Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Q: is Marty Scurll taking the book at RoH the right move for him? The guy could go anywhere and do well. WWE would want him and pay him handsomely, AEW is his natutal home and would also pay him a bunch. Why is he sticking with Ring of Honor? Can he even book?

Word is 1) He doesn't have the book but will be working alongside Delirious. 2) The ROH offer was simply put the best he got. Main roster WWE money for ~40 dates a year, involved with booking (also probably creative control?), is free to work for other promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

main roster money for who, though

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think the implication is "more than NXT money"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oh but seriously I posted:

main roster money for who, though

The chatter is a better deal than Matt Taven and Taven got 6 figures. Which for 40 days work is better than an awful lot of WWE guys on a per appearance basis.

It's also a great chance for him to get experience behind the scenes. Not just booking but production, agenting, stuff that could get him an actual career in the WWE with benefits and all that poo poo.

As for can he be a good booker? There's no way to know without just giving him a chance. Nobody could have guessed that indie scum junior tag wrestler Gedo would end up resurrecting NJPW business and having a first ballot Hall of Fame run with the book.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

(Parts of?) next week's Dynamite happening on Jericho's boat got me thinking... Would any of this, you know, AEW and poo poo, be happening, at all or to this extent, if WWE had just approved NXT talent to appear on Jericho's first cruise like he wanted to?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kenny or cody would be the champ. or maybe they could have worked something out with pac to be it. moxley didn't show up until slightly too late for any build for that. that stable wouldn't exist but jake hager wouldn't be signed either since jericho is the only person who gives a poo poo about him either way. a few ups and downs.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It was one of the things that made Jericho go "yeah whatever, later Vince", and I don't think they'd have been able to get the TV deal or the viewership they have without Jericho. He's easily the biggest name they have

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

(Parts of?) next week's Dynamite happening on Jericho's boat got me thinking... Would any of this, you know, AEW and poo poo, be happening, at all or to this extent, if WWE had just approved NXT talent to appear on Jericho's first cruise like he wanted to?

There are so many what ifs with WWE where if they'd treated talent/prospective talent better we'd end up with a vastly different landscape right now. What if they'd let Cody stop being Stardust? What if Bill DeMott hadn't abused Kenny when he was in DSW? What if RVD and Booker T weren't so gotten to about the Bucks not respecting them enough in TNA when they had their WWE tryout? What if Gedo hadn't turned them down for offering him a racist Japanese stereotype character to play when they tried to sign him in 2007 and the NJPW revival never happened?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lol at the owner of Flex-N-Gate just absolutely not being able to get TV without chris jericho. maybe it would have been 90 minutes at 6pm. i'll give you that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Maybe no one would have watched it. I'll spot you that one

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cavauro posted:

lol at the owner of Flex-N-Gate just absolutely not being able to get TV without chris jericho. maybe it would have been 90 minutes at 6pm. i'll give you that

I can see the argument that they wouldn't have gotten TNT without Jericho, but they could probably have gotten a similar slot on a smaller network on the other talent they had, especially if we're including Moxley.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The biggest name they have is christopher daniels.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cavauro posted:

The biggest name they have is christopher daniels.

Japanese deathmatch legend Luther

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that name is extremely small.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WWECW Legend Trent Beretta

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that isn't his name now, and it's still smaller than christopher daniels.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

aw gently caress

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The greatest wrestler of all time would be getting his due, I'm of course talking about Chuck Taylor.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Japanese deathmatch legend Luther

Wouldn't be signed because they wouldn't be hiring Jericho people.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther was not signed because of Japanese Death Match Legend Chris Jericho; but actually because of Japanese Death Match Legend Emi Sakura

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

karmicknight posted:

The greatest wrestler of all time would be getting his due, I'm of course talking about Chuck Taylor.

He would finally be allowed to say poo poo on television. That's the timeline I want to be in.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther was not signed because of Japanese Death Match Legend Chris Jericho; but actually because of Japanese Death Match Legend Emi Sakura

The NJPW/AEW alliance finally comes when Gedo, Jado, Jericho, Luther and Emi start an FMW revival stable to destroy both companies.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
BROKE: Make a deal with NJPW

WOKE: Make a deal with Gatoh Move and put the belt on Lulupencil coward Tony

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The NJPW/AEW alliance finally comes when Gedo, Jado, Jericho, Luther and Emi start an FMW revival stable to destroy both companies.

Run Kawasaki Stadium Todoroki will have to do, coward Tony :colbert:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Benne posted:

BROKE: Make a deal with NJPW

WOKE: Make a deal with Gatoh Move and put the belt on Lulupencil coward Tony

Run Ichigaya Chocolate Square, coward Tony :colbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fez_machine posted:

Run Ichigaya Chocolate Square, coward Tony :colbert:

Curse you, you've found the one way to actually make me watch an entire episode of Dynamite.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I continue my way through Retro Raw and Nitro, I askd previously about taping your fist and why that would hurt more. Somebody answered. But Bryan was always incensed about if taping your fist was illegal or not.

What about "loading your boot?" Is that illegal? And what exactly does that mean? Something about shifting a part of the boot around?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The idea of the "loaded boot" was that they stuck a roll of quarters (or something) in their sock and stomping their foot was supposed to move it from the side of their sock into the toe of the boot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Tell me about Rocky Johnson, folks. I realized this week that I really don't know much about him other than 'the Rock's dad'.

Was he actually a good wrestler? What are some key matches of his to check out?

Did he and the Rock still get along in his older years? Dwayne posts about his mom a fair bit on social media but I can't remember him ever posting much about his dad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vandar posted:

Tell me about Rocky Johnson, folks. I realized this week that I really don't know much about him other than 'the Rock's dad'.

Was he actually a good wrestler? What are some key matches of his to check out?

Did he and the Rock still get along in his older years? Dwayne posts about his mom a fair bit on social media but I can't remember him ever posting much about his dad.

He was a great wrestler but not a lot from his prime is online. Most of his 70s stuff is short clips and by the time full matches are online it's the 80s and he's past his prime. Last I heard the Rock and his dad didn't talk a lot but I think their relationship was better than it had been.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

MassRafTer posted:

He was a great wrestler but not a lot from his prime is online. Most of his 70s stuff is short clips and by the time full matches are online it's the 80s and he's past his prime. Last I heard the Rock and his dad didn't talk a lot but I think their relationship was better than it had been.

Their relationship must have gotten better over the last decade. When he died, he was living in an 800k house that The Rock bought him, and I have heard that The Rock bought him trucks. The Rock recently said that it was pretty hard to find stuff to buy for him because he had grown up poor and was thus super frugal and unlikely to ask for anything.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

collocation posted:

Their relationship must have gotten better over the last decade. When he died, he was living in an 800k house that The Rock bought him, and I have heard that The Rock bought him trucks. The Rock recently said that it was pretty hard to find stuff to buy for him because he had grown up poor and was thus super frugal and unlikely to ask for anything.

:hmmyes:

ain't what you make, it's what you save - RIP Buddy Wayne

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who is the shortest wrestler to do the "step over the top rope" entrance?

It seems like something only the exceptionally tall wrestlers do but I'm not sure if that's just their gimmick to emphasize how tall they are or if only really tall wrestlers can actually manage it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
john 'bradshaw' layfield.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Who is the shortest wrestler to do the "step over the top rope" entrance?

It seems like something only the exceptionally tall wrestlers do but I'm not sure if that's just their gimmick to emphasize how tall they are or if only really tall wrestlers can actually manage it.

I don't know if they ever did it regularly but I feel like this is a thing Spike Dudley or Crash Holly would've done.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You have to be pretty tall to enter that way. Look at where the. Top rope lines up with a normal sized dude when they are on the apron.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-vkSH4ahFI

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yoshihiro Takayama might be the right answer here. I remember watching him stretch to step over the top rope in NOAH. He's also listed as 2cm shorter than JBL.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I know it’s a few pages late, but I want to give a shoutout to the best referee in wrestling, who is in Brian Kendricks federation wrestling pro wrestling.
His name is the RILF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I know Luchasaurus is tall but he doesn't feel like he is tall enough to do the step over the top rope but I am not going to tell him he can't.