Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This discussion just makes me want to watch Children of Men again

thanks thread :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

aka Post Brexit Prediction Simulator

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

This discussion just makes me want to watch Children of Men again

thanks thread :D

:thunk:

Ratjaculation posted:

aka Post Brexit Prediction Simulator

:thunk: :thunk:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think there was a Star Trek TNG episode where a technologically advanced/fertility inert civilization were convinced by Picard to allow space-poors onto their planet for breeding purposes.

I think I remember this one, because IIRC Picard was talking with one of the other officers at the end who asked something along the lines of "how do you know for sure they'll gently caress?" and Picard was like "They'll sort it out I'm sure" wisely understanding that people are generally horny.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i've said it before, and i'll say it again i don't sweat, i can't sweat, i didn't sweat

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Someone please start the "turn big ben into a bong for brexit" kickstarter to confuse all the express readers

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Adoption is not the easy process a lot of people who've never encountered the system seem to think it is "we'll just adopt" I hear people say. It doesn't work like that.
Source: self - an approved adopter (who did not in the end adopt).

In any kind of discussion like that adoption is used as really easy rhetorical panacea. If you were approved why did you end up not adopting?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vitamin P posted:

In any kind of discussion like that adoption is used as really easy rhetorical panacea. If you were approved why did you end up not adopting?

Long story that many years later still makes me cry. Completely inept social workers.
However, a friend and her husband were going through the same process some months behind me (we got grouped into cohorts for various group sessions) with the same social workers and thanks to my experience, they chucked the social workers out of their house several times and the husband particularly put his foot down on a number of items - which is actually quite a tough thing to do when you really want to adopt a child - and eventually they adopted a lovely little boy so I try to look at it in the light that my experience helped them considerably. (Strange to think he'll be an adult now!).

Some of the people in my cohort ended up suing the relevant local authority.

Here's a really stupid example (and one that won't make me cry) of the idiocy: we had to tell about your last relationship that hadn't worked out. For me, this involved something in Oslo. The social worker writes down what she thinks you said (wasn't allowed to write it myself). At the end of all the sessions, she showed me what she was submitting to the panel (at that point in time potential adopters were not allowed in to the panel discussions to answer any questions directly). In this, for that part, she had written 'blah di blah Onslow'. I said 'That's wrong, can I change it, it should be Oslo.' (she patently had no idea what Oslo was). 'No - if you change anything you have to go right back to the start'. So the thing made absolutely no sense at all.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 15, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The space poors were also space Irish

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hi britgoons i am working on a sousvide brexit survival kit
The first meal is bangers and mash. But im confused. Do you all put the potatoes on the left side of the plate or the right?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The first meal is bangers and mash. But im confused. Do you all put the potatoes on the left side of the plate or the right?

If you use straight bangers and make sure all the spuds are the same size and shape and arranged symmetrically (or use mash), people can turn the plate to suit, even top or bottom instead or right and left.

Ed: just noticed WCG did say mash LOL

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 15, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Long story that many years later still makes me cry. Completely inept social workers.

Do you think the problem was the social workers individually or the systemic process? And yeah it's so insane that you remember a kid you knew and suddenly realise they are now an adult.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Potato position doesn't matter, the key is gravy position. Pour a little bit on the sausages (only the sausages, never the mash) and leave a generously full gravy dish alongside the meal. If there is veg involved then position them on the plate as a sort of Switzerland-esque third party.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vitamin P posted:

Do you think the problem was the social workers individually or the systemic process? And yeah it's so insane that you remember a kid you knew and suddenly realise they are now an adult.

Mainly systemic.

Problem is that the social workers were so badly paid that to be frank they weren't the brightest sparks in the universe. Also, they weren't immune from the system. My particular social worker dealing with the adoption had been fostering a severely disabled boy since he was a small child and he was now nearly 17. She had been taking care of him single-handedly for all those years. When he would reach 18 then the care system would start to fail so she decided to apply to adopt him. She was rejected (this was a few months after my case) so they were going to move this severely disabled boy with the mental age of a 4-5 year old away from the only home he'd known for almost his entire life into the care system!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

S͙͇͙̈́̇ͪͤ́ͅķ̠̖̰͂̐͒ͬ̍i̦͑͗̓̏͗͌̏͠l̲̈́ͣ̽͌ͮ̂̊͠l̯̗̹̦̙͂̉̏͑̊͌s̮̤̳̜͎͚ͫ͆̔͝ ̫͇̠͈̊̎͋͠ŵ̽̉̈́a̦̻͎̟̦̖l̦̱͡l̠̞̝̼ͥͯe̞͇̘̳͙̗̟t̐̊̊s̛̠͖̲̘̲̼̦̄̆̅

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vitamin P posted:

Potato position doesn't matter, the key is gravy position. Pour a little bit on the sausages (only the sausages, never the mash) and leave a generously full gravy dish alongside the meal. If there is veg involved then position them on the plate as a sort of Switzerland-esque third party.

What are you doing with these dishes, freezing them for yourself or others? I don't like gravy as it happens.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What are you doing with these dishes, freezing them for yourself or others? I don't like gravy as it happens.

Presenting a plate of sausage and mash lives and dies by the details mate.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mainly systemic.
She had been taking care of him single-handedly for all those years. When he would reach 18 then the care system would start to fail so she decided to apply to adopt him. She was rejected (this was a few months after my case)

I don't know a thing about how the adoption service works but if she'd decided to adopt him at the arbirtrary age of 16 rather then the arbitrary age of 18 do you think that would have helped? I hope the lad is doing okay.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vitamin P posted:

Presenting a plate of sausage and mash lives and dies by the details mate.

I don't know a thing about how the adoption service works but if she'd decided to adopt him at the arbirtrary age of 16 rather then the arbitrary age of 18 do you think that would have helped? I hope the lad is doing okay.

As far as I understand it, you can't legally adopt an 18 year old in the UK. He was 16 when she started the process.
I have no idea how the lad is doing, I did see her out with him once many years ago on the London underground but it was through a train window and she didn't see me.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't like gravy as it happens.

:commissar:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Put the sausages in the middle of the plate and entirely encase in mashed potato. Make a funnel in the top and pour in gravy. Liberate sausages from gravy volcano.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Population growth is already slowing, and is projected to peak at 9ish billion before starting to drop again. We're soon going to face the problem worldwide that the number of old people needing care outnumbers the amount of people in society who can care for them. Don't have kids if you don't want kids, but don't be guilted into doing so by looking at one crisis and ignoring another.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Someone was asking about Rachel Swindon of Twitter fame the other day - here's a whole article about her here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/heres-the-woman-behind-britains-most-divisive-twitter

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The thing is that maybe we need to reduce population growth and/or reduce the population itself, but the way to do that (Both morally and effectively) is stuff we should be doing anyway, specifically, helping poorer countries grow richer in a fair and non-exploitative manner, and most of all helping women's education and empowerment globally.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Went to my grandmas for Christmas and cooked her and my aunt a Christmas dinner. I took most of the stuff with me, but forgot gravy granules.

She found some in the cupboard, and was all proud that she had some. Sadly, they'd gone off in 2005, and turning the jar upsidown and shaking it caused no movement whatsoever, it was just one solid lump.

After I'd refused to have anything to do with that, she found two bottles of "Instant gravy liquid" or something in there. 2006 and 2007.

We didn't have gravy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's entirely likely that grandmother's cupboards contain the second volume of the voynich manuscript, several japanese imperial treasures, and enough pieces of the true cross to build a 128 gun ship of the line out of it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ratjaculation posted:

i've said it before, and i'll say it again i don't sweat, i can't sweat, i didn't sweat

it is one of many bodily functions I shed on the honouraburu path hidden amongst the leaves

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

This is such a depressing post.

I haven't been abroad since I was 16 but at some point when I actually have money I really want to go places. See historical sites and cultural spots, talk to people from different places. I also totally want to laze on a warm quiet beach under some shade with a stack of books to devour. Another experience you can't really get here.

I want to go to Russia, Japan, Italy, Chile, Greece, Spain, I want to go to Flanders in a wet weekend in March to see bike racing. There's a whole world out there of beautiful places and fascinating people. Don't stay in loving Middlesbrough

I really thought it was quite refreshing. To me it's just a big heap of navel gazing bullshit. And yes I've done traveling so I have some experience.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know that going places and doing things really improves you as a person, I don't think the value of a person comes from the things they've stood on, or under, or next to.

It's just another form of consumerism and status bragging to me, painted over with pretty words to pretend to sound deep.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone was asking about Rachel Swindon of Twitter fame the other day - here's a whole article about her here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/heres-the-woman-behind-britains-most-divisive-twitter

"Divisive" is one of those great political words that is inevitably used to mean "Makes me feel uncomfortable but isn't actually wrong".

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Oh dear me posted:

Our own localities are full of exciting and interesting things to do, including things that are a lot more useful than lying on a beach or taking 'I was here!' photographs, and our lives are not long enough to do all of them. Travel might easily be something people do because they're unimaginative, or do not stretch themselves enough to achieve anything more difficult.

Travelling outside the UK is often cheaper than travelling inside it, because everything is expensive as gently caress.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nah, definitely some people treat it as something merely for bragging, and poo poo like the way Everest is commodified sucks a lot, but the idea that wanting to explore and experience the world in all its vastness and wonder is mere consumerism is truly bizarre.

Like, there's nothing in else I can visit that's the same as if I got to go to Chan Chan. There's no replicating the Acropolis. No other city is quite like New York. Each place is, of necessity, unique. And maybe the thing that is your favourite is something local, like, it's not as if I fail to see enormous beauty in the windy hills of Ireland, and that is hardly an exotic and distant land. That's great, I hope people in that situation are happy!

But I have felt, since the day I was born, yearning for exploration. Who dwells in this land, and what fantastic things have they created? What lies beyond the horizon? What infinite wonders might we find in our universe? The sea - the stars - pull at my soul.

To me, acknowledging it has often led to horrible outcomes, the drive to explore creation is humanity at our most fundamental, and our most noble. Imagine how much we might do if we put that drive towards good ends, of brotherhood, personal growth, genuine learning, instead of nationalist competition, capitalist exploitation, or imperial ambition.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1217343929122770946?s=19

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think there was a Star Trek TNG episode where a technologically advanced/fertility inert civilization were convinced by Picard to allow space-poors onto their planet for breeding purposes.

iirc, another example of Star Trek's longstanding weird vendetta against the Irish.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShredsYouSay posted:

iirc, another example of Star Trek's longstanding weird vendetta against the Irish.

Hey, they achieved full independence in 2024 in the trek timeline.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

the drive to explore creation is humanity at our most fundamental

This sounds horribly close to implying that those who do not share this drive are lacking in humanity.

To read that not wanting to travel depresses other people is pretty strong and spectacularly condescending.
I don't like to travel for a number of reasons and to hear that standing on a different part of the world would enrich my soul sounds a lot like being told to accept Jesus into my heart.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1217354468712419328?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've got some really impressive forecasting if they can pick out a 7% difference in the usual UK growth rate of gently caress all.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/AlbyEarley/status/1217200778550685696?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Population growth is already slowing, and is projected to peak at 9ish billion before starting to drop again. We're soon going to face the problem worldwide that the number of old people needing care outnumbers the amount of people in society who can care for them. Don't have kids if you don't want kids, but don't be guilted into doing so by looking at one crisis and ignoring another.
A large part of that is because they refuse to let us die with any dignity.

There's an evil little thread in British culture that doesn't want anyone to leave unless they've suffered sufficiently, and I'm not sure who to blame for it. The Dutch and Belgians have started to get over it so it might be a religious thing.

Anyone trying to convince you that the solution to an aging population is bringing more people into the equation is trying to sell you a pyramid scheme though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There's an evil little thread in British culture that doesn't want anyone to leave unless they've suffered sufficiently

:hai: - every Irish, Scottish and Welsh poster.