Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Typical Goon posted:

I really liked the scene when Geralt just straight up tells Yen to her face that she'd be a terrible mother and she gets all shocked because obviously no one else has the balls to tell this intimidating rear end women some honest truth

Geralt and Yen challenge eachother and this is why she is best girl

thepokey posted:

So according to that netflix interactive map, Geralt is about 30 years older than Yen? Is this a change from the books/games? Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I seem to remember Yen being the older of the two, although not by a great deal.

Yeah, that is a change for sure.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean the age difference between Geralt and Yen was part of the books' theme of "people at more than they appear to be" so making Geralt the older one isn't that big a deal, but it still changes how one views the relationship.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status/1217508175991255040

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that should really underline how successful the Netflix show has been, which is good! now they can improve without worrying about being on the chopping block

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be really easy for Netflix to make a joke about Jaskier's name confusion once people start reading the books and see Dandelion instead. Since his real name is Julian he could have a quip about how his been toying around with a new portmanteau and reference his English translation nickname.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Suddenly The Witcher becomes the new game of thrones

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Asema posted:

yeah that should really underline how successful the Netflix show has been, which is good! now they can improve without worrying about being on the chopping block

Sapowski has said that game sales have directly cost him book sales, and while I think that's overstating it, he's probably pretty happy about the show.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

zoux posted:

Sapowski has said that game sales have directly cost him book sales, and while I think that's overstating it, he's probably pretty happy about the show.

Did he actually say that? I have no idea how that could be possible. Folks are buying books that had no idea they existed before the game, and now the show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Did he actually say that? I have no idea how that could be possible. Folks are buying books that had no idea they existed before the game, and now the show.

Sapowski posted:

It is also important to note that there is a negative aspect, damages if you like, that I bear because of the game, but neither the game or, God forbid, its creators can, of course, be blamed for such state. Some foreign publishers are doing me a disservice by painting my books with artwork borrowed from the games, and including game advertisements and game related blurbs inside.

Though I praised the knowledge and familiarity of fantasy readers, there are some among them who have less of it. Sometimes, by looking at the covers, they reject books as game novelizations, products secondary to the game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

He's an rear end in a top hat. Nobody west of Berlin gave a drat about The Witcher until cdpr started making games.

How can you have sour grapes when you're making money off something and more people are seeing your work?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He does have a point that the north american covers of the books do suck.

The Spanish covers look amazing though.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

wiegieman posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat. Nobody west of Berlin gave a drat about The Witcher until cdpr started making games.

How can you have sour grapes when you're making money off something and more people are seeing your work?

He got very, very little money out of Witcher-games before they renegotiated the deal recently. The license had been sold for a pittance, and he was mad about that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I remember reading that quote now. Like dude, because of the games, your books are now in English and much more widely available than they ever were. For every 1 or 2 idiots that passes on the book because of the cover, another 1-200 are likely picking them up. I'm curious if anyone's actually measured, since you can't measure sales that didn't happen, but I bet sales only increased since 2007 in English speaking countries.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

He got very, very little money out of Witcher-games before they renegotiated the deal recently. The license had been sold for a pittance, and he was mad about that.

Also this was his own fault. CDPR offered him both a decent sum of money or royalties, and he assumed the games would bomb, so he took the up-front cash. He's been quoted as saying it was his fault as well. It's not like CDPR stiffed him on anything. If anything they likely didn't know the first game would do as well as it did either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Just to emphasize this, look at these dates for publishing the main saga:

Blood of Elves (orig. Krew elfów, 1994, English edition: 2008)
Time of Contempt (orig. Czas pogardy, 1995, English edition: 2013)
Baptism of Fire (orig. Chrzest ognia, 1996, English edition: 2014)
The Tower of the Swallow (orig. Wieża Jaskółki, 1997, English edition: 2016)
The Lady of the Lake (orig. Pani Jeziora, 1999, English edition: 2017)

The witcher 1 was released in 2007. The books had not been released in english when the game came out

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The very first short story was translated at least, as it came with boxed copies of The Witcher. I'm assuming that was the first time any of his work had been officially translated in any capacity.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also note that sapkowski and CDPR just signed a new deal letting CDPR continue to use the license for future games. Presumably sapkowski got a better deal out of this arrangement than the first deal he made with CDPR and both sides sounded a lot more optimistic and less confrontational this time around.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing I was glad to see (or not see) was CDPR never said anything negative regarding Sapkowski or his grumpy quotes. Class.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dante Aligheri, however, could raise some legit beef

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

chaosapiant posted:

Yea he said it back before the renegotiation, when he was super salty about how popular The Witcher 3 was right after release and how much money it was making

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I never get enough of stories about Sapkowski being a cantankerous old fart. I'm sure book sales went through the roof as the Witcher games came out, but he stayed the same bitter prick. I think he mellowed in recent years though, and he got more amicable with CD Projekt Red too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

That is amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

That is amazing.

Didn't realize there was so much gear farming with Virgil in the original cantos but tbh I've never read it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Something I’ve heard/read a lot regarding Sapkowski is that he’s not nearly as cantankerous as he seems, and a lot of his sarcasm or whatever is lost in translation. I can kinda see that being the case and hope it’s true.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Didn't realize there was so much gear farming with Virgil in the original cantos but tbh I've never read it.

The canto where Dante beats up the Angel of Death, rips out its spine and turns it into a seven foot long battle scythe was underappreciated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah if you see his video interviews he just seems like a jaded old grump rather than someone with a seething resentment.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

chaosapiant posted:

Also this was his own fault. CDPR offered him both a decent sum of money or royalties, and he assumed the games would bomb, so he took the up-front cash. He's been quoted as saying it was his fault as well. It's not like CDPR stiffed him on anything. If anything they likely didn't know the first game would do as well as it did either.

He may be a dick, in fact he is one, but the CDPR deal came on the heels of the original show failing iirc. So he assumed any adaptations would fail, especially a videogame from a small developer at the time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

davidspackage posted:

I never get enough of stories about Sapkowski being a cantankerous old fart. I'm sure book sales went through the roof as the Witcher games came out, but he stayed the same bitter prick. I think he mellowed in recent years though, and he got more amicable with CD Projekt Red too.

Well the netflix series has been so popular that on sites like Amazon some of the better known Witcher books sold out of the paper copies.

The release of the time was also corresponded to a big spike in Steam sales and people playing the witcher 3

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there are conversations between sapkowski and hissrich up on youtube that you can find. whatever he was in the past he's pretty chill right now and seems to be an active consultant on the tv project.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

esperterra posted:

He may be a dick, in fact he is one, but the CDPR deal came on the heels of the original show failing iirc. So he assumed any adaptations would fail, especially a videogame from a small developer at the time.

Didn't even know there was an original show. Some Polish production?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Yeah I think he sold the entire rights for something like 12k USD.

It's mainly because in a Ok Boomer! he didn't think anyone would have interest in the games.

I guess he didn't know the games would include things like a gotta catch them all card for each chick Geralt bangs in the first game.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
The man probably got a big paycheck for the Netflix series, just got another big payout from the new CDPR deal, and got a huge spike in book sales. He's probably pretty happy now all things considered.

The CDPR deal being bad was definitely his fault but I'm still glad they worked something out where he could get paid. It must be a massive bummer seeing tremendous money made off your creation, even if he was at fault for making the deal. I'm sure at the end of the day CDPR is also happy to get him a small bit of the fortunes his work brought in, they are obviously giant Witcher fans.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The first Witcher game had a lot of problems on release, if CDPR hadn’t stuck with it and released the enhanced edition that made it playable a few years later he would’ve been right.

Then Witcher 2 was excellent and Witcher 3 is arguably the best ARPG ever.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The first Witcher game had a lot of problems on release, if CDPR hadn’t stuck with it and released the enhanced edition that made it playable a few years later he would’ve been right.

CDPR releasing that huge patch a year later is what caught my attention. They re-recorded most of the voice acting! They did a huge free extended edition patch for the second game as well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hobbesmaster posted:

Witcher 1 Enhanced was very awesome of CDPR to do, but it’s not like The Witcher was poorly reviewed and/or poorly sold. It did very well, way beyond expectation, especially from a developer no one heard of from an Eastern European company using a hugely dated engine. The only reason I got The Witcher when it released was because it was absolutely surrounded with positive buzz. It definitely had some issues on launch, but positive feedback wasn’t it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It was also their first game, right? Up until then they'd been doing localisations and stuff. No way I'd have gone for a percentage on that, especially back in 2005 or so. Take the lump sum, buy a sports car.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was also their first game, right? Up until then they'd been doing localisations and stuff. No way I'd have gone for a percentage on that, especially back in 2005 or so. Take the lump sum, buy a sports car.

Yes it was their first. Prior to that they did stuff like localize Baldur's Gate and I think NWN for Poland. That's what gave them a contact with Bioware to license their engine, as well as needed tech support from Bioware since they basically cracked the engine wide open to make it work the way it does.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Witcher 1 Enhanced was very awesome of CDPR to do, but it’s not like The Witcher was poorly reviewed and/or poorly sold. It did very well, way beyond expectation, especially from a developer no one heard of from an Eastern European company using a hugely dated engine. The only reason I got The Witcher when it released was because it was absolutely surrounded with positive buzz. It definitely had some issues on launch, but positive feedback wasn’t it.

It's pretty amazing the overall leap in production values going from Witcher to Witcher 2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DDmJF9NFRo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The English subtitles are hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

It's been a long while since I read the book, which canto was it that described satans big swinging cock?