Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Note: even though Reply All is allegedly a podcast about the internet, it goes weird places and has been my favorite podcast two years in a row. I listen to a lot of podcasts, hundreds and hundreds of hours a year (social anxiety + living alone for awhile + having a lot of hobbies where "the hands are busy but the brain is not"), and Reply All's format and topics are just super loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Reply all is good,so is Criminal. It's a true crime podcast but it doesn't focus on murders

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Queen Combat posted:

(social anxiety + living alone for awhile + having a lot of hobbies where "the hands are busy but the brain is not")

hello, me

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

AFewBricksShy posted:

Thanks I’m always looking for a good podcast to listen to.

Reply All is not just a good podcast, it is the BEST podcast (except for possibly 99% Invisible). I also suggest episodes 64-67 On The Inside: For years, Paul Modrowski has been writing a blog from inside a maximum security prison. Only thing is, he was arrested when he was 18 and has never seen the internet. Sruthi Pinnamaneni reaches out to him with one small question that alters the course of her next year.

It's almost like a mini season of Serial.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

n’thing the recommendation of Reply All, it’s amazing.

The episode they did on the 30-50 feral hogs meme was way more interesting than it had any right to be.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a place where Reply All suddenly gets awesome? To hear people in here talk about it, it's unbelievably good, but I tried to start at the beginning, and it was just bleh. Should I try jumping in at episode twenty or something?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Is there a place where Reply All suddenly gets awesome? To hear people in here talk about it, it's unbelievably good, but I tried to start at the beginning, and it was just bleh. Should I try jumping in at episode twenty or something?

Someone posted a list of good episodes up above. I wouldn't go through it chronologically because it's such a grab bag of different topics. But it is definitely one of the best podcasts ever. I think it's also from the people who made TLDR back in the day?

These might be dupes with other suggestions, but my favs are these. They're more lighthearted mysteries so maybe off-topic, but overlapping.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2ho6j/ - pizza rat's mysterious backstory
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/6nh3wk/ - tracking down an international phone scammer
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/v4he6k - tracking down a instagram hacker
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/n8hodm - finding out why many strangers came to believe one person stole their phone

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ay_aue/status/1215644285837533185?s=19

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

nth+1'ing Reply All, I got into it because of On The Inside, which is thread-appropriate and still leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling, but the rest is fantastic (and more comedy/internet humor based). If you skip around and can't find any you like, maybe it's just not your thing.

I'm sure it's been recommended before, but I just finished listening to "Done Disappeared" and got a few big laughs out of it, you can listen to the first season in an hour or two. I don't wanna ruin the one joke I found funniest, but referring to "Mitch Goubert" of "Bucket and Pail" as a "psychiatric expert" years before that whole thing went down in flames is pretty great.

Listening to Accused S3 now and if you've ever wondered how someone could commit suicide by gently lowering themselves into molten sodium a little bit at a time, it's worth a listen.

(spoiler: you don't, you're a bag of water and explode on contact with molten sodium, i thought an entire episode devoted to debunking the suicide theory was gonna be a bit much, but this makes a death mentioned earlier in this thread a much more clear cut and horrifying homicide)

RNG has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Jan 12, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Re-listened to The Woman in the Air Conditioner from Reply All on my way home from work today and what an amazingly strange story. A man wants ambient noise to sleep to, and asks his Google home for air conditioner sounds. In his pitch black basement room, he hears an air conditioner, a woman walking down the stairs, and her saying something in a foreign language. It pops off there and spans from the weird world of relaxation apps, to sound warehouses, to the loving Berlin Wall, and the Vin Diesel movie XxX. A must listen.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

RNG posted:

nth+1'ing Reply All, I got into it because of On The Inside, which is thread-appropriate and still leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling, but the rest is fantastic (and more comedy/internet humor based). If you skip around and can't find any you like, maybe it's just not your thing.

I'm sure it's been recommended before, but I just finished listening to "Done Disappeared" and got a few big laughs out of it, you can listen to the first season in an hour or two. I don't wanna ruin the one joke I found funniest, but referring to "Mitch Goubert" of "Bucket and Pail" as a "psychiatric expert" years before that whole thing went down in flames is pretty great.

Listening to Accused S3 now and if you've ever wondered how someone could commit suicide by gently lowering themselves into molten sodium a little bit at a time, it's worth a listen.

(spoiler: you don't, you're a bag of water and explode on contact with molten sodium, i thought an entire episode devoted to debunking the suicide theory was gonna be a bit much, but this makes a death mentioned earlier in this thread a much more clear cut and horrifying homicide)

Really it's the sodium that explodes on contact with me, take that sodium

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Really it's the sodium that explodes on contact with me, take that sodium

this is an avenue they explore

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

xtal posted:

Someone posted a list of good episodes up above. I wouldn't go through it chronologically because it's such a grab bag of different topics. But it is definitely one of the best podcasts ever. I think it's also from the people who made TLDR back in the day?

These might be dupes with other suggestions, but my favs are these. They're more lighthearted mysteries so maybe off-topic, but overlapping.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2ho6j/ - pizza rat's mysterious backstory
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/6nh3wk/ - tracking down an international phone scammer
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/v4he6k - tracking down a instagram hacker
https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/n8hodm - finding out why many strangers came to believe one person stole their phone

Untrustable posted:

Re-listened to The Woman in the Air Conditioner from Reply All on my way home from work today and what an amazingly strange story. A man wants ambient noise to sleep to, and asks his Google home for air conditioner sounds. In his pitch black basement room, he hears an air conditioner, a woman walking down the stairs, and her saying something in a foreign language. It pops off there and spans from the weird world of relaxation apps, to sound warehouses, to the loving Berlin Wall, and the Vin Diesel movie XxX. A must listen.

I haven't gotten anything done this morning thank you so much! What a fascinating podcast!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Any episode of Reply All about super tech support is always good. As mentioned above, the episode where they try to solve why Find My Phone apps were directing hundreds of people to one particular house is such an engrossing mystery.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Untrustable posted:

Google home devices will auto play recommended YouTube videos on the TV if left unattended.

This sounds like an "ambient sounds" tracks auto playlist that went awry.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Any episode of Reply All about super tech support is always good. As mentioned above, the episode where they try to solve why Find My Phone apps were directing hundreds of people to one particular house is such an engrossing mystery.

This was my first Reply All episode and it's definitely my jam. It's the kind of technical problem that only huge inert bureaucracies can create.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Episode 80: Alex and PJ try to explain Loss to their boss and Jason Mantzoukas. https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/v4hemk

quote:

JASON MANTZOUKAS: And then fourth panel, he's standing next to a woman's bed who's sitting on her side, crying ... um, and he is — looks very nervous and um, upset. Right? He looks nervous.

ALEX GOLDMAN: Yes.

JASON MANTZOUKAS: Um ... my assumption on this comic is that she has had a miscarriage.

ALEX GOLDMAN: That is correct.

PJ: Wow.

JASON MANTZOUKAS: Boom! How's that feel?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jason's pretty funny on How Did This Get Made

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Google home devices will auto play recommended YouTube videos on the TV if left unattended.

This sounds like an "ambient sounds" tracks auto playlist that went awry.

It is so much stranger and complex than that. A real rollercoaster. Just listen. Reply All is really good about taking a mundane mystery and digging into it only to find that, at it's core, it's a tapestry of strangeness beyond what you could have imagined.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Episode 80: Alex and PJ try to explain Loss to their boss and Jason Mantzoukas. https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/v4hemk

hearing alex bloomberg and jason mantzoukas in the same podcast is not something i ever ever expected to hear. this is like that peanut butter in my chocolate commercial and i am here for it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

After all the hype about a secret group of mercenaries and assassins for hire, Lake City Quiet Pills was a one-man hoax and the associated forum was actually a bunch of roleplayers from Second Life.
https://twitter.com/sociablebarely/status/1210109285885042688

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jan 16, 2020

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

After all the hype about a secret group of mercenaries and assassins for hire, Lake City Quiet Pills was a one-man hoax and the associated forum was actually a bunch of roleplayers from Second Life.
https://twitter.com/sociablebarely/status/1210109285885042688

I remember losing a lot of interest in the old Thinking Sideways podcast when they fell for it so hard (at times a decent unsolved mystery podcast, now discontinued, that's hard to recommend since they had such a slide in quality toward the end). It was always a pretty clear hoax, even if it was kind of a fun one. Well, aside from the apparently very real and horrible existence of dark servers and the at best sketchy contents hosted within. Or possibly some genuinely bad poo poo being run through the site.

My own :tinfoil: was comparing the rise of Q to Lake City Quiet Pills, I always had a tiny little thought that they were connected. Oh well.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I remember losing a lot of interest in the old Thinking Sideways podcast when they fell for it so hard (at times a decent unsolved mystery podcast, now discontinued, that's hard to recommend since they had such a slide in quality toward the end). It was always a pretty clear hoax, even if it was kind of a fun one. Well, aside from the apparently very real and horrible existence of dark servers and the at best sketchy contents hosted within. Or possibly some genuinely bad poo poo being run through the site.

My own :tinfoil: was comparing the rise of Q to Lake City Quiet Pills, I always had a tiny little thought that they were connected. Oh well.

Well Q and Quiet Pills are both hoaxes that a bunch of people have fallen for so they have that connection at least.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Patients being treated for burns from a volcanic eruption are suffering from really weird infections, and no- one's sure if it's because of the chemicals involved doing strange things to their burns that make them vulnerable, or if it's because of the bacteria in the volcanic environment https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118837369/trauma-rehab-and-unusual-infections-for-volcanic-burn-victims

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Infection by extremophiles sounds like it would be horrible.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Telsa Cola posted:

Infected By Extremophiles will be the name of my new RPG

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Adaptation works both ways, no? Something that works well on a rock near a fuckin volcano should be very confused indeed by the conditions it encounters in your Juices.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Just ask Twitter lol

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

slinkimalinki posted:

Telsa Cola posted:

Just ask Twitter lol

Ouch. Burn.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/panarin_misha/status/1218172449692495872?s=19

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/why-anthony-bourdains-parts-unknown-iran-set-episode-isnt-hulu-1270701

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I've been watching the Airplane Crash documentary series, Mayday. It's very good. But occasionally you get incidents that land in this thread.

2002 Überlingen mid-air collision.

The tl;dr is that a jet and a cargo plane collide, and the jet is full of school-children. No one survives.

quote:

Devastated by the loss of his wife and two children aboard flight 2937, Vitaly Kaloyev, a Russian architect, held Peter Nielsen responsible for their deaths.[22] He tracked down and stabbed Nielsen to death, in the presence of his wife and three children, at his home in Kloten, near Zürich, on 24 February 2004.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He was sentenced to eight years but released after two, went back to Russia and was given a hero’s welcome.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

He was sentenced to eight years but released after two, went back to Russia and was given a hero’s welcome.

I have mixed feelings about that because Nielsen's fuckups did lead to the deaths of dozen of children.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

I hear the Russkies give you a medal for shooting down an airliner, what gives?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have mixed feelings about that because Nielsen's fuckups did lead to the deaths of dozen of children.

Unless he was drunk or actively loving around then he was acting in good faith and the fault is entirely shared by his management for understaffing the position and/or the designers of an ATC system that didn't properly coordinate with TCAS and didn't properly support the operator in challenging conditions

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

Unless he was drunk or actively loving around then he was acting in good faith and the fault is entirely shared between his management for understaffing the position and/or the designers of an ATC system that didn't properly coordinate with TCAS and didn't properly support the operator in challenging conditions

I hadn't thought about it like that. Thank you.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1219697316061315073?s=19

Lots of unnerving content in the news these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Two years in a Swiss jail for some good old fashioned blood revenge doesn't sound too bad.