Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I forgot how satisfying a charged sliding hammer bop was

Holy poo poo I'm sephiroth if sephiroth used something better than a long butter knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade

bought streets of rogue and its been a lot of fun

Yinlock

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm like 12 hours into xenoblade and it's still pausing combat to be like "oh, now would be a good time to tell you about double secret level 4 foomo combo buster breaks!" and I just can't with this.

xenoblade 2 has a lot of weird systems but they all click together fairly intuitively once you get over the hump of "what the hell am i looking at"

e: xenoblade 1 gives you p. much everything you need to know from the start though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 15, 2020

szkud

Tetris 99 is a really good Tetris. at least four days a week I wake up and play through the daily challenges and it makes me pretty happy. best :10bux: spent ever

~(‾▿‾)~

beer pal

prom candy posted:

i beat hollow knight the other day, what a good game. i played it a couple years ago and gave up a few hours in but this time it just clicked for me.

hollwo knight rules i even 100 percented it. looking forward to the sequel

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Heather Papps

hello friend

szkud posted:

Tetris 99 is a really good Tetris. at least four days a week I wake up and play through the daily challenges and it makes me pretty happy. best :10bux: spent ever

I miss having physical buttons. I would always try and have a tetris on me but the advent of touchscreens ruined that. I should get a lil LCD battery powered unit... hmmm....

vanisher

there was some study about how playing tetris relieves stress

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Yinlock

vanisher posted:

given the amount of panicked screaming involved in a tetris 99 match this study is horribly outdated

vanisher

here's an article

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

szkud posted:

Tetris 99 is free with a subscription you don't own it.

I was playing when it first came out pretty often, I had around a 20% winrate. I bet people have gotten better though.

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

szkud posted:

This but for Lumines Remastered. Chill square making while listening to 90s techno is neat.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Wattam is the most BYOB of games

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Wattam owns play Wattam

prom candy

Only I may dance

beer pal posted:

hollwo knight rules i even 100 percented it. looking forward to the sequel

yeah I think I'm going to try to get to at least 90, i think the last game i 100 percented was Mario 64.

pixaal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Wattam is the most BYOB of games

I'll check this out I love chill games

I find Birthdays The Beginning to be a pretty chill game. You craft a world by increase and decreasing terrain height. You need dirt to build and have limited storage for dirt so you need to like work on a valley and mountain range at the same time. Your land features change the water levels, temperatures and what creatures evolve there.

So it starts pretty boring and you are making single celled life and a place for it to form and grow (think extremely hot) then you work your way through time, I got to dinosaurs but it goes up to humanity. You do not place any life, life evolves in places that meet requirements you just chill and move land around and control the rate of speed time passes.

sig by owlhawk911

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I beat Hollow Knight but I'm revving up to try to Plat it on PS4 which is gonna be an undertaking because of the brutal DLC.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

pixaal posted:

I'll check this out I love chill games

I find Birthdays The Beginning to be a pretty chill game. You craft a world by increase and decreasing terrain height. You need dirt to build and have limited storage for dirt so you need to like work on a valley and mountain range at the same time. Your land features change the water levels, temperatures and what creatures evolve there.

So it starts pretty boring and you are making single celled life and a place for it to form and grow (think extremely hot) then you work your way through time, I got to dinosaurs but it goes up to humanity. You do not place any life, life evolves in places that meet requirements you just chill and move land around and control the rate of speed time passes.

That's actually really cool, looks like a mix of Populous, Sim Earth, and that weird ecosim Star Wars Gungan game (yes that's a real thing).

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Star Wars Gungan game (yes that's a real thing).

Meesa muy muy wanna know more about theesum game.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

idiotsavant
i got through the path of pain in hollow knight but then i got stuck on the coliseum place 3rd or 4th boss and havent played in forever

also havent played ori in forever to the point that ive forgotten all the controls but i think im gonna finish that first then HK

szkud

Heather Papps posted:

I miss having physical buttons. I would always try and have a tetris on me but the advent of touchscreens ruined that. I should get a lil LCD battery powered unit... hmmm....

Tetris DS and Tetris 99 are the best modern Tetris games and they both have physical buttons. I bought the EA version and it's awful.

vanisher posted:

marathon mode for certain, 99 get's a lil' sweaty unless you're in flow state

pixaal posted:

Tetris 99 is free with a subscription you don't own it.

I was playing when it first came out pretty often, I had around a 20% winrate. I bet people have gotten better though.

99 mode is free. ten buck unlocks marathon CPU and other stuff probably

This but for Lumines Remastered. Chill square making while listening to 90s techno is neat.

still haven't tried Lumines. I really should

~(‾▿‾)~

pixaal

szkud posted:

99 mode is free. ten buck unlocks marathon CPU and other stuff probably

Oh I have marathon from Puyo Puyo vs Tetris which has a Demo that I think includes Marathon mode. I wonder if people still play, there were some intense 1v1 Tetris battles going on there since I'm pretty sure Tetris had an advantage over Puyo so top end was basically just T vs T with the occasional insanely good Puyo player which still isn't too hard to shutdown due to both games handling garbage differently. (I haven't played in over a year and honestly can't remember but probably would after an hour or so).

sig by owlhawk911

Korean Boomhauer
theres a windows 10 fix for sim copter and i may do a byob let play of it because that was a game i put a lot of time into as a wee tot

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Oh, KB, you were asking about 1440p monitors that are good. I just recently bought this: https://bit.ly/2Tp6WKi

It's a Nixeus EDG 27" IPS 1440P monitor with AMD Freesync from 30hz up to 144hz. I really like it. The Freesync works on it really well and the picture looks fantastic. I picked this one up for $350 last week and it's a little bit cheaper now. There's a version without an adjustable stand for $50 less but I think the stand is absolutely worth a little extra. You can also tilt the monitor sideways to play Shmups and Pinball games that make better use of the screen when turned vertically.

The Freesync is so so cool. It has made everything that I've played on it look smooth and clear in motion.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

prom candy

Only I may dance

Korean Boomhauer posted:

theres a windows 10 fix for sim copter and i may do a byob let play of it because that was a game i put a lot of time into as a wee tot

my one friend had sim copter and i thought it was the absolute coolest thing. i tried to borrow it and run on it my computer but i didn't have a sweet pentium like he did so it was a no go. lousy 486.

vanisher

Korean Boomhauer posted:

is that the one where you could fly over your simcity2000 maps

I played the one where you could drive a car around your simcity2000 maps but i've already forgotten its name

szkud

pixaal posted:

Oh I have marathon from Puyo Puyo vs Tetris which has a Demo that I think includes Marathon mode. I wonder if people still play, there were some intense 1v1 Tetris battles going on there since I'm pretty sure Tetris had an advantage over Puyo so top end was basically just T vs T with the occasional insanely good Puyo player which still isn't too hard to shutdown due to both games handling garbage differently. (I haven't played in over a year and honestly can't remember but probably would after an hour or so).

Puyo Pop vs Tetris was so loud it hurt my heart

~(‾▿‾)~

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Update: went looking for an rear end beating at the hands of the fire chicken t-rex thing

Ended up insect glaiving down literally every large monster I've met except a pukei pukei in the ancient forest on a single expedition, including the fire chicken

All I do is spin spin spin no matter what

Korean Boomhauer

vanisher posted:

is that the one where you could fly over your simcity2000 maps

I played the one where you could drive a car around your simcity2000 maps but i've already forgotten its name

yeah! the one you played is Streets of SimCity and it was really good too.

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

One of my favorite things about this game was that you could evolve a plesiosaur, put it in a magic chrono-storage bubble, then bring it back out after you've evolved humans. Then it evolves into Nessie.

Korean Boomhauer

Jolo posted:

Oh, KB, you were asking about 1440p monitors that are good. I just recently bought this: https://bit.ly/2Tp6WKi

It's a Nixeus EDG 27" IPS 1440P monitor with AMD Freesync from 30hz up to 144hz. I really like it. The Freesync works on it really well and the picture looks fantastic. I picked this one up for $350 last week and it's a little bit cheaper now. There's a version without an adjustable stand for $50 less but I think the stand is absolutely worth a little extra. You can also tilt the monitor sideways to play Shmups and Pinball games that make better use of the screen when turned vertically.

The Freesync is so so cool. It has made everything that I've played on it look smooth and clear in motion.

woaaah thanks for the lead on this. I am a sucker for adjustable stands and tbh its not a huge deal if i cant get one since i may inheret a ton from work but having them built in is much nicer

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Look, everyone's saying Sekiro is cool. You know what is not cool and chill is beating your head against the wall of enemies.

And yes i've 'gotten good' - beat all 3 dark souls games (eventually) and bloodborne, but something about this is just infuriating on a level i've never experienced. just want 2 chill with the shinobis and listen to the dope music in the background and maybe save the dragon kid cuz he's nice

mysterious frankie

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Look, everyone's saying Sekiro is cool. You know what is not cool and chill is beating your head against the wall of enemies.

And yes i've 'gotten good' - beat all 3 dark souls games (eventually) and bloodborne, but something about this is just infuriating on a level i've never experienced. just want 2 chill with the shinobis and listen to the dope music in the background and maybe save the dragon kid cuz he's nice

Sekiro is the least good from game for non action savants like me imo because it has the least amount of meaningful exploration to do while you’re trying to calm down after getting beaten up by the same enemy for twenty minutes straight.

----------------

Bonaventure

by sebmojo
you can explore basically the whole game world minus two areas as soon as you get to Ashina castle though?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mysterious frankie

Bonaventure posted:

you can explore basically the whole game world minus two areas as soon as you get to Ashina castle though?

Meaningful tho. Finding lots of weapons and armor with interesting looks and lore that also give you opportunities to dress up and/or grind to improve them. Also bizarro dark fantasy settings dreamt up because the lead dev basically spent his youth making up his own stories since he couldnt read the books he was drawn to are more interesting to me than fictionalized ye olde japan take 500, but that’s personal preference.

----------------

beer pal

idk if its helpful but what i figured out in sekiro is if youre bad at parry timing like me you can kind of just like jam on & off the block button and sometimes you get the parry, but worst case you just get the block. like it seems like even when you're off the block button there's a little window where you'll still block anyway so it seems pretty safe

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
i couldn't beat the ape, but i enjoyed what i played.

i got real tired of fromsoft's 'gotcha' second health bars around DS3. quit the last dlc because of it; that and the stealth sections... and the poison swamp(s). lmao, what a dung pie.

vanisher

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I really really want to enjoy Sekiro so much - because I basically grew up playing Tenchu, but i'm in the same boat as you friend

mysterious frankie

vanisher posted:

I really really want to enjoy Sekiro so much - because I basically grew up playing Tenchu, but i'm in the same boat as you friend

I gave up after I got good at it and fixed my TVs game mode. There just wasn’t enough there that I like to drive my interest.

It’s super ok to not like a Fromsoft game, even if it does feel like heresy. Just don’t be mean to Bloodborne because if you do I’ll cry and I’m a linebackery 6’5”and few things are as sad and disturbing as a wall shaped man weeping

----------------

Bonaventure

by sebmojo

Meaningful tho. Finding lots of weapons and armor with interesting looks and lore that also give you opportunities to dress up and/or grind to improve them. Also bizarro dark fantasy settings dreamt up because the lead dev basically spent his youth making up his own stories since he couldnt read the books he was drawn to are more interesting to me than fictionalized ye olde japan take 500, but that’s personal preference.

you find all sorts of things through exploring and defeating minibosses and the full bosses that can be found through exploration though? Mibu breathing technique, leveling skill trees, health extensions, prosthetics, attack power upgrades... these all seem meaningful to me

i avoided fighting Genichiro at Ashina Castle for a long time because i thought he was actually the final boss. by the time i fought him i'd explored almost every part of the game world and was very overpowered.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie

Bonaventure posted:

you find all sorts of things through exploring and defeating minibosses and the full bosses that can be found through exploration though? Mibu breathing technique, leveling skill trees, health extensions, prosthetics, attack power upgrades... these all seem meaningful to me

i avoided fighting Genichiro at Ashina Castle for a long time because i thought he was actually the final boss. by the time i fought him i'd explored almost every part of the game world and was very overpowered.

Nothing the game offered, weapon/tool wise, caught my interest, I never thought the world or lore was interesting and just in general I never got into the combat. For a while I kept advancing through the game because I wanted to get my moneys worth, sort of like I’m doing with xenoblade 2 now, then I let myself off the hook after I got to the fountain palace thing because it seemed like it was never going to end. It’s not really arguable because I’m not telling you what the game “is”; I’m commiserating with other people that had similar negative experiences.

----------------