Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NtotheTC posted:

the historic cars are why I'm so excited for the full AI rollout, I want to race them but I don't care enough to get good enough to race vs other humans. I just want to be able to set the AI to my pace and enjoy driving the cars

This is pretty much what I want. I loved loading up a bunch of AI in the first PCars and driving around them, but the AI sucked and they were either extremely too slow or way too fast for me to race them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I will destroy everybody in gooncar this sunday, either by time, or by shoving you into a wall.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Which GTE/GT3 cars do we run in the endurance races? Need to know which ones to buy

Also I'll be there for goon car if I can make it back home after reffing lacrosse in time...

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Which GTE/GT3 cars do we run in the endurance races? Need to know which ones to buy

Also I'll be there for goon car if I can make it back home after reffing lacrosse in time...

Historically the merc GT3 and 488 GTE but I'm not sure if thats still current

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Merc GT3 for sure, nowadays it's kind of a tossup between the Ferrari and the BMW. If you don't have one, I'd say go with the BMW as it gets you in its own series as well.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Awesome thanks!

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
any active promo codes for lapsed members right now?

I'm getting tricked all over by code sites, suspect there's none going?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

kcer posted:

any active promo codes for lapsed members right now?

I'm getting tricked all over by code sites, suspect there's none going?

They were doing a "black Friday" sale that was going on into December where you could get a yearly subscription for like $80 before tax. Pretty good savings for one year if you plan on using it through most of the year. I signed up for it like the first week of December, not sure if it is still going on. The website is not advertising it anymore but that doesn't mean the sale is off. Unfortunately I do not have the promo code...not sure if somebody else might have it? I couldn't dig it up in my emails.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

12-month Renewal only $82.50 (regular price of $110)

Use Code PR25OFF122019EARLY for 12-month renewal

24-Month Renewal only $149.25 (regular price of $199)

Use Code PR25OFF242019EARLY for 24-month renewal

This promotion is only valid on existing accounts.

Says it expired on the 5th though.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
ah, darn

thanks though!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just buy 3 months and the next day they will email you a 3 month discount code that only works on reactivation. That's how it went for me earlier this year.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is it possible to do sprint cars on a road circuit ? Im intrigued by these odd cars now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Technically yes but the tires are asymmetric so it won't be great.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
I know somewhere along the line silver crowns on iracing raced at the Glen, so theoretically it's possible with the pavement sprint as well.

Edit: it's always been a fantasy of mine to take my dirt sprint car to the local road course and turn some laps. I doubt it would end well.

Outlaw Mailman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 17, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think the Silver Crown either has regular tires all the way round or got them specially for those road races though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

I think the Silver Crown either has regular tires all the way round or got them specially for those road races though.

So that's an internal mod that pops up once in awhile ?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Silver Crown has a 0 stagger option to allow for Road Racing; since when they designed the version of the Silver Crown car that's in iRacing that was something they wanted to seep open IRL; plus it was designed to run big super speedways and that needed lower stagger options than the shorter tracks USAC typically ran. However that model of car failed and they never did it in reality; and went back to just using the dirt car on paved tracks when necessary.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

AI is up for the MX5 now if anyone wanted to try it but didnt want to buy the porsche

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If your iracing account has prolapsed, 3 months for 5 dollars. Reactivation only. Expires January 3.

PRLAPSED20191218A

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
During the last season Super Late Models ran at Limerock. It was pretty horrid for me, I couldn't quite get the setup because there was no base road setup available. You just kinda had to adjust on poo poo the best you could from an oval setup and somehow keep it legal which I was struggling with. I just looked back at the results real quick and best lap through 2 races was a 54.6 while leaders were running in the 51's. Hope that doesn't come up on the schedule again anytime soon.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

that sounds like an oversight on their part which is a shame: those cars are a load of fun on road tracks because of how comparatively primitive they are compared to almost every road racing car in the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

If your iracing account has prolapsed, 3 months for 5 dollars. Reactivation only. Expires January 3.

PRLAPSED20191218A

Mods please change the thread title to “iRacing: My account has prolapsed”

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Going to rejoin iRacing to do some pro laps

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
911s at Detroit is just hilarious.

Somehow managed to go from dead last to 7th with only one true overtake.

I was driving like the track was about 3' narrower than it was, just to survive for 19 laps.

The craziest part was the crashing started from the grid, track was blocked before start/finish by people who can't standing start, didn't even make it to T1 before I had to come to a complete stop.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, you had a very normal race is what you’re saying

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I mean, it was the carnage of a 911 race combined with the carnage of a Detroit race for maximum carnage.

I'm not sure F3 could even match it

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder this week's Gooncar is ~90mins from now!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

PRLAPSED20191218A

thanks! mine just expired and I was about to renew.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This just reminded me to go ahead and use that code after a long break and discovered I had $2 of credit too...

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Many years ago I signed up for a trial for iracing, only to find my setup at the time wouldn't run it. When I signed up years later, it was with a new account. Used the lapsed code to restart my original account, and after 7 years finally ran my first races on that original account tonight. I'm afraid I'm enjoying loving around in rookies with no concern for my ratings way too much, though I still suck in the MX-5, just like I used to. But at least I won both my dirt and asphalt street stock races against unsuspecting rookies. :yotj:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Ratings aren't the be all and end all but its good to keep an eye on them: especially SR. There's nothing more frustrating that only having one car/track combination in a week and lots of people go in with that mentality; put their SR into a hole and then give up because digging out is annoying. I don't think getting out of rookies is as hard as lots of people make it - I did it in less than a week for both road and oval without starting from the pits (and usually running up front on the oval side since the front of the pack is generally the safest place) - since although you will be involved in stuff generally if you are sensible you'll be less likely to get involved in crashes anyway.

Although going in with the mentality that its not that important is probably the best approach since that is when you improve racecraft and the other things that driving slowly and avoiding having any cars anywhere near you to gain SR doesn't teach and I'd argue the latter are initially more dangerous when they start racing since I think they fool themselves into thinking that they are safe drivers so wrecks aren't their fault even though lack of speed is often as dangerous as excessive speed. I had this issue in the IndyCar at Gateway luckily in a practice session: turns 3 and 4 are easy flat without thinking about it but the guy ahead of me lifted on entry: I wasn't expecting it and drove right into the back of him since I'd committed for the corner and the guy tried to blame me since I was being overly aggressive - its an issue you see in the IndyCar in low splits where some people just for whatever reason always lift even though no one else does and it makes them a nuisance if you're trying to deal with them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cross post from the sim racing thread, I mostly race skippies and GT3 Ferrari, so it would only be useful with one of them.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Those of you with shifters, either the th8a or the CSL shifter, do you find yourself using them over the flappy paddles? Do you find it adds to the experience?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I only have a G25 shifter (it does sequential + h-pattern) and I use it for gooncars when we drive the mazda / skippy other cars that use them just for completeness' sake. If I was racing seriously in a car that needed a shifter I'd probably shell out for a CSL one (the G25 has a habit of going into neutral/falling out of gear a lot). All the GT3/GTE cars are paddle shifters in real life so I definitely wouldn't use a sequential shifter for those.

e: I find using the most "realistic" shifting method does make it more fun, but if you want to be faster, paddles is the way to go. Most of the fast guys you'll meet will be using paddles even in h-pattern cars.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 28, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Skippy is now part of the iracing AI package..

Some new courses added too .

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder that it's the Daytona 24 this weekend, we've got two entire goon teams that are definitely not going to die, and there's still time to get some practice in and join us all in hell.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vando posted:

Reminder that it's the Daytona 24 this weekend, we've got two entire goon teams that are definitely not going to die, and there's still time to get some practice in and join us all in hell.

You will get bonus credit if you can be the team financier and bring like three or four spare cars for when we definitely don't die.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Look at this sick filth

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Which timeslot are you guys running? I always consider running a stint in an endurance race, and never do. If you have any use for a 3500+ IR driver with the pace and car control of a sub-1000 IR driver in the Merc, I may be interested in racing Friday overnight 3-5 AM CST, and/or 2-4 pm or 10pm-3am CST Saturday. I will be slow, and will likely crash in the dumbest way possible. Also, I don't yet own Daytona, so yeah, I'd be real bad.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

tater_salad posted:

Skippy is now part of the iracing AI package..

Some new courses added too .

I just had an amazing AI race in the skippy, complete with a computer car I was battling wrecking himself in a completely believable way on the last lap trying to defend his position. I'm honestly shocked how good it is this early in its release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I need to give it a shot.... I have been powering through some pcars2 career mode .. but the VR in that seems a bit less smooth.