Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's even sadder than that. The Knights of Ren are best buds with an unimaginably rich fascist dictator, but they live together in a smog-belching van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Is CotR the latest book, or has there been another since?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leif. posted:

Is CotR the latest book, or has there been another since?

Gadgets and Gear I believe was released after Collapse of the Republic.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Looks like they pulled the plug on Destiny. I hope that doesn’t signal the end of other Star Wars games they’re holding :/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Do we know the terms of their contract with Disney? It almost certainly includes a requirement for them to publish x amount of Star Wars products per year, right?

Or is Legion selling strongly enough to support everything? How's X-Wing doing these days?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so I ran the intro AOR adventure over two sessions on Discord and it went pretty well! People liked it and liked the system, and I've got the beginnings of where to go from here (this is the first time I've GM'd something other than a few one-shots). I do have some technical questions- does anyone have ideas for how to keep track of combat and stuff on Discord? I used the OggDude GM tools to have a list of characters but I had to track everything (including like "oh this guys in cover, this guy's got a extra blue from advantage") on a sheet of paper. I see the dice bot has an initiative tracker, which I'll have to use more I guess.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We killed a bunch of former Imperials running a spice mine staffed with Twi'lek slaves, and we're thinking about just kinda sliding in and taking it over. Any recommendations or thoughts for running an interstellar criminal cartel? It seems like a lot of pieces are there to be put together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, you're going to need a lot of muscle just to guard your massive stash.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Could always pull a Shadow Broker and just like... not tell anyone downstream that there's been a change in management.

Probably be harder than in that case since there's probably more face-to-face dealings, but if you've got a good enough liar anything's possible.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so I ran the intro AOR adventure over two sessions on Discord and it went pretty well! People liked it and liked the system, and I've got the beginnings of where to go from here (this is the first time I've GM'd something other than a few one-shots). I do have some technical questions- does anyone have ideas for how to keep track of combat and stuff on Discord? I used the OggDude GM tools to have a list of characters but I had to track everything (including like "oh this guys in cover, this guy's got a extra blue from advantage") on a sheet of paper. I see the dice bot has an initiative tracker, which I'll have to use more I guess.

I just use roll20. I've made rollable tables that you can enter in, and it's easy enough to spawn more on the whiteboard when you need them.

Tracking other things: you can use a tab on a OneNote for that, or just a notepad somewhere. It shouldn't be too hard, you can tag it next to their wounds/strain. That, and players should keep track of their own modifiers, as well. Just a matter of practice!

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I just picked up Edge of the Empire and I want to run a game. Are there any tips people have for running games in this specifically? I played a little Warhammer Fantasy 3rd edition ages ago, but that's the most relevant experience I have to this system (which is to say, practically none at all). I also haven't run a Star Wars game before, so I'm not sure what things to focus on and what things to avoid (For example, "Don't make your PCs fight R2 unless you want a total party wipe", or "Avoid starship combat if you've only got three players", or "People are generally cool with midichlorians now")

demota fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 23, 2020

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Are you running the starter kit or just jumping straight into it?

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

demota posted:

I just picked up Edge of the Empire and I want to run a game. Are there any tips people have for running games in this specifically? I played a little Warhammer Fantasy 3rd edition ages ago, but that's the most relevant experience I have to this system (which is to say, practically none at all). I also haven't run a Star Wars game before, so I'm not sure what things to focus on and what things to avoid (For example, "Don't make your PCs fight R2 unless you want a total party wipe", or "Avoid starship combat if you've only got three players", or "People are generally cool with midichlorians now")

I suggest a session zero to find out what your players are interested in. You COULD learn everything there is to know about space combat only to find out the players hate the idea of it. Once you've talked with them you can craft a story that's going to be more enjoyable for everyone and will be less likely to crash and burn (I've definitely been there).

Also, seconding RudeCat's question. The starter kit is pretty good because it gives you a little adventure to give everyone a taste of the various types of gameplay- social, ground combat, and space combat.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 26, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thinking about a Stormtrooper career. I'll post it for critique when I work it out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Halloween Jack posted:

Thinking about a Stormtrooper career. I'll post it for critique when I work it out.

Stormtrooper Precision:
Add [one setback die] to each ranged (heavy) or ranged (light) attack you make. You do not suffer strain from [threat] results on ranged attack rolls.

Fanatical Indoctrination:
Upgrade the difficulty of Coercion or Deception checks made against you one step for each level of Fanatical Indoctrination. Whenever you successfully resist a Coercion or Deception check, recover 1 strain for each level of Fanatical Indoctrination.

Rigid Discipline:
Whenever you roll a Discipline check without any uncancelled [success icon], you may suffer 2 strain and re-roll that check.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey does anyone know a good automated character sheet for Mac? I'm using OggDude but I've got one player who's on Mac and can never remember his die pools

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
https://swsheets.com calculates dice pools for you based on ability scores & ranks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.d20radio.com/main/fantasy-flight-games-long-term-plan-will-discontinue-rpg-development/

I'm glad we got a complete game

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah, buy your books while you can. :rip:

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So my group is gearing up to play Force and Destiny based game and I had a question since we don't have all the class splat books. Are there additional emotional strengths/weaknesses in all the books or is the warrior book an outlier?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Canopus250 posted:

So my group is gearing up to play Force and Destiny based game and I had a question since we don't have all the class splat books. Are there additional emotional strengths/weaknesses in all the books or is the warrior book an outlier?

I haven't read F&D much but I assume so since each playbook in the other lines introduces some new obligations/duties. That said those mechanics tend to be pretty flexible so you can basically make stuff up as long as its reasonable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gonna run a session where the PCs have to stop a private equity firm from gutting Incom and shuttering the X-Wing plant because pleasure droids are more profitable.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

All of them have examples, but you can always make your own paired Strengths/Weaknesses, as long as they make sense together.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It’s a crime that we won’t get an old republic sourcebook

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s a crime that we won’t get an old republic sourcebook

I would pay so much for that.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I just started running this game (got all the beginner boxes and two of the core rulebooks). I'll never get all these books now!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The good news is once they go out of print i'm sure a billion .pdfs will be available for freeee

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they already are....

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

shhhhhhhhhh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Perhaps whomever gets the SW RPG license next will actually see if they can have PDFs as part of the deal.

Probably not but it's a nice thought.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It'll be WotC. Using a force point let's you roll with advantage.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

It'll be WotC. Using a force point let's you roll with advantage.

I hate everything about that sentence.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
What's funny is how Saga edition star wars is better designed than 5e, despite being much older. It's definitely got it's own issues and all, but you just know that a new d20 star wars from them would be hot trash.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Saga is legitimately my second favorite Star Wars system. It was a bit fiddly but had it's high points.

(FFG, Saga, WEG)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Saga’s main problem, IIRC, was that it didn’t scale defenses well, especially against Force Powers. Was that correct or was that just our experience?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Saga’s main problem, IIRC, was that it didn’t scale defenses well, especially against Force Powers. Was that correct or was that just our experience?

Like a lot of level-based number D&D treadmill system's it did start to break down at higher levels. I find most D&D level 6-10 is the sweet spot for nice tight play.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Owlbear Camus posted:

Like a lot of level-based number D&D treadmill system's it did start to break down at higher levels. I find most D&D level 6-10 is the sweet spot for nice tight play.

Yeah, my campaign got to about 10th or 11th and broke entirely as one Jedi became a murderblender and the other one became so good at using the Force that antagonists basically ceased to matter.

In addition my first experience with it had one of the 1st level players Mind Tricking a 12th level bad guy successfully and derailing the GM’s entire campaign idea.

E: I still love the fuckin’ game, of course.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 20, 2020

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, Jedi can break the game early by going force heavy and taking Skill Focus in Use the Force. And later on its powerful as well. I seem to remember you could become nearly unhittable eventually as well if you go into defenses heavily enough as one, but really you can break any d20 game if you multiclass hard enough at high enough levels so...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Tying Force use to a skill in the 3e skill system seems like a very bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Making UTF the one singular skill was cute, but they should have stuck with the Holy Trinity of Control Sense and Alter for balance reasons.