Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

Red Shoes v. Bullet Club is an ongoing storyline that has never failed to entertain me.

The Young Bucks selling Red Shoes’ Suck It, forever and ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think the problem with ref gimmicks in WWE/WCW and the like is that they need to go all in on them in order to be consistent, but this is nigh-impossible with the amount of screen time there is to cover in those promotions. Like, Nick Patrick was WCW's de facto Evil Ref from the NWO onwards, and as such he ended up reffing every single match on the first Souled Out pay-per-view, because it was supposed to be an NWO show. The problem was that he couldn't do his shenanigans in every single match without just compromising the whole thing, so he ended up officiating most of the matches normally and saving most of his antics for the main event, which I think even the all-heel commentary team of Eric Bischoff (essentially the PROMOTER) and Ted Dibiase questioned out loud.

When he went to WWE for the Invasion it sort of happened again. He was an Evil Ref because he wouldn't count the falls when a WWE guy had a WCW guy pinned for a WCW title, through a variety of wheezes like faking injuries and falsely disqualifying people (Michael Cole repeatedly referred to him as "somewhat biased" in response). Earl Hebner took umbrage with this (actually he just objected to the WCW refs putting their stupid smelly bags on the WWE side of the changing room!) and had a "match" with Patrick at the Invasion pay-per-view. This ended with Patrick getting his comeuppance via Mick Foley and Mr Socko. The Invasion, however, still wouldn't end for a number of months, so Patrick had to do his heel schtick sometimes - but not all the time. Basically whenever it was needed for a screwy finish. In fairness, his "CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!!" mannerisms whenever the WWE guys would win (which was always) were pretty funny, but it still didn't make much sense.

But then you have even more eye-rolling cases, like Slick Johnson in TNA was an Evil Ref because he took sexual favours from Evil Women. Because it was TNA.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

But then you have even more eye-rolling cases, like Slick Johnson in TNA was an Evil Ref because he took sexual favours from Evil Women. Because it was TNA.

:stonkhat:

How did anyone take TNA seriously?

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

extradite THIS! posted:

:stonkhat:

How did anyone take TNA seriously?

No one ever did

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Son of Man posted:

No one ever did

I've heard enough about rabid TNA hardcore fans to know this isn't the case!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
They let the X-Division guys go wild in the openers for like 5 years. That's it, that's why there were ardent TNA fans. Then Russo started writing for them.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

They let the X-Division guys go wild in the openers for like 5 years. That's it, that's why there were ardent TNA fans. Then Russo started writing for them.

They also had AJ Styles in his prime as one of their main event guys for a while. TNA always had its share of problems, but it had its good points prior to Hogan & Bischoff showing up.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hogan got rid of that stupid ring, so he'll always be better than what came before

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

They also had AJ Styles in his prime as one of their main event guys for a while. TNA always had its share of problems, but it had its good points prior to Hogan & Bischoff showing up.

AJ would get brief main event runs and then immediately be shuffled down for the real stars after a month or two. The real stars being Jeff Jarrett mostly but at least by 2007 he was being made a mid card geek for someone like Christian who was actually entertaining.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I remember the FSN era being really great. Am I misremembering? In my hazy memory, it was when the X Division was getting a lot of attention and we got those crazy tag team matches (including the tag team cage match) between AMW and XXX.

My timeline is most likely off and just mashing together all of the stuff I liked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I remember the FSN era being really great. Am I misremembering? In my hazy memory, it was when the X Division was getting a lot of attention and we got those crazy tag team matches (including the tag team cage match) between AMW and XXX.

My timeline is most likely off and just mashing together all of the stuff I liked.

It was a mixed bag. The show was OK and had better wrestling than the Russo era, but the company's direction was incredibly boring in 2004. It only got worse as they brought in Hall, Nash, Savage, DDP and pushing some really bad projects. But there were still some great matches to counter the bad stuff. But maybe half of the PPVs were good?

It was the 4-5 months between going off FSN and then debuting on Spike where the company fired on all cylinders because they looked at those months as inconsequential and let someone other than Jarrett have the belt and actually let the X Division main event.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The storylines were always bad in TNA, but yeah, I remember enjoying the mid-card stuff on FSN. I remember a lot of AMW vs. Team Canada (even in the mid-2000's it was totally nuts that Petey Williams was allowed to do that flip-over piledriver move in an actual televised wrestling promotion) and yeah, the X-Division was actually fantastic for a while when Joe, AJ, and Daniels were all part of it.

They looked like they might really be going somewhere when Christian & Sting showed up. Sure, Sting was in his 40's, but even at that age he was more compelling than most guys you were going to see on TV.

Also I was the one guy who actually liked the hexagonal ring

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The ring was fine, especially when the roster was mostly smaller guys who had worked in TNA for years. Part of it was the six sided ring in the Impact Zone was a huge upgrade over the 4 sided ring in the atrociously low rent Asylum, but it was an OK production look at first.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
"Shooter" Mark Curtis was the best referee.

"Pee Wee" Randy Anderson was good too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

You gotta hand it to them for following through on their promotion-wide gimmick of repeating every one of WCW's mistakes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

As a kid I always liked Joey Marella as a referee.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I like how Earl Hebner smacked the mat for a three count, good full arm extension.
Nick Patrick did a stupid little T-rex flailing forearm slap that I always hated.
Tim White always sounded like he was counting the 1 when he dropped to the floor, leading to many confusing 2-counts that sounded like 3-counts, or actual 3-counts that sounded like 4-counts and hurt the finish a little.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MassRafTer posted:

AJ would get brief main event runs and then immediately be shuffled down for the real stars after a month or two. The real stars being Jeff Jarrett mostly but at least by 2007 he was being made a mid card geek for someone like Christian who was actually entertaining.

The only memorable TNA promo I saw was Hogan talking to reporters backstage then Jarrett assaulted him with a guitar, laying out on the floor and leaving. Hogan groans in pain, cut.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

The only memorable TNA promo I saw was Hogan talking to reporters backstage then Jarrett assaulted him with a guitar, laying out on the floor and leaving. Hogan groans in pain, cut.

OK but name one pro wrestler from the 2000's who wasn't hit by one of Jarrett's guitars at some point

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

It was a mixed bag. The show was OK and had better wrestling than the Russo era, but the company's direction was incredibly boring in 2004. It only got worse as they brought in Hall, Nash, Savage, DDP and pushing some really bad projects. But there were still some great matches to counter the bad stuff. But maybe half of the PPVs were good?

It was the 4-5 months between going off FSN and then debuting on Spike where the company fired on all cylinders because they looked at those months as inconsequential and let someone other than Jarrett have the belt and actually let the X Division main event.

Ahh that's right. I totally forgot about that period between FSN and Spike.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve always wanted a ref who never got down and counted, he just stood there and yelled out 1 2 3. It’s how they do count outs why not pins?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
They need to see the shoulder, to slide their hands neath

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Chris Jericho: Was he known for anything before WCW? I remembered him in WCW before his heel turn as basically being a solid babyface and having good matches but not much else. Then the heel turn happened (Which was a treat to watch in real time) then he suddenly became amazing.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about Chris Jericho: Was he known for anything before WCW? I remembered him in WCW before his heel turn as basically being a solid babyface and having good matches but not much else. Then the heel turn happened (Which was a treat to watch in real time) then he suddenly became amazing.

He was being very good in Japan and Mexico.

And ECW for a bit.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Karl Ontario posted:

I think it is a nostalgia thing, most people associate him with their first memories of watching wrestling and assume he must have been good since he was in WWF/WWE for so long.

I feel the same way about Aubrey Edwards in AEW. Everyone says she is a great ref, but seems more like a hivemind thing than anything based on reality. Every match I watch Aubrey is over the top and draws attention to herself and away from the in ring action.

I think a ref should be almost invisible unless enforcing the rules or counting.

I kinda like refs who have character, and she knows when to turn it on and off in a way that adds to a match instead of distracts from it imo. She’s effective and when she calls people on poo poo it holds more meaning than some random ref the fans have no reason to respect

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

Him and Lance Storm in SMW was his first US breakout and basically what got him any attention that lead to later booking, he literally got hired cause Cornette saw him on a Lance Storm tape

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Karl Ontario posted:

I think it is a nostalgia thing, most people associate him with their first memories of watching wrestling and assume he must have been good since he was in WWF/WWE for so long.

I feel the same way about Aubrey Edwards in AEW. Everyone says she is a great ref, but seems more like a hivemind thing than anything based on reality. Every match I watch Aubrey is over the top and draws attention to herself and away from the in ring action.

I think a ref should be almost invisible unless enforcing the rules or counting.

this is why paul turner is secretly the best referee

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

He was a pretty big star in CMLL at a time when they were building new stars after so many top stars left to form AAA. He was doing more WAR but was still in Mexico pretty regularly.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I’ve always wanted a ref who never got down and counted, he just stood there and yelled out 1 2 3. It’s how they do count outs why not pins?

They did this in old school British Wrestling, as personified by the legendary Max Ward.

Not so much 1 2 3 as ONE-EHHHHH TWO-EHHHHHH THREEEEEEHHH

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just as long as nobody steals my ref gimmick of counting pins and count outs in 1-Mississippi 2-Mississippi

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I remember hearing somewhere that watching old matches with Earl Hebner refereeing, he kinda kicks his leg when it isn't the real finish and the guy is gonna kick out. And once you see it you can never unsee it. But I never bothered to verify if that is true because I don't care enough. But one of you might!

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

JK! posted:

If you read his diaries you'd know how great he is.

:fap:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
When did Delirious lose the book at ROH?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think Meltzer said he’s still lead booker but Marty Scurll is on the booking team now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nystral posted:

When did Delirious lose the book at ROH?

I can tell you when he should have lost the book, which is 3 seconds after he got it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

Ahh that's right. I totally forgot about that period between FSN and Spike.

It was also, for some reason, when they decided to bring Joe in and push him with the undefeated gimmick, which unsurprisingly got over big. (I think he even worked Liger during this)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Q: is Marty Scurll taking the book at RoH the right move for him? The guy could go anywhere and do well. WWE would want him and pay him handsomely, AEW is his natutal home and would also pay him a bunch. Why is he sticking with Ring of Honor? Can he even book?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Q: is Marty Scurll taking the book at RoH the right move for him? The guy could go anywhere and do well. WWE would want him and pay him handsomely, AEW is his natutal home and would also pay him a bunch. Why is he sticking with Ring of Honor? Can he even book?

They're throwing stupid money at him to work 40 dates a year and book. Its a great short term move for him, and AEW will probably be waiting for him if it doesn't work.

Also, because AEW has a larger roster than ROH they may not be able to match what Sinclair threw at him.

AEW might have been more personally satisfying but I bet every other member of the Elite 100% understands him doing what's best for his long term finances.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Honestly they might see him as an ace in the hole. Play out what they've got booked for a year while he works on his storytelling and makes good money, and then in early 2021 the AEW thread fills up with "it is Wednesday, my villains" frogs in plague doctor masks.

Wrestling has a tendency to toss away its old toys for new ones before finishing the game, so I'm content for Marty to be a later surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

In a year the competition may heat up to the point where he'd get more for jumping ship then than he would now.