Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The answer is in game it's straight up implied by how 2B reacts to the Goliath Fight ending and having to kill 9S that she's done this a few times, we also later see her memories which show a lot more history than the game accounts for, and there's stuff with 9S that also implies he's subconsciously aware of the cycle because of self-hacking. Lastly extra-content from stories and the theatrical performance spell it out, 2B's had to kill 9S over 200 times in total or something close, and it wears her down like the weight of the world, basically all the first time meeting stuff is for 9S benefit and the Commander and both Operators are actually aware of this and help to hide it, although nobody but the Commander and 2B/E know her true purpose.

I mean. It makes her Nietzsche-ian monologue at the beginning of the game a little more understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
One of the first things that I did after I got Ending E was just quickly booting up a new game on an impulse, at which point I was slammed by the newfound meaning of 2B’s intro speech. I will admit that I had been crying because of the endings, so I was still emotionally hyped up by all of that but yeah.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

i am tim! posted:

One of the first things that I did after I got Ending E was just quickly booting up a new game on an impulse, at which point I was slammed by the newfound meaning of 2B’s intro speech. I will admit that I had been crying because of the endings, so I was still emotionally hyped up by all of that but yeah.

I love 2B's mention of killing God in that speech. It sounds like bullshit cliche at first because JRPGs love killing God but the meaning continually changes up to and including the very end of the game.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

This is up there with some of Dark Souls’/Bloodborne’s best visual gags

Edit: oh poo poo son

Father Servo owns.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Midjack posted:

Father Servo owns.

Him and the racing bot hosed me up. "No-where else to go from here. Laterz!" *kills self*

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man, gently caress Father Servo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hikaki posted:

I love 2B's mention of killing God in that speech. It sounds like bullshit cliche at first because JRPGs love killing God but the meaning continually changes up to and including the very end of the game.

This game is genius. I had totally forgotten how cliche that “we must kill god” spiel sounded the first time I heard it. Now I’m pretty convinced this is the most slyly written game ever.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I sure am glad my PC copy keeps crashing and corrupting my saves :(

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

well why not posted:

This game is genius. I had totally forgotten how cliche that “we must kill god” spiel sounded the first time I heard it. Now I’m pretty convinced this is the most slyly written game ever.

It was definitely a subtle bait and switch playing with JRPG tropes in a more depressing and existential manner. I genuinely can't think of a game that pulls off as many narrative tricks as this one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It reminds me of Evangelion in that it manages to have its cake and eat it too. Yes it’s anime about robots doing cool fights but it’s also a full on critique and deconstruction of itself.

It’s meta in a way that’s not obnoxious or destructive of the surface level content. Lots of books, movies and TV shows dip to this meta level but it’s kinda unheard of in video games, at least at this production level.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Man, gently caress Father Servo.

Level up and come back, one of his forms has a steep difficulty step.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Reminder the Nier orchestra concert is in chicago in 2 weeks and the Saturday show still has lots of seats left.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

Level up and come back, one of his forms has a steep difficulty step.

I beat his red belt karate form, he was a massive sponge and took half an hour. 9S said whew I’m glad we never have to see him again which feels like we’re gonna see him again

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I beat his red belt karate form, he was a massive sponge and took half an hour. 9S said whew I’m glad we never have to see him again which feels like we’re gonna see him again

That is the last form.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

You’re done.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

well why not posted:

It reminds me of Evangelion in that it manages to have its cake and eat it too. Yes it’s anime about robots doing cool fights but it’s also a full on critique and deconstruction of itself.

It’s meta in a way that’s not obnoxious or destructive of the surface level content. Lots of books, movies and TV shows dip to this meta level but it’s kinda unheard of in video games, at least at this production level.
And Evangelion is Yoko Taro's favorite show. I actually didn't see it until after I played Nier Automata, but I think it might be mine as well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d believe it. I watched Eva afterwards and the feeling of ennui and depression is definitely reminiscent. I sometimes wish this game wasn’t a 35+ hour RPG so I could share it with others more easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

There’s a lot of weird stuff out there

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Boogalo posted:

Reminder the Nier orchestra concert is in chicago in 2 weeks and the Saturday show still has lots of seats left.

Huh, surprised there are any left. I brought a ticket for the London on February back in October and they sold out the same day.

Like five minutes after sales opened I was in a like 2000 person queue.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a lot of weird stuff out there

Don't worry about it :yokotaro:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is there any deeper meaning to the machines being named after philosophers, or is it mainly just for the goofyness of, say, Marx and Engels resembling massive factories?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

JustaDamnFool posted:

Is there any deeper meaning to the machines being named after philosophers, or is it mainly just for the goofyness of, say, Marx and Engels resembling massive factories?

Having recently played the game and read/watched a lot of explanations, it seems like the game parades out all these philosophers mainly to show why each one is dumb, wrong or assholes

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Having recently played the game and read/watched a lot of explanations, it seems like the game parades out all these philosophers mainly to show why each one is dumb, wrong or assholes

Especially Sartre, Taro really seems to have a hate on for Sartre.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is the game saying existentialism is self-absorbed, or just Sartre?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

God drat I want another Yoko Taro game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

History Comes Inside! posted:

He must be up to something

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

honestly sometimes i fantasise about yoko taro coming in to gently caress around with my favorite franchises, like yoko taro fire emblem, yoko taro yakuza, yoko taro tetris, yoko taro mario kart, etc

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is the game saying existentialism is self-absorbed, or just Sartre?

I think mostly just Sartre there. Like the game pokes fun at other philosophers, but it has some existentialist and absurdist themes. Sartre really is the only one who gets directly called out as an rear end in a top hat. (Well Nietzsche to an extent to but not nearly as viciously)

Smirking_Serpent posted:

honestly sometimes i fantasise about yoko taro coming in to gently caress around with my favorite franchises, like yoko taro fire emblem, yoko taro yakuza, yoko taro tetris, yoko taro mario kart, etc

I really want to see how he would make Tetris a depressing shmup about the futility of existence and fundamentally corruptible nature of man.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 15, 2020

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pascal made a wager, and lost

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Do you like final fantasy?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Bear in mind Yoko Taro's been working on a raid in FFXIV. Even if his main contributions are complete, he's likely still supervising and providing adjustments.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The best Nier / philosopher beef is that Jean-Paul was named Sartre and Simone was named Beauvoir until the Sartre estate threatened legal action. It was late enough in development that there's some lines where 2B says "Sartre" and it's bleeped out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

The best Nier / philosopher beef is that Jean-Paul was named Sartre and Simone was named Beauvoir until the Sartre estate threatened legal action. It was late enough in development that there's some lines where 2B says "Sartre" and it's bleeped out.

That’s hilarious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don’t think it would cost that much to re-record a pickup, I feel like it was an artistic decision to call attention to the Sartre estate threatening them

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Party Boat posted:

It was late enough in development that there's some lines where 2B says "Sartre" and it's bleeped out.

It was 9S and when the VA was doing his playthrough on Twitch he went WTF? at that line because he didn't recall the character originally being named Sartre and had no idea why they'd bleep anything out.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They still call him Sartre in the japanese audio, without any bleeping

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

That's because Japan doesn't give a gently caress about western usage rights and you can't win against a Japanese company in a Japanese court.
YT hating on Sartre and Nietzsche is pretty obvious, but reminder that he made Kant a literal infant.
Also, Marx and Engels get destroyed when 2B and Pascal seize their means of production.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Beefstew posted:

That's because Japan doesn't give a gently caress about western usage rights and you can't win against a Japanese company in a Japanese court.
In this case, that's probably a good thing. It's clearly a ridiculously petty thing to threaten legal action over. It would be a dick move even if the actual guy were still alive.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

In this case, that's probably a good thing. It's clearly a ridiculously petty thing to threaten legal action over. It would be a dick move even if the actual guy were still alive.

Satre and his entourage are accurately portrayed as assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So, in summary

Philosophers are dummies

Life is meaningless

Be nice to others?