Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Take a break from the thread and I miss gunchat?? Shame.

Anyway, after never affiliating myself with a political party I've finally registered as a Democrat since voting in the primaries is more important than the general this year (at least in the state I vote in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

shy boy from chess club posted:

Like the dreams you have about people that are gone seem so loving real until you wake up and it ruins your whole day

These are simultaneously the worst because of how loving real and vivid they tend to be, at least for me, but also I think they're kinda nice. When you wake up you feel really sad that it wasn't real, but at the same time it's almost like you got to spend a couple of hours with them hanging out. I have them about my brother and my friend all of the time, sometimes both together. Which is extra trippy because they both knew each other too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Everyone probably knows this but just had a pleasant experience swapping out ratchets under lifetime Craftsman warranty at Lowe’s now that they carry them. Last few years of Sears they were trying to give you a rebuild kit at best. They just had me go pick out replacements and did whatever in the computer and swapped them for new ones. Now these were made in USA models I got when I was 16 (42 now) and these are Chinese but they weren’t doing me any good stripped out in my toolbox.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Right on, it was your site which pushed me to start collecting them, as I didn't want them lost on the internet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

T-Square posted:

These are simultaneously the worst because of how loving real and vivid they tend to be, at least for me, but also I think they're kinda nice. When you wake up you feel really sad that it wasn't real, but at the same time it's almost like you got to spend a couple of hours with them hanging out. I have them about my brother and my friend all of the time, sometimes both together. Which is extra trippy because they both knew each other too.

Yea this is so true that they are always so vivid and the feeling is wonderful while you get to hang out with your loved ones for a little while longer. I had one about my friend like last week and I was so happy and her dad was there and remembered she was gone and when I went to ask him she disappeared and I woke up like drat. I have them about my pets that I miss too and in the dream I can never find them or they get away when I start realizing it is a dream. Last night I had one where I was in this house and the garage door was open and I was trying to stop them from getting outside and lost and I was moving slow and couldnt stop it. One of them I actually lost by her getting outside and I never found her again

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beach Bum posted:

HOLY poo poo SOMEONE FOUND MY GRANDFATHER'S STOLEN CUTLASS HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo

It's going down tomorrow. Gotta get the witness and the warrant but HOLY poo poo THEY FOUND GRANDDADDY'S CAR!!!

Edit: and of course I had to cancel a first date but oh loving well family comes first.

Oh, yeah? That's great!
What year Cutlass?

everdave posted:

Everyone probably knows this but just had a pleasant experience swapping out ratchets under lifetime Craftsman warranty at Lowe’s now that they carry them. Last few years of Sears they were trying to give you a rebuild kit at best. They just had me go pick out replacements and did whatever in the computer and swapped them for new ones. Now these were made in USA models I got when I was 16 (42 now) and these are Chinese but they weren’t doing me any good stripped out in my toolbox.

Ah, excellent! I will have to try that with some broken screwdrivers I have had for... way too long. Long enough that I should have taken them back to Sears.

Sgt Fox posted:

Right on, it was your site which pushed me to start collecting them, as I didn't want them lost on the internet.

Cool!
It's my intention to keep that part of the site up regardless of the state of the rest of it.
Makes me feel good that folks found it useful. I still get a random email about it every now and again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Oh, yeah? That's great!
What year Cutlass?

I lied was misinformed, it's not actually going down today, but it's hopefully going this weekend.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's -35 with a windchill of -45 and 70% humidity, it was -40 with a windchill of -48 at 7am this morning.

The air freezes to everything it touches, so everything is white and slippery as hell.

I use an old iphone in the window as a network security camera.

.....should i poke it?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Ah, excellent! I will have to try that with some broken screwdrivers I have had for... way too long. Long enough that I should have taken them back to Sears.

I googled it first and some Lowe's are misinformed, but take the tools to the return desk and they should have you go pick out the exact replacements. That is the official policy just in case you get the run around from a different store.

Powershift posted:

.....should i poke it?

As someone who owns a computer store I have been severely disappointed by trying to get apple batteries to blow up by slamming them in dumpsters and throwing cinder blocks and other things on swollen batteries.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beach Bum posted:

I lied was misinformed, it's not actually going down today, but it's hopefully going this weekend.

Date still on?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

As someone who owns a computer store I have been severely disappointed by trying to get apple batteries to blow up by slamming them in dumpsters and throwing cinder blocks and other things on swollen batteries.
We shot, because why not, an old laptop battery that wasn't holding a charge anymore. Slowly puffed and got to a couple hundred degrees but no fire or anything. Then we put it over the top of the fire pit and lit a fire, it eventually caught and shot fire a few feet out of the hole. A+ would shoot old batteries then burn them again.

Watching Hyperdrive finally...all the water stuff is pointless and stupid as hell. Drifters have a huge advantage. Hot great, not the worst thing I've watched.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 14, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Date still on?

Oh yah, I was able to reinstate that. She seemed to understand about the car, which was nice.

Tacos at 18:00, Rise of Skywalker at 20:00 (oh god I do NOT have high hopes going into RoS after the TLJ :ohdear:)

Also won :20bux: on LSU. It pains me to say as a lifelong UF supporter but GEAUX TIGERS :thurman:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 14, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Neat. My Cutlass S Sports Coupe is a '70. My favorite year. :)

Powershift posted:

It's -35 with a windchill of -45 and 70% humidity, it was -40 with a windchill of -48 at 7am this morning.

The air freezes to everything it touches, so everything is white and slippery as hell.

I can never live where you are, unless I never went outside in Winter, ever.

quote:

I use an old iphone in the window as a network security camera.

.....should i poke it?

everdave posted:

You have to use something sharp to make the layers short. And they don't explode, just burn, really, really, hot.

This is one of the laptops from work, right at 3 years old:

That's not the only one I have that did that.
Currently, our Dell batteries are at least just making GBS threads themselves after the 1-year warranty is up, rather than slowly exploding.

quote:

I googled it first and some Lowe's are misinformed, but take the tools to the return desk and they should have you go pick out the exact replacements. That is the official policy just in case you get the run around from a different store.
Handy info to have, thank you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

They're equally good about replacements on Kobalt (store brand) tools, which IMO are drat good tools for the money (especially when you catch them on sale).

I've been beating on the same Kobalt set for at least 7 years now, nothing stripped, ratchet is a bit sloppy but still works (despite being used with 2 ft cheater pipes several times, and beaten on with hammers plenty of times).

Darchangel posted:

Currently, our Dell batteries are at least just making GBS threads themselves after the 1-year warranty is up, rather than slowly exploding.

I have a downright ancient Asus laptop (~7 yrs old?). Battery somehow still holds a charge... barely. It's good for about 15-20 minutes.

Somehow it hasn't puffed up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 14, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: quot not edit damit :downs:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My landrover is suffering from a more severe than normal landrover curse this week.

I've already spent lots on parts for it this week and while turning it round tonight to finish bleeding the brakes an oil cooler hose popped. I already had a spare in the back because this is now the 5th time it has happened!

Hoping that whoever makes the set I have just ordered has a better hose crimping machine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus tap dancing christ.

We got a new fridge with a functional water dispenser and ice maker. So I had to get some fittings to adapt the water supply line. Didn't realize that the POs wrecked the threads on the existing fitting and when I tightened it I broke loose the lower connection and even though I had the main line off this fucker kept leaking constantly. Soaked multiple towels only to discover my new shark bite was the wrong size (1/4" fitting, smaller line) so I ended up having to dap some flex shot into the line to plug the leak so I could run back to lowes and find something compatible. It's all fixed now but what a goddamned headache.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You're just now figuring out that "loving POs :argh:" applies to houses even more than cars?

:v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did you miss the saga of having my front yard dug up?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Jesus tap dancing christ.

We got a new fridge with a functional water dispenser and ice maker. So I had to get some fittings to adapt the water supply line. Didn't realize that the POs wrecked the threads on the existing fitting and when I tightened it I broke loose the lower connection and even though I had the main line off this fucker kept leaking constantly. Soaked multiple towels only to discover my new shark bite was the wrong size (1/4" fitting, smaller line) so I ended up having to dap some flex shot into the line to plug the leak so I could run back to lowes and find something compatible. It's all fixed now but what a goddamned headache.

On that note: Refrigerator water feeds, dishwashers and clothes washers can do an extreme amount of damage to your house in a very short period of time. I have been dealing with the aftermath of a dishwasher leak that did a large amount of damage back in... September? My house isn't going to be back together until March, if I'm lucky.

It's been incredibly disruptive and stressful. Quality people are hard to find. There is a ton of work on the market, so people are cherry picking the jobs that they take, and the jobs that really take work are hard to find reliable people to do them. I just fired a painter yesterday after weeks of drama.

The reason I'm saying this is that a) you should replace your supply and drain lines on a 5-ish year basis, and b) there are cheap wifi or bluetooth water sensors that would have avoided all this nonsense. I strongly recommend having something that will notify you of water. I'm using some cheapo "Govee" brand, but it seems to be reliable: https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Wir...-search&sr=8-18

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I just had to get an Inspiron battery replaced at work. I pulled it out of my pack one day, set it down, and noticed it was wobbling. Pulled the cover, and the drat thing was twice normal size :stonk:. Pulled the battery out, filed a ticket on my phone, then sat down and twiddled my thumbs for 2 hours waiting for IT to get in (I usually work 0100-0900).

I think it was two years old? My IT guy also mentioned the Dell batteries are being massively shity lately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh. We have a finished basement so we don't have the easiest access to those. We're going to remodel the kitchen next year (we have a budget and a plan now) and we'll be replacing most of the copper with pex. I'm thinking I should build some sort of access panel into the floor inside the new cabinets so I can do things like that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Did you miss the saga of having my front yard dug up?

Nope. :allears:

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. We have a finished basement so we don't have the easiest access to those. We're going to remodel the kitchen next year (we have a budget and a plan now) and we'll be replacing most of the copper with pex. I'm thinking I should build some sort of access panel into the floor inside the new cabinets so I can do things like that.

And this when I realize why so many basements have drop tile ceilings. :doh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it would be handy. But I think my access panel idea for the dishwasher lines might be doable. I need to go pick up the kitchen planning pad so I can start mocking up my ideas. We're also going to be able to get at all the upstairs lines since they run through the kitchen ceiling and we'll be ripping that apart as well.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

I just had to get an Inspiron battery replaced at work. I pulled it out of my pack one day, set it down, and noticed it was wobbling. Pulled the cover, and the drat thing was twice normal size :stonk:. Pulled the battery out, filed a ticket on my phone, then sat down and twiddled my thumbs for 2 hours waiting for IT to get in (I usually work 0100-0900).

I think it was two years old? My IT guy also mentioned the Dell batteries are being massively shity lately.

Im so pissed with Dell batteries right now. My laptop is a refurb so the battery was 60% or something so no big deal I bought a new bigger one and that one lasted for like a week and now neither of them will charge at all and are big pieces of poo poo. Ive done all kind of resets trying both chargers and no dice, neither work. Only thing I havent done is reinstall the driver so I might do that when I get more annoyed

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

They are. Jury's still out on the latest model. And I just noticed that, at least for the unit I'm trying to get warrantied, Dell has removed the option for me to just email them or file a ticket. I actually have to talk to the motherfuckers, and I *hate* that. I do not have time to sit on hold for you slackers. There is a chat option, same issue. There is no trouble shooting. The loving battery looks like a balloon. Just let me email you pictures!

Im so pissed with Dell batteries right now. My laptop is a refurb so the battery was 60% or something so no big deal I bought a new bigger one and that one lasted for like a week and now neither of them will charge at all and are big pieces of poo poo. Ive done all kind of resets trying both chargers and no dice, neither work. Only thing I havent done is reinstall the driver so I might do that when I get more annoyed

Yeah, I really don't know what's going on with Dell and batteries. We don't have 1/4 of the trouble with Lenovo.
I've been saving the Latitude 7480/7490 batteries I've replaced in the last 9 months or so, just so I can take a picture of the massive stack and tell Purchasing to use it to negotiate our purchase contract with Dell when it's next up for renewal. I've got them buying the replacement batteries by the dozen, now.

There's 21 of them there, so far, plus some from other models in the background. These are just the ones that have failed out of warranty. There have been more that either lost enough capacity in-warranty (only 1 year, despite the 3-year warranty on the laptop!) or swelled up within the laptop 3-year warranty, which Dell *will* replace, unlike the just plain dead ones.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Since Dell switched from the normal round charger style that they used for 25+ years the batteries have been poo poo and there are huge problems with laptops not charging batteries or not recognizing them or chargers. They suck. Believe me I see it every day.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mines still the round charger so next I'm gonna buy one with a warranty and keep sending them back if it keeps happening

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My fire truck is live on BAT!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-toyota-hi-ace-fire-truck/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mines still the round charger so next I'm gonna buy one with a warranty and keep sending them back if it keeps happening

Yeah, I was going to say, all of ours still use the round plug, 19.5V IIRC, even the ones with the USB-C dock port - which *are*, incidentally, the ones killing batteries. They do spend most of their time on the USB-C docks. Related?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Plugged in most of the time though before I had problems I would let them charge and discharge pretty often thinking it might be good for it. Now I can't even unplug it or it dies immediately

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Maybe nobody else will bid and I'll get it. :D

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Watching Hyperdrive finally...all the water stuff is pointless and stupid as hell. Drifters have a huge advantage. Hot great, not the worst thing I've watched.

I don't even think I finished the first episode. Maybe I'm just too :bahgawd: but I cannot stand the stupid loving reality/gameshow/competition TV format and won't watch something that's done that way even if it interests me.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Good luck, that thing is super clean!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, all of ours still use the round plug, 19.5V IIRC, even the ones with the USB-C dock port - which *are*, incidentally, the ones killing batteries. They do spend most of their time on the USB-C docks. Related?

If you don’t see every type of computer every day it might not make sense but for example look up the ANCIENT dell d600 laptop charger on amazon or wherever. They used that same connector end for over 2 decades at least. Now they are still round but much smaller diameter (and often 45 watts) and they SUCK. The batteries go bad, the motherboards stop recognizing charger and battery, it’s just lovely.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone have experience dealing with a car damaged by a transport company. They smashed the OEM roof rack. Replacement parts are $2000 and they are offering $250. There was an intermediate broker, but they are basically saying tough poo poo, take it up with the transporter.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kastivich posted:

Does anyone have experience dealing with a car damaged by a transport company. They smashed the OEM roof rack. Replacement parts are $2000 and they are offering $250. There was an intermediate broker, but they are basically saying tough poo poo, take it up with the transporter.

Lawyer up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

STR posted:

I have a downright ancient Asus laptop (~7 yrs old?). Battery somehow still holds a charge... barely. It's good for about 15-20 minutes.

Somehow it hasn't puffed up.

My main laptop is a 2010 non-pro Macbook, and it only just started to complain about reduced battery performance in the last month. Still works, just doesn't last nearly as long as it used to.

I also have a 2004 Powerbook G4 that has an original (or at least non-aftermarket) battery in it that, while far from great, gets better than 20 minutes.

Of course, now that I mentioned it, one or both is going to fail at the most inconvenient time real soon now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the 3rd shift IT guys found out I used to work in a comic shop and now he keeps coming to this building and he won't leave me alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

last night I dreamt about buying a Subaru (which I then drove to a TOOL show).

Its a step up from my usual post-apocalyptic nightmares. I must read AI before bed more often.