Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I find myself disappointed with just how alike many cities are. Their high streets are all uniform, wearing the same stores you'd see in any other place in the country. Sometimes I get this even visiting other places in the world. The individual cultural relics are preserved in enclosures like the dying species they are.

Even the adage that you need only to look up in a town to find its unique architecture is slowly becoming a lie as every flat becomes covered in the same cladding panels only varying in their colour and every town slowly gets torn down and replaced with the same stores.

Then you get into the weird part of town where a bunch of booj have made quirky stores and cafes for the sake of being quirky, at an extortionate price, and often unfortunately in very short lived endeavours. Here you'll find that guy selling shirts he printed and some lady who strang together some knick knacks and called it jewellery. Perhaps someone bought the local pub and sells a hipster's early attempts at ale or cider. There'll inevitably be someone going for the environmental crowd, selling half decent tofu meals out of a tiny cafe where none of the furniture matches, so they can tell you how it was rescued and re painted. I can see that they want very much for the city to have something unique, but the fact these places don't last means either they can't compete or people just don't share their specific niche.

Just took this picture of my cat

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DickEmery posted:

This sounds horribly close to implying that those who do not share this drive are lacking in humanity.

This happened with canvassing as well. A number of posters had to be reminded that it's actually ableist as gently caress to suggest that everyone should be out knocking on doors.

I've had to find a way to cope with the fact that I will probably never be well enough to explore other countries again. Tamping down on that desire was hard enough without being called a subhuman xenophobe for doing so.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I don't contend that everyone should stay where they're at, what I don't respect is the tinder profile "love to travel", with all the airports, crowded beaches, tourist-exclusive night clubs and backpack selfies. Carved yourself a niche back home that's so narrow and thin you need to leave it in order to "feel free"? Yeesh

The airports I hate in particular. anyone else noticed how liberals seem to regard ~the Airport~ as a temple of freedom and free commerce, when in fact they're just the worst kind of bus stop combined with three-storey mall? complete with stores and restaurants paying steep premiums for market capture.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The airports I hate in particular. anyone else noticed how liberals seem to regard ~the Airport~ as a temple of freedom and free commerce, when in fact they're just the worst kind of bus stop combined with three-storey mall? complete with stores and restaurants paying steep premiums for market capture.

I've never noticed that, no. Nor have I ever met someone who enjoys being there.

I don't contend that everyone should stay where they're at, what I don't respect is the tinder profile "love to travel", with all the airports, crowded beaches, tourist-exclusive night clubs and backpack selfies. Carved yourself a niche back home that's so narrow and thin you need to leave it in order to "feel free"? Yeesh

This seems like a pretty bold assumption.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Just want to add some stuff about the strikes in France: the government plan is for everyone to have the same pension. Except for members of the Senate. Except for the cops. Except for... Actually I forget who else but you get the picture.

Also I must say it's a too optimistic to call the government's announcement a victory, because they're not actually backing down. They're just saying they'll delay enacting one part of the reform temporarily (what they call the "balance age", which is to keep the legal age of retirement at 62 but permanently reduce pensions by 10% if you leave before turning 64) and only if unions propose some other way to keep the planned funding cuts. This would still gently caress over everyone who's born after 1975. This only pleases the more moderate unions that aren't striking. The more hardcore unions want the reform abandoned, period. So we haven't even remotely seen the end of these strikes.

The good news is that opinion polls still show a clear majority of the public thinking the reform is poo poo and the unions are right to be striking.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

OwlFancier posted:

They've got some really impressive forecasting if they can pick out a 7% difference in the usual UK growth rate of gently caress all.

I don't think that Brexit will do the UK any good but at the same time no growth forecast has ever remotely panned out as predicted

Kassad posted:

Just want to add some stuff about the strikes in France: the government plan is for everyone to have the same pension. Except for members of the Senate. Except for the cops. Except for... Actually I forget who else but you get the picture.

Also I must say it's a too optimistic to call the government's announcement a victory, because they're not actually backing down. They're just saying they'll delay enacting one part of the reform temporarily (what they call the "balance age", which is to keep the legal age of retirement at 62 but permanently reduce pensions by 10% if you leave before turning 64) and only if unions propose some other way to keep the planned funding cuts. This would still gently caress over everyone who's born after 1975. This only pleases the more moderate unions that aren't striking. The more hardcore unions want the reform abandoned, period. So we haven't even remotely seen the end of these strikes.

The good news is that opinion polls still show a clear majority of the public thinking the reform is poo poo and the unions are right to be striking.

That was me talking about that; sorry for loving it up :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Every day is a school day for you, eh? :laugh:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

stev posted:

This seems like a pretty bold assumption.

too spicy a take for ukmt: you're not required to validate and applaud the choice of accessories some social media person makes to market their personal brand.

a slippery slope, yes. you start out making fun of someone's semi-anonymous potemkin façade, next your grinding babies into fertilizer

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

grinding babies into fertilizer

Solving climate change and the soil health issues

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DickEmery posted:

This sounds horribly close to implying that those who do not share this drive are lacking in humanity.

To read that not wanting to travel depresses other people is pretty strong and spectacularly condescending.
I don't like to travel for a number of reasons and to hear that standing on a different part of the world would enrich my soul sounds a lot like being told to accept Jesus into my heart.

You're right and I don't mean to condescend. It's just genuinely alien to me, but I should have been more cautious with what I said and the implications of it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mehall posted:

Hey, they achieved full independence in 2024 in the trek timeline.

Unification sir. Data said that Ireland had achieved full Unification in 2024. When TNG was on the airwaves, Ireland had been an Independent Nation for some time.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

crispix posted:

Every day is a school day for you, eh? :laugh:

code:
              /--[>>>>] [ur post]
             /    ___
[>>>>]------/    /^O^\
               [my head]

but nah. every day is a living hell, more like

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Junior G-man posted:

It's cool (like you said, there's not a lot of coverage). It would be nice if it was actually a victory, but no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Unification sir. Data said that Ireland had achieved full Unification in 2024. When TNG was on the airwaves, Ireland had been an Independent Nation for some time.

At this rate it's going to be the irish unification of the british isles.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Question IRL posted:

"at least it was tastefully done" - the London Times, reviewing the 2045 Dr. Who Brexit 25th anniversary special

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Junior G-man posted:

This is the penultimate time I listen to what you tell me :v:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DickEmery posted:

To read that not wanting to travel depresses other people is pretty strong and spectacularly condescending.
I don't like to travel for a number of reasons and to hear that standing on a different part of the world would enrich my soul sounds a lot like being told to accept Jesus into my heart.

You're right, there's nothing depressing about people who get everything they need from this grey, bleak, racist shithole island.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean from my perspective being hooked up to the commodified consumption of manufactured distant exoticism like it's an IV drip seems far more depressing :v:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Music For Real Airports is a must-listen. For the full effect, stay up for at least 30 hours before listening and stand up for the entire thing, and maybe also have a grumpy oval office in a black polo shirt confiscate some mouthwash off you halfway through.

'Airports have some of the glossiest surfaces in modern culture, but the fear underneath remains. Hence this record is not a utilitarian accompaniment to airports, in the sense of reinforcing the false utopia and fake idealism of air travel. Unlike Eno's Music for Airports, this is not a record to be used by airport authorities to lull their customers...'

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCpWLhn2tfRKVCL35m9BeUVhBy440R61W

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pilchenstein posted:

This is the penultimate time I listen to what you tell me :v:

Please clap :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Not this poo poo again! We all know you guys can't clap to save your life!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A small.price to pay for blue passports and validation of my racism if you ask me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I am - wildly uncharacteristicly - with Tijuana on this one. I'll travel, a bit, particularly if I have to for work or similar, but I hate it. I think I've moved to a new place about as often as I've traveled somewhere new for pleasure.

who the gently caress enjoys airports

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If anyone here has posted about enjoying airports then please point them out because I'm loving baffled as to how people drew that point out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Airports got a lot worse since everyone got turbo paranoid, but there's other ways to travel.

It'd be nice if they made buildings with the duty free tobacco and alcohol without the paranoiac security theater though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
You all realise they say that when they like "travel" they're not literally saying "Oh poo poo I loving love flying and driving and generally just moving about", right? *Nobody* likes the actual travel bit (well apart from me and long train journeys), it's the stuff you actually do when you get to the place you're travelling to, which for some reason English has no word for that hasn't been appropriate for other uses.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

forkboy84 posted:

You're right, there's nothing depressing about people who get everything they need from this grey, bleak, racist shithole island.

Maybe some people are happy with their lot in life, I've not been out of the country for about 15 years and I don't feel racist or Xenophobic, quite the opposite infact, holidays have always been a rich person's thing to me.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Getting a healthy pre flight buzz from a not-paid-for-by-you lounge is the best part of flying and well worth the wall

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
some real loving worm brains in here imagining that the bit I enjoyed most about my visit to Rome was sitting half-awake in East Midlands Airport eating a loving terrible Frankie and Benny's and drinking a rum and coke that could be used to strip paint

ah yes the ritual sacrifice to Venga Airways, pop gods of travel

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the experience of actual travel - airports, train stations, planes, trains and most of all busses - is adequately lovely it puts me off the magic of seeing things, is my point.

road trips I kind of enjoy but then I don't drive, so it doesn't come up much.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
my favourite travel memory was being delayed in Detroit due to a mechanical issue, the part needed to fix it being in Atlanta and shipping of the part to Michigan being delayed by a thunderstorm in the Atlanta area, and seeing Brits going up and complaining about the delays on their connecting flight

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

I regret to inform you that everywhere is racist

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The coolest person in any Airport is one of the baggage handlers, no exceptions.

Tarnop posted:

I regret to inform you that everywhere is racist

Very few countries are as grey as the UK though. It's like the whole country is a black and white film sometimes.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

my favourite travel memory was being delayed in Detroit due to a mechanical issue, the part needed to fix it being in Atlanta and shipping of the part to Michigan being delayed by a thunderstorm in the Atlanta area, and seeing Brits going up and complaining about the delays on their connecting flight

Jesus, it's impossible to escape from us, isn't it?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Jesus, it's impossible to escape from us, isn't it?

I did wonder where all our "blitz spirit" went, but my hangover was kicking in by this point and I just wanted to sleep

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I mean from my perspective being hooked up to the commodified consumption of manufactured distant exoticism like it's an IV drip seems far more depressing :v:

What the gently caress does that even mean? "Manufactured distant exoticism"? It's just seems a way to say "I like having the narrow horizons of a 16th century peasant who only had the opportunity to travel when it came time to take livestock to market" while sounding like you've read a book. Is it manufactured local exoticism if I go to Inverness's piss poor excuse for a museum? What if I go to Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow, is that local or distant exoticism? How far do I have to travel before it counts as distant exoticism? Is local exoticism less depressing than distant exoticism and if so why? When does it become manufactured and when is it just a natural desire to explore? Or is the latter just not possible?

I dunno, maybe it's just because I don't travel, I haven't left this miserable loving hell of Britain since I was a teenager, over 21 years ago so it's about desiring what you don't have but at least I have the desire to do it. And no, the actual travelling part isn't actually very good (though I do like train travel. I find it intensely relaxing but that obviously assumes it's not a completely packed commuter train) it's about the destination.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
In latest Brexit news, the FT writes (paywall): Boris Johnson admits UK might not strike EU trade deal this year

"PM says only that 'epically likely' agreement with Brussels will be reached"

So Johnson is backtracking, even if slightly, from his earlier ironclad promises. Who could have seen this coming

EU's von der Leyen is saying that UK's market access to the EU will depend on how far UK is willing to go to guarantee a level playing field, i.e. if the UK wants more trade they need to sign up for more EU regulations.

EU is also saying that the UK won't get a deal unless they also give the EU access to UK fishing waters. Oh man this is going to (continue to) be such a shitshow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blitz spirit notable for being a big fan of foreign planes.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Don't ask me to remember what kind of plane it was, it was eight years and several thousand pints ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
As someone who has only travelled abroad twice the airport still has a sense of wonder to it. They're real strange things, and waiting there feels like what going to the mall to hang out was like in American poo poo on tv but with heavy bags

I'm sure I'd get sick of it eventually but its exciting still