Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Helianthus Annuus posted:

whats the scale length on these? 25.5" or 24.75"

Gibson size: 24.75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

That's very cheap for an electric. Are these better than my garbage Epiphone Les Paul?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

kidkissinger posted:

That's very cheap for an electric. Are these better than my garbage Epiphone Les Paul?

Yes, absolutely. They are GREAT.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Don't put the screws to me like this!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Zaphod42 posted:

What's the problem? Latency?

I can deal with latency, although obviously less would be better, but it was just the general sound. I was just left feeling like the guitar sounded really bad. Admittedly, its been cased for years and hasn't had new strings in a while, so that's probably a big part of it. It sent me down a rabbit hole where I was considered a multitude of options. Started off with shopping for replacement pots for my Tele, and graduated to looking at multiple new guitars, etc. Just dumb GAS stuff, honestly, which I'm really trying to avoid. I've been a mediocre guitarist for 20 years, but rather than working on my playing I just buy poo poo.

Anyway, sorry to take this in an E/N direction, but just thinking through the issue kind of helped realign my thinking.

Captain Apollo posted:

So, I got my FireFly in today. My second, actually. I kinda don’t want to share anything about this guitar because I like secrets, but I only know about them because of this thread so I’m sharing the love.

I looked at that color really hard, but talked myself out of buying one of those since I didn't know anything about Firefly guitars. Kind of regretting it now that the first pictures and reviews are coming in.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Are you using a) an amp sim b) also a cabinet sim and c) reverb? You basically need all three.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The purple one is way cool but I already have a epi 335:ohdear:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
my newbie guitar player friend needs more help, and this time i want to solicit the opinion of the thread before telling him what to do

he wants to be able to transport that guitar around town. so he needs either a gig bag or a hard case. i think he should get a hard case because its probably going to get bashed around on the train

whats the smartest way to buy a hard case for an electric guitar without spending a zillion bux? craigslist?

i'm also asking for myself, because my full-scale bass guitar won't fit in any of my cases, so i'm in the market for one too. i think i'd rather just pay a little more to get one online vs hustling around town to meet CL randos

rio
Mar 20, 2008

my newbie guitar player friend needs more help, and this time i want to solicit the opinion of the thread before telling him what to do

he wants to be able to transport that guitar around town. so he needs either a gig bag or a hard case. i think he should get a hard case because its probably going to get bashed around on the train

whats the smartest way to buy a hard case for an electric guitar without spending a zillion bux? craigslist?

i'm also asking for myself, because my full-scale bass guitar won't fit in any of my cases, so i'm in the market for one too. i think i'd rather just pay a little more to get one online vs hustling around town to meet CL randos

Depending on the price he’s willing to pay a gig bag could be perfectly safe in that scenario. I’ve heard good things about Mono but I went with Reunion Blues. I know of a few jazz guitarists in NYC who use them and they are extremely solid. I seem to remember someone throwing one (with a guitar in it) off a roof and having it survive. I’ve been really happy with mine and while they aren’t cheap (though they are cheaper than Mono), it feels like it will last forever and I’m never worried about transporting a guitar.

Also I’m selling some stuff if anyone is interested, a bunch of new bass strings a Rode NT2, am Xotic BBPreamp and potentially a Lollar Special T bridge pickup and Zoom H6 with capsule extension cord (depending on interest). I have the former items in a thread and the last two I can add in if there’s any interest. All of it’s here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911039&perpage=40

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I always wanted a goldtop les paul (can you tell what band I grew up on?)

I have an epi sunburst les paul but its an epi. May have to buy a firefly next they have the LPs in stock... based on y'alls response...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thumposaurus posted:

The purple one is way cool but I already have a epi 335:ohdear:

You know what's cooler than one 335? Two of them. Bonus points if one of them is purple.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can't believe the Purple 338 is still available. I literally can't fit any more guitars in my house but geesh....

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

Are you using a) an amp sim b) also a cabinet sim and c) reverb? You basically need all three.
Quoting myself to add that you probably also want to plug the guitar into an input marked "high impedance" or "high Z".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Anybody tried putting flatwounds on a Tele? Does the bridge pickup still Tele properly if you do that?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

Anybody tried putting flatwounds on a Tele? Does the bridge pickup still Tele properly if you do that?

Yes, it owns. It’s its own sound but the bridge still sounds like the bridge. I love heavy flats on a Tele - it’s really versatile, or half rounds of you want more of a compromise.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I have a used MIM strat HSS from like 2008 and I just can't seem to get that classic boingy strat twang/quack out of it. It's kind of a darker and more rounded tone. Obviously the humbucker isn't going to sound like a single coil on the bridge but once long ago I had a fat strat that easily cranked out those sort of SRV clean tones from the single coils, even with a crummy crate amp. I thought maybe fresh strings would brighten it up and make it more articulate, but no dice. Maybe I should mess with the pickup height?

Side note, apparently the strings I put on were higher gauge/tension than the ones that had been on there because the trem/bridge lifted way up off the body and my god it was a pain in the rear end to get that sorted out and then get the string height/intonation back to normal-ish, with each adjustment sending the others out of whack. If I didn't love doing sweet surf poo poo with the trem I'd block that fucker.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
#unpopularopinion

Something that always frustrated me about photographers talking online is that most conversations are about gear and what you should be buying next. It was never about composition, design, color theory, best practices of working on set, working with the crew, location scouting, retouching, the philosophy and economics behind it, the style etc. Always back to whose camera brand sucked more, whose lens was sharpest.

I feel like music people online are exactly the same. Brand x vs y, DAW x vs y, VST x vs y. Seems like missing the point. Wonder how to fix that, or if it's even something in need of fixing.

lovely analogy, but it's sort of like novel writers arguing over what pencil they use to write. I feel like we should give less of a poo poo about that stuff.

I think it's a reflection of the fact that consumption is easy, and feels good in the moment, but creation is really hard. I'm 110% guilty of it myself. It's nice to buy a new guitar and noodle on it for a week or two while the fresh guitar smell is there. But actually recording something interesting that you're proud of. That takes years to get good at, and is pretty miserable until you become at least half-decent. The learning curve is high and the payoff is delayed.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 15, 2020

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

rio posted:

Yes, it owns. It’s its own sound but the bridge still sounds like the bridge. I love heavy flats on a Tele - it’s really versatile, or half rounds of you want more of a compromise.

Excellent. I've been bitten by the jazz bug and while I'm planning to head to Guitar Center this weekend to try out some hollowbodies I've heard that Teles are a surprisingly popular alternative.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does anyone have experience with Travelers?

https://travelerguitar.com/products/speedster-wine-red

P.S. Oh, there are foldable guitars???

https://voyageairguitar.com/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DreadCthulhu posted:

#unpopularopinion

Something that always frustrated me about photographers talking online is that most conversations are about gear and what you should be buying next. It was never about composition, design, color theory, best practices of working on set, working with the crew, location scouting, retouching, the philosophy and economics behind it, the style etc. Always back to whose camera brand sucked more, whose lens was sharpest.

I feel like music people online are exactly the same. Brand x vs y, DAW x vs y, VST x vs y. Seems like missing the point. Wonder how to fix that, or if it's even something in need of fixing.

lovely analogy, but it's sort of like novel writers arguing over what pencil they use to write. I feel like we should give less of a poo poo about that stuff.

I will say as much as I enjoy pedals and modeling as much as the next electric-only guitar player

But I often find with 200 knobs to tune you get overwhelmed and fiddle and never really settle in

Meanwhile if you're just jamming guitar and amp with some basic distortion, then you're all focused on the playing.

Tone comes from the fingers, after all.

So yeah, kinda agree.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

I will say as much as I enjoy pedals and modeling as much as the next electric-only guitar player

But I often find with 200 knobs to tune you get overwhelmed and fiddle and never really settle in

Meanwhile if you're just jamming guitar and amp with some basic distortion, then you're all focused on the playing.

Tone comes from the fingers, after all.

So yeah, kinda agree.

Yeah but you can do crazy poo poo with only a few notes if you spend ten-thousand dollars on pedals.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DreadCthulhu posted:

#unpopularopinion

I think it's a reflection of the fact that consumption is easy, and feels good in the moment, but creation is really hard. I'm 110% guilty of it myself. It's nice to buy a new guitar and noodle on it for a week or two while the fresh guitar smell is there. But actually recording something interesting that you're proud of. That takes years to get good at, and is pretty miserable until you become at least half-decent. The learning curve is high and the payoff is delayed.

:capitalism:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DreadCthulhu posted:

#unpopularopinion

My issue is I know how to half play a bunch of things, so I sit here and hear someone going to work on an instrument that's a degree of separation from something I know and it's like, "I kind of know how to play a tenor guitar, how much harder could a tenor banjo be (and hell, they're both tuned like a cello, could I play cello? how much even is a cello)?"

It's mostly just a disease of sitting around work waiting on quitting time. Once I get home I can actually play.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 15, 2020

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Maybe I should mess with the pickup height?
Always be messing with the height. It's super important to your tone.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
looking at gear online is easier than practicing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quit overcomplicating things. Gear is fun. Music is fun. It’s all awesome. Don’t take it too seriously. It ain’t that deep!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

they say "its full scale!"

but its actually 24.75" lol

edit: for something like this, i would rather have a strandberg. i'm not going to buy it because i'm on a budget, but... my god it checks a lot of my boxes

https://strandbergguitars.com/product/boden-classic-6-trem-burgundy-mist/

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 16, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah but you can do crazy poo poo with only a few notes if you spend ten-thousand dollars on pedals.

Then you can be the lead guitarist for U2

~ zing ~

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

That is full scale. Edit: After looking it up, I guess this is technically wrong. How about that. I had been taught that 24.75 and up was full scale ages ago.

Travellers are ok guitars, but you'd want to try one out in a store first. I have super long arms so the little arm rest hit my arm in an uncomfortable position. Personally, I'd go for a Steinberger instead.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 16, 2020

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

DreadCthulhu posted:

I think some of that is how good the tech was when you got into it. Like these days you almost have to work to find a truly awful audio interface, but in the early 2000s, you were absolutely drowning in garbage (I still remember the original Firebox preamps being the shittiest thing on earth, whereas these days even crappy Behringers are better). That used to be the thing ages ago with "stock plugins"- everybody would argue over which VSTs you did or didn't need to buy to replace the stock plugins- these days that sounds asinine, and stock plugins or freeware are often phenomenal, but if you cut your teeth in Cubase circa 1995, you will absolutely think stock EQ plugins are hot garbage.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Chip McFuck posted:

That is full scale. Edit: After looking it up, I guess this is technically wrong. How about that. I had been taught that 24.75 and up was full scale ages ago.

Travellers are ok guitars, but you'd want to try one out in a store first. I have super long arms so the little arm rest hit my arm in an uncomfortable position. Personally, I'd go for a Steinberger instead.

"Full scale" is kind of a fake idea since guitars have never had a canonical scale, but since they're specifically aping a Tele here you could argue that to be full scale it'd have to be 25.5".

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Death Panel Czar posted:

I think some of that is how good the tech was when you got into it. Like these days you almost have to work to find a truly awful audio interface, but in the early 2000s, you were absolutely drowning in garbage (I still remember the original Firebox preamps being the shittiest thing on earth, whereas these days even crappy Behringers are better). That used to be the thing ages ago with "stock plugins"- everybody would argue over which VSTs you did or didn't need to buy to replace the stock plugins- these days that sounds asinine, and stock plugins or freeware are often phenomenal, but if you cut your teeth in Cubase circa 1995, you will absolutely think stock EQ plugins are hot garbage.

That's true. Same thing in photo actually. The shittiest $300 kit will deliver fantastic work in the right hands. The problem is actually getting out there and doing the work, going through the years of sucking. Ain't nobody got time to go to the gym and lift every day for the next 10 years. Instead we gotta discuss the best creatine brand on Internet forums.

As per Mick Gordon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmUvKe0wlgI&t=1253s

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's easier to just look at gear and fantasize, but it's also easier to talk about, even if you know how to play it can be hard to really talk about that while also being understood by your audience. Part of it too I think is that the writing process can be very personal and there's the fear that you're going to say something that everyone already knew and you sound like a dingus, while also putting yourself out there.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A lot of stuff doesn't really merit talking about, like right now I'm practicing chord voicings and there's not really much to do there except grind them out until they're in your muscle memory.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

edit: for something like this, i would rather have a strandberg. i'm not going to buy it because i'm on a budget, but... my god it checks a lot of my boxes

https://strandbergguitars.com/product/boden-classic-6-trem-burgundy-mist/

I was looking at a guitar for travel and bought a Steinberger instead and IT. IS. A. HOOT.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Steinberger/Spirit-GT-Pro-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-Black-1274034468335.gc

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

my post was a playful dig at gibson fans, so trap sprung :D

but you're right that 24.75 is full scale for some kinds of electric guitars, just not what i prefer

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Anime Reference posted:

A lot of stuff doesn't really merit talking about, like right now I'm practicing chord voicings and there's not really much to do there except grind them out until they're in your muscle memory.

Yep music practice is fuckin banal and there's a ton of stuff to deal with that doesn't fit together neatly. The answer to "how do I do the thing" is always just "repeat it literally hundreds of times"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm working through Marilynn Mair's classical mando book when the kids are up and noodling through jazz progressions on the acoustic in my real book after everyone is asleep.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

I was looking at a guitar for travel and bought a Steinberger instead and IT. IS. A. HOOT.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Steinberger/Spirit-GT-Pro-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-Black-1274034468335.gc

i was thinking about getting one a while ago, but i got spiced out by the fact that they require special strings. a ball on each end

on the one hand, that sounds awesome and a lot easier to change strings

but im not sure i like being locked into a specific kind of guitar string

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I'll walk the talk. I enjoyed this lesson, it reminded me of just how expressive the guitar can be if you remember that you have a highly responsive string instrument that can be modulated in oh so many ways. Consciously adding attitude to your playing can make a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypYIDbhBQxE