Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I can't tell if I'm missing an in-joke but the artists' names are Rod Reis and Joshua Cassara if anyone wants to search for examples before checking out the books.

Ron Reis is a former professional wrestler best remembered as THE YET-AY, a mummy who dryhumped Hulk Hogan back in the 1990s, possibly the original fucky thot enforcer for the Dungeon of Doom.

I don't know who Josh Casserly is.

I am also realizing that I know Ron Reis's last name is pronounced "reese" but I've been pronouncing Rod Reis like "rice" for the past decade.

no i just forgot Cassara's last name and grasped at a similar sounding one and even as i was typing that post i was struggling to remember if it was Rod or Ron Reis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cloks posted:

Yeah, Ron Reis seems like a great stylistic follow-up to Sienkiewicz.

His work, especially on New Mutants, makes me think of Phil Noto with a Sienkiewicz filter and those are two great tastes that are great together.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Hickman Nightcrawler

And I'm all the way in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dreqqus posted:

Hickman Nightcrawler

And I'm all the way in.

Before anyone gets too excited this is part of Giant-Size X-Men, so it is a one-shot

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Alan Davis might just be my absolute favorite artist for Nightcrawler too.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Oh poo poo I didn't even see the artist. Hell. Yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hickman and Davis doing Nightcrawler is an instant buy for me hot drat

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
How is New Mutants so good?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

omnibobb posted:

How is New Mutants so good?

Magik.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aside from the various psychics she is by far the most terrifying x chatacter.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Aside from the various psychics she is by far the most terrifying x chatacter.

This is mostly Bendis?

I reread a bunch of Claremont stuff with her a few years ago and her characterization there was always the horror/demon princess thing but held back by a scared teenage girl. I don't think I noticed her as a heavily used character again until Bendis.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

This is mostly Bendis?

I reread a bunch of Claremont stuff with her a few years ago and her characterization there was always the horror/demon princess thing but held back by a scared teenage girl. I don't think I noticed her as a heavily used character again until Bendis.

Kieron Gillen wrote a fantastic Ilyana, his entire run is a bit uneven art-wise but absolutely worth reading.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Archyduchess posted:

Kieron Gillen wrote a fantastic Ilyana, his entire run is a bit uneven art-wise but absolutely worth reading.

The new mutants run by zeb wells is great and she is awesome in it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
She's always been one of my favorites, only beaten by Rogue as my favorite lady X-men honestly. And not just because seeing her in a Bikini in the 80s at a young boy made me realize I like girls. Thank god it didn't instill any other things in me, because if you know what I'm talking about you know what else Claremont put in those issues.

But she's been written as fun, scary, crazy, caring, and generally a complex and interesting character. I really wish she would hang out with the other magical Marvel characters, because those brief stories are always fun.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hi thread, I fell behind after the first few issues of each of the new series. Which should I spend the money to catch up on? Definitely planning on Marauders and New Mutants. NO to Fallen Angels. What about the others? Are they total poo poo or worth catching up on?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hi thread, I fell behind after the first few issues of each of the new series. Which should I spend the money to catch up on? Definitely planning on Marauders and New Mutants. NO to Fallen Angels. What about the others? Are they total poo poo or worth catching up on?

Marauders & New Mutants feel the most "fun" to me. X-Men and X-Force seem to be the most important though.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Excalibur is also leagues better than Fallen Angels, despite being a little meandering itself

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Sandwolf posted:

Excalibur is also leagues better than Fallen Angels, despite being a little meandering itself

I like the characterizations but not the story. like its hovering at the cusp of me dropping it.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 15, 2020

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

good day for a bris posted:

I like the characterizations but not the story. like its hovering art the cusp of me dropping it.

This is a good way to put it. Apocalypse and Gambit and Richtor have been a lot of fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I would say X-Men has been pretty fun, each issue seems to be a seperate vignette with Cyclops as the main recurring character, but there's a lot of world building and probably has the second most amount of jokes after Marauders.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I would say X-Men has been pretty fun, each issue seems to be a seperate vignette with Cyclops as the main recurring character, but there's a lot of world building and probably has the second most amount of jokes after Marauders.

Second jokiest is definitely New Mutants I would say, X-Men probably third.

Fallen Angels has no sense of humor but is, in and of itself, a joke.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The art in FA is so bad I almost empathize with the artist for how much poo poo they’ve been receiving on the internet

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Second jokiest is definitely New Mutants I would say, X-Men probably third.

Fallen Angels has no sense of humor but is, in and of itself, a joke.

i brought it up before in this thread but i never had a realization snap into my mind as quickly as when i learned the writer of Fallen Angels was a writer and executive story editor for the tv show Titans

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

i brought it up before in this thread but i never had a realization snap into my mind as quickly as when i learned the writer of Fallen Angels was a writer and executive story editor for the tv show Titans

Thing is, I like that show.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

That makes so much sense.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

LifeGetsWorser posted:

That makes so much sense.

He's also the dude who wrote a supremely creepy arc in Ms. Marvel (back when Carol Danvers held that title) about the Puppet Master sex trafficking superheroes with his mind control powers. Seeing his name pop up at the end of a Titans episode made a lot of intuitive sense, honestly.

e: I am WRONG about this, see below

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 15, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

He's also the dude who wrote a supremely creepy arc in Ms. Marvel (back when Carol Danvers held that title) about the Puppet Master sex trafficking superheroes with his mind control powers. Seeing his name pop up at the end of a Titans episode made a lot of intuitive sense, honestly.

I think you're mixing up Brian Reed (the Puppet Master guy) and Bryan Edward Hill (the Fallen Angels guy).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

I think you're mixing up Brian Reed (the Puppet Master guy) and Bryan Edward Hill (the Fallen Angels guy).

I absolutely am. My bad!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Magneto stating that Capitalism is the real enemy was bitchin', though I still wonder what exactly about the tenth life of Moira is supposed to be completely different from all previous attempts. House/Powers kept going on about something had to be different, but what really has besides us getting good writing for once? I thought they were going somewhere with robots since House/Powers had multiple asides about how Sentinels are inevitable but then a character or narrator saying "But what if them being anti-mutant isn't" but I haven't seen a single robot yet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whew. Hill seems alright on Batman and The Outsiders so I was kinda worried for a second. (People have pointed out it's a little funny he's good with Cass but not Laura.)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

galagazombie posted:

Magneto stating that Capitalism is the real enemy was bitchin', though I still wonder what exactly about the tenth life of Moira is supposed to be completely different from all previous attempts. House/Powers kept going on about something had to be different, but what really has besides us getting good writing for once? I thought they were going somewhere with robots since House/Powers had multiple asides about how Sentinels are inevitable but then a character or narrator saying "But what if them being anti-mutant isn't" but I haven't seen a single robot yet.

Yeah this is still bugging me, too.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

galagazombie posted:

In the direct sense, the thing that makes Moira's plan different this time is that instead of following down the road of Charles's dream (Life 4), Magneto's vision (life 8) or Apocalypse's vision (Life 9) she has instead united them in a single cause.

In the more nebulous sense, given that we learned in Life 6 that mutants are always predestined to fail because simple biological evolution can't compete with human social/technical revolution, I'm guessing that her eventual plan is to tame human social progress, either by limiting/pacifying humanity through carrots and sticks, or by spurring mutant social and technical progress to outcompete humanity's.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

In the direct sense, the thing that makes Moira's plan different this time is that instead of following down the road of Charles's dream (Life 4), Magneto's vision (life 8) or Apocalypse's vision (Life 9) she has instead united them in a single cause.

In the more nebulous sense, given that we learned in Life 6 that mutants are always predestined to fail because simple biological evolution can't compete with human social/technical revolution, I 'm guessing that her eventual plan is to tame human social progress, either by limiting/pacifying humanity through carrots and sticks, or by spurring mutant social and technical progress to outcompete humanity's.
It's a good guess.
This probably that problem I don't know the name for where threats keep escalating in response to each other.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

In the more nebulous sense, given that we learned in Life 6 that mutants are always predestined to fail because simple biological evolution can't compete with human social/technical revolution.

I was never comfortable with the idea that humanity bettering itself through genetic engineering and technology was a bad thing that had to be stopped. Like Captain America and Iron Man must die so that Wolverine may live. If anything genetic engineering would basically eliminate the problem since Mutants would just genetically engineer themselves as well and normal people wouldn't really fear mutants because now everyones a superhuman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I was never comfortable with the idea that humanity bettering itself through genetic engineering and technology was a bad thing that had to be stopped. Like Captain America and Iron Man must die so that Wolverine may live. If anything genetic engineering would basically eliminate the problem since Mutants would just genetically engineer themselves as well and normal people wouldn't really fear mutants because now everyones a superhuman.

Much like real life racism, there's absolutely no logic behind anti-mutant racism, but people still loving do it all the time. And there's real life issues right now about technology and racism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nevvy Z posted:

It's a good guess.
This probably that problem I don't know the name for where threats keep escalating in response to each other.
The Lensman Arms Race.

galagazombie posted:

The problem isn't Captain America and Iron Man, the problem is the Red Skull and Bolivar Trask.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Skwirl posted:

Much like real life racism, there's absolutely no logic behind anti-mutant racism, but people still loving do it all the time. And there's real life issues right now about technology and racism.

But no longer being able to tell the difference has turned out to be the "solution" to lots of racism in the real world. Like how in America racism against Germans, Irish, and Italians disappeared because once you could no longer tell them apart there was nothing really to be racist against. giving everyone laser toes or bat wings would probably get rid of anti-mutant bigotry better than anything else since now you can't tell them apart and thus direct anger at them. Funnily enough if it had actually worked Magneto's make everyone mutants plan from the first X-men movie would be one of the best ways of solving every problem mutants face.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nessus posted:

The problem isn't Captain America and Iron Man, the problem is the Red Skull and Bolivar Trask.

I mean, if I'm some random mutant, I might make a distinction between thosee two sets of people here but Cap and Tony are still loving cops for humans, right? The argument of a group like BLM isn't that all loving cops are racist pieces of poo poo but that there's a lot of racist pieces of poo poo in the cops and a general institutional racism. The existence of Cap and Tony don't seem to be stopping state-sponsered anti-mutant bigotry so... why the gently caress would I support them?

galagazombie posted:

Like how in America racism against Germans, Irish, and Italians disappeared because once you could no longer tell them apart there was nothing really to be racist against.

Besides the fact that this isn't what happened with white immigration in the US, it ignores the fact that some groups will never be considered white. So you can give powers to every human or put cybernetic livers in them or whatever but they're still not mutants. That's explicit in the whole X-Men concept: in a world where there's literal gods and radioactive spider-bites, the distinction between those born with these powers DOES exist. Just as it's there for people in the real world born with certain skin color, or a certain orientation or what have you. Putting everyone in black face doesn't end loving racism.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The reason the Avengers don't help defend mutants is because they don't appear in the books that's happening. When they do appear in them, they're generally written "no, mutants are people, gently caress you loving racist shitheads *hits with shield*"

Avengers Vs X-men notwithstanding of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

galagazombie posted:

We're still in the early game man, this is Hickman we're talking about. None of this stuff will be resolved for literal real life years.