Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CommonShore posted:

My work parking spot has outlets but I'm pretty sure that the employer doesn't actually power them.

the only time my car isn't plugged in nowadays is the 30 miserable minutes i spend buying groceries at the superstore each week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

infernal machines posted:

you ever get the feeling you're living in a place not meant for human habitation?

suburbia?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ontario Teacher's Strike update:

quote:

The details of the compensation are as follows:

$60 per day for children up to 6 years old who are not yet enrolled in school but attend a school-based child care centre that is required to close on account of a strike.

$40 per day for students in junior or senior kindergarten.

$25 per day for students in Grades 1 to 7.

$40 total per day for students in junior kindergarten to Grade 12 (or aged 21 and under) with special needs.

Minister of Education Stephen Lecce told reporters Wednesday morning the offer of compensation was an effort by the province to be "proactive."
"It is our hope that it will provide some relief to families," Lecce said.
The cost of this program works out to $48 million a day if all Ontario teachers' unions walked out at once, Lecce said. According to the ministry, the amount paid in teacher salaries across the province works out to about $60 million a day.

I'm not sure the province has thought this strategy through.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I mean, spending 80% percent of your salary budget to get 0% of the teaching done. Not very good math!

Not to mention, you know, lots of teachers are also parents. You're subsidizing the most vulnerable strikers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also they're preemptively defusing the number one weapon that gets deployed against striking teachers which is "think of the children and the poor families that have to spend on childcare" but if the province is giving parents subsidies to help them find childcare then that solves both those problems and the teachers can strike forever

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's amazing how decades on the Days of Action still have the Tories jumping at their own shadow.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Ontario Teacher's Strike update:

I'm not sure the province has thought this strategy through.

holy poo poo this is the dumbest thing ontario could do

next they are going to have ministers scab and teach classes themselves

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jan posted:

suburbia?

there too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

Not to mention, you know, lots of teachers are also parents. You're subsidizing the most vulnerable strikers.

i'm 100% okay with this.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

vaguely. also comical videos of a slight dusting of snow and people's vehicles sliding down hills like very expensive toboggans because winter tires don't exist there

you can drive around in the snow without winter or weather tires, just be prepared to slide into literally everything :rolleyes:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

i'm 100% okay with this.

My kids are gonna make me $65 a day!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

My kids are gonna make me $65 a day!

finally those little loafers are pulling their weight

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have a strong premonition that this anti-strike strategy will backfire and the Ontario government will either not honour or at some part abruptly cancel this compensation program.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it is on it's face incredibly illconsidered and counter productive (for the government), so you might be tempted to think there's some angle here we're just not seeing. but then you realize this is the ford government and it's entirely possible that they are just doing something incredibly stupid for terrible reasons

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

it is on it's face incredibly illconsidered and counter productive (for the government), so you might be tempted to think there's some angle here we're just not seeing. but then you realize this is the ford government and it's entirely possible that they are just doing something incredibly stupid for terrible reasons

i mean i assume the idea is to win over the parents to be supporters of the ford government by giving them free money, but :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably, but since a lot of the pressure against the strike is from parents complaining that they have to pay for child care, subsidizing that seems counter productive if you want to keep the pressure on the teachers union. spending almost as much to do it as you do on paying the teachers anyway is just icing on the cake really

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

probably, but since a lot of the pressure against the strike is from parents complaining that they have to pay for child care, subsidizing that seems counter productive if you want to keep the pressure on the teachers union. spending almost as much to do it as you do on paying the teachers anyway is just icing on the cake really

Just send your children to picket with the teachers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

holy poo poo this is the dumbest thing ontario could do

next they are going to have ministers scab and teach classes themselves

remember when we made the parliamentary assistant to the education minister a home schooled teen?

good times in ontario, i tell you

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just send your children to picket with the teachers.

learning to participate in labour action is educational

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Please strike. It will be so good.

Also my best employer will run daycare style programming and I get paid way more when I teach.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Jan 15, 2020

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

remember when we made the parliamentary assistant to the education minister a home schooled teen?

good times in ontario, i tell you

learning to participate in labour action is educational

please welcome your new calculus teacher rob ford

ford: "listen kids math is bullshit, all because we are using the ARABIC number system"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who could have predicted that Doug Ford would be responsible for the boldest and most generous new child care program in Canada since 1998.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

i mean i assume the idea is to win over the parents to be supporters of the ford government by giving them free money, but :shrug:

They're going to use the money spent on strike support as an excuse to cut funding elsewhere and try blame it on the teachers.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:haw:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Jun 20, 2021

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/krushowy/status/1217570489801023490

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

meanwhile, at queens park

*yakety sax plays on loop*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Where is doug appearing from via green screen this week??

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the snow has started again and could go all night :rip:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/BCMikeMcD/status/1217483373238579200

"SORRY," gets me every time

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Juul-Whip posted:

"SORRY," gets me every time

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Maybe they all stopped for cheesecake??

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

If I take the daily kid stipend and give it to the Ontario ndp is it still taxable?

Noblesse Obliged has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Jan 16, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Meanwhile in Montreal it's one of the least snowy winter in years.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

priznat posted:

Maybe they all stopped for cheesecake??

i would like some cheesecake

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

this is more uspol and im probably not the first person to make this observative, but with putins move to make himself godleader of russia isnt it weird how every dumbass pundit isnt calling for western powers to do a regime change but when the us vaporizes an iran general everyone rushes to type war essays

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You generally don't call for a regime change for a nuclear power.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

iran has nuclear capabilities

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
maybe the commentariat got burned out after calling for war with russia nonstop from 1945-91 so now theyve moved on to easier targets

anyway iran is considered a safe target for a war because it wont affect america, but russia is big and scary, remember how much "clinton wants to start a war with russia" was a line in favour of isolationist trump in 2016

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

this is more uspol and im probably not the first person to make this observative, but with putins move to make himself godleader of russia isnt it weird how every dumbass pundit isnt calling for western powers to do a regime change but when the us vaporizes an iran general everyone rushes to type war essays

Iirc the global military capabilities rankings have both Iran and Russia in the top-6 so yeah I think this is an apt comment.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's a lot easier to agitate for war with "terrorists" than with the good ol white boys in russia. world is a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also these days republicans love russia because putin is a strong manly conservative