Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Is Leah a good writer? I have not read anything by her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wendell posted:

Reviews on Gwenpool Strikes Back are mixed, but Amazing Mary Jane is a fun book.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

X-Tremists was also really, really good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wendell posted:

She's had one very divisive title, Gwenpool Strikes Back (I really disliked it) but everything else of hers has been pretty warmly received. I loved X-Tremists, Mary-Jane is a ton of fun, and her X-Men one-shots were great, as was Giant-Man.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Working on my Previews order this morning and shaking my head at all these X-men books (which I am excited to read, to be fair). Glad some things never change at Marvel.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why was Gwenpool disliked? Bad jokes?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Yes, along with Gwenpool herself being written wildly out of character.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wendell posted:

Wasn’t that the one that opened up or had early on a moment where Gwen states she’s an adult and legal now and purposely sexes up her costume to get a bigger fan base?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I didn't read it but that did come up in the thread here.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

GSB was an extremely meta comic, even moreso than the original Gwenpool series, and because of that structure didn't come together until almost the very end. I think that it paid off but I also think it was a little more ambitious than she was quite able to make work. which is something I respect and I like her work generally enough to be more forgiving.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gsb being bad had nothing to do with how meta it was, but everything to do with the story sucking, the jokes not being funny, and her take on Gwen was wildly crappy compared to hastings' version

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wasn’t that the one that opened up or had early on a moment where Gwen states she’s an adult and legal now and purposely sexes up her costume to get a bigger fan base?
She brings up her age to point out that while she's always been "legal" Wade is too old for her, and preemptively scolds any writer who tries to hook them up in the future.

But yes, the first three issues of that series are way too manic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The first couple issues don't even seem like they were a part of the same mini at the end. I liked it but it was a rough start.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wendell posted:

Funky thot enforcer. Wow.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Edge & Christian posted:

I do think it's kind of interesting the evolution of the concept of what an "X-Factor" book has undergone over the decades, I guess a commonality has been some sort of "public" team, whether it was the 05 pretending to be a Mutant Hunting Service, or the Peter David mk1 "Officially Sanctioned Government Team" or this weird Mutant Police Department mini-series or the early PAD Private Investigation pitch before it turned into a book all about people having magic babies and fighting for control of Hell and time travel loops.

In retrospect, I don't feel like we talk enough about how every Peter David ongoing series for the last 20 years or so gets and stays really existential and weird around issue #12.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Wanderer posted:

In retrospect, I don't feel like we talk enough about how every Peter David ongoing series for the last 20 years or so gets and stays really existential and weird around issue #12.

This X-Factor issue about Siryn being in denial about Banshee being dead is one of my favorite single issues ever. Enough X-men get resurrected (even later in the series!) that assuming he will come back to life is pretty understandable.

Even the 90s X-Factor he wrote is way under rated.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hey, my Taskmaster book got announced!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How much Eric O’Grady are you including in this book this is very important to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would think okoye would be okay with maria hill being dead

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How much Eric O’Grady are you including in this book this is very important to me.

:same:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I'm in. I'm all the way in.

Archyduchess posted:

He won an Eisner for a not especially good OGN about the Green River Killer in 2012, and wrote little bits and this and that over the years, including a stint on Team Titans post-Wolfman. It looks like he mostly does screenplays now-- Tomorrowland and he was on the writing staff for the Watchmen show.

Being the son of the guy who caught the Green River Killer surprisingly does not qualify you to write a comic about your dad catching the Green River Killer

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
e: quote is not edit

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

None :(

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I for one, am glad of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Holy moley! This looks fantastic!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A goon writing a Taskmaster book feels like the gooniest thing possible.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Ah, for the days the "but what about the udon suit" arguments of what, 15 years ago?

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hell yeah Taskmaster

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Congrats Vulpes Vulpes!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Ah, for the days the "but what about the udon suit" arguments of what, 15 years ago?

I've resigned myself to Taskmaster never looking that awesome again. Still pumped for this.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I dont give a poo poo about Taskmaster.

Def gonna buy that book tho

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I've resigned myself to Taskmaster never looking that awesome again. Still pumped for this.

This is going to be the most awesome Taskmaster has ever looked!

(original costume 4eva)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This is going to be the most awesome Taskmaster has ever looked!

(original costume 4eva)

You're still doing Black Cat, right?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, Taskmaster is only 5 issues, it's all written.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are you doing any cons this year?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Can you tell us who else is going as well?

I want to make a list of the pros and cons.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The most successful goon project of all time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lobok posted:

Can you tell us who else is going as well?

I want to make a list of the pros and cons.

I broke my monitor trying to tackle you through the screen for that pun, thanks.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'm doing a bunch of Fan Expo shows as a guest- Vancouver in Feb, Toronto in March, Calgary, then probably Boston and Dallas. As well, I'm looking at doing Hamilton in the fall, as well as NYCC in some capacity again. I have my booking guy trying to get me on with Montreal, but we'll see how that goes. That and a couple little shows here in maritime Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Valkyrie is still really good. Which I think I've said about every issue now.