Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I saw the wollemi thing a little earlier today and it makes me happy that they didn't get burnt along with everything else. In other news they're super worried about the water quality into warragamba with the coming rain because it will wash all of the ash and other poo poo into the dam because there isn't a single section of the perimiter of the dam atm that hasn't been burnt. In addition to that all of the catchment area of the dam got burnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I was reading that they have put nets and booms across the dam to try to catch a lot of the runoff before it gets to the filtration systems and overwhelms it.
It was also announced that the Kurnell Desalination plant is going to expanded to provide more water but thatll take a while obviously.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's loving pouring down in Canberra.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Helith posted:

I was reading that they have put nets and booms across the dam to try to catch a lot of the runoff before it gets to the filtration systems and overwhelms it.
It was also announced that the Kurnell Desalination plant is going to expanded to provide more water but thatll take a while obviously.

I dont think its gonna do a massive amount given the predicted amount of rain between now and Monday. Water in the upper mountains will be alright though cause that stuff gets sent from the dam at Oberon before they treat it in Katoomba. Its supplemental to what flows into the Katoomba dams from rainfall.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not bad.

https://twitter.com/TheRealBozza1/status/1217043785999273985

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Having a beer to celebrate the Wollemi pines surviving.

gently caress yeah.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm a Californian. My state burns every year so I'd have no excuse to disregard this. I donate $50 in solidarity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm a Californian. My state burns every year

...something that actually a little bit made worse by you having imported Australian eucalyptus trees aka natural firebombs!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

...something that actually a little bit made worse by you having imported Australian eucalyptus trees aka natural firebombs!

It's only fair; Apparently the pine tree plantations on Kangaroo Island are what really hosed the place up when they went up like firebombs too.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah maybe a few

This reminds me of

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm a Californian. My state burns every year so I'd have no excuse to disregard this. I donate $50 in solidarity.

Thank you for your generosity to strangers dear goon.

I'm sorry I haven't been up on updates in the thread the last few days.
Honestly feeling a bit burnt out. Pun not intended.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Ive got the same sorta feeling. Ive basically been on high alert since November and its starting to wear thin. Weve had 20mm of rain so far and theres still more falling. Im hoping with the rest of the rain forecast it puts the fires out without starting any additional ones.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I saw some flood warnings popping up today in some areas affected by the fire, so hopefully the rains help, but also stay safe from flooding!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope they make a movie about this, for real

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If any non Aus goons are a bit puzzled as to why we're so emotional about these particular trees (for real I choked up and had tears pricking at my eyes when I read about them being saved) lets just say that in a continent chock full of special, rare, one of a kind species, these trees are the rarest, specialest, most one of a kind the world has.

Finding them was like wandering into a secret valley and finding a group of dinosaurs alive.

Their precise location is kept secret to protect them from diseases and there are only 200 of them in this secret valley, which means only there are only 200 of them anywhere in the world in the wild. Lose those and they become extinct in the wild.

We saved a species from going extinct! :buddy:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I hope they make a movie about this, for real

yeah! Dropping feet first into literal hell to protect 100,000 year old trees, thought to be extinct 200 million years ago. against all odds and unprecedented conditions.

are you a bad enough dude to save the Wollemi Pines?

Helith posted:

If any non Aus goons are a bit puzzled as to why we're so emotional about these particular trees (for real I choked up and had tears pricking at my eyes when I read about them being saved) lets just say that in a continent chock full of special, rare, one of a kind species, these trees are the rarest, specialest, most one of a kind the world has.

Finding them was like wandering into a secret valley and finding a group of dinosaurs alive.

Their precise location is kept secret to protect them from diseases and there are only 200 of them in this secret valley, which means only there are only 200 of them anywhere in the world in the wild. Lose those and they become extinct in the wild.

lets hope we dont get some rear end in a top hat with a drone flying over the national park looking for the very obvious green stripes in the baron wasteland of scorched earth trying to figure out where they are.

from what my horticultural buddies are saying, its less so about the trees themselves (despite them being estimated at up to 100k years old) but the ecosystem itself is potentially that old too, and seems rather fire resistant so maybe theres some poo poo we can learn from it to better protect other ecosystems in the future.

the whole thing is fascinating and much like you when I read the story last night on my way home I welled up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh god all the instagrammers will be wanting to take selfies with the pines.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Helith posted:

I'm not an aussie but I studied paleontology in college and I totally get how you feel. It's like a real-life Lost World, surely one of the rarest ecological treasures this planet holds. I'm glad enough people understood their incalculable value to science, humanity and nature to risk their lives in their defense.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This Guardian article has attached video about the rescue effort and is a good explainer about the Wollemi pine

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/15/dinosaur-trees-firefighters-save-endangered-wollemi-pines-from-nsw-bushfires

Also, rain!

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1217559328695078913

woke up to a thunderstorm this morning and more are on the way this arvo.

Helith fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 16, 2020

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Laserface posted:

yeah! Dropping feet first into literal hell to protect 100,000 year old trees, thought to be extinct 200 million years ago. against all odds and unprecedented conditions.

are you a bad enough dude to save the Wollemi Pines?

lets hope we dont get some rear end in a top hat with a drone flying over the national park looking for the very obvious green stripes in the baron wasteland of scorched earth trying to figure out where they are.

from what my horticultural buddies are saying, its less so about the trees themselves (despite them being estimated at up to 100k years old) but the ecosystem itself is potentially that old too, and seems rather fire resistant so maybe theres some poo poo we can learn from it to better protect other ecosystems in the future.

the whole thing is fascinating and much like you when I read the story last night on my way home I welled up.

I know exactly the group of fuckwits that would fly a drone to attempt to find the wollemi pines. They go around the mountains attempting to find things like clifftop waterholes but they're a mission to get to and you need to pay them to get the details which I think is fully hosed up.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Laserface posted:

baron wasteland

Sorry for the off-topic post and I'm really super glad the firies were able to save the Wollemi pines but

I was thinking Baron Wasteland would be a good name for a Captain Planet villain, but it turns out he already is one but for a different show

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Anyone else notice the air quality forecast on aqicn.org always seems to be more optimistic than the results? They were predicting green range in Melbourne today, but it hasn't dipped below yellow so far :/

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I feel like air quality forecasts are generally pretty inaccurate. The EPA's AirWatch only does same day forecasts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MaliciousOnion posted:

I feel like air quality forecasts are generally pretty inaccurate. The EPA's AirWatch only does same day forecasts.

The time-lapse map has been a pretty decent estimate as it gets to within a day or two, and they update it with new data every few hours. Best they can do is estimate on what they have for any given moment.

The forecast also seems to be an expected average rather than for all sites, and that just means some places still get the outliers.l, though it's FINALLY reaching green ranges for most of Melbourne. Also can't help but be amused at Brighton sitting on a value of 1 right now. It's like a middle finger to having massively higher values than everywhere else the past two weeks :allears:.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Melbourne has been spared the smoke for most of the last few months but lately it's been alternating between two extremes. Here's the view from my apartment today and yesterday.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Just in case you think there is hope things will turn around politically on the issue, here is evidence to the contrary:

Coalition's axing of funding to climate change adaptation body condemned

It needs to be noted that the government has now shifted from "Climate change is crap" to "Climate change is crap and even if it is real, it is too much effort to stop it so we are gonna deal with mitigation instead of emissions cuts". Given our history, this will probably focus on protecting the white well to do people because they are "lifters not leaners" and they have shown a distinct willingness to cut their own throats if that is what it takes to stop from giving anything to the less fortunate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pickled Tink posted:

Just in case you think there is hope things will turn around politically on the issue, here is evidence to the contrary:

It needs to be noted that the government has now shifted from "Climate change is crap" to "Climate change is crap and even if it is real, it is too much effort to stop it so we are gonna deal with mitigation instead of emissions cuts". Given our history, this will probably focus on protecting the white well to do people because they are "lifters not leaners" and they have shown a distinct willingness to cut their own throats if that is what it takes to stop from giving anything to the less fortunate.

The real reason is there in the article;

quote:

“To reduce the amount of gas and coal mined and burned in Australia is the [better] response … to prevent hotter and drier summers in future.”

ScoMo can't sell coal and gas overseas if he listens to what they say. Better to gut them and shut them up.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The mountains got smashed by the storm that rolled through across the catchment for warragamba. We managed to get 30mm at Leura and the same band stretched lower down the hill so hopefully the fire grounds got a good drenching.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
18-month-old kid in country NSW sees rain for the first time in his life:
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/little-boy-sees-rain-for-very-first-time/ar-BBYZZUo

:unsmith:

Pickled Tink posted:

Can't have climate change getting in the way of growth!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfSZ0D39AI
(Note the date on that video)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 16, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1217622740078739456

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1217750814531260417

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/australia-fire-relief

25$ for a bunch of games, but Hollow Knight is the stand out one in the lot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
80mm between 9pm last night and 9am this morning, suns out and radar looks clear but the darling and granite belt both look like they got a good drenching

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I woke up to the sound of rain this morning and the neighbours kids playing outside in it splashing and laughing :3:

As someone who grew up in England I never thought I'd be so bloody pleased to see rain!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Absolutely buckets here on the northern beaches. Cleaning off Subaru Foresters and absolutely overflowing gutters everywhere.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

well why not posted:

Absolutely buckets here on the northern beaches. Cleaning off Subaru Foresters and absolutely overflowing gutters everywhere.

Like any Subaru Forester from the Northern Beaches has ever got dirty.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Haha they do, the lifted Land Cruisers and Patrols ... less so.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
So far weve managed to rack up 45 mm of rain based on the rain gauge out the back. Its annoying that the auto weather station is showing like 9mm instead. Thankfully Katoomba has one that gets checked at 9am which had a decent amount of rain in the gauge.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

A coworker just referred to the Liberal Party as "the coalfuckers", and I think that's just fantastic.

By the way, for our overseas friends, when we're talking about the Liberal party, or "the libs", we're not talking about what the rest of the world thinks of as "liberals", ie the left wing. The Liberal Party call themselves that because they're economically liberal. They're notionally centre-right, but have become more and more conservative over time. Since time immemorial they have been in a coalition with the National party, who are notionally representatives of rural Australia and are pretty much just more conservatives. So that's who we're talking about when we say "the coalition".

The opposition party are Labor, who are notionally centre-left but also pander to the right wing with their immigration policies. The closest party to being what US folks would call "liberals" would be the Greens, who I don't think have ever held more than one seat in the lower house but sometimes end up holding the balance of power in the Senate.

e: also, funny thing: we also have republicans, but that refers to people who think Australia should become a republic instead of a constitutional monarchy. The monarchists tend to be right-wing. So, our "liberals" are actually right-wing, and our "republicans" actually tend to be left-wing!

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/australia-fire-relief

25$ for a bunch of games, but Hollow Knight is the stand out one in the lot.

Unlike most humble bundles, 100% of this is going to 3 charities (and you can pick relative distribution of your payment between the three) and none of it's going to the Humble Store or the devs, so this is an impressive philanthropic effort on a lot of people's part. :unsmith: