Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1217864280126775297?s=19

A little late, but this is kind of why the Bernie/Warren/Biden-or-die people are drat near impossible to figure out and aren't necessarily worth worrying about. It's non-ideological a lot of times.

That persons vote is worth more than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
That lady is a great argument for the complete denuclearization of our military and planet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

Wouldn't this also set up a situation where you could potentially "buy" votes with a 'wink wink' payment of penalties?

Unlikely, because the cost would be about 100 times the average cost per vote from the last presidential election.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

joat mon posted:

Unlikely, because the cost would be about 100 times the average cost per vote from the last presidential election.

Im just curious what the math works out to be, because being able to buy FL in a national election is huge.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bad Poster posted:

So what you're telling me is that a lot of Americans people are ignorant morons. What news this is.

Edit: they should hold all of the primaries on the same day. The approach they have of staggering it is only damaging to democracy, as broken as the whole primary system is.

B-b-but Iowan tears...

Lol.

I do agree that there should just be a national primary day though.

fknlo posted:

That persons vote is worth more than mine.

Move to Wyoming.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1217870524832874497

Neat... Hopefully this fizzles out and it's not the tip of an iceberg of crazy. I am so glad I don't have to be downtown on Monday

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

B-b-but Iowan tears...

Lol.

I do agree that there should just be a national primary day though.

Move to Wyoming.

What are they going to do? Not vote at all? That'll help them. Or they'll all switch parties because the other side will go "oh we will give you your own special voting day and also an ice cream cake and a $10 off coupon to Cedar Point!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Best Friends posted:

They are genuinely horny to live in a right wing dictatorship. So horny that they are willing to pretend Trump of all people is a genius God-King.

It's this and anyone who says different is flat loving wrong

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1217864280126775297?s=19

A little late, but this is kind of why the Bernie/Warren/Biden-or-die people are drat near impossible to figure out and aren't necessarily worth worrying about. It's non-ideological a lot of times.

I hate all you pretentious elites telling me how to vote based on my best interests

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bad Poster posted:

What are they going to do? Not vote at all? That'll help them. Or they'll all switch parties because the other side will go "oh we will give you your own special voting day and also an ice cream cake and a $10 off coupon to Cedar Point!"

Frankly I don't care what they do.

Make it a federal law that the first tuesday of May is primary day for all parties. Six months before the election go shake all the bullshit out and pick your pawns. Also make it (and election day) a holiday and mail out ballots prior so people can research candidates for poo poo they didn't realize was up for election.

Or just... burn it all down? Yeah, that feels like the right answer here, no coupon to a third rate theme park required when you bring a mob.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

"All terms of their sentence" is in what was voted on.

Term means time. Conditions of sentence are fines. This is 100% a republican supreme court ensuring that felons are not granted the franchise.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

A Bad Poster posted:

I think the intent of it was that being a convicted criminal does not take away your right to vote. Really nothing should aside from being incapable mentally, or denouncing citizenship. They include people in prisons on the census.

People who are court ordered (either through family court, or criminal court) to be in inpatient psychiatric centers are allowed to vote.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

The implementation is BS no matter what because, demographically, prison is made up of people who are least likely to be able to pay the exorbitant penalties imposed along with legal defense. This is a poll tax because it will disproportionately affect a disadvantaged section of the population.

If bloomberg really wanted to shake things up, I know what he could spend money on. But he doesn't.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EBB posted:

The implementation is BS no matter what because, demographically, prison is made up of people who are least likely to be able to pay the exorbitant penalties imposed along with legal defense. This is a poll tax because it will disproportionately affect a disadvantaged section of the population.

The policy is inherently classist regardless of implementation, but as implemented it also has a bonus of being grossly racist given current criminal justice outcomes.

Criminal financial penalties shouldn't exist period except as a percentage of wealth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, in florida if you are unable to pay fines/fees they are often converted to civil judgments. These will have to be paid to regain the franchise. They wouldn’t be converted if someone had the ability to pay them, so a significant number of felons will continue to be disenfranchised.

I would hope that the SCOTUS would hear the case, but I doubt they do or overturn it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just want to blanket state that I think disenfranchisement is bullshit.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I’m OK with currently incarcerated people not being allowed to vote as part of their punishment, but it absolutely should not be disallowed post-release. Also the census needs to count prisoners in their actual home area and not where the prison is located for the purposes of determining representation.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 16, 2020

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Frankly I don't care what they do.

Make it a federal law that the first tuesday of May is primary day for all parties. Six months before the election go shake all the bullshit out and pick your pawns. Also make it (and election day) a holiday and mail out ballots prior so people can research candidates for poo poo they didn't realize was up for election.

Or just... burn it all down? Yeah, that feels like the right answer here, no coupon to a third rate theme park required when you bring a mob.

Not sure how making it a holiday helps as the people who work the lowest paying jobs are the least likely to have Federal Holidays off.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, in florida if you are unable to pay fines/fees they are often converted to civil judgments. These will have to be paid to regain the franchise. They wouldn’t be converted if someone had the ability to pay them, so a significant number of felons will continue to be disenfranchised.

I would hope that the SCOTUS would hear the case, but I doubt they do or overturn it.

Don't forget the 30-40% increase for converting to civil. I doubt SCOTUS has jurisdiction, as a practical matter.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SimonCat posted:

Not sure how making it a holiday helps as the people who work the lowest paying jobs are the least likely to have Federal Holidays off.

I'd rather have the day off for voting than because of some assholes' saviors' made up birthday.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

It'll still help some people. People that work for some local, county, or state governments can be allowed to take either 1 hour or 2 hours off of the workday to vote. Also, depending on if a person has a union job or not, they might be able to get time and a half for working that day if they're forced to work and can't take off because their job is deemed essential.

It would also help out teachers immensely.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'd rather have the day off for voting than because of some assholes' saviors' made up birthday.

The only holidays I know of that really cause stores to close down are Thanksgiving and Christmas. Beyond that the only way I notice is that the Post Office isn't open.

It's like when HW Bush died and a holiday was declared. The only people who really could take advantage of it were Federal workers.

My solution is to make early voting easier. Why should it have to be centered around on specific calendar day when you can send in the your vote either by mail or electronically?

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 16, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
more early voting, more polling places, more mail in

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Flying_Crab posted:

I’m OK with currently incarcerated people not being allowed to vote as part of their punishment, but it absolutely should not be disallowed post-release. Also the census needs to count prisoners in their actual home area and not whether the prison is located for the purposes of determining representation.

Eh, I don't like the idea of murderers being able to vote but if there are enough people in jail to swing an election then your society has bigger problems

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Eh, I don't like the idea of murderers being able to vote but if there are enough people in jail to swing an election then your society has bigger problems

Hey guess what

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Official election holiday, but it's called trump day

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ok, but only if its more like Guy Fawkes day and we burn him in effigy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

A Bad Poster posted:

Hey guess what

Yeah also never forget that prisoners are counted apportionment and districting purposes which results in districts where there's a representative representing thousands of people but elected by only the 50-100 prison guards who live nearby.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1217909231946477575

I can just picture him yelling at anyone in his near area about this, adding some dumb, stupid shi-

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1217907254688657414

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Whole lot of empty space just like his brain.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mr president please stop touching yourself in front of the children

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

joat mon posted:

Still would be a better use of Bloomberg/Steyer's money than a vanity presidential run if they really wanted Trump to lose. Is paying off somebody's fines tax deductible?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is a charity to help Floridians regain their voting rights by paying off fines and court fees.

Court Fees are 100% not part of a sentencing, but oh well.

https://connect.clickandpledge.com/Organization/frcceducationfund/campaign/amendment4fund/Donation/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1217909231946477575

I can just picture him yelling at anyone in his near area about this, adding some dumb, stupid shi-

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1217907254688657414

He's too stupid to realize just how embarrassing he is

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I.. what? Does he think that because they're adjourned until tuesday that they've already ruled him guilty?

The loving brain worms on this moron of ours would be impressive if he was only in charge of a tonka toy set.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a guilty verdict today.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

I’m OK with currently incarcerated people not being allowed to vote as part of their punishment, but it absolutely should not be disallowed post-release. Also the census needs to count prisoners in their actual home area and not where the prison is located for the purposes of determining representation.

Why would you be ok with that knowing the huge racial disparities in our system? Minorities are more likely to be arrested for the same crimes, more likely to be charged for the same arrests, more likely to be convicted for the same charges, and more likely to get longer sentences for the same convictions. Disenfranchising incarcerated people is racial disenfranchisement in the US.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder that possession >20g of marijuana in the state of Florida is a felony. People are obligated to pay public defender fees and other court fees before they can get their right to vote restored. Fees are not and have never been a part of a sentence before this.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why would you be ok with that knowing the huge racial disparities in our system? Minorities are more likely to be arrested for the same crimes, more likely to be charged for the same arrests, more likely to be convicted for the same charges, and more likely to get longer sentences for the same convictions. Disenfranchising incarcerated people is racial disenfranchisement in the US.

That’s a great point. That’s kind of where I was going with prisoners needing to be counted in their home area for census/redistricting purposes, although that doesn’t really help with statewide elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DeSantis did...something good? :confused:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-everglades-oil-drilling-buy-20200115-aefh3yaq6rcrdaekhpjclnszry-story.html

There was probably no money in it for him