Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Part of me wants to back Oath, the other part just says "eh, wait for the Pax Pamir reprint".

The artstyle will probably break my will and get me to back anyway.

canyoneer posted:

Don't forget the recently announced standalone game Cosmic Encounter Duel!

I read this post and thought it was a sarcastic joke.

Now I am confused and don't know how to feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Does it still have the normal issue where the gameplay is the exact opposite of the hot take in the rulebook? That is, does Pax Transhumanity actually show that transhumanism and capitalism is great, or do the rules incentivize you to wreck parts of the solar system in orgies of greed and arrogance every now and then to get closer to victory?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

golden bubble posted:

Does it still have the normal issue where the gameplay is the exact opposite of the hot take in the rulebook? That is, does Pax Transhumanity actually show that transhumanism and capitalism is great, or do the rules incentivize you to wreck parts of the solar system in orgies of greed and arrogance every now and then to get closer to victory?

All of the cards that end the game also trigger nuclear war. You’ll also be trying to bury your opponents great utopian solutions so you have time to get the patents you need to win.

edit: Eklund’s politics suck, but I’m pretty interested in trying the other Pax games. I’ve only played PP2e and PT. I would love to get ahold of Renaissance. I really enjoy the wide open sandbox.

Prairie Bus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 14, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been trying to get some kind of logistics pick-up-and-deliver game for a long time. People would recommend Roads and Boats but it had long fallen out of print and was a gajillion bucks. Well, my wife found a handful of a 20th anniversary print were selling out so I pounced on it. It sounds like everything I could have ever wanted in that kind of mechanic, but I fear we won't be able to play it much if it normally takes something like 4 hours.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh don't worry, you can play for longer than that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A funny reddit thread on dumb rules mistakes
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/emd9ya/what_is_the_worst_rules_blunder_you_have_ever/

Some highlights:

quote:

Pandemic. When an infection card comes up we would shuffle the city infection discard pile, put it in the bottom of the deck and kept drawing cards from the top.

We wondered how came we did not get a single outbreak.

quote:

Hanabi Rules Question:

Just got this game and tried it. What confuses me is the end game.

So, the rules state that if all three fuses are blown, then the game is a loss... so nobody wins, right? Score is irrelevant?

What happened was that I was winning a round, then the next player picked up the last card, so everyone gets one more turn. They knew I was winning, so just dropped cards, knowing the fuse would blow and I wouldn't win the game... nobody would.

Sounds to me like the rules are broken there?
Someone didn't understand the "cooperative" part of the game.

quote:

Smallworld. Thought you immediately got a new pairing when you went into decline, which you then got to take your turn with.

This made the strategy swapping your pairing every turn, for maximum spread over the board with a full squad.

It also made the game take nearly eight hours, and it was miserable.

Poor Smallworld has never recovered from that disastrous error.
An EIGHT HOUR game of Smallworld? :stonk:

quote:

I remember when I sat down to play Dominion with one group, and they played until 3 piles were empty always...just Provinces alone never ended the game.

It made it quite the horrible slog.

quote:

Errrm. I think it was all 6 humans in BSG? That was more a sleight of hand fail than anything else.

quote:

I played a game of BSG where there were accidentally 3 Cylons in a 6 player game instead of 2. It was pretty hilarious when we figured it out... The entire game the humans were doing terribly and we couldn't figure out how why it was so much worse than normal.

quote:

When we first started playing splendor, we missed the part about "only being able to have so many gems at one time". That number is ten. Not knowing this, I employed advanced hoarding tactics and effectively won every game...until a friend reread the rules.

I miss gem hoarding.

quote:

7 Wonders: Treated every coin as 1 victory point. Made trading in cards for coins better than most cards and made the coin cards rediculous.

My own contribution was being taught Steampunk Rally by my nephew. The drafting phase building your racer is supposed to be making a hand by drawing a card from each of four decks, choosing one to keep, and passing the rest. Repeat the draft until they're gone. He explained the rule as each player draws 4 cards, picks one, discards the rest, and repeats that 3 more times.
Turned a drafting game into cherry picking all the best cards for your racer with no duds.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

canyoneer posted:

An EIGHT HOUR game of Smallworld? :stonk:

How does that even happen with the rules mistake? Like the game doesn't take that much thinking. There are even a set number of turns, if I remember?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
[quote="canyoneer" post="501657586"]
A funny reddit thread on dumb rules mistakes
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/emd9ya/what_is_the_worst_rules_blunder_you_have_ever/

I recently taught my new gaming group 5-player BSG. I managed to accidentally switch the Cylon and Human decks before taking cards for the loyalty deck. 9 Cylon cards, 2 human. And somehow, I ended up with a human card, as did Gaius (so every player except me was a Cylon). We figured it out just before hitting the midgame.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Not a rules blunder but the best one I've ever seen in a game was in a game of Resistance where someone forgot they were a traitor and played it as if they were loyal.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Spyfall but no spy. Just neurosis.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My friends and I once played Werewords using a proxy, and during one round my friend switched all of our cards to make us all werewolves. We didn't figure out what happened until the end, so it was this incredibly bizarre situation where we all pretended to play 20 Questions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lampsacus posted:

Spyfall but no spy. Just neurosis.

This but all spy. It was pretty great and probably the best round we’ve ever had. Also did the same in a round of Fake Artist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bottom Liner posted:

Also did the same in a round of Fake Artist.

Yeah if I'm teaching Fake Artist to a group who hasn't played it before I love doing one round near the end when everyone is a fake artist.

Someone even worked it out once because the public clue was "FOOD" and he realised that nobody had actually drawn any food because nobody was game to make even a vague guess.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
At one point my group thought that in Galaxy Trucker, any piece that had been picked up and then returned to the middle by a player was then unuseable, by anyone. So, the only way to pick up a part and then use it later was to put it in one of your exclusive slots. It made the building phase much slower and more cautious.

We also thought that in Keyflower you got back all the workers you used for bids, even for successful bids. I kind of liked playing it that way, even if it wasn't well-balanced.

Also, at one point we had it that the instigator of a clash in Inis could hide in citadels (if there were any available after all the defenders had their pick). It led to some great dumb tactics where you could just charge into a province and guarantee at least one clan would survive the clash.

For a while, I thought that any Valley of the Kings card with a cost of 5 actually had a cost of S, as in, "Sacrifice a card to buy this". I have no idea where this belief came from, there's no ambiguous section in the rulebook or anything.

All of these were my fault, except the Keyflower thing.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

canyoneer posted:

My own contribution was being taught Steampunk Rally by my nephew. The drafting phase building your racer is supposed to be making a hand by drawing a card from each of four decks, choosing one to keep, and passing the rest. Repeat the draft until they're gone. He explained the rule as each player draws 4 cards, picks one, discards the rest, and repeats that 3 more times.
Turned a drafting game into cherry picking all the best cards for your racer with no duds.
Played that game for the first time a couple weeks ago, and misunderstood a pretty crucial thing. I thought you take one damage for EVERY MOVEMENT, and bad terrain adds to the total, unless you get a "golden/safe'" movement.

What's worse is that no one really paid attention to the mechanisms and calculations of the others.
I built up a big machine, managed to create a big combo where I zoomed to the front of the pack, destroying almost every piece of machinery, then got overtaken by everyone in the ruins of my car.

I then realized my mistake, but it was too late at that point.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't think we've ever played a game of Mottainai correctly. I think it's impossible.

Edit: We had a friend who really liked Ghost Stories and talked about how easy it was. So when he came to visit, my wife and I set up the game for him and just watched him to find out when he would break a rule... and yeap. It's a much easier game if you break the rules!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

When my friend taught us The Great Zimbabwe he thought that you removed your plaque from the generosity of kings phase when you passed, meaning that further bids only added cows to the players still in, creating a funnel of wealth to the top and combined with another rule error about the builder card being active on others' turns it was just a miserably broken game of two players having all the cattle and the rest of us never having a way to get more.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The first couple of times we played Chaos in the Old World we advanced the threat dials every time players met the conditions: it made it so Khorne could get halfway to victory in a single turn.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Completely forgot the On Mars welcome ship rule. People were nearly out of ships by the third level.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

...Pandemic infections

We started off playing such that during epidemics, the newly triple-infected city would be left as the only card in the discard pile (instead of being shuffled in with the rest and put on top). This avoids the possibility of an immediate (and mostly unavoidable) outbreak in that city (if it happens to be the top card after shuffling).

We played the "right" way for a while, but we've gone back to playing it wrong. You can fix the difficulty without leaving in this channel for random screwage.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Not a rules blunder but the best one I've ever seen in a game was in a game of Resistance where someone forgot they were a traitor and played it as if they were loyal.

I did better than that. Somehow my brain decided that since I knew who the baddies were, I must be Merlin. I played the whole game as Merlin and sat there at the end terrified I was going to get stabbed when someone said "hang on shouldn't there be one more bad guy?"

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Our first couple play through of pandemic we thought you had to eradicate every disease...

Took us 3 games to realize that it’s literally impossible barring some insane outlier card setup and ideal player roles

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Palace of Mad King Ludwig sure was a game. A game that replaced a pretty novel pricing mechanic with...a market row. I can't imagine preferring this over Castles. The moat consumed everything super quickly, though I'd assume that would vary game to game based on how people built out. Still, it wasn't particularly satisfying to any of the four of us.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Jorvik's $9.99 on CoolStuffInc right now.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We got some of the rules for Feudum wrong. Possibly? Maybe right? Who's to say really.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played 3 player On Mars for the first time today. Really dig it. So lacerda

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
What are some games out there that improve on the base mechanic of Machi Koro? I’ve heard Space Base is one. Anything else without going too far past it?

Also, I’m looking to condense a bunch of card games into a single box. Any recommendations, or is pretty much anything on Amazon fine?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Minus1Minus1 posted:

What are some games out there that improve on the base mechanic of Machi Koro? I’ve heard Space Base is one. Anything else without going too far past it?

Also, I’m looking to condense a bunch of card games into a single box. Any recommendations, or is pretty much anything on Amazon fine?

I've heard about this game Catan...I think it's based on some settlers thing? :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Minus1Minus1 posted:

How many cards we talkin? If it's a lot, like a bunch of Dominion expansions, the best bet is overwhelmingly cardboard long boxes for durability/price. If it's like 400-500, a nice long CCG box can be a good investment. I have an Arkhive 400 that I put all our card games into and it's been a solid investment.

https://www.amazon.com/Ct-800-Card-Storage-Gaming/dp/B00MWJQ7X6/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=card+box&qid=1579110361&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-8

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-Arkhive-XenoSkin-Card/dp/B01M3R4TVI

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Another card storage thing I like is the the KMC 1000 card box.
https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Card-Box-1000/dp/B0007N7P8K/

Also, goon run Burger Tokens sells these rad close-fitting deckboxes made for Keyforge or MTG
https://burgertokens.com/collections/frontpage/products/perfect-fit-keyforge-deckboxes?variant=21536847560793

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Another card storage thing I like is the the KMC 1000 card box.
https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Card-Box-1000/dp/B0007N7P8K/

I have 2 of these as well and found that a lot of my sleeved cards didn't fit, either height or width depending on the card size. They're pretty great otherwise.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can vouch for the Burger Tokens deckboxes. I have the sleeved ones and they’re great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess I should start bolding game names.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

We were ultimately displeased with Machi Koro due to reasons that have recently been parroted, but we did enjoy that game mechanic. We recently finally opened up Artifacts, Inc. and enjoyed it for having the same mechanic. However, there aren't many cards for it and there likely never would be an expansion, so the amount of gameplay I think you'll find out of it is ultimately more limited than some games. I also have only so far played it with two players, and I have a feeling the mechanics are going to come off differently with more due to some parts of the game not having a scaling for more players. It also doesn't have as much of an engine mechanic as I recall and no interaction between each player's cards.

Bottom Liner posted:

If it's a lot, like a bunch of Dominion expansions, the best bet is overwhelmingly cardboard long boxes for durability/price.
Coincidentally, I'm looking into this situation now that I have every expansion except Nocturne. How do people index and organize their cards in boxes like those long ones?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Coincidentally, I'm looking into this situation now that I have every expansion except Nocturne. How do people index and organize their cards in boxes like those long ones?

I put each set of kingdom cards in a penny sleeve and it works really well. Then just put them in alphabetical order.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess I should start bolding game names.

We were ultimately displeased with Machi Koro due to reasons that have recently been parroted, but we did enjoy that game mechanic. We recently finally opened up Artifacts, Inc. and enjoyed it for having the same mechanic. However, there aren't many cards for it and there likely never would be an expansion, so the amount of gameplay I think you'll find out of it is ultimately more limited than some games. I also have only so far played it with two players, and I have a feeling the mechanics are going to come off differently with more due to some parts of the game not having a scaling for more players. It also doesn't have as much of an engine mechanic as I recall and no interaction between each player's cards.

When I think of Machi Koro, I think of building things that may or may not pay out investments in the future.

Lords of Vegas kind of nails that. Chicago Express also nails that, albeit more player driven.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Minus1Minus1 posted:

You could try Point Salad or Century: Golem Edition. Neither are drop-in replacements, but both share some of Machi Koro's good points (very low rules burden, fast play, attractive/unintimidating components, choosing cards to upgrade your hand/tableau).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you want Machi Koro with better mechanics then Space Base is a good pick.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
My boyfriend just had a new bunch of games arrive, one of them is a bundle of weird looking tiny boxes and they're all called Tokyo ______. One of them is called Tokyo Metro, looks quite interesting - about running and investing in train lines. The board appears to be a cloth mat, and the components in all these Tokyo games are really nice. Anyone heard of / played this?

There's also one about laundromats, which has a bunch of small washing machines with tiny clothing items made of some sort of wool (?). They're very odd.

Also got isle of cats which we're looking forward to trying out!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you want Machi Koro with better mechanics then Space Base is a good pick.

I keep seeing this posited here and I am just kind of blown away. Isn't it just like.....Machi Koro with a bad market row? I've only played it once and I obliterated the others at the table (including the owner) because I didn't bother buying any nonsense 11 or 12 crap. I just bought a 4 or 5 when one was available and hosed around, it was at a party and I barely paid attention.

Machi Koro is about an inch deep but I don't see how throwing in a layer of thread anti-favorite Star Realms is enough to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If you want to roll dice and build a city play Castles of Burgundy :v: