Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Itsuka no Daichi e

AOU Operator:
"The areas where drones can be used for combat has been updated. Military action anywhere in the Glass Sea is now possible."

"Haven't you been able to crush them yet?! At this rate, they really will set up a base right in the middle of the Glass Sea this time!!"

All countries have issues connected to their borders. All sides probably have their own say, and both sides probably have some things right, while their opponents probably have some things wrong. When everyone is rational, this doesn't cause problems, but once society's emotions burst, it eagerly seeks a speedy resolution.

That's why this isn't a war. That's why this is the true job of the guardians of the Walls of Peace! We aren't fighting! We're supporting the walls! We're just supporting the Walls of Peace...!

"Drive in the wedge of peace! This is only happening because we never set up Walls of Peace here, simply because it was a World War Relic!"

COU Officer:
"We've picked up a high-output signal on 8MS radar! Enemy units approaching! They're Gauntlets, nine in total! We estimate that this includes their ace kette, Warcat!!"

We avoided all casualties during our first strike in the Glass Sea, but now, I'm not sure if there was any point to that. If people had died, the COU probably would've decided to go to war sooner. Because no one did, peace lasted a few days longer. Were we the sprouts of war? If we had sat back and watched as the COU built a base in the Glass Sea, would war have been avoided?

No, of course not. In the end, the base would've become the spark, the process leading to war would've changed slightly, and war would still have broken out eventually.

"Warcat reads you. King, Triple, focus on your jobs. Don't think of stupid ways to show off!"

Kingfisher:
"R-Roger that! W-We'll focus!"

"Only the drones and printers are our enemies, you got that?! Not our opponents' Gauntlets. Don't forget that we're comrades supporting the walls!"

Tripleburger:
"Roger that! Both we and they are comrades supporting the Walls of Peace...!"

"Miyao, let's see if we can accomplish something as more than game pieces."
"...Yeah. I won't let the Walls of Peace fall...!!"

But even if they do that, they'll just be replaced by another piece, the successor to their post. Even if you think you're a genius or the most talented, there are so many replacement pieces behind you.

Sakurafubuki:
"It's Lieutenant Liu from Baibao! We're in prime condition here!"

"You have two missions. Do not die, and do not kill. Remember our oath in the Public Bath. Be sure that you are not overcome by hatred. There are no enemies here. Only comrades supporting the Walls of Peace."

Fudou:
"Roger that Lieutenant Liu! We're friends supporting the Walls of Peace!"

Hakurou:
"As long as we aren't fighting out of malice, this isn't war yet...!!"

Are we acting as proud as a tengu? After we bragged about having the greatest military might in the world, is there nothing we can do but delay war for just a few days?

No. Don't waver. Don't doubt. Now... is the time to believe in your own power and convictions! Don't think it's pointless because your power is weak! A weak power is power nonetheless. Even a single person can save the world. And our friends are Gauntlet Knights from around the world...!

Don't die, don't kill. I've decided to make that short yet unshakable sentiment the motto for my ideals, for my Order.

"This is Grave Mole! Miyao, don't worry about us!"
"That's fine, I wasn't worried from the start."
"Ah, I would've been happier if you said you were worried a little, even if it was a lie><"
"Hahah. Don't die. And don't kill! I'm not worried about you, but I am worried about Lilja and Koshka."
"Now there's a surprise. It's totally impossible for my bullets to hit someone I'm not aiming for!"
"We aren't allowed to kill people meow. But, if we're up against drones, we can be as merciless as we want, and it doesn't matter meow!"

In the B3W era, partly thanks to sci-fi movies, quite a few people disliked combat drones, assuming that they would surely run wild and turn on humanity. However, thanks to the A3W era's policy of maintaining a healthy military balance, they were now thought of as weapons that were kind to people, which could be destroyed endlessly without causing casualties, so large numbers of them had been deployed all over the world. Furthermore, after the earlier Gauntlet Knight Shock, an empty feeling had spread among soldiers everywhere, who thought going to the front lines might be completely pointless now. For that reason, the front lines were now populated almost solely by drones.

When fighting drones, we can bust through them without worrying about anything!

"Okay, let's smash everything up, boom boom meow!!"
"...Gaah, Lilja's in such a good mood, it's creepy."
"After all, we can be as rough as we want against drones."
"...Personally, I don't care whether my target is a drone or a human."
"But if I make Miyao mad, that'll be a pain for me later..."
"*giggle* After all, he's always helping you out in WanyaDora."
"So, I'll work a bit hard and make Miyao owe me one."

Grave Mole was fighting hard in the buffer zone between AOU Russia and COU China. Both sides of the Amur River were covered with flames from a fierce bombardment of cannon fire being traded between drones. Grave Mole specialized in defense, so this was the location where they were best able to make use of their abilities.

Chloe and Lilja were extremely talented at controlling drones. Their numerically inferior group of friendly drones was more than holding its own against their opponent. And, Koshka could use her genius sniping ability to shoot down the observation drones that were the enemy's eyes, one after another.

"Yes, please hurry! We're good on Spiritium, but we're getting a bit tired><"

AOU Operator:
"Please hold your position until Baba Yaga Squad arrives. They should reach your airspace any moment now!"

There was a long history of conflict between those two countries regarding the Amur River and most of its tributaries, as well as their sandbanks and islands. In the B3W era, treaties had completely resolved the issue, but whenever society's emotions burst, treaties between countries are easily swept aside by the flood. However, floods can be held back by walls. Withstanding the anger of public sentiment is what the Walls of Peace are there to do...!

"I hear you! I'm sorry, but I'm really busy right now><"
"Heheheheheh. Forgive me, but you're about to get even busier."

AOU Officer:
"Grave Mole, be careful! Our 8MS radar has detected approaching Aerial Augmented Infantry units! They're moving exceptionally fast, so be on your guards!"

"Meow meoooow. And I was just getting bored playing with drones meoooooooow."
"It pleases me to hear that. I will hold back, but forgive me if I do cause some level of injury!"
"Keh. Make sure your shields are firmly up too, okay? My bullets can pierce a half-assed shield in a single strike!"
"...Even though they should be close enough to engage, I can't see them...!"
"Nobly retreat when your shields are destroyed. Now then, prepare yourselves!!"
"Huh?!?!"

Human emotions can become overwhelming at times. However, anger always fades. Calm returns. This is something that always happens. Why? Because humans are creatures who love peace! Only temporary emotions make us desire war! And once we see it in front of us, we should wake up right away! So surely, definitely, absolutely, immediately, the world will regain its calm!

...Until it does, let's give it our all, everyone...!

BGM: Deeply Remember

"The ABN is still having scuffles with neighboring countries, but the fighting seems to be particularly fierce against COU India and ACR Libya."
"The indefinitely leased land along the shore of the Mediterranean Sea was the one remaining thorn after the unification of Africa, after all. It would have become a source of conflict eventually. Now, that's suddenly blown up after this bizarre worldwide war craze."

Sadly, skirmishes were breaking out all over the world. I really don't want to call this World War IV, so I'll call them skirmishes instead.

It seems Stanisław and Rethabile each told their friends about the rules of the Order. Unlike the general public that was irresponsibly frantic for war, we had smelled the gunpowder smoke directly. Because all of us were clear-thinking and wanted our governments and peoples to regain their cool quickly, everyone apparently promised to follow the rules we had set. Fortunately, all of the skirmishes were taking place in buffer zones, national boundaries, and disputed territories. In other words, within the Walls of Peace. At the moment, the wars all over the world are still being constrained by rationality.

"There are potential sources of conflict between all countries. What matters is whether you let them sprout or not, that's all."
"...Even Japan and China have fought a whole bunch of times since long ago."
"Yes. There's no shortage of possible triggers between us. They grow and recede as we fight and then make up again. Though that's happened many times, both sides have been able to get along with each other."
"...Well, it's probably because old men from long ago all decided that solving these problems would be too much of a pain, so they just kept putting them off."
"No. The fact that they put them off is a sign of their wisdom."
"Indeed. What do you think it means to completely solve a problem between two countries? Old men like those you spoke of did try to completely solve such problems, on certain occasions."
"Final solutions for problems that span nations... Do you really need me to explain how bloody and terrifying those can be?"

"...Instead of something horrible like that, isn't it possible to resolve things by peacefully talking it out...?"
"Even if you could, when the next generation comes or society's emotions change, they'll say that the resolution was a humiliating compromise, an unfair decision. They'll go on the attack and say they need to strike back and renegotiate, which can become a source of conflict again."
"Your ancestors often had to live with sources of conflict, frequently making compromises. You mustn't act as though they took those problems and forced them all on you."
"Just like our ancestors, our generation has been passed the embers of conflict, and there's nothing we can do except calm the flames and pass them into the future. That's the ideal solution."
"...Does that mean that problems between countries...can't be resolved?"
"I'm sure relationships between countries are like a garden with a freshly mown lawn."
"...You're right. Lawn gardens are beautiful because they're well-maintained."
"Exactly. You can pluck sprouts of war. That's how you maintain a friendly garden between countries. However, because you're dealing with matters between humans -- because it's a lawn garden -- there's no getting around the fact that sprouts of war will appear periodically."
"So, making sure you keep maintaining it...is what friendship between countries means?"
"That's what the world decided, after going through three world wars. They also realized that past wars can foreshadow future wars, so they sealed up the entire history of World War III."
"So, they realized that by maintaining a healthy military balance, instead of simply maintaining peace, they would be protected by Walls of Peace that could withstand the periodic outbreak of wars and feuds."

"Chomping down on gyoza with white rice is how Japanese boys do. I won't let you bad-mouth it."

During times of peace, it's possible to respect differences in culture as representative of both countries' personalities. However, when relations break down, even the results of soccer matches can become sprouts of war.

"By avoiding 'final' solutions for problems and putting them off, you encourage both sides to cool their heads for the time being. This is the method of protecting peace that humanity finally learned after millenia."
"...And it's our job to bear the brunt of wars that come from trying to put those issues off... In the end, we aren't going to resolve any of the various issues causing wars all over the world, and we'll push them off into the future."
"But there's also no need to get negative. Like excretion, we have to think of it as something filthy, yet necessary for human life, and accept it."
"Right now, even the ACR is causing skirmishes because of the Atlantis Spirit Field and the Mozambique Channel issue. Of course, we're also going at it with Stan's ABN on the ACR's Mediterranean Sea coast."
"To people in the ABN, the indefinitely leased land and the refugee camps along the shore of the Mediterranean Sea are a problem caused by the ACR, but Rethabile would probably tell you the exact opposite thing. And, asking her about it or debating it would be pointless."
"Indeed. We couldn't win in an argument, and there isn't likely to be a peaceful solution. After all, both sides think they're in the right."
"...It makes you wish...that a third party's perspective could resolve the matter peacefully someday."
"Hahahahahahah! Just like how the Chinese can't bear the thought of eating jiaozi with rice, I suppose you AOU Japanese couldn't bear it if the COU Japanese started eating okonomiyaki with rice."
"Yeah, that's no good, I'll have none of that, no way we'd get along. Hahahaha..."
"The problem still remains because it cannot be solved. If you get all excited about solving it yourself, don't you think that's arrogant and rude to our ancestors, who reluctantly decided that they had to set the matter aside, over and over again, after thinking about it long and hard...?"
"I may not agree with him 100%, but Stan does say some interesting things, now and then."

After all, people in the A3W era created the new concept of the healthy military balance, one that would probably horrify someone from the B3W era. Maybe people in the A4W era will come up with the crazy new concept of healthily shelving problems between countries and just letting things slide...

Even though I don't want people complaining about me eating rice with gyoza, I have no intention of changing my feelings about eating rice with okonomiyaki. And, in truth, none of that matters at all. Unless you skillfully dodge issues like that, I bet you'll never get world peace...

Still, the one thing I can't get off my mind is the way the whole world is getting excited and succumbing to war fever. Normally, when something as massive as a war breaks out, some percentage of people will get scared, and even more will say that they hadn't mentioned it before, but they actually are opposed to war...

BGM: Ominous3

"The ACR has them. An anti-war camp. Though, they're just being spurred on by anti-monarchists."
"It's the same in the ABN. There are a few voices who oppose war, but they're all radical fundamentalists who oppose the integrated religion. They don't have the support of the public."
"There seems to be a minority of people espousing anti-war views in the COU as well. Thinking it would be better if their views were spread a bit further, I paid a quick visit to a site where they were making their claims, but... "
"...When you put it that way, there technically are several groups who are anti-war in the AOU. But... I think it'd be pretty hard to call them peaceful organizations."
"Stanisław" has sent you one video poyo! It's been given a "Viewer Discretion Advised" tag poyo! Watch it at your own risk poyo!
"...That video was big news in the ABN the other day, in a bad way. You don't have to watch it. If not, I'll give you a simple description of it."

Though they claimed to be for peace, they looked violent and seemed to be the exact opposite of peaceful people...

Then, the camera suddenly jerked around, showing a pair of people struggling in an over-the-shoulder shot. Apparently, a boy watching from the side of the road had made a hand gesture expressing contempt for their claims. It seemed as though this had driven them into a frenzy, and they rushed the boy. Then, they used the boy as a punching bag. As the camera proudly captured this scene, someone cried out.

"...Aren't they just a group of thugs using opposition against the war as an excuse to hurt people?"
"Recently, the ACR has also seen groups with exclusionist views uploading videos. Their contents aren't that different from what we just saw."

Oppose the war. The government must repent! ...They would say things like that, one-sidedly assuming that everyone who didn't agree with their views must be a war supporter and cruelly insulting them. Then, they moved on to claim that anyone who supported war couldn't complain if war was launched against them, not even if someone were to suddenly punch them, in effect calling for a sort of indiscriminate terrorism...

"Some of the positions seen in the COU are exactly the same. They claim to be for peace, but they're incredibly violent, and it's completely impossible to agree with them."
"...The AOU is just like that too. I don't even count that as petitioning for peace."
"This is just the mood on the COU nets, but if you say you're for peace, people tend to assume that you're with them."
"It's exactly like that here. Even though some people really want to say they're anti-war, because of some weirdos, people will assume you're one of those violent people if you speak up. People don't want that, so while they avoid proactively supporting the government, they stay quiet instead of saying they're for peace..."
"It's unthinkable that those people are true pacifists. Presumably, they've also been struck with this war fever, but they're expressing it in a way that's the exact opposite of obedience to their governments. At their core, they're suffering just as much from this fever as anyone else."
"...I'm not sure if it's coincidental or intentional, but there's no denying that groups of what we might call radical pacifists are earning the public's disfavor across the world. And because of that, it's formed an environment where people hesitate to say they're anti-war."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am getting a lot of Wooden Bender vibes from a lot of the aggressors here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ig2qZEiNv8

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

"Wh-What could it be...?"
"Keropoyo, where is this news from?"
It's pretty wide ranging, so it's hard to say where it came from poyo!
"Let's just listen to what it is. So, what on earth is going on?"

BGM: Shougendai

"What...did you say...?"

Announcer:
"Our combined investigation team, working with LATO, has determined that this is the weaponized virus 'Erbil L5', created in the B3W era."

During the massive worldwide feuds that raged near the end of the B3W era, a secret agent of some country brought the virus into Erbil and released it. It was capable of delivering massive damage to crops that fit certain selected criteria. The record states that the B3W terrorist attack using Erbil L5 dealt a massive blow to crops across the entire Middle East at the time. There was no way to say for sure, since access to records from World War III was forbidden, but most people were convinced that this terrorist strike was one of the many triggers for that war.

In other words, this was a cursed virus that had once helped set off a world war. After the start of the A3W era, the research and storage of any virus-based weapons had been forbidden everywhere in the world. The country that created the virus, which later joined the ABN, had announced that they had destroyed all of the virus.

However, in actual fact, damage from Erbil L5 had occurred once again.

"As a member of the ABN, I'd like to believe that, but I doubt the other factions will."
"If ABN crops were also damaged by this, that theory might be easier to accept, but that doesn't seem to be the case."
"The affected areas are the top half of the African continent, AOU Russia, and COU India..."
"Even though the ABN is surrounded by affected areas, the countries in their alliance are totally unaffected..."

A 'weaponized' virus would be totally useless if it indiscriminately harmed your allies as well. So, it had either been modified so that it wouldn't affect their own faction, or maybe only the ABN was using some anti-virus agent in their agricultural plants.

"Still, Miyao, it's a bit strange. This weaponized virus was created in the B3W era, right?"
"That's right! So, why is it only the countries of the ABN, which was formed in the A3W era, that are totally undamaged by it?!"

"That's not true."
"Even if the ABN isn't actually researching it, they knew that a resurgence of Erbil L5 might affect their faction's agricultural plants, so they've been taking measures to prevent that, haven't they...?"
"That's crazy... It's not true..."
"Rethabile! Don't suspect Stan."
"I don't suspect him. However, the people will probably think along those lines. All I think is that this will become a pain."
Okay, Keropoyo! Searching for voices from the countries affected by this biohazard poyo!

Keropoyo displayed news programs and internet message boards from all over the world, one after another. By putting them together and using his Keropoyo filtering, he was able to extract several opinions that seemed to be representative.

Reporter:
"Look here! Wheat was being produced at this plant, but look what happened to it! This truly is a massacre of crops! Of course, it doesn't just affect wheat. The barley, rice, vegetables and fruits have all been devastated!!"

LATO Press Secretary:
"It's possible that massive famines will occur in the affected areas going forward. It's going to be necessary to set up food assistance programs rapidly on an international level."

Citizens:
"Why are only the ABN crops untouched?! An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, I say! Burn the ABN crops!!"

BGM: Rokugatsu no Sora

"The common man is starting to hope that war goes beyond the Walls of Peace..."
"If we're given orders to attack ABN agricultural plants, do the rules of the Order of the Public Bath say... that we should make that operation fail?"
"All acts of combat should take place within the Walls of Peace..."
"Stan, please don't take this personally. In that case, should we simply ignore the fact that half of the continent has been harmed by this virus attack...? Should we just give up and accept the damage that has been done to ACR citizens?"
"Of course, the ABN will compensate the victims, as a way of taking responsibility for once creating that virus... However, I doubt the people who have been victimized will be happy with that..."
"If someone who wants war is working behind the scenes, they're going to fight dirty going forward..."
"If we look at this as a sprout of war, our true enemy is whoever planned this virus attack, so the fact that we can't do anything about it... is so frustrating."
"I'm sure the ABN will want to prove its innocence. They must be searching for the true culprit with all they've got now."
"...I pray that they find that person soon. Gauntlet Knights are only soldiers. We aren't police or detectives or an intelligence agency."
"...Nggg..."

If the military is the sword, I suppose the eyes are the police and intelligence agencies, and agencies for public safety are the shield... If we're going to be the guardians of peace we really want to be, are Gauntlet Knights alone really enough...?

"In the Order of the Public Bath, one questions the justice of one's own attacks. The rules don't tell you to question the attacks of others."
"...So, if our Aerial Knight Corps is ordered to attack agricultural plants in ABN territory, and if I decide that action is appropriate and carry out the attacks, no one has a right to complain, yes? Naturally, we would only remove the plants' ability to function. We would try hard to keep human casualties to zero."
"...But if you do that, the people of the ABN will think they were attacked even though they were framed, and they'll want to start a cycle of revenge!"
"I know that! This is just to buy time. However, if we don't even do this, the bottled-up emotions of the people might burst in a direction that will be absolutely impossible to undo!"

If a vengeful attack failed, criticism of the government would increase, and it would either need to take even more dramatic actions to retain its stability, or it would be thrown into political chaos until it could find a solution. Naturally, that would inevitably cause even more sprouts of war. However, even if a vengeful attack succeeded, the ABN would be forced to take revenge next. There would be no way to stop the cycle of revenge...! All we can do is have faith that the people will cool their heads sometime during that cycle.

"In the end, I guess all we can do is buy time..."

Once, Jayden talked about a fiction where Gauntlet Knights all over the world joined forces and defeated a great evil. If someone was able to tell you that the great evil was that guy over there, wouldn't that be wonderful? However, in reality, though a great evil might actually exist, no one's going to tell you where it is.

"...Perhaps... it really was a dream to think that war could be prevented as long as Gauntlet Knights were the guardians of peace... I don't want to admit it..."
"...Eyes, huh...? I'd like some eyes..."
"Eyes? What do you mean, eyes?"
"We are military might. Swords, in other words. But we have no eyes! Until we have eyes that can spot enemies, we're just blindly swinging our swords around in the dark at random. At this rate, even if we do have enough military might to change the world, it'll all be wasted!"
"There's no need to be quite that humble. You've told us the precious fact that there are no allies or enemies when it comes to supporting the Walls of Peace together."
"Indeed. That is why we were all able to talk together like this, from an enlightened perspective. If you hadn't talked with us about chivalric orders, Miyao, then at least one of the Gauntlet Knights would have rushed to make a name for herself, or else succumbed to public opinion, resulting in needless damage and possibly an even fiercer cycle of hatred."
"That's right. Miyao, what you thought up was neither useless nor meaningless. That much we know for sure."
"...In addition to Gauntlet Knights, what if we included some young people in the police force or intelligence agencies?"
"Huh? I don't really have any connections myself..."
"Grand Master, you should probably give up on using people from intelligence agencies."
"Why?! They might have the power to beat down our true enemies!"
"What the Order of the Public Bath is trying to do may be wonderful from a philosophical perspective, but there's certainly no guarantee it will be legal according to the laws of each country."
"...We can be impudent as part of the Kizuna generation, but normally, even having personal interactions with members of other factions isn't good..."
"Not that this is anything new, but I believe that military regulations of nearly all countries, not just the ABN, forbid the use of communication tools like Kizuna."
"After all, this is the Selcom generation. No one will blame you for what you do inside your head. But, that is simply because they don't see it, and if the truth does get out, you likely wouldn't be able to avoid punishment."

However, in reality, everyone is playing games they like or chatting with someone using the Selcom inside their head, playing however they please. If anyone went out of their way to confess that they were doing this to a teacher, the description 'clueless moron' would probably fit them well. Not limited to Kizuna, there had been many attempts to place international information networks under government control since over a century prior. Every time this succeeded, people found ways to circumvent it. Currently, those circumvention techniques were in the lead, and in practical terms, they were completely unrestricted.

However, that didn't mean that they were officially acknowledged.

Rethabile:
"The gathering known as the It's a Wrap Public Bath may have been a miracle, possible only during the brief time when the mood of the Battle Standard Festival gave it momentum. That mood has faded, and actual warfare is now taking place around the world. Some are already feeling uneasy, thinking that they'll get in trouble just for entering the virtual room."

Lingji:
"...I have faith in everyone I met, fought, and became friends with at the Battle Standard Festival. However, to reach out to people on the outside, making contact with the police and intelligence agencies... Forgive me, Miyao, but it's hard for me to agree to such a decision."

Stanislaw:
"...We've managed to share the philosophy of the Order of the Public Bath with Gauntlet Knights from around the world. That alone is enough of a miracle."

"Miyao, I understand how you feel, but please give up on that idea. If you don't, then I'm sorry, but I will be forced to disband the ACR branch of the Order of the Public Bath."
"...Rethabile..."
"I respect Miyao's ideas and want to follow them going forward! However, I cannot afford to put the friends who agreed to this philosophy in a risky position."
"...At this moment, the existence of the Order of the Public Bath is a secret to all who might cause it harm. I ask that you take a moment to reflect on that fact, as well as the effort and trust that was needed to make it possible."
"Miyao, you've created a wonderful chivalric order. All of us are comrades supporting the Walls of Peace. And, our job is to pluck sprouts of war, holding their sparks inside of us and enduring until the world regains its calm. You've taught us that."
"..."
"You've done enough, Miyao. I understand that you want to do more, but it's not your place to do so."
"...It's... not my place?"
"Correct. That would go beyond the station you have been given as a soldier."

Miyao:
"...I...hate this..."

Lingji:
"Miyao..."

Miyao:
"Even though we have such incredible power, it's completely pointless..."

"Our job is to buy time so that the people can regain their calm, but it seems you need the same thing right now, Miyao."
"...Grand Master, no one blames you for anything, nor have we lost patience with you. On the contrary, I respect the purity of your feelings towards peace even more now. Please, don't forget that."
"In that case, I will take my leave. All Aerial Knights have just been ordered by the ACR Combined Military to install map data for ABN agricultural plants."
"...Then the ACR really will..."
"...In accordance with the Order's philosophy, we will take action. If I decide that justice should not allow for my attack, it will fail. However, if I withdraw, someone who hasn't agreed to the Order's philosophy will be appointed as my successor. For me, that is a frightening prospect in terms of maintaining peace."
"...What she's saying is probably correct. I'll respect your sense of justice."
"Don't hate me. We are soldiers."
"Rethabile" has exited the room poyo!
"Now then, I will leave as well. The Peace Department has ordered that we heighten our alert status in preparation for attacks from other factions."
"...Am I the biggest fool here? Am I the one who understands peace the least?"
"Don't get confused. You're the one who's the most correct. Rethabile and I are truly impressed by this Order's philosophy. I will go into battle while basing my actions on the justice of the Order, as I know she will. At least on that front, you need have no worries."
"I swear to do the same. So, Miyao, don't blame yourself. Right now, you're just tired and a little confused."
"..."
"I'm painfully aware how anxious you must feel, watching the world go feverish with war, with no signs of anyone cooling their heads. However, have faith in people. Just as you had faith in us."
"...You're...right..."
"Stanisław" has exited the room poyo!
"Even so, if villains hoping for war are stirring up emotions all over the world, the people won't cool their heads, right? They'll just keep dancing to that tune, right?!"
"Miyao, I understand how frustrated you are. And I'm sure those in charge of finding villains like that are investigating as hard as they can now. So, there's no need to be tormented by feelings of powerlessness. Right now, we have to endure it. Even if we hate it."
"...I really do... hate it... Even though we have such incredible weapons attached to our left arms..."
"...Miyao..."

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 11, 2020

rko
Jul 12, 2017
It’s probably not a great sign of the times when you find yourself thinking “I wish the people in charge in real life were half as sensible as these anime teenagers.”

The grim timeliness of Ciconia is pretty uncanny, regardless.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

rko posted:

It’s probably not a great sign of the times when you find yourself thinking “I wish the people in charge in real life were half as sensible as these anime teenagers.”

The grim timeliness of Ciconia is pretty uncanny, regardless.
Yeah, I've found myself thinking of Ciconia a few times over the past week, especially in terms of the people who profit from manufactured conflict and the people who push for war while disregarding the consequences.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I admire how the narrative pace makes it so easy for me to forget about the disturbing vision of flesh-rending hell that Miyao saw. But I won't forget!! What the gently caress!

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Yeah WC, R07 really packs a ton into this phase, and it feels like he just starts going wild with plot after the first like, two scenes. It’s pretty amusing, it feels almost like a parody of Eva or Code Geass or Eureka Seven or whatever, with these big plot swerves just piled on top of one another. I love it.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I've found myself thinking of Ciconia a few times over the past week, especially in terms of the people who profit from manufactured conflict and the people who push for war while disregarding the consequences.

In many ways, WTC games have always been about the idealism and hope of young people and their opposition to the olds and their toxic, conflict-ridden status quo. Olds who are always associated with the military, at that! Huh!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Quinn2win posted:

"I swear to do the same. So, Miyao, don't blame yourself. Right now, you're just tired and a little confused."

Lilja surprising everyone with her sudden entrance and exit.

rko posted:

In many ways, WTC games have always been about the idealism and hope of young people and their opposition to the olds and their toxic, conflict-ridden status quo. Olds who are always associated with the military, at that! Huh!

Huh, that's definitely true in some ways.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

However, it's possible that the sort of evil organization you're expecting doesn't exist. You've seen the news and the nets, right? Wars don't happen because someone gives an order. They're the result of large groups of people, and even larger groups called countries and societies. If a true evil does exist behind the wars occurring throughout the world, perhaps it is a flaw in the creatures known as humans, which makes them periodically desire war.

If there's any advice I can give you, it's 'don't be impatient'. With wars breaking out everywhere, I imagine that, young as you are, you're being overwhelmed with a feeling of impatience and responsibility, anxious with the belief that you have to do something. However, as your friends said, the philosophy of your chivalric order is a splendid one. To think that feelings of friendship cultivated by the Battle Standard Festival would bear fruit like this, making the Gauntlet Knights who stand at the head of all military power recognize their position as guardians of peace... I'm honestly proud that you're my son.

Don't be impatient, Miyao. I'm sure the time will come when you'll be able to fulfill your role in a way even you can understand.

You sent an email to "My Son" poyo!

BGM: Manshon no kabe o hashiru tokage

"Huh? Why are you suddenly laughing?"
"It's nothing. My son just sent me a cute email."
"He really is just so cute though♪ He calls me an old bastard so often, but when the going gets tough... Aah, it's probably subconscious, but it's like he relies on me, like he can't even doubt me♪ You're so, so cute, so stupid and cute, so stupid-cute♪ Ah, you're so adorable, I wish we could take a bath together again!"
"Come to think of it, didn't Miyao get a Distinguished Service Medal? Congratulations. Doesn't he get a reward if he earns ten of them?"
"I believe you're given an honorary position, can get honorably discharged, and then are given a lifetime pension. Well, there's been no wars since the start of the A3W era, so no hero has ever earned ten of them yet."
"I wish I could've gone to take photos at the award ceremony. He must have looked so gallant. The cute, tense look he had when he graduated from kindergarten was so...♪"
"Okay, okay. So, what kind of email did this adorable Miyao send you?"
"...He says he's established a chivalric order, so that Gauntlet Knights from around the world can conspire for the sake of peace."
"Oh? That sounds interesting."
"But is that really okay? Is that part of the plot...?"
"Who knows. God's scenario isn't so flimsy that a little thing like that could stop it."

Seshat:
"Miyao certainly is a powerful trump card. I'm not wrong there, am I...?"

Toujirou:
"I know that. But I don't know whose trump card he is."

Seshat:
"Children are bonds. Isn't that how the Japanese saying goes?"

Toujirou:
"That's right. That's why I'm keeping a close eye on him."

"...Though, that ex-wife of yours is yet another trump card. And once again, it's unclear whose trump card she is."
"It's like a falling block puzzle, see? Any type of piece will get in the way if you don't make good use of it. But if you do, they fit into place just like a God-given miracle."
"Are we the ones playing a game? Or is it really 'them' after all...?"

"Hyahyahya. It really was done quite skillfully."
"However, I don't like it. Who on earth leaked secret information about that virus? Because of that, we cannot hope for any more damage as a result!"
"We used it intending to wipe out crops all over the planet, and yet it didn't reach even half of the globe. It seems that, as expected, we won't be able to eliminate humanity easily unless we plan to destroy two planets' worth."
"Doesn't it just mean that this is the best you old people are capable of? Next time, I recommend you prepare to wipe out three planets' worth."
"Hyahyahyahya. Well, I care not. Even so, we have managed to strike more than 30% of the globe. An attack of that magnitude should be more than enough to affect humanity as a whole."
"Exactly. Hunger robs humans of their intellect and dignity. War should spread rapidly across the globe."
"When the flames of war swallow the earth, they will likely burn down everything until only one seed of humanity exists, but that is for the best. Let all of the unclean and immature ones turn to ash."
"When knitting, if you make even one mistake, you cannot hide it no matter how much you try to cover it up. You have no choice but to undo everything up until the point where you made the mistake and start over..."
"Well, they did try hard, at the start of the A3W era. Unfortunately, it all started going wrong just a few years later. What a shame."
"Which proves how incompetent the Three Kings were back then. *giggle*giggle*"
"Perhaps you would have been incompetent at that time too, Jestress."
"My, how harsh you are."
"Hyahyahyahyahyahya...!!"
"We sincerely hope that an outstanding king to replace us is born from the ashes."

BGM: None

Because some brave individual had released data on Erbil L5 to the entire world, LATO's cutting-edge labs had quickly formed a countermeasure and managed to release that information to all factions. Thanks to that, the damage was limited to 'only' a bit more than three tenths of the globe. Without either the bravery of the one who released the data or the efforts of those who helped work out a countermeasure, agricultural plants all over the world would probably have been unable to avoid destruction...

Announcer:
"Though the stock of agricultural companies that were spared has skyrocketed, all businesses affected by the damage have crashed."

Commentator:
"In other words, there's more to this than the food supply shrinking by 30%. 30% of countries around the world might be wiped out by famine."

News:
"LATO has called on all factions to call a truce and participate in international food support operations. However, the ABN still claims that they had nothing to do with the virus incident, and they want that acknowledged as a precondition for them providing support. But the ACR, which received the greatest damage, fiercely opposed this condition, saying that they would not take military retribution off the table."

However, looking at this from a worldwide perspective, it was foolish. Even though agricultural plants had been lost and mass famine was approaching, even more agricultural plants were about to be destroyed to soothe public opinion.

Like Dad said, maybe humans are flawed creatures. Is that something we just have to give up and accept? Or is it something that cannot be forgiven, seeing as we're animals that have been allowed to exist on the earth's surface...?

BGM: Warudakumi

And yet, the ABN had been unable to prove its innocence. In the first place, it's impossible to prove a negative. No matter how many times the ABN repeated that it had never secretly stored virus-based weapons, no one was convinced. This meant that the only way out would be to arrest the culprit who had carried out this act of worldwide bioterrorism, but they didn't seem to be making any progress at all on that front. So, it was only a matter of time until the ACR committed to a retaliatory strike. And, it might easily happen tonight or the following morning.

It wasn't just the ACR planning a retaliatory strike, but the COU as well. The COU had also received massive damage to COU Saudi Arabia, COU Yemen, COU Oman, and the northwestern part of COU India. Their policy of preemptive action, the so-called sword of peace, probably made it easy to accept the idea of a retaliatory strike.

On the other hand, the AOU was in a complicated situation. The countries comprising the AOU historically had strong ties to Europe and were its allies. Due to a treaty with the ABN, the AOU was supposed to fight alongside them if they were ever attacked by another faction. However, starting with AOU Russia, several AOU nations near to the western part of Eurasia had received significant damage. These countries were demanding that the ABN be investigated concerning its part in this. The one thing the AOU Joint Parliament feared above all else... was a split between AOU America and AOU Russia. So, it was only a matter of time before AOU America capitulated to AOU Russia, whose feelings on this matter were extremely intense. After all, the East Coast of America had been struck as well.

However, because of a forceful move by the COU, which wanted to envelope all countries surrounding the Central Ocean, several countries including Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Oman joined the COU instead. It's thought that resistance to the ABN's rapid and rough religious unification played a big role in this. The revolution was too radical, and it failed to convince many people who respected tradition. Taking advantage of this chaos, the AOU admitted Georgia and Armenia as well. To make sure that the ABN didn't extend into the African continent, the ACR turned Egypt into a forward base. In the midst of this, Azerbaijan was threatened by multiple factions who wanted them to join, so they reached out to LATO for help, becoming the first nation to be allied with LATO outside of Latin America.

In other words, the area roughly surrounding a line drawn between LATO Azerbaijan and ABN Israel shared borders with all of the A3W era's Great Factions. Even though it was a small region with a mixture of factions, the damage from Erbil L5 had neatly avoided just the ABN-affiliated countries. In the affected areas, that imbalance was more than enough to stir up a desire to strike back against the ABN. All factions were advancing massive swarms of powerful drones towards the area, and anyone could have predicted that the biggest of military clashes would soon occur there...

...Is there nothing I can do...? Dad told me to not be impatient. That very soon, I would be given a chance to fulfill my role. But if I just accept that and wait, doesn't that mean I'm just a game piece?

"Well, if you run out of energy and fall, you'll be feeding the fishes of the Mediterranean Sea."
"That goes for both sides. If the person who intercepts you runs out of energy and falls too, you'll be stuck inside the same stomach."
"And let me also say this! Both we and our enemies are friends supporting the Walls of Peace together! We'll support them from either side. This clash is merely a result of that. There is no hatred here. Only friends supporting the walls!"
"I won't allow you to attack enemies who have lost the will to fight! Nor will I permit attacks against those who have lost their shields! Those who attack the backs of enemies attempting to flee will be viewed as unworthy of the honor of the Aerial Knights and dealt with by me personally!"

An enthusiastic acknowledgement came from countless kette. However, despite their enthusiasm, they couldn't hide their tension.

"Please, calm yourself. Soldiers who bow to emotion end up dead. Cool your head. Ending transmission."
"Princess, how do you intend to handle this assault?"
"We've clearly gone past the Walls of Peace. That would mean this is an attack we mustn't allow to succeed..."
"..."
"...What do you think will happen if this attack fails?"
"It seems doubtful that it would end anything."
"The mighty ACR can't afford to give up and go home crying."
"They'll probably mobilize the entire military and attack again. That truly would be an all-out war."
"There's no way that your ideal of treating both enemies and allies as guardians of peace...will be shared among the entire military."
"If that happens, the ABN will be forced to respond. The Mediterranean Sea will be stained with blood..."
"Exactly. If we intentionally make this attack fail, that will only buy a small amount of time, and it will be followed by a truly unstoppable all-out war."
"While the front lines are still in the hands of the Aerial Knight Corps, we can still control the situation."
"We can also work to minimize unnecessary damage..."
"Correct."
"Though, that's assuming those drones feel the same way you do, Princess."

However, even if their ability to parallel process was high, it was also a heavy burden to use it during actual battle. When it became too much, the drones would attack according to their original programming. In other words, they wouldn't follow the philosophy of the Order of the Public Bath at all.

Ace-class knights like Rethabile would never lose control of any of the drones behind them. However, the other Gauntlet Knights weren't like that. And, several of them were tense, so their P3 levels were lower than normal. In the midst of battle, if their control failed and the drones started attacking according to their own decisions, they may act correctly from a military standpoint, but there was no guarantee that they would behave properly as guardians of the Walls of Peace.

"We don't know that the ABN are the culprits. This is just... a meaningless attack so people can blow off steam..."
"I agree. Princess, we have sworn loyalty to the Royal Family and the military. However, for now, we will prioritize your decision, as one who flies and supports the Walls of Peace with us."
"...The princess is in a tough position too. Whether we do it or not, the situation will grow worse."
"I'm fully aware of that. But, even so, we shall follow whatever decision the princess makes."
"You're leaving the decision to others and escaping responsibility, Noor. You don't understand the princess' suffering at all."
"Noor didn't do anything wrong! Everyone's worried, and everyone's in a tough position! So, we want the princess to show us the way!"
"Princess, there's no need for you to bear this heavy responsibility. Perhaps you should leave it in the hands of God."
"What do you mean by that?"
"Both we and our enemies will do our best as soldiers. The result... is in God's hands."
"That means you're passively choosing not to make a choice..."
"I've got a reading on 8MS radar. We'll reach them any second now! Princess, we'll leave our fates in God's hands, so may we move forward...?!"
"Everyone keeps trying to push the responsibility on me. Leave fate in the hands of God? That's a splendid idea... Don't take me so lightly..."

And besides, we have a path to move forward on. It has already been shown to us! To think that a cultural exchange that began in a Japanese-style public bath after the Battle Standard Festival would result in such a fascinating chivalric order! You truly do intrigue me, Mitake Miyao! I am Rethabile, a Master of the Order of the Public Bath!! One who leads guardians of the Walls of Peace!!

"It's sad. To think that a notification of a friend's arrival would signify an enemy attack..."
"...If this is the enemy's main force, then naturally, Rethabile's Squad 601 will be here too."
A friend has arrived poyo♪
"...We sent friend requests to a lot of them, after all. A lot of those friends are coming. I really hate sad Kizuna friend notifications like these..."
"You could also turn off notifications, or else turn off your Kizuna."
"Wowowow! I'd hate that even more! If I turn off Kizuna, we really will become enemies!"

"There's no need to turn it off. They are friends, Naima."
"Even when we're fighting like this, we're all friends! Friends supporting the Walls of Peace!"
"...Every time I hear that Kizuna notification, it reminds me that we'll have to fight against our friends. However, as long as we feel that way, we'll never be enemies, even if our blades cross."
"Exactly. They'll push from their side, and we'll push from ours, supporting the Walls of Peace. It isn't our job to push them over."

"To all Gauntlet Knights, we will soon make contact with enemies of peace! Please, don't forget that behind us, crowds of peace-loving civilians are looking up at us!"
"Even though we're victims who were framed, we offered our loving support to the ACR! In return, they assumed that we were the culprits behind that bioterrorism without proof, refusing our love-filled attempts to offer them support and negotiate, and resulting in this act of barbarism...!"
"Oh, but we don't hate them! They are lost sheep! They need guidance from God and us!"
"We will now engage in blessed peaceful activities against the ACR military, which ignored our warnings and continues to invade us. If they repent, God will surely save their lives and their souls. Only the children of demons who refuse to repent until the end will disappear into the sea!"

"Your magnificent speech has renewed my dedication to justice and peace. Thank you, Yeladot Shavit."
"No, no, don't mention it!"
"Calling all kette. This is Stanisław from Thalathat Suyuf. I'll say it again. Don't die, and don't kill."
"The voices luring you toward martyrdom come from the devil, telling you to put your God to the test. If your shield is broken, retreat without fighting. And don't kill your enemy. It's enough that you break their shields. If they still do not repent, then let God swallow the fools with the waves of the Mediterranean Sea."
"Don't die. No flowers can bloom from a dead sprout."
"And don't kill. Only God is permitted to take life. Wow!"
"Don't worry. God has given us his permission."
"So show no mercy, and scatter the lost sheep across the sea!"
"Kill the enemy! Defend our homeland's territory and resources! God has given you the order to kill!!"
"If God tells me that directly, I'll obey and massacre the enemy."
"...Naima, stop it."

"Th-That's a disorderly outburst. I'll be reporting this to our superiors later. Don't blame me if you get in trouble."
"It's probably just an overreaction to her wartime drug injections. Please, forgive her with the tolerance of God's love."
"Stan. You got a problem with it being me?"
"Not at all. But I never expected that Miyao's ideals would resonate with you."
"He's so naive. Such a little brat. Both enemies and allies are our friends? Friends supporting the Walls of Peace? What, are you stupid?"
"You're right. He really is naive, and a huge idiot to boot."
"There's no way you could pull it off. As if life could be that easy. I don't believe in any God or Buddha."
"Impious statements can be dangerous. Heheh."

Don't die? Don't kill? Only amateurs die, and the people who kill are even bigger amateurs!! Miyao, you said something seriously interesting back there!

"Miyao, you might have just said it on a whim, but there's a dreamy girl here who was able to find her ideals thanks to that! I'll make it come true, Naima!! Stan, Naomi, follow me!! Let me show you how to fight without dying or killing!!!"
"This is Rethabile. The ACR has no intention of obeying your warning. Combat will commence in ten seconds."
"Do whatever you want. You fight for Africa. I'll fight for Naima. Don't die, don't kill."

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I keep wondering when someone's going to either die or be replaced by their commander, leading to a slaughter, and the tension is almost overwhelming. As much as I know that nothing is going to go well in the first loop, I want some part to end at least decently. Waaaaah, my heart.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
"Don't worry. God has given us his permission."
"So show no mercy, and scatter the lost sheep across the sea!"
"Kill the enemy! Defend our homeland's territory and resources! God has given you the order to kill!!"

Well these three suddenly became much less likable.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
And Naima just became much more awesome.

She was a bit too weird and hyper for me in the beginning, but this scene just now made her one of my favorites.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Naima's one of three confirmed CPPs through the character profiles, so it's entirely possible that this is a different 'Naima' than the one we've been spending most of our time with up until now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Quinn2win posted:

Naima's one of three confirmed CPPs through the character profiles, so it's entirely possible that this is a different 'Naima' than the one we've been spending most of our time with up until now.

Stan pretty much outright said that was an Alt Personality.

Speaking of Character Profiles we should get the next one soon right.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

The children Naimas are the future.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Character Profiles we should get the next one soon right.

Yep.

Thalathat Suyuf

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

'a monthly allowance of 3 euros' lmao holy poo poo.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

COU Officer:
"Roger that. We've confirmed that the agricultural plant has been rendered completely inoperable. Retreat at once."

"...Aaah. Is there any point to this attack...? If the world is facing famine, why are we trying to make it worse...?"
"It's probably some political...well, assholes, I guess. Apparently, the ABN can't fight us and the ACR at the same time, so we're using this as a bargaining tactic, to make the ABN agree to pay reparations only to the COU."
"Don't think about politics! We're just pushing back after being pushed, as guardians of the Walls of Peace."
"I still don't agree with the attack, but we accurately struck just the plant. And we only did that after making sure no one was on the farm..."
"Don't die, don't kill. Guess this means friend Miyao will give us a gold star, woo!"
"I'm surprised. I didn't expect an irresponsible man like you would sympathize with Miyao's noble goals."
"No one wants to die. And, there's no need to kill people if I'm not getting paid for it. It just happens to suit me perfectly as someone who hates to work."
"...So, if you were ordered to kill civilians, would you do it?"
"...You *would* kill if you're getting paid for it, right?"
"Yeah. I would. I'm a salaryman soldier, woo! I'll do any job for money."
"However, if you want to hire me to kill, you'd better be prepared to fill an olympic swimming pool with bundles of cash."
"Andry..."
"...Still, no matter how much cheap talk we pile on, no matter how cooly we handle ourselves, this isn't a game of chess. It's impossible to avoid all damage to pieces we aren't aiming for. I've got no intention of killing on purpose, but I might kill someone without meaning to. I'm not so naive that I haven't thought of that."
"Hmph. You may sometimes say deep things and act the part of the enlightened man, but you won't fool me."
"Woo, that's just fine. Living life irresponsibly is my policy."
"Huh? No way, this is... Umm, uhhh...!"
"What is it?"
"It's an ABN news report...! They're talking about the city we just attacked...!"

"Th-That's a lie, a lie, it never happened!! I checked before attacking! I checked so much, so much...!! It's a lie, it's a lie, it's not possible...!!!"
"...We checked carefully before attacking. The plant was automated and completely unmanned. This must be a scenario prepared by the ABN Guidance Department, so they can inflate their casualties..."
"Th-That's it, isn't it?! That has to be it! After all, I checked it many times, over and over again! Because we knew we couldn't let anyone get dragged into this...!!"
"...Maybe no one died as a direct result of our attack. But that doesn't mean...that we haven't caused any deaths."

There had been a sudden air raid alarm, and then a bombing. The peaceful city had probably been instantly enveloped in panic. Even if no one was hurt in the bombing itself, if confused drivers got in accidents and killed people, it would be fair to say that those accidents were caused by the bombing.

"However, let me say this. Sujatha, Rukhshana, you only attacked after making near approaches at such great risk, checking closely to make sure no person was hit. If you had attacked in a more slipshod, irresponsible way, many more people would have died. There can be no doubt of that."
"I checked so much, so, so much... It's impossible, impossible...!"
"That's right, we carried out a perfect strike. This is enemy propaganda. Don't believe it!"
"Still, if people panicked from our attack and got into accidents..."
"These Walls of Peace really are heavy, aren't they?!!"
"The middle-aged guys who ordered this attack are gonna take responsibility, just like people in charge should, right? Wooooooooo!!!!"

"Keh. I thought the 8MS felt strange..."
"Lilja, Koshka...! Please try to recover your mental condition! I'm giving you permission to take injections if necessary...!"

The mighty shield used by Gauntlet Knights, the Rejection Shield, could cause vastly different levels of strain depending on the situation. Naturally, stronger attacks would cause additional strain, but unpredicted attacks would cause far more. Apparently, some countries had been developing techniques for using stealth levitating drones as midair mines, to be used as a Gauntlet Knight countermeasure. They were both surprise attacks and powerful explosions. The combination of those two things seemed to have made them effective even against Gauntlet Knights...

Though it hadn't broken their shields, the sudden expenditure of energy had symptoms similar to anemia. Chloe had given her kette permission to inject cranial secretion regulators, which would give them energy and rapidly improve their condition. However, the enemy naturally wouldn't let this once-in-a-lifetime chance slip. Taking advantage of their confusion in the wake of that midair landmine, the next attack was already coming.

Baba Yaga:
"A-After that midair mine, Praskovya's in condition red! She's at 13%, just above the Holy Mother's Minimum Speed!"

"The enemy missiles have launched their submunitions. You damned AI, locking onto Baba Yaga because they're sitting ducks...!"
"Please, shoot them down!!"
"Baba Yaga, fall back, it's gonna swallow up all three of you meow!!"

Baba Yaga:
"We'll intercept from here...! We can't abandon Praskovya!"

"These high-maneuverability missiles...are flying around just like bugs! Even I...can't get all of them...!!"
"Baba Yaga, fall back!! There's no way you can intercept all of those missiles in that condition!!"
"You fools meow, run for it meeooooooooow!!!!"
"Baba Yagaaaaaaaaaaaaa...!!!"

"I'm confident that their noble deaths served the cause of peace..."
"..."
"It seems countries everywhere are trying to drag inexperienced people into combat, in order to increase their number of Gauntlet Knights."
"There's no helping it. Gauntlet Knights are the peak of military power. To fight against them, you must increase the numbers on your side."
"And, the flames of war have started to extend beyond the Walls of Peace."
"Forgive me. I'm truly sorry for the harm we did to the sinless people of the ABN."
"Why do we have to fight actual wars?! What happened to all the people excitedly watching simulated battles in the Virty Arena at the Battle Standard Festival?!"
"...You're right. Is there any reason to have wars in reality?"
"In the ancient Olympics, the victor was given an olive wreath, but they apparently weren't given one if they caused their opponent's death."
"That kind of thinking is important! There's no need for us to actually kill each other! If we just want to have winners and losers, games in the Virty Arena ought to be enough!"
"I never thought I'd hear an argument against the need for a physical body from someone who wasn't a shut-in..."

In virtual spaces, you could never do anything that couldn't be undone. In these paradises, even destruction and murder could be reversed. However, in the real world, all irreversible tragedies and calamities happened because of the physical body. The physical body was the source of all evil. The human soul could only reach up towards God once it was freed from the barbarous shackles of the body, according to them.

"Without militaries, there would be no one to support the Walls of Peace, and they would crumble. Without the Walls of Peace, the hatred of humans would show itself in the form of genocide and ethnic cleansing."

If conflict arose between different peoples in a place without Walls of Peace or national borders... The result would be neighbors lawlessly and horribly killing each other in their own hometowns. The concept of the Walls of Peace had been created to prevent such tragedies...

"Saying it this way is sad for the victims, but because our comrades protecting the walls nobly sacrificed their lives, the damage never extended further than that. Additionally, this was made possible because they shared your philosophy of don't die, don't kill."
"Indeed. Miyao, you might be blaming your powerlessness for this, but it's the opposite. Even in a situation like this, you have managed to keep us sane."
"..."
"That's right. If it weren't for the Order of the Public Bath, we may have unfriended each other, exposing our hearts to hate as we killed each other."
"When I first heard Kizuna's friend notifications on the battlefield, I hated it. But now, I think it's a very important thing."

"...You're right. Thanks, Keropoyo. Because of your friend notifications, we've been able to remember something important."
"That's the Order of the Public Bath's Secretary Knight for you."
Hahah! I'm a capable frog poyo! *keeeero*kero*kero*!
"The Walls of Peace we support...really are heavy. Sometimes, they even make us die or kill."
"But even so, because you supported those walls, a great number of people have been protected from the fires of war."
"You're right... We can't let this get us depressed already. No matter how tough or sad it gets, we have to keep supporting the walls..."

It's been like a tennis rally, where one act of retribution is the spark for the next. The reason we guardians of the walls continue to support them, even when our bodies and hearts are wounded, is so they can endure until peace returns. It's to buy time until the people regain their cool and remember how precious peace is.

...So, how has that gone? While we've been suffering, just how much has the world regained its cool...?!

BGM: Miserable

Commentator:
"In the first place, that humiliating B3W treaty was simply forced upon us by the superpowers of the time..."

Video Uploader:
"There's a way even we can contribute to our country! Throw stones at stores owned by foreigners and take what's inside! Any police who try to stop you are traitors, so take photos of them! If this video gets taken down, then this site is being run by traitors too!!"

News:
"It was revealed that a civilian group protesting to stop the war was actually a spy organization from another faction."

Police Chief:
"We now know that this was the work of agitators masquerading as a pro-peace organization! The suspects are apparently also connected to the recent schoolbus bombing, and-"

Internet Forum:
"As expected, those people saying they opposed the war while shouting 'die, die' were all paid agitators! Find everyone who ever said they were anti-war and arrest them for being suspected spies!"

News:
"A man who was arrested for attacking an anti-war demonstration was sentenced today to only 24 hours of community service, with the judge saying that the man's righteous anger and passion were more than understandable. This kindhearted extralegal ruling was praised by the people for its courage and justice."

"Because we're people who have faced the struggle for life and death on the battlefield and who always feel the heavy burden of our duty towards peace, it's possible for us to keep our sanity."
"Are you saying that, to those who have never been on a battlefield, real warfare looks basically the same as the simulator battles from the Battle Standard Festival...?"
"No. Since there are actual casualties, it makes them push towards war with even more anger and hatred."
"Dammit! If you like war that much, go to a game salon and play war games as much as you like!! If you like watching, watch gaming livestreams and sports programs all you want...!! Why is it necessary to kill each other in real life?! Just leave that sort of thing to VR!!!"

--Your evolution stopped advancing for one simple reason: you were unable to break out of your shells of flesh.

--So, I will break through your shells and aid in your soul's evolution.

People hung from rails with all their skin melted off, moaning in pain. Those people were swallowed by massive processing machines, one after another, and released from their so-called shells of flesh... And then, one after another, they were transformed into a bizarre form: brains with spinal cords hanging down from them.

--Come now, there is no need to be afraid, children of men. Accept your liberation and come to the eternal, immortal garden... Those who arrived slightly before you are already quivering with the joy of liberation, their hearts filled with the excitement of a new life, in a world eternally without pain. Your wives and children, husbands and parents, siblings and friends who have already been freed are eagerly awaiting your arrival... Have no fear. Accept the liberation...

...All of the misfortune, sadness, anger and pain that humans bring about in this world... All of it is caused by the flesh, is it not...? Because you have flesh, you wage war. You hurt people. And you go mad with rage, killing each other more and more. However, what if there was a world free from flesh, where life and death did not exist...?

There would no longer be any reason to hurt each other. No one could take anyone else's life, and sadness, anger, pain, and suffering would not exist. They would not lead to more of the same. Without flesh, even the differences between sexes become meaningless. Animal worries can nearly all be explained by a need for food and procreation, so it's surely the same for humans. They do seem to have many varied desires, such as those for honor or power, but these ultimately result from a wish to appear superior to others and more effectively satisfy their need for procreation and food. In other words, everything can be explained by a need for procreation and food!

Liberation from the flesh means liberation from these needs, which are the root cause of inescapable animal suffering.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeesh.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Advancing

You've received an email from "Valentina" and "Maricarmen" poyo!

While the whole world was agitating towards war, we were able to gather those who had doubts about the current situation and hadn't forgotten their duty towards peace!
"Nice going... I guess those big sisters from LATO aren't all talk..."
"Perhaps their power is that of the 'eyes' you mentioned before."
"Their reputation took a hit because they were utterly unable to prevent this bout of world feuds, but yes, it seems they do deserve that moniker of 'The World's LATO'."
"It's irritating, but that's probably true. If LATO had done this from the start, war would likely not have occurred."
"There is no 'too early' or 'too late', as long as you have peace. With this, the world will finally be able to regain its composure."
"The tide is finally turning, isn't it?!"

So, the IPMA changed tack. They investigated one VIP after another across all factions, making a list of those who weren't caught up in the fever of war. People who had maintained their sense of duty towards peace. Then, they gave those people positions as provisional directors in the IPMA, granting them considerable authority. As the maintainers of a healthy military balance, the IPMA held massive influence over the whole world's military community and the business community that supported it. And now, politicians who hadn't forgotten their duty towards peace had been directly appointed to vital roles within the IPMA.

Of course, this outrageous move was tantamount to meddling in the internal affairs of all factions. However, LATO had forced it through by making optimal use of its immense financial and military power, as well as its position as the world's greatest producer of Rare Spiritium.

"So, they wielded their power for the sake of peace, even though it meant taking on such a huge risk. Crap, LATO really is cool..."
"I suppose they don't call themselves the World Police for nothing."
"Even if the worldwide wars do end with this, I suspect the scars will last a long time. There will be political turmoil caused by LATO's meddling in domestic affairs, as well as issues involving national borders and reparations that were suspended before being truly solved. The world's hardships will probably continue for quite some time."
"Still, that's better than war. Fights carried out in conferences following proper procedure are politics, not war."
"Exactly. Let those who love war continue this in their conference halls."

News:
"The person there waving and descending the ramp is Liu Tiankai from COU China. He's known for being a quiet influencer in the COU Joint Parliament, so it seems there was quite a stir when his selection was announced."

"Huh? Isn't Liu your last name, Lingji?"
"He's my grandfather. He looks so haggard. I can't imagine how much he must have worried about this huge responsibility..."
"Not surprising. This is the same as publicly expressing his discontent at the way his country has been almost unanimously moving towards war."
"In our Royal Family, there are some who were picked, but declined when they learned they wouldn't be able to join anonymously. They might temporarily become heroes of world peace, but they probably risk losing their positions in the subsequent political chaos that will surround all countries."
"Are you kidding me? Why should someone who stands up for world peace have to be criticized for it later?! Lingji's grandfather is a true hero, isn't he?!"
"Thanks, Miyao. I'm sure my Grandfather would be happy to hear that..."
"To pursue justice even when it means going against the will of your country is extremely difficult. I want to praise Lingji's grandfather for his courage too..."

The brand of being a traitor ended up having more sway than the justice of an individual's heart... Even after he was honored by Israel, the slander against him did not cease, and it wasn't until 14 years after his death that he was properly recognized as someone who had chosen justice, despite knowing that he would be called a traitor.

In Dante's Divine Comedy, those with greater sins were punished in the deeper levels of hell. The sin punished in the lowest circle of hell, Cocytus, was betrayal. Betrayal of the state, the highest authority representing society, was the worst sort of sin and could not be canceled out by any sort of good deeds...

"I wish I could make some of the cowards in our Royal Family hear you say that. He has my heartfelt respect."
"He deserves more than respect. This person -- these people -- are heroes trying to stop a World War!"
"The people gathered here are all government VIPs, right?! So, they should have inside knowledge about who in the government fanned the flames of war, who ran wild, and who was raking in the money. In other words, they know our true enemies, the people whose swords we really should be taking!"
"It may be hasty to say this, but if anyone tried to crush the desire these VIPs had for peace, those people might be the true sprouts of war our Order is trying to pluck."
"...It feels like...it's starting to become clear...! I think the sword we've only been able to swing around blindly...has finally found a light shining down through the darkness!"
"Well, I am tempted to exasperatedly say that the world isn't that simple, but-"
"I think that in this world, things that are truly precious and just are always very simple and clear-cut."
"...Lingji, are you still in contact with your grandfather?"
"That's right! Do you think we could ask him about something? Like whether our Order of the Public Bath can do anything to help...?!"
"I-I wonder... Of course, I'm still in touch with Grandfather, but I've never spoken with him about anything political..."
"The fact that he accepted this role tells me that he was, in a sense, prepared even for death. We may be able to speak with him surprisingly openly."
"You're right. And even just including those of us here now, we already have top-class Gauntlet Knights representing all factions. If we include all kette who are members of the Order, that amounts to a considerable military force. From their perspective as well, it may be worth opening a conversation between us."
"Could I ask you to do that, Lingji? I want to serve the cause of peace however I can!"

Miyao:
"Our left arms...are unbelievably heavy. Once you've experienced that, you can't forget it."

Lingji:
"...You're right."

"Those Walls of Peace do more than surround your own country..."
"In other words, we must be guardians of the Walls of Peace all over the world."
"That's a Gauntlet Knight's duty! We will protect the Walls of Peace! We won't let World War IV happen! For the first time, we've learned that there are other people who share our goals! I...want to help those people...!"
"...Miyao..."
"Very well. I'll try sending Grandfather an email. Of course, I won't tell him about the Order of the Public Bath yet, but I'll tell him that there must be something we can do to help."
"Thanks! All right...!!! I think I'm finally starting to see a way forward!! I get the feeling he'll be able to point the way to the enemies we really need to crush!"
"My big brother truly is pathetic, as he couldn't even speak out for peace without a promise of anonymity, but if I have our Grand Master's permission, I could try approaching him."
"Forget permission, I'm the one who wants to ask you...! Please, Rethabile!"
"...Compared to Lingji, with a major COU politician as a grandfather, and Rethabile, a princess of the ACR Royal Family, I can't do anything at all."
"However, after this, I'm sure we'll start seeing people pushing for peace once more, even in the ABN. I have no connections, but I'll try gathering information, to see if I can find anyone who might become one of our comrades."
"Miyao, I would ask that you also see if you can find any potential comrades in the AOU. You're a Gauntlet Knight hero there, yes? Don't you have any connections at all?"
"Well, connections between people are rare in the AOU... But I do have a weapon! My dad!"
"By dad, you mean your actual father? I thought everyone in the AOU was a test tube baby..."
"I'm ciconia-born, which makes me a rare case. That's why I have a blood relative. My dad's a military reporter with the AOU Combined Military, and he's got a huge number of friends through this weird network!"
"A military reporter with the Combined Military? I see, then he should at least be quite familiar with what's going on inside the military hierarchy."
"The fact that he's your actual father makes him a powerful connection. It's probably worth relying on him. I can't afford to fall behind. I'll do all I can."
"Thanks to you too, Stan! I'll give it my all too! ...All right, I'm getting all fired up! We'll finally be able to fight for real...!!"

BGM: Deeply Remember

"If you're a girl and say you have connections to an older generation, people will start suspecting that you're someone's secondary secretary or something."
"Seriously though, it really would be nice to have some relatives. I'm jealous of how ciconia-borns can have interpersonal bonds that are stronger than what you get with superiors or friends."
"Sorry, I didn't mean it that way..."
"I don't mind! But, I'm sorry. All my friends are fun to be with, but none of them are in a position to know anything that would help the Order. After all, we only ever talk to our own generation, right? How could any of us know details about the government or the situation there?"
"...I have connections -- though only a few -- with people from other generations because of my hobbies. However, those hobbies are our only connection, so I don't know their professions or social positions, and it would be rude to ask. Sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to help."
"I think our best option is probably to rely on your dad, Miyao. Parents are even better than close friends, right? They're someone you can absolutely trust no matter what."
"...I don't think I can trust him more than a close friend, but at the moment, there's no one else we can rely on. I'll just have to pray he answers my email."
"The Order of the Public Bath, huh? *giggle* To think that a chivalric order with such a weird name would actually become a world-spanning organization pushing for world peace. That really surprised me."
"Miyao's always really detail-oriented when it comes to emails and responding to them and stuff. That's how you kept all those connections from the Battle Standard Festival going and created this amazing Order. I'm proud that I'm able to call myself your partner."
"You're exaggerating. I never would've been able to make up my mind to say that important-sounding stuff if you two hadn't talked it over with me."
After being inspired by Dad, I created a chivalric order.

At the very, very beginning, when I revealed my idea to Jayden and Gunhild... I was incredibly unsure of myself. I was so scared, wondering what I'd do if they rejected the idea. If they had done more than just reject it... If they had reported it to the authorities, what would have happened next...? I was only able to reluctantly bear the orders of those middle-aged men with their fighting spirit logic...because I had the power to fly freely through the sky. If I had spoken up about my ideals, only to have the wing on my left arm torn off, I'd be stuck wondering what I've been living for all this time.

On that day, even I didn't really understand the fear that lay deep inside my heart. However, I can't even begin to measure... how much courage it gave me when Jayden and Gunhild agreed so enthusiastically, and astonishingly quickly.

"Please, put that gratitude on hold until we're able to vanquish the Order's true enemy."
"Setting aside who actually fanned the flames of this war, our first priority right now is peace. I hope the LATO conference is able to handle that okay."

BGM: Welcome to A3W

"A secret topic of discussion...?"
"Yeah. After all, the whole world conveniently started getting excited about war and going at it, all at the same time. There has to have been someone who knew about these events beforehand and got rich off them. The rumor's that this event's main goal is for LATO to get information from sources in all countries. Information that'll help them sniff out the mastermind or international conspiracy or whatever that's behind this."

The IPMA had selected and gathered VIPs from all over the world. All of them had apparently been near the source of what drove their countries towards war, calmly watching on this whole time, without letting the fever overwhelm them. By bringing the information they had together, it might be possible to sniff out those who had conspired behind the scenes to bring about this global conflict.

If that was true, then when that happened, the true mastermind who had driven the world towards war would be exposed. Then, it would finally be time for the Gauntlet Knights, the guardians supporting the Walls of Peace, to act.

"Oh, that big sis from LATO just showed up on the news over there!"
"You're right. They've got all of LATO's Gauntlet Knights protecting today's VIPs."
"If the rumor Jayden heard is true, then these people would be a big problem for the masterminds who caused the war. If so, you can never have too much protection."
"...Plus, LATO Gauntlets are apparently allowed to have higher specs than anything from the other four factions. And there's so many of them. It's probably fair to say that this spot has tighter security than anywhere else on the globe right now."
"If they're taking security that seriously now, maybe that means LATO is confident that the information held by these provisional directors is enough to sniff out some pretty serious evil."
"...I hope Lingji is able to get in touch with her grandfather."
"Hmm? Wait a sec... Ah, that's Dad, my dad's there!"
"Huh? Which one is your dad? Draw a circle around him."
"H-Hey Dad! I wanted to tell you... I'm in a serious relationship with Meow! Just kidding, heheheheh!"
"Shut up, don't make jokes...! Ah, I lost sight of him...!"

He walked past the camera with a calm look on his face, ignoring the line of LATO MPs that were holding back the press. He was a military reporter attached to the AOU Combined Military HQ, so it shouldn't have been strange to see him in the capital of LATO Brazil.

see no weevil
Oct 31, 2019

Quinn2win posted:

--Your evolution stopped advancing for one simple reason: you were unable to break out of your shells of flesh.

--So, I will break through your shells and aid in your soul's evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwud_XQGjhQ

Curious parallel here with the Umineko saying about cages of flesh. Only in this case trans-specific language seems to be used with eggshells, though I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not. You might be able to spin it as something like 'a spirit transcending the body or specific situation they were born in' as symbolism if egg doesn't have the same meaning for trans people in Japan. Chicken eggs can't really do much with their situation until they take the initiative hatch, and it's only then that they really start to become a chicken.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Toujirou what is your loving DEAL

edit: wait, poo poo, I've been super slow in realizing that he's just a scrambled-up Tomitake Jirou from Higurashi. goddamn it

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Those VIPs are all hand picked to eventually make the war worse when it starts again, it feels like.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Toujirou what is your loving DEAL

edit: wait, poo poo, I've been super slow in realizing that he's just a scrambled-up Tomitake Jirou from Higurashi. goddamn it

Oh I did not realize that either.

Would that imply that Vier is his ex wife.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
... Piccolo Machiavelli?!?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
<double post>

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 19, 2020

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TheDavies posted:

... Piccolo Machiavelli?!?

The Demon King Piccolo existed in this world too but he took a different approach to things I guess.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Unlike the four factions driven mad with war by the friction between factions, public opinion had been pro-peace in the prosperous LATO, which had far more than it needed to get by. Those people had eagerly welcomed this global truce and the opening of a conference to discuss peace. However, though they did want peace, it was really more of a passive desire than a proactive one.

The people of LATO were promised prosperous lives, so they weren't really interested in conflicts between other factions. LATO did call itself the World's Police and pushed for world peace as part of its duty as a rich faction, but in truth, they didn't want to get involved in troubles between the other factions. Some regretted that this passive attitude of theirs had helped to invite this global conflict. LATO's people may have been fervently applauding this as an act of self-praise, now that the mighty LATO had dragged the world towards peace once again.

Though it would be a conference to discuss peace, the security was so strict that it seemed to be the exact opposite of peaceful. The building was surrounded by the armored cars of a heavily-armed police force. And, the height of military might, Gauntlet Knights, had been placed throughout the whole area. Even the vast, gray skies were being protected by a powerful air-defense system. Furthermore, strict precautions had been taken to prevent not only military attacks, but the insertion of terrorists and assassins as well. Tight security was set up around the building, with ID checks and metal detectors being used with extraordinary care.

BGM: Warudakumi

"Boa tarde, young miss. Oh, that's odd. Are you not able to read my pass?"

In the A3W world, with its magnificent auto-translation tools, there was absolutely no need to learn other languages. However, greeting people with the words of that country was the hallmark of a polished traveler.

"Your Portuguese is quite good, Mr. Mitake. I do know you personally, but this is work, so please forgive me. We've currently risen to identity check level 4 for foreign soldiers."
"Sure, I'll cooperate."

Even with A3W technology, visual confirmation of passes was still being carried out. Of course, with the technology of this era, it was possible to check IDs automatically just by having them on you. However, it was known that having security personnel speak to a person directly and visually check their passes applied a sort of silent pressure, which made for a useful deterrent. In other words, it told them that "we're watching you, don't try anything funny."

Valentina took Toujirou's pass and used a card reader to check for forgeries.

Valentia:
"Heheh, I'm sorry about that. Making quick changes to our security policy may be inconvenient, but it is extremely effective."

"It's my job to be a reporter. If I have to go back and tell them I couldn't take any photos because security chased me out, I'll be paying my travel expenses out of my own pocket."
"I've confirmed that your pass is good. Please excuse the inconvenience, Major Mitake. To make up for it, I've been instructed to escort you to where you can take pictures."
"Excellent. What could be better than being escorted by a beauty who looks great in a Gauntlet?"

It was a group of old directors from multiple factions. Some of them approved of their factions' wartime posture of national unity. Their stance was that they served as directors not for the sake of international peace, but to serve the interests of their nations. Perhaps some of them... felt that these provisional directors had been secret traitors, who didn't approve of their own country's policies. Furthermore, these provisional directors had been given quite a lot of authority during this conference. What sorts of things might they say, these traitors who had prioritized their own sense of justice while neglecting the interests of their homelands? And how could they be restrained? And, how can I do that while pretending that my faction supports world peace? Surely, their bargaining and psychological warfare had already begun...

Eventually, they were all called to take a group photo, and the directors all began heading towards a space designated for the purpose. Apparently, they had already decided who would stand where beforehand. And, today's guests of honor, the provisional directors, were given the most important spots in the front.

Provisional Director:
"I'm honored to stand next to you, Mr. Liu. I'm Wicksell, from the AOU Joint Parliament. Pleased to meet you."

Liu Tiankai:
"God dag, Mr. Wicksell. Of course, I have heard a lot about you. I've been wanting to meet you at least once."

Wicksell:
"I'm sure... that we'll be speaking today about our common enemy."

Liu Tiankai:
"So am I. I believe we are likely witnesses to the most despicable act of organized crime in history. We must combine our information quickly and find out who is behind this."

Liu Tiankai:
"...Oh, pardon me."

Wicksell:
"Is it something urgent?"

Liu Tiankai:
"No, it's from my granddaughter. I'll read it slowly later on."

Wicksell:
"For her sake as well, we must kick out the people from across the planet who destroyed world peace for their own profit."

Liu Tiankai:
"I feel the same. That's why we have gathered here."

Reporters holding large cameras came inside, lead by Gauntlet Knights. Of course, a Gauntlet Knight had at least as much firepower as an aircraft carrier. They certainly weren't made for work as security guards. And yet, that's what they were doing. After all, a wall made of the shields emitted by multiple Gauntlet Knights could protect the VIPs in case something bad happened. In other words, it was like several cutting-edge aircraft carriers were guiding the reporters and protecting the VIPs of the Board of Directors...

Maricarmen:
"You now have permission to take photos! If any photos are taken after the end signal has been sent, your equipment will be confiscated! Furthermore, 300 seconds after the signal is given, all of your passes will no longer grant you access to the floor! Please note that remaining after that point will make you subject to unconditional arrest!"

"Now then, Major, I pray that you're able to take some good shots."
"Thanks. Well, since I'm here."

As flashes started appearing everywhere, Toujirou took out a retro camera of his own. Not only was it retro, but it had been created in the middle of the B3W era and probably belonged in a museum. However, this era was filled with things that looked retro on the outside, but were cutting edge on the inside. So, you'd naturally assume that Toujirou's camera was just a facade, but it was a real, bona fide retro camera. Apparently, the choice was down to his own sense of aesthetics and hobbies...

He peered through the finder and looked at the main topics of conversation, the provisional directors.

'At the end of the A3W era, when everyone eagerly anticipated World War IV, there was one miraculous moment in time, when all who remained true to their own sense of justice and hoped for world peace gathered here.' ...Sounds good.

Toujirou's finger... pressed down on the shutter.

The announcer was saying something to some staff members. He seemed faintly confused and hesitant.

Reporter:
"I'm standing here in front of the IPMA Headquarters! Just now, we heard a large explosion accompanied by a massive tremor...! The explosion is thought to have occurred inside the Headquarters... ow, ow, what's going on...?!"

LATO Police:
"Attention! Now speaking to all present! All press passes have been suspended! Please cease all press activities at once and leave the press area! In 300 seconds, the police will begin forcefully expelling anyone who remains!"

Reporter:
"That's not fair! Hey, stop, don't touch our equipment...! I said stop, *krrrk*, *ksssssht*! ...*piii*, *wrrrr*!! *piii*...!"

Miyao and the others were stunned silent, but the same horrible idea was floating through all of their minds...

In addition to the Warcats, a crowd of trainees had gathered in the officer's cafeteria and were all watching the same midair display. They had all gathered without anyone in particular organizing it, hoping to share in the joy of the moment when peace was finally restored, now that they had completed their mission of supporting the Walls of Peace. However, the peaceful atmosphere that had existed a second ago... was now completely gone.

"A terrorist attack?! Are you kidding me?!"
"We can't say for sure, but it's extremely likely."
"Keropoyo, get us some information, it doesn't matter what. Was this a terrorist attack or not?"
Poyopoyo! I've already started a predictive search poyo!
From what I can sum up, using the mutterings of members of the press originating from Brasília, it's still impossible to tell if this was an accident or a terrorist attack poyo.
"Have there been any deaths?!"
Judging by the number of ambulances gathered in front of the HQ building, there's thought to be at least 100 injured poyo.
"There were lots of Gauntlet Knights there serving as guards. They probably put up their shields instantly, so I'd like to think that the people standing behind them were protected."
"Come to think of it, weren't you in touch with those big sisters from LATO, Jayden?! Can you find out if they're okay?!"
"Yeah, that's right! I'll email them! Aaah, crap, I just hit send on an incomplete email draaaaaaaaaft!!"
Don't worry poyo! In times like this, you can count on Keropoyo! I scanned the text of the email just before you sent it, and I thought you should probably check it again before sending, so it hasn't gone out yet poyo!

"I-I'm sor- Meow, forgi- *cough*!"
"They should be on duty at the moment. They might not respond. How about on your end, Miyao? You said you saw your father in front of the HQ building, right?"
"Oh, uh, that's right! Dad! ...But he was outside the HQ building... He probably doesn't know what's going on inside."
You've received an email from "Lingji" poyo!
From Lingji? Oh, that's right! Her grandfather was attending that conference, wasn't he? Which means...he might have been caught up in that explosion...

That's right! Okay, might as well try sending Dad an email...!

Miyao:
"You were outside the building, right? I wasn't worried from the start."

Toujirou:
"That's not true. I got a pretty high-ranked press pass and went into the conference hall."

Miyao:
"O-Of course I want to see it...! My friend's grandfather was attending! She asked me to check if he was all right...!"

"Heheh. Who could've guessed that I'd not only escort you around, but save your life as well?"
"Without you, I would've been mincemeat. I'm grateful."
"Even so, you were in quite a convenient position."
"What's that supposed to mean? Is that an LA joke?"
"...When most reporters take photos, they don't try to put things in frame that aren't the subject of their picture."
"Ah, you got me. When my finder sees something beautiful, I can't help but want to get it on film."
"While most of the reporters were injured or killed, it was almost as though you were hiding in a position protected by the umbrella of my shield."
"Don't get the wrong idea. For some reason, I've always had good luck at times like this."

Miyao:
"Dad? Dad...?! Hey, answer me, what's going on?!"

"Oh, sorry about that. I was also having a conversation with someone in reality. Unlike your Gauntlet generation, it's hard for me to talk to two people at once."
"The video of the explosion, right? I can send it if it's in a format that can't be copied and that deletes itself after being played."

Miyao:
"I want to show it to my friend, so that she can see for herself that her grandfather's safe."

"Are you talking about Lingji from the COU's Baibao Squad? Yeah, now I remember. Liu Tiankai is her grandfather, isn't he?"

Miyao:
"That's right. That Liu Tiankai person is the only one whose safety I want to check!"

"...Major? Heheh, you must really be tired."
"Yeah, maybe. Once you lose the adrenaline, the weariness hits you pretty suddenly."
"I'd prefer to take you to your hotel, but I'll need you to come with me."
"I see. After all, I was the only foreigner on the scene. Well, I guess there's no helping it."

"Still, let me warn you. Naturally, this is an 18+ video. How old were you again? It feels like you graduated elementary school just last year. Your hands were so small and cute back then, and-"

Miyao:
"Quit it. Shut up and send it over already!"

"Heheh, as I'm sure you know, you won't be able to speak of, record, or reproduce anything that you witnessed today without LATO's express permission."
"Of course. I know that."
You sent one video to "My Son" poyo!
"My apologies, but I'll need to restrict your Selcom usage for a while."
"Thanks for the warning. Those electric guns really zap you, so I suppose it wouldn't be fun to get hit by one unexpectedly."
"Dad, thanks for the video! I got it!"
"Dad? Hello? Are you having an exciting chat with someone again, or what?"

BGM: Welcome to A3W

"Hey, how'd it go, Miyao?!"
"It sounds like Dad was at the scene of the explosion. He sent me an eye camera video."
"Isn't that...really dangerous?"
"Probably. He put some pretty strict limits on it, like making it impossible to copy and having it erase itself after playing."
"A-Anyway, let's watch... That's right, why don't we call Lingji over here? It'd be best if she saw it directly, right?"
"..."
"...No, I'll take responsibility for checking and just tell her the result."
"Nnn... S-Sure, good point."

The three Warcats gathered in a virtual room.

Roger that poyo! But first, I need to check with you poyo. Should I remove my filter for grotesque content poyo? You're trying to spot a specific person, so I thought adding a mosaic might get in the way poyo.
"...W-Well, it's a terrorist bombing after all. ..I guess... it'll be pretty bad..."
"That sort of thing doesn't bother me at all. Don't worry for my sake."
"...Still, it's possible that this video will give us a clue to the culprit."
"Y-You're right! This isn't just about whether Lingji's grandfather is safe. There might be some vital clues in there!"
"...If we can only play this video once, shouldn't we get a lot more people to watch and inspect it?"
"No, we also have to consider Miyao's father's position. Let's watch it with just us here."
"...Dammit... I'll definitely... find something...!"
"Keropoyo! Play it!"
Roger that poyo!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I do not trust the frog.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Keropyo is the only thing we can believe in in this world of A3W.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 20, 2020

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

At this point, I don't trust anyone.

see no weevil
Oct 31, 2019

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

At this point, I don't trust anyone.

Why would you not trust Keropoyo? He's cute, able to record everything you say in order to perfectly tailor your online experience, smart, capable of reminding you what you forgot a moment ago because he's always watching, funny, and just a lot of fun to be around!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
And best of all, he'll always be there for you! Because you literally can't delete him and he will destroy your life if you try!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This update once again bearing out a wise man's observation

https://twitter.com/dril/status/687446125457096704

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Toujirou did it, right? I mean, that we can probably all agree on. That’s so hosed.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I'm sure we can trust Toujirou. Look at this face, the face of someone traumatized by witnessing an act of terror:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Oh, I don't think anyone brought this up yet (I binged the whole thread yesterday): Wisteria, as in Toujirou's branch of the Three Kings cult, is the first kanji in Fujiwara, one of the most influential families in Japanese history. From Wikipedia: "The family's primary strategy for central influence was through the marrying of Fujiwara daughters to emperors. Through this, the Fujiwara would gain influence over the next emperor who would, according to family tradition of that time, be raised in the household of his mother's side and owe loyalty to his grandfather."

So take from that what you will.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
This post and one more will get us to a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Look on the next page for the update.