Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm calling xcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've poked a little at a Silver Snow game now, since nothing else is grabbing me, but... I do not love this branching system. I'm required to always bring Edelgard with me, but I obviously don't want her to eat any XP, and for a route about siding with the Church where I was thinking I'd actually use Church characters like Catherine, Alois, and Shamir, you're barred from getting them until the game's halfway point.

May just stop here and wait for the LP to resume and cover it all since they're doing Snow first.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Watched the AGDQ run of Three Houses. I had to explain to my husband what was going on since many of the actions moved too quick or the couch didn't explain things properly. That said, I'm glad money vote chose Golden Deer :smug:

I got sick during the week so I got through the first third of my Pro Edelgard route at a good clip. My four year old daughter has become my adorable copilot:
  • Finding "clues" (missing items) on the screen
  • She finds the stray cats and dogs to feed, then proceeds to use all of my fish to feed the same cat or dog
  • The "bad guy" hit me first so by preschool rights I can kill him
  • Declaring Hilda is her favorite

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You can feed stray cats and dogs in the monastery! This changes everything, and makes fishing somewhat more worthwhile now that I've maxed out professor rank.

(I also am in the middle of Golden Deer as my first run - nearing the end of White Clouds, I think? And I'm excited for things to get crazy.)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

animeluva1 posted:

Declaring Hilda is her favorite
Such refined taste at such a young age...

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Cythereal posted:

I've poked a little at a Silver Snow game now, since nothing else is grabbing me, but... I do not love this branching system. I'm required to always bring Edelgard with me, but I obviously don't want her to eat any XP, and for a route about siding with the Church where I was thinking I'd actually use Church characters like Catherine, Alois, and Shamir, you're barred from getting them until the game's halfway point.

May just stop here and wait for the LP to resume and cover it all since they're doing Snow first.

I'd really recommend doing Silver Snow and Crimson Flower from the same file. In my opinion it is not worth redoing part 1 solely for Silver Snow, especially since you just did Verdant Wind. If you save before the split, you'll want to have Edelgard get exp as normal, which makes part 1 feel better.

It's not a waste of exp, because that exp buys you the ability to quickly see the route with the most gameplay differences. Even if you don't like her it's cool to see a different perspective on the story, too. If you have absolutely no interest in Crimson Flower and you're not enjoying it so far I'd just stop now like you said.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah especially coming right of VW, Silver Snow is about 90% the same you just swap out Claude for Seteth

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

animeluva1 posted:

Watched the AGDQ run of Three Houses. I had to explain to my husband what was going on since many of the actions moved too quick or the couch didn't explain things properly. That said, I'm glad money vote chose Golden Deer :smug:

I got sick during the week so I got through the first third of my Pro Edelgard route at a good clip. My four year old daughter has become my adorable copilot:
  • Finding "clues" (missing items) on the screen
  • She finds the stray cats and dogs to feed, then proceeds to use all of my fish to feed the same cat or dog
  • The "bad guy" hit me first so by preschool rights I can kill him
  • Declaring Hilda is her favorite

A kid to be proud of. :3:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SS exists as a test of endurance to see how badly you want to gently caress the pope.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So I can start planning now, what order do you all recommend after finishing up a GD run?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arcturas posted:

So I can start planning now, what order do you all recommend after finishing up a GD run?

CF, AM then SS if you absolutely need to see every route.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Black Eagles (Edelgard) > Blue Lions > Church Route if you really must

This introduces the most story variety, though since Church is similar to GD and BL in major ways, there isn't a great place to slot it in, I'd do it as far away from GD as possible though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Do you want to see Dimitri's roaring rampage of revenge or El's perspective. AM is a full length campaign while CF is notably slower...and rougher production value wise. So I guess it depends if you want a quicker campaign next or last.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Arcturas posted:

If you intend to do every route, I think it's best to do Blue Lions next, and Black Eagles last with a save before the route split. It would be a little confusing to jump back into a half finished save after Blue Lions, so the two Black Eagles routes should be back to back. Church route should be last in case you burn out on the game, since it's the least interesting.

So Golden Deer -> Blue Lions -> Black Eagles (Edelgard) -> Black Eagles (Church)

Genovera fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 13, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

animeluva1 posted:

But speedruns are rather nuts compared to Low Turn Count runs. For example, in the AGDQ run, the goals for the third story mission are to level up Byleth to lv14 and to kill off every single student except for Claude and Lysithea. That way they don't take up time during school phase for the rest of the run.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I want to watch the AGDQ run too but it was super late for me. I hope it gets uploaded to Youtube soon.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Genovera posted:

If you intend to do every route, I think it's best to do Blue Lions next, and Black Eagles last with a save before the route split. It would be a little confusing to jump back into a half finished save after Blue Lions, so the two Black Eagles routes should be back to back. Church route should be last in case you burn out on the game, since it's the least interesting.

So Golden Deer -> Blue Lions -> Black Eagles (Edelgard) -> Black Eagles (Church)

Thanks all, I might do this. The prospect of playing the first chunk of the game again so many times is looking increasingly intimidating. At least I can now pretend like I don't care about recruiting literally everyone, and can focus instead on professor training and the supports for folks already in my house.

(Except for paralogue access - do I need both characters for a paralogue to pick those up? I was able to do the Seteth/Flayn one even though I didn't have Seteth recruited, but I think I couldn't recruit him yet and it seemed like the last month before the paralogue went away - 2/22.)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Pre-timeskip, you only need one character for a paralogue but may not get all rewards if you don't have both (Ingrid/Dorothea is the biggest example, where you need Ingrid to get her spear).

Post-timeskip paralogues require you to have both

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Seteth is the only exception in p1, because you can’t recruit him until the story lets you

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Seteth is the only exception in p1, because you can’t recruit him until the story lets you

Not true. You can do the Ingrid/Dorothea paralogue without Ingrid at the very least (not sure if you can without Dorothea, though I'm guessing so), the Shamir/Alois one without Alois, and the Ashe/Catherine one without Catherine. I've done all three.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I want to say if both of the characters are church/faculty you don't even need either of them recruited. Don't quote me on that, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not true. You can do the Ingrid/Dorothea paralogue without Ingrid at the very least (not sure if you can without Dorothea, though I'm guessing so), the Shamir/Alois one without Alois, and the Ashe/Catherine one without Catherine. I've done all three.

sorry you’re right, what I meant was he’s the only person who has a paralogue before you can actually recruit him

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://twitter.com/fuukasyomin/status/1216196540743553024

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Meowdelgard can have a little revolution.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Willanator93/status/1216753239271469056

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I want to watch the AGDQ run too but it was super late for me. I hope it gets uploaded to Youtube soon.

The twitch vod is chaptered so it's easy to find a run

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/533026710?t=28h9m35s

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Closing in on the last pre-timeskip month on my first (Deer) playthrough. I had a nice team going already but learning I could throw flowers in the face of any student to recruit them has led to a very sudden swelling of the ranks in a single month. Should I basically just nail down my 10-man permanent team now and only work on them? Is there a post-skip (or NG+) case for leveling multiple dedicated roles that would come into play where I'd want (random example) both Marianne and Mercedes instead of Mercedes plus Lysithea off-healing?

My levels are kind of all over the place.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

On non-maddening difficulties you've got enough resources that you could keep a rotating squad of ~20 dudes more or less up to speed, though there's not any particular reason to do so beyond "I want to use more characters." Once you get to NG+ it is completely feasible to keep the entire recruitable cast in active rotation if you really wanted to.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

in my experience, no.

Especially when you're not playing on normal (and thus have limited EXP), it's always more valuable to have an excellent core vs keeping everyone decent.

I haven't played on maddening, but on hard I think you'll do okay if you use your default 9 and then keep around 3 good recruits/teachers that you use consistently for a total of 12.

Obviously you can experiment with other options, especially since you have so many recruits. You're not gonna lose your run if you swap someone out for one battle, especially if you think you're overleveled and want to play around. But keeping your first string alive is the easiest way to victory.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hard is still easy enough that if you only keep exactly the deployment limit of characters leveled up (which is 12 at the most) you will definitely end up overleveled. Unless you deliberately don't do any aux battles, which you will have plenty of time for during part 2. I think 15 characters is about the sweetspot myself, but basically if you want to use more than 10 students feel free, and if you don't, you don't need to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea you can rotate literally the entire playable cast on hard, which I did on my final hard playthrough. maddening exp is tighter because you get less in side content (quests give basically nothing, including the forced one at the start of the game) but you do still have a surprising amount of leeway. I did every paralogue on maddening (barring route exclusives) and dropped most people after finishing their side quest. tbh I still felt like I was over leveled by the end of the game

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
you can also be like me and play through with only byleth and the lord. killers in love <3

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpyVN5nTFY

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I appreciate the use of dastard amidst the torrent of swears to give it that real Authentic Fire Emblem Energy.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I raised about 15-18 people on every Maddening run I did and don't regret it- some because I wanted to do late-game paralouges that they woud need to pull their weight for (Caspar, for instance), some because I still felt the need not to over-level, so I kept a 'B team' for paralouges when it felt like main chapters were getting too easy. I can see where it might start to hurt a bit in Endgame if you spread yourself too thin, but there was no danger of softlocking myself by having my dudes too underlevelled like in some classic FE games.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i think i've seen this like 10 times and i still love it every time. it's the perfect FE content.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's Peak C Support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My level 7 Ingrid is +0 strength, +1 magic, +2 dex, +3 speed, +5 luck, +2 def and +1 res

from her base stats

she's a myrmidon so she's actually only +2 speed. :thunk:

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 15, 2020