"M FREE drat YOU

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

Does that mean you own Artifact too

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
Don't worry the fourth character is the friends and experiences that you can make now that you are no longer playing slay the spire. Don't bother confirming this, just go ahead and live your life

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Are there any games that rip off the mechanics of Catherine? I feel like it could be total crack if the difficulty were toned down. The final stages that are all about speed and not hard puzzles were really enjoyable, like Tetris Attack levels of fun.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Don't worry the fourth character is the friends and experiences that you can make now that you are no longer playing slay the spire. Don't bother confirming this, just go ahead and live your life

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

QuarkJets posted:

Don't worry the fourth character is the friends and experiences that you can make now that you are no longer playing slay the spire. Don't bother confirming this, just go ahead and trap your friends in a cellar and force them to play Slay the Spire so you can also keep playing Slay the Spire until the earth rusts over

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
*while skydiving with friends for the first time* wow slay the spire is so great!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

No Wave posted:

Are there any games that rip off the mechanics of Catherine? I feel like it could be total crack if the difficulty were toned down. The final stages that are all about speed and not hard puzzles were really enjoyable, like Tetris Attack levels of fun.

Not-entirely-serious suggestion: Diamond Dan has some vague similarities, if you want to try an old and pretty crappy, but still kinda fun game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/70500/Diamond_Dan/

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Stationeers for singleplayer? I love the idea of a ludicrously complex engineering thingy, but I'm leery of a) a bug-ridden mess (because DayZ), b) tedious and infuriating mechanics, or c) something that requires friends to have fun with.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Traveler posted:

Does that mean you own Artifact too

Yes, it’s in my library too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1216754292838846465

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:3:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I guess if it works for the dev, then ok?

Other indie devs have done this in the past, and a few stated that it's better for them than:
a) People buying the game from shady key sellers, which creates extra charges on the developer
b) People playing a cracked version that maybe riddled with malware or just a buggy build that doesn't reflect the state of the game and can thus generate bad / unfair publicity.

And it's a clever-ish marketing stunt, as long as only few devs do it.

Still, not what I'd consider a guaranteed policy, in terms of increasing sales. I'd go as far as to say it's a shame that indie devs are driven to this solution, essentially switching to an asking for donations marketing model.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

it went from a peak concurrent of 1 to a peak of 7

I mean, good for the dev, more money is more money, but its an outlier.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also wouldn't a demo accomplish exactly the same thing? All I'm getting from this is that a lot of people want to try a game before they buy it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How soon we forget Game Dev Tycoon

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also wouldn't a demo accomplish exactly the same thing? All I'm getting from this is that a lot of people want to try a game before they buy it.

It worked because it got them a little notoriety in a community that wasn't paying attention to them before, and that likes it when devs notice them and do something they feel is cool. Something to note is that, based on their number of reviews at least, a 400% increase doesn't have to mean it sold gangbusters, they just got a few more eyes on it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been told (but not actually shown any actual data) that years of experience have determined that demos actually affect sales adversely.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 6, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Most games are poo poo, so a demo is likely to adversely affect sales by exposing that. If a game is actually good, demos can generate sales.

The main thing that's happening here is that this is just a way of doing viral marketing. No one knew or cared about this game, the developers pulled a publicity stunt, more people knew about it and thus sales went up. It's really not an indicator of the game being good or not, just that marketing is important and most developers are trash at it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scott Forstall posted:

Yeah I went to steamcharts after reading this and had to laugh at this. It's still an improvement I guess but the headline of "Improves by 400%" is pretty misleading.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Scott Forstall posted:

wow i was going to make a joke of "wow a 400% increase in copies sold? that's 5 copies!" but i didn't expect it to be literally true

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you give your game away for free, five people will buy it. Seems right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

wow i was going to make a joke of "wow a 400% increase in copies sold? that's 5 copies!" but i didn't expect it to be literally true

It's already halfway to the lifetime sales of Lawbringers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, I guess another question would be how many people torrented it in the first place?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It's already halfway to the lifetime sales of Lawbringers.

Still can't believe Respawn thought that a good game idea was "what if Overwatch, but half the team is Genjis and we say gently caress"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Still can't believe Respawn thought that a good game idea was "what if Overwatch, but half the team is Genjis and we say gently caress"

Lawbreakers and it was the studio that Cliff B created.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Scott Forstall posted:

Oh sweet I have this too! Think I'm in the same situation as I was an initial buyer of the Steam Link. That thing keeps paying for itself!

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Respawn was Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends, with TF2 being a better Overwatch where everyone is Genji with a mech.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

No Wave posted:

If you give your game away for free, five people will buy it. Seems right.
Well, if not giving your game away for free means no people buy it, I guess you still come out ahead in that deal.

But yeah, at the ultra low end of indie gaming, where exposure is everything because you have literally no budget for marketing or advertisement at all, this is legitimately something that can make you more popular, as in, more people will actually know about you because a lot of :filez: types will download everything they can simply because it's there.

That means that, in this case,people who otherwise would have given no fucks at all about the game even if they had ever seen it on Steam actually got to try it right away and a few liked it so much that they decided to spend money on it. It's rare, but it actually does happen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

so omg, Recore is literally 3D Megaman. You're a lady exploring a failed(?) space colony planet with her robot dog friend, You shoot robots with charged shots, have a dash, and look for powerups and parts. I'm in love with it already.

I know the steam reviews say it involves backtracking and has some other issues, but the intro area was fast and smooth to play and I got to pull robot cores right out of them with a silly tug of war minigame so I'm already hooked.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

These "Indie devs discover that they should market their game" stories will never stop being funny in a very sad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Agree that demos will work against sales when they show that your game has no meat to it, but will otherwise drive sales. See Stanley Parable, Half-Life 1 and a lot of 90's classics.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, if not giving your game away for free means no people buy it, I guess you still come out ahead in that deal.

But yeah, at the ultra low end of indie gaming, where exposure is everything because you have literally no budget for marketing or advertisement at all, this is legitimately something that can make you more popular, as in, more people will actually know about you because a lot of :filez: types will download everything they can simply because it's there.

That means that, in this case,people who otherwise would have given no fucks at all about the game even if they had ever seen it on Steam actually got to try it right away and a few liked it so much that they decided to spend money on it. It's rare, but it actually does happen.

I think one case where the stunt legitimately worked was with Darkwood, which appears to have a pretty decent number of buyers from the amount of Steam reviews. It does help that Darkwood is an excellent game, though.