Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Colonel Whitey posted:

Are the other quests in the game that nuanced and interesting? I’ve seen people say that it’s the best quest in the game so I’m worried it’s downhill from here.

The Bloody Baron is definitely one of the best stories but there are others that are on the level if not better such as the entirety of Hearts of Stone.

Also even the quests/stories that don't quite make it to that level still tend to be very very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cerys's quest in Skellige is sort of like that with the two types of endings.

Where the Cat and Wolf play is a dilemma that is personal to Geralt.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Are the other quests in the game that nuanced and interesting? I’ve seen people say that it’s the best quest in the game so I’m worried it’s downhill from here.

There's a ton of really really good side quests but not really any others that hit all the same strengths. Bloody Baron is long, has great characterization, a dungeon romp, some truly hosed up monsters, comic relief (Princess and Johnny), and emotional gut punches. Other quests do some of those things but none really hit all the same notes.

That's the base game. Hearts of Stone is equal if not better than Baron and the side quests in B&W are stellar.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

WoodrowSkillson posted:

are you on death march yet? at the very least DM makes it so you can only take a few hits, even when overleveled. otherwise, yeah the issue with the difficulty has always been that it progressively gets easier as you get witcher gear and more abilities and tools to play with.

I'm playing on DM and still finding it super easy. It's true as the other poster said too, the more I unlock the easier the game gets. Some of these skills are incredibly OP, and I'm still just using basic attacks. I haven't even unlocked whirl, or the cheat death ability, or used the invincible Dodge ability. Also my OCD levels of scouring have granted me a rather large amount of mutagens from fighting monsters so my bonus I feel is quite big for that level

Colonel Whitey posted:

E: Weird cause I’m playing on I guess normal difficulty, yet I don’t feel OP at all like that other poster. I feel pretty well matched with the quests that are around my level, maybe they just found some kind of OP silver weapon?
No, I just panicked thinking I couldn't re-visit white orchard so I went full OCD scouring the map for every little secret and there's six places of power in white orchard, which, if you're level 6, effectively doubles your power since it gives you 6 skill points which is incredibly OP. I'd recommend not doing that. I have no gear right now, I'm still using a white silver sword because I haven't found anything better. I'm trying to use all light gear for the cat's build skill point that gives additional damage, but I'm finding that build incredibly OP so maybe I'll swap to the bear build or something.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Guilty posted:

No, I just panicked thinking I couldn't re-visit white orchard so I went full OCD scouring the map for every little secret and there's six places of power in white orchard, which, if you're level 6, effectively doubles your power since it gives you 6 skill points which is incredibly OP. I'd recommend not doing that. I have no gear right now, I'm still using a white silver sword because I haven't found anything better. I'm trying to use all light gear for the cat's build skill point that gives additional damage, but I'm finding that build incredibly OP so maybe I'll swap to the bear build or something.

I actually did that too. Yet somehow I feel pretty balanced, maybe slightly OP for certain quests? I wonder if I’m not picking the best skills or something, though I immediately fully leveled the increased light attack one.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Also you might really just have the hang of W3 combat, you're Good at Witchin. If you can dodge hits and use the right signs for enemies that's like 90% of winning combat

The difficulty will jump in the DLCs though.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Imo the strongest early build is signs with medium (Griffin is medium). The generic medium armor skill gives you insane stamina regen, I wanna say pretty much doubles your base so you can throw tons of signs

Alternate Yrden is easy mode, it's great against everything especially wraiths

But do what's fun and wear what looks cool min maxing is not at all necessary.

Dirtbag dadbod vibes 4, lyfe

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 16, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Hearts of Stone is the best writing across all the Witcher games combined. It’s real good.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Guilty posted:

I'm playing on DM and still finding it super easy. It's true as the other poster said too, the more I unlock the easier the game gets. Some of these skills are incredibly OP, and I'm still just using basic attacks. I haven't even unlocked whirl, or the cheat death ability, or used the invincible Dodge ability. Also my OCD levels of scouring have granted me a rather large amount of mutagens from fighting monsters so my bonus I feel is quite big for that level

straight up, you might just be really good at the game. after playing for a while, DM is no challenge for me either. Once it "clicks" you can avoid taking hits from anything not a boss monster. however the combat is somewhat clunky and not something everyone picks up, especially if you're not a dark souls (or whatever game) fan. for you i'd say start trying some of the more fun gimmicky builds, like focusing on alchemy and bombs, or all signs and go mage geralt.

the combat is fun, but not the biggest draw. everything else is, and then fighting dudes and monsters is also fun and enjoyable.

Colonel Whitey posted:

BB is one of the high points, and one of the more extended stories. HOS is even better, and B&W has a similarly intricate main story. There are a ton of very good stories still for you to see. BB is singularly good in its portrayal of such a complex character and the path of destruction he caused.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's pretty easy to build a tanky Geralt too so it doesn't matter if you end up taking a couple of hits. Green mutagens increase your health and there's a green skill that boosts the slotted mutagens effects so you can end up with 900 extra health from one greater green mutagen. Couple that with decoctions like Ekhidna which restore health for using stamina, e.g. casting a sign and Ekkimara that restores health for doing damage to enemies, and you end up with a very robust Geralt.
You can also take a skill that makes every potion taken heal some health for you as well.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Colonel Whitey posted:

I actually did that too. Yet somehow I feel pretty balanced, maybe slightly OP for certain quests? I wonder if I’m not picking the best skills or something, though I immediately fully leveled the increased light attack one.

Try using the cat passive that gives bonus damage for each light armor piece you have on or whatever. Then I found out the best thing to do is just push Dodge, then light attack 3/4 times and then press Dodge again. I don't even look at what the enemies are doing, I just go in this pattern and as long as there aren't 10 different enemies surrounding me, or a wraith that requires yrden, I'll win every fight without getting hit. It even works on bosses as long as there aren't extraneous conditions. It doesn't make sense to me because even if my timing is completely off and I'm on the Dodge portion of my cycle, the enemy will still miss me completely even if the animation hasn't started yet or has already finished. There seems to be a ton of invincibility frames with Dodge, and I don't even have the invincible Dodge skill yet.

Edit: also looking at my skills and I'm using a maxed out axii skill, the mind control one. That one is pretty OP on humans because you can just cast it and then do a finisher that will kill them in 1 hit, I'm not sure how. Happens only like 75% of the time

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 16, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Guilty posted:

Try using the cat passive that gives bonus damage for each light armor piece you have on or whatever. Then I found out the best thing to do is just push Dodge, then light attack 3/4 times and then press Dodge again. I don't even look at what the enemies are doing, I just go in this pattern and as long as there aren't 10 different enemies surrounding me, or a wraith that requires yrden, I'll win every fight without getting hit. It even works on bosses as long as there aren't extraneous conditions. It doesn't make sense to me because even if my timing is completely off and I'm on the Dodge portion of my cycle, the enemy will still miss me completely even if the animation hasn't started yet or has already finished. There seems to be a ton of invincibility frames with Dodge, and I don't even have the invincible Dodge skill yet.
Are you dodging (short sidestep) or rolling? I find spamming dodge and light attacks like you're doing the simplest and most effective method too. .dodge dodge hack hack hack repeat

I don't use the full roll often

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Guilty posted:

Yeah I figured all that out, but that’s just learning how to effectively win combat, not having your character be OP. It sounded like you were destroying stuff higher than your level in 2-3 hits, which sounds crazy based on my experience so far.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maxxed delusion is important for making the shield dudes not be annoying.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Full roll is useful for enemies that do a quick double attack like wraiths and foglets and hags. The dodge only gets you away from the first attack leaving you open to the follow up. Roll gets you far enough way to avoid both. Though if you get the timing right you can double short dodge out of reach as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Helith posted:

Full roll is useful for enemies that do a quick double attack like wraiths and foglets and hags. The dodge only gets you away from the first attack leaving you open to the follow up. Roll gets you far enough way to avoid both. Though if you get the timing right you can double short dodge out of reach as well.

Spec into the red dodge ability that gives you iframes at 5/5 and it doesn't matter.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

Are you dodging (short sidestep) or rolling? I find spamming dodge and light attacks like you're doing the simplest and most effective method too. .dodge dodge hack hack hack repeat

I don't use the full roll often

Dodging. TBH I kinda forgot the commands to roll and haven't bothered to learn. I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah I figured all that out, but that’s just learning how to effectively win combat, not having your character be OP. It sounded like you were destroying stuff higher than your level in 2-3 hits, which sounds crazy based on my experience so far.

It must be a build thing then because I am. When I was 12 I stumbled on a place of power with tons of level 16 wraiths and as long as they were in my yrden they all died in 2-3 hits. I'm 14 now killing lvl 17 stuff in the same amount. There's a lvl 19 golem/cyclops thing that's one shot smashing me so I haven't tried that yet.

Edit: the wraith incident was when I wasn't playing highest difficulty, but now I am and stuff hasn't really changed.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflixs-the-witcher-is-so-popular-the-original-book-s-1841024520

Hopefully this means book prices drop a little if scarcity was a problem.

Someone mentioned the show doesn’t have a license for the game stories. Can’t imagine they won’t get that done if the show lasts long enough. I kinda doubt it will. Netflix doesn’t really do long running series.

Do the books have a satisfying conclusion on their own? I’d love to see the show end with B&W’s story.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Do the books have a satisfying conclusion on their own? I’d love to see the show end with B&W’s story.

I would think the end of the books would be pretty obvious from the games?

Geralt and Yen die, Ciri teleports them to that magical island and leaves them.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

I would think the end of the books would be pretty obvious from the games?

Geralt and Yen die, Ciri teleports them to that magical island and leaves them.

I’ve only played 3.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ve only played 3.

Its discussed in 3, somewhere in the dialog tree when Geralt meets Ciri and you're sitting around the fire.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Also you can have a chat with Yen about your time in the Hunt and what you both remember.
There are lots of references to pitchforks as a weapon too.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Geralt can also describe it to the dream-mancer in Novigrad.

E: Corinne Tully the "oneiromancer".

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A short and spoilery time line of what happened in the games canon after the books end.

Books Geralt takes a pitchfork to the gut during a race riot. Yennefer tries to heal him but is unable to and the effort kills her too. Ciri uses her power to take them to the Isle of Apples (Avalon).

Games Geralt and Yen are 'alive' on Avalon, the Hunt finds them and take Yennefer to use her as bait to get Ciri. Geralt leaves the Isle to follow them and meets up with Letho and the other Viper witchers along the way. They track the Hunt to the Hanged Man's Tree and fight them but are unable to win. Geralt offers himself in exchange for Yennefer and Eredin agrees.
Yennefer goes with Letho and co until they are captured by Nilfgaard and taken to Emhyr.
Geralt rides with the Hunt until Ciri rescues him and leaves him in the woods outside Kaer Morhen. This is what puts the Hunt back on her trail

Witcher 1 begins.

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 16, 2020

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I’m playing with a custom XP mod this time, which smooths out the XP curve and makes leveling a bit slower (good for my completionist rear end). So far it seems pretty promising — I’ve finished pretty much every low level quest in Velen and I just hit level 10. In vanilla I would be level 13 I believe.

But we’ll see how it pans out through the whole game. Hopefully I won’t overlevel so many quests this time.

Smol fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 16, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Helith posted:

A short and spoilery time line of what happened in the games canon after the books end.

Books Geralt takes a pitchfork to the gut during a race riot. Yennefer tries to heal him but is unable to and the effort kills her too. Ciri uses her power to take them to the Isle of Apples (Avalon).

Games Geralt and Yen are 'alive' on Avalon, the Hunt finds them and take Yennefer to use her as bait to get Ciri. Geralt leaves the Isle to follow them and meets up with Letho and the other Viper witchers along the way. They track the Hunt to the Hanged Man's Tree and fight them but are unable to win. Geralt offers himself in exchange for Yennefer and Eredin agrees.
Yennefer goes with Letho and co until they are captured by Nilfgaard and taken to Emhyr.
Geralt rides with the Hunt until Ciri rescues him and leaves him in the woods outside Kaer Morhen. This is what puts the Hunt back on her trail

Witcher 1 begins.

if i remember correctly, sapkowski did say in an interview that that geralt and yenn are alive and happy on avalon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean, it's Avalon. You don't die when you go there, you just chill until England's need is greatest and then you make your triumphant return.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean, it's Avalon. You don't die when you go there, you just chill until England's need is greatest and then you make your triumphant return.

Or until a horde of space elves kidnaps you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Isle of Avalon, are the Isles of Avalon and Isle of Avallach supposed to be interchangeable terms? Because I've heard both names used to name the place Ciri took Geralt and Yen where they could bang under and apple tree while time stood still, or something.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Its discussed in 3, somewhere in the dialog tree when Geralt meets Ciri and you're sitting around the fire.

Okay. I didn't understand the context or know that's where the books ended.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Isle of Avalon, are the Isles of Avalon and Isle of Avallach supposed to be interchangeable terms? Because I've heard both names used to name the place Ciri took Geralt and Yen where they could bang under and apple tree while time stood still, or something.

Yeah, both refer to the same thing. Its just an unfortunate translation oversight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Avallach is polish for Avalon. Makes sense Ciri dumped them there right before she went off to explore King Arthur world.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Avallach is polish for Avalon. Makes sense Ciri dumped them there right before she went off to explore King Arthur world.

Ah ok, so they really are the same. And was the isle named after Avallach, or did he create it, or is it a coincidence in naming. I don't remember if this came up explicitly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
More a coincidence, but certainly intentional considering Sapkowski's affinity for European legends. Since the fifth book goes all into the multiverse angle it's probably divine providence that Avallach the elf shares a name with a location from the Arthurian legend considering Ciri ends up in the King Arthur dimension for a time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

More a coincidence, but certainly intentional considering Sapkowski's affinity for European legends. Since the fifth book goes all into the multiverse angle it's probably divine providence that Avallach the elf shares a name with a location from the Arthurian legend considering Ciri ends up in the King Arthur dimension for a time.

Gotcha. So it's related, but not in the sense that Avallach literally created a love island for Ciri to drop her parents off to. I need to re-read the books again. I've read them about 3 times through and there's little details I always forget and they're really good and easy reads.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I found a book in this game that was clearly a reference to twilight, is twilight now in-universe Witcher canon?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Colonel Whitey posted:

I found a book in this game that was clearly a reference to twilight, is twilight now in-universe Witcher canon?

Technically everything is/could be Witcher canon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Twilight, Winnie the Pooh, Macbeth and Calvin and Hobbes are all canon to The Witcher games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As are Batman and of course Cyberpunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Technically everything is/could be Witcher canon.

The next game should be “Ciri aimlessly teleports”