Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

I think the reason why people are nominating it is because they watched the match instead of a GIF

Hence my asking if the incredibly bad gif used as a promotional highlight was in fact a representative sample, given my previous experience with an incredibly overhyped Devlin match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

People are praising the punches in this match which is even funnier than the dumb rope spot because the punches look like poo poo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Draxion posted:

what on earth is he doing diving into the ropes
He did that spot once where it made sense in a match against Dunne and because it got a big pop he has to do it in all matches because that's how WWE work.

Either way Nth for MOTY

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC: Gallus vs. Imperium vs. Grizzled Young Vets vs. Andrews/Morgan, NXT UK Takeover Blackpool 1/12

Totally different kind of candidate from the previous but this match was loving insane and awesome.
nth

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: WALTER vs. Joe Coffey, NXT UK Takeover Blackpool 1/12

Good match. Could’ve been great but I thought the middle messed it up quite a bit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

If you dont watch this, you're loving up. Nth

People not watching Hino vs Okabayashi are loving up too, if just to be weirded out by how prominent Yuji Hino's belly button is and how much less silly than Will Ospreay he looks while wielding a sword.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
MOTYC: Jordan Devlin vs. Tyler Bate, NXT UK Takeover Blackpool 1/12

MOTYC: NXT UK Tag Title Ladder Match - Gallus vs. Imperium vs. Grizzled Young Vets vs. Mark Andrews & Flash Morgan Webster, NXT UK Takeover Blackpool 1/12

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I Before E posted:

Is this dumbass spot representative of the rest of the match? Is this another Devlin/Starr where it's a solid 3.25 inflated to a 4.5 by British Isles Brain Disease?

:rolleyes:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That a yes or a no?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

I think the reason why people are nominating it is because they watched the match instead of a GIF

I mean usually I'd agree but this is the GIF the company has chosen to promote the match and not some random dude on Twitter thinking the dumb spot was cool.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
HM: Kay Lee Ray vs. Toni Storm vs. Piper Niven, NXT UK Takeover Blackpool 1/12

MOTYC: Tyler Bate vs. Jordan Devlin, NXT Takeover Blackpool 1/12

HM: Gallus vs. Imperium vs. Grizzled Young Vets vs. Andrews/Morgan, NXT UK Takeover Blackpool 1/12

Good show. The atmosphere in the building for the the Bate/Devlin match was incredible at times

Kevino07 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 25, 2020

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM
12/1
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 2
EIDION Arena, Osaka
Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament Round 2
Jason Lee & Yosuke♥Santa Maria vs Masato Yoshino & Susumu Yokosuka

HM
12/1
EIDION Arena, Osaka
Ben-K & YAMATO vs Big R Shimizu & Eita

I'll 2nd these as well as throw out an

HM
1/12
EIDION Arena, Osaka
Kzy & Dragon Dia vs Dragon Kid and KAGETORA

If only for Dia's amazing performance and the spot where he and Kagetora just loving lay into each other with chops. So far the tag tournament has been a load of fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kevino07 posted:

Kay Lee Ray vs. Toni Storm vs. Piper Niven, NXT UK Takeover Blackpool 1/12

Hey Kevin, is this an HM or a MOTYC nod?

Edit: Also, this year I'll be separating out successful NXT noms from WWE noms purely so I can keep track of the breakdown between the two. You can still add both together for the overall WWE but after last year I'm really interested in keeping an easy track of just how much of WWE's MOTYCs come from NXT as opposed to the main roster.

Animal Crackers
Jun 11, 2012
NXT UK Takeover 12/1

HM: Kay Lee Ray vs Toni Storm vs Piper Niven
MOTYC: Tyler Bate vs Jordan Devlin
MOTYC: Gallus vs Imperium vs Grizzled Young Vets vs South Wales Subculture

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
HM CMLL Friday Arena Mexico 1/10

Atlantis Jr., Star Jr., Valiente v Hechicero, Rey Bucanero, Templario

With a lot guys away in Japan you get a really fun semi main with guys who don’t usually get the spotlight.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Hey Kevin, is this an HM or a MOTYC nod?

Edit: Also, this year I'll be separating out successful NXT noms from WWE noms purely so I can keep track of the breakdown between the two. You can still add both together for the overall WWE but after last year I'm really interested in keeping an easy track of just how much of WWE's MOTYCs come from NXT as opposed to the main roster.

I'm gonna say 100 percent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Prepare for a bunch of recs to come in across the day as I make my way through the 4/1 NOAH show & possibly the 5/1 too.

HM
4/1
Pro Wrestling NOAH NEW SUNRISE
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Hideki Suzuki & Kinya Okada vs Kongo (Kenoh & Yoshiki Inamura)

Looking on the card this didn't stand out at all. Okada is just over a year into his career, Suzuki was trained by Billy Robinson (maybe his last trainee?) & started in the weird IGF fed before going freelance. He's in Sugiura-gun and they are in the midst of a feud with Kongo and this match plays off both Okada & Suzuki. Inamura & Okada start, young boy holds his own & then Inamura tags in. Kenoh wants Suzuki but Okada refuses to tag out and wants to test himself against a former GHC Heavyweight Champion. Kenoh has no respect for his strikes but that doesn't stop Okada from trying. Kenoh ends up kicking his head off and winning by KO. There's nothing ground breaking but I'm a sucker for really simple wrestling story telling executed really well (which is why one of my fave matches from 2019 Champion Carnival remains Aoki vs Miyahara, the Junior ace stepping up to take on the Heavyweight ace, the Heavyweight underestimating him and the veteran Junior doing everything he can with that advantage.).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4/1
Pro Wrestling NOAH NEW SUNRISE
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Michael Elgin

Elgin in Japan is still decent fun. Nakajima rules.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can I just say it's very drat confusing that you're talking about a match involving Okada and Suzuki on Jan 4th and it's not NJPW?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'm gonna say 100 percent.

12 of the 17 wwe matches nominated here as a motyc were nxt. 3 of the main roster ones had Daniel Bryan in them, the other was Becky vs Asuka and Mysterio vs Andrade 2 out of 3 falls.

HM: Aleister Black vs. Buddy Murphy - WWE Raw Jan. 13th

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Atlantis Jr., Star Jr., & Valiente vs. Hechicero, Rey Bucanero, & Templario, CMLL on Marca (1/10), https://youtu.be/cxgHlcDSDjo?t=01h22m57s

A really fun CMLL trios match with guys you normally don’t see features like this holding the fort down during Fantasticamania. If you want to be impressed by this company’s depth, check this match out.

HM: Shingo Takagi & EVIL vs. Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW New Year’s Dash

Beefy fathers with beef.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Can I just say it's very drat confusing that you're talking about a match involving Okada and Suzuki on Jan 4th and it's not NJPW?

There's at least one other wrestler under 30 called Okada, and Dragongate has an Okuda just for added confusion

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Just to clarify Yusuke Okada is the good Okada, then you have Kinya Okada and then some Podunk company has a dude called “Kazuchika Okada” but you probably haven’t heard of him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

HM
1/12
EIDION Arena, Osaka
Kzy & Dragon Dia vs Dragon Kid and KAGETORA

If only for Dia's amazing performance and the spot where he and Kagetora just loving lay into each other with chops. So far the tag tournament has been a load of fun.

Meant to 2nd this.

HM
15/1
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 4
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament Final
Ben-K & YAMATO vs BxB Hulk & KAZMA Sakamoto

Was a bit disappointed with this show today, I think I'm starting to turn on the Toryumon team because while they have some great people there are also an awful lot of guys who just need to retire or at least never feature outside of an opening match. Still, this match wasn't hampered by old dudes with nothing left to give and was fun, despite a bit too much in the way of nonsense shenanigans.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Ortiz & Santana vs. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page vs. Chuck Taylor & Trent vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson, AEW Dynamite 1/15

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Punch McLightning posted:

MOTYC: Ortiz & Santana vs. Kenny Omega & Hangman Page vs. Chuck Taylor & Trent vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson, AEW Dynamite 1/15

nth

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that was the kinda of spot fest I love

Animal Crackers
Jun 11, 2012

Nth.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Haven't seen a pwg-esq sprint in a while nth

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
WMOTYC: Hikaru Shida & Kris Statlander vs. Brandi Rhodes & Mel, Dynamite 1/15

i'll go with a one star match on national tv

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Jon Moxley vs. Sammy Guevara, Dynamite 1/15

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

HM: Jon Moxley vs. Sammy Guevara, Dynamite 1/15

nth

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

nth

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I really missed this kind of 2015 PWG tag

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM:

Diamond Dallas Page, Dustin Rhodes and QT Marshall vs MJF, The Butcher and the Blade (with and The Bunny) AEW DYNAMITE 1/15

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

MassRafTer posted:

HM:

Diamond Dallas Page, Dustin Rhodes and QT Marshall vs MJF, The Butcher and the Blade (with and The Bunny) AEW DYNAMITE 1/15
Seconded.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

HM:

Nth

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: PAC vs. Darby Allin, Dynamite, 1/15

chef kisses to this show outside of the women's match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll say HM for this one, but man what a fun match.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

2nd. What a loving brutal match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the womens match wasnt bad though??

HM to the bucks/pnp/best friends/ page omega and pac/darby from AEW Bash at the Beach