Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Patrocclesiastes posted:

I use a backpack...

Though an underbone with a crate would be a nice citybike

same. I run a kriega 15L backpack for commuting during the week in case I need to run small errands after work. panniers and top box are for weekend camping though

looking forward to whenever mosko comes out with their backpacks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

More like the "oh it's a beautiful day it would be awesome to ride my bike to work/go run up the long way to the store instead of taking the car" of motorcycling.

Like, I get if you just run local rodes for fun on nice days, track, or haul your dirtbike to the trail. But if you have stuff to carry in your daily life, there is nothing in the world like having a place to put it.

It means you can focus on enjoying riding, and forget about the stuff you brought.

Edit: Modular flip up helmets are the new balance shoes or motorcycling.

You guys are hovering near the truth: nc700's are the new balance of bikes. Flip face helmet and goony top box are a side effect, like the little white socks and bum bag to go with the shoes.

Me: why did you buy this bike?

Everyone I've ever met with an nc700: is just so comfortable...i like it...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If you wear jogging pants in public you are ready for biek luggage. You've given up, embrace the slow slide into oblivion.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I’m a dad, ride a dad bike and generally do dad stuff, so why not embrace the dadbiek aesthetic and go whole hog with luggage, hi-viz aerostitch and flip up helmet?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

I’m a dad, ride a dad bike and generally do dad stuff, so why not embrace the dadbiek aesthetic and go whole hog with luggage, hi-viz aerostitch and flip up helmet?

I'm a bike mechanic, I work from home and generally do bike mechanic stuff, why not embrace the aesthetic and go whole hog with a mullet, denim cutoffs and a box of Cody's?

Dignity. The answer to both questions is dignity.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Patrocclesiastes posted:

I use a backpack...

Though an underbone with a crate would be a nice citybike

:cool:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Ridden home with many a frozen pizza in my lap on the scoot. Kind of annoying it's like the only grocery related thing I buy regularly that won't fit under the seat.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Arson Daily posted:

doit. After hauling tons of inappropriate poo poo on small dualsports and sportbikes, dadbikes fuckin rule.

Being able to haul more than a SF apartment does have merit.

Gorson posted:

If you wear jogging pants in public you are ready for biek luggage. You've given up, embrace the slow slide into oblivion.

^^^^ this.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I'm a bike mechanic, I work from home and generally do bike mechanic stuff, why not embrace the aesthetic and go whole hog with a mullet, denim cutoffs and a box of Cody's?

Tbh this is how I've always pictured you except with a kiwi accent and a tear stained letter from the AU government denying you a visa stuffed in a flannel shirt pocket.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

CheddarGoblin posted:

Ridden home with many a frozen pizza in my lap on the scoot. Kind of annoying it's like the only grocery related thing I buy regularly that won't fit under the seat.

lol when camping at campsites I will often ride into town with my boxes still on. I can easily fit a six pack of tall boys plus several medium pizzas in my top box, which also keeps it warm til I get back to camp :D

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

I haven't given up enough to wear jogging pants but I can't seem to get anything done without bike luggage. Backpacks just hurt my back after a while which, yeah, I guess case in point: am old.

If modulars were statistically safer I'd probably wear one and never take it off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a Goldwing, live your best dadlife

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I have a 70L topcase that I keep a wadded up army surplus duffle in (has straps so can be worn as a backpack, or can be strapped down by the ROK straps I leave on the rear crashbars). Duffle has saved me a few times out shopping when my eyes were bigger than my topcase.

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Can conform: Ducatis get you lots of dudes. Dudecati.

Bikes in general are amazing old bloke magnets.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Tbh this is how I've always pictured you except with a kiwi accent and a tear stained letter from the AU government denying you a visa stuffed in a flannel shirt pocket.

NZ government*
Citizenship*
It's in my jeans pocket as I'm usually in t-shirts with bikes on them*

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You people are weirdos. It's just a place to put your stuff. You don't gotta make it a lifestyle, or desperately self deprecate yourselves until you can justify doing it.

It's like the "Well, I would have a motorcycle but the wife yaknow and also the kids and just you know wink wink nudge nudge" argument. No dude. I don't know why you can't be level headed about your own desires or lack thereof.

The only walls we have are the ones we build ourselves.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The most exotic stuff I've transported on my bikes is a Moccamaster coffee machine and a long garden hose on a wheeled roller. My brother has me beat there, he's had gas grills and propane tanks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It makes your bike look like boiled arse though?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've transported some cool things. 8 stools, a clothes rack from Ikea, two live lobsters and two bottles of Champagne. Not all at once, sadly.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Brought two (empty) kegs back one at a time from the local tip shop on my CB125e a few years ago.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

It annoys me that givi made this really ugly and cheap looking case and everyone else just decided to copy them. It's a terrible aesthetic design, to me. Pelican cases look dope on a bike, in contrast.

The givi's look good on some bikes, depending on the design, such as that white 125 up there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I've transported some cool things. 8 stools, a clothes rack from Ikea, two live lobsters and two bottles of Champagne. Not all at once, sadly.

I haven't done the lobsters, but I have done Ikea (it's amazing what you can strap down with one of those blue tarpaulin bags and bungee nets), assorted booze, and an espresso machine. (that was all on a bike that didn't have a top box)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought that was a full keg at first and was thinking you're a madman

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My favorite bike haul was tires. Just wore them around my waist

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I once shoved a box of frozen white castle burgers into my jacket for the ride home. it didn't zip up all the way but they didn't fall out either.

the most shameful part of that was, of course, purchasing and eating frozen white castle burgers

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My finest achievements were a three-drawer metal filing cabinet and a 21" trinitron (not, thankfully, at the same time) on the back of an RS125. With enough bungees anything is possible.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My finest achievements were a three-drawer metal filing cabinet and a 21" trinitron (not, thankfully, at the same time) on the back of an RS125. With enough bungees anything is possible.

This is the most incredible thing I've ever read. Please tell me there are pictures of either event.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does putting my huge powerlifter friend on the pillon seat count? We were 50lbs over the max weight for the bike, and not surprisingly it felt like poo poo to ride

Although seeing people ride around in Vietnam, it turns out weight limits really aren't that important

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Indeed it's like the lower the weight limit, the more irrelevant it is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

This is the most incredible thing I've ever read. Please tell me there are pictures of either event.

Alas it was in the days before mobile phone cameras. Mind you in those days I didn't even think it was that remarkable, because I was always putting weird poo poo on the back of the bike.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buy a Goldwing, live your best dadlife

Y’all don’t even know how right this man is.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I have a 70L topcase that I keep a wadded up army surplus duffle in (has straps so can be worn as a backpack, or can be strapped down by the ROK straps I leave on the rear crashbars). Duffle has saved me a few times out shopping when my eyes were bigger than my topcase.

I'm 60L in the back and 40L each side, owns for touring or just buying a buttload of TP at once.

Slavvy posted:

I wanna ride it not do a sexy photoshoot with it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The one thing I hate are side bags. They just get in the way of everything and make it more of a pain than it should be to squeeze past things. They're ugly and don't tend to hold anything useful either. A decently proportioned removable Givi top box is a decent compromise to practicality, but I wouldn't put one on a bike I bought for the sole purpose of riding slowly past shop windows to check out my reflection.

In researching this post I found the following relevant horror:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The busa is actually a fantastic touring bike, but yeah, it’s aesthetics don’t lend themselves to luggage

If it was me, I’d get a B-King and put a top box on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would like to retract my previous statement about my best and biggest bike carry being tires. My biggest carry was a top box chock full of tools, a camera bag and a gas can on the rear rack of my RV-90. I then drove that Death Stranding-esque load of stuff from Milwaukee to Chicago with two 50cc Yamaha Jogs along for the ride.

The top box was heavy as poo poo because it had some spares for the RV in it (although none of the spares I’d wind up needing) and a ton of tools and supplies to work on both the RV and the Jogs. I’d estimate it was at least 30+ lbs. Then on top of that there was the camera bag with the camera body, a couple lenses, a tripod and some strobes. Another 20lbs. Brought because, as you can see, cell phone cameras weren’t great at the time.

I also had the gas can on the RV but it was eventually moved to one of the Jogs because it flopped around way too much and slowly dripped gas because of it. So that was another however much a gallon of gas weighs.

All on a rack that Suzuki says should not be used for more than 15lbs

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

this was my favorite carry on my way back through WA coming from banff. had to make the biggest fire possible on the last night :D

top boxes look so odd without side panniers

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

How big are those?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like the idea of saddlebags for doing a weekend cottage trip without a backpack.

Kawasaki doesn't seem to sell them on their site for my bike though, I'd probably have to go through a dealer to get them ordered. And right now I just want to focus on being ON the bike, not doing stuff TO the bike :q:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

How big are those?

42L for the top and left panniers and I believe 37L for the right case? could be a little smaller since it has a bit removed for the exhaust

e: the revised ones (that fit the keyless fob) have less capacity (36L & 30L iirc), but are the same overall size. I prefer these though since they're cheaper, bigger, and look better compared to the newer ones. gotta use your spare key to lock / remove them from the bike though

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

The one thing I hate are side bags. They just get in the way of everything and make it more of a pain than it should be to squeeze past things. They're ugly and don't tend to hold anything useful either. A decently proportioned removable Givi top box is a decent compromise to practicality, but I wouldn't put one on a bike I bought for the sole purpose of riding slowly past shop windows to check out my reflection.

Those are the (very appropriately named, in this case) Corbin Beetle Bags. I didn't think a Busa could get any uglier, but here we are.

Agree that if you have to choose between top and side cases, get the top case, since it doesn't make the bike 4 feet wide and generally offers far more storage. Plus you can't put a cooked pizza or plate of hot food in a side case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Finger Prince posted:

Had to.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All on a rack that Suzuki says should not be used for more than 15lbs

You can only get away with ignoring weight limits for so long, the rack on my old XR eventually had a weld break.

To be fair, it was only rated for 3kgs and I abused it on a regular basis, wasn't even mad when it happened.

Martytoof posted:

I like the idea of saddlebags for doing a weekend cottage trip without a backpack.

Kawasaki doesn't seem to sell them on their site for my bike though, I'd probably have to go through a dealer to get them ordered. And right now I just want to focus on being ON the bike, not doing stuff TO the bike :q:

There are plenty of third party options out there. I've got a set of throw-over Ortlieb saddlebags I've been using for like 8 years that are great. (Unfortunately they restructured a few years ago and dropped their motorcycle line, but there are plenty of other manufacturers out there).

Here is the KLR loaded down for a recent camping trip. I bought a cheap PVC roll-top drybag from Thirdgear (Aussie company that sells a bunch of Chinese stuff) which seems surprisingly well made, though I've not tested the waterproofness yet.

This was definitely overkill, but it does let me be a bit precious and carry both a yoga mat and Thermarest, which I find helps a lot with comfort (and peace of mind of the mat getting a puncture). I also tossed in a full-sized pillow for good measure. I pretty much look for any excuse to pack a duffle and sling it across the passenger seat - is really nice to have something to rest my lower back against on longer rides.