Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

I've had heard about that news before, but at this point I had forgotten which company was associated to, lol.

Goddamn that's all news to me :suspense:. Their articles are often trash anyway, if you compare them with anything RoadtoVR covers their version often comes off as sensationalist crap that doesn't get past a surface read. Or goes for clicks with "Is this good/bad??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So, I see separate trackers being advertised for limb tracking in rec room or shooters or whatever.

Is there a reason you couldn't use Kinect tracking to build a skeleton and just overlay the head and arms onto the Vive tracking? Or is syncing up the skeleton with the vive tracking computationally difficult or something?

Obviously you'd need a kinect and the windows USB adapter gizmo but that's like the cost of one tracker accessory unit

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 16, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can, there's a SteamVR driver that works with the Kinect. It just kind of sucks becuase the Kinect tracking space is much more limited than Lighthouse, it pretty much only works when you're standing directly in front of and facing the sensor

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
who the hell would want to bang on the tech-dork communal fuckbed

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Origami Dali posted:

brogrammers are the loving worst man

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

What the gently caress?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The weirdest part to me is that UploadVR has multiple offices and a bunch of money.

I had just assumed that site was run by a few nerds in their spare time. It doesn't come across as a well-funded thing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
something I don't think has been mentioned that is the author of the article the Pimax guy is so mad at is David Heany, who was hired after being one of the most notorious pro-oculus trolls around, like knifegrab x1000 bad - so there is for sure preexisting bad blood

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

You can, there's a SteamVR driver that works with the Kinect. It just kind of sucks becuase the Kinect tracking space is much more limited than Lighthouse, it pretty much only works when you're standing directly in front of and facing the sensor

I've seen people use Kinect for full-body tracking in VRChat and it's funny as hell to watch as someone crumples up or inverts randomly when the Kinect parses them incorrectly. Happens with Trackers too sometimes, but generally fixes itself.

Has anyone tried hacking a pair of Kinects to work together for better tracking fidelity?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Origami Dali posted:

the sex room was probably more of a tool to use as an explicit threat to extort subordinates to get what you want

who, aside from rapist assholes, would even come up with that poo poo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
E: take a shot for everytime I write "in the game" like a 2000's EA and and watch your liver shrivel up

Completed Boneworks with a playtime of 15 hours from assorted resets/exploration/dicking around and here are my thoughts

As I've mentioned before, Boneworks strength very much lies in throwing away conventions of comfort and precision in favour of an all-in physics approach. This is confusing at first, impressive for most of the game when you have a handle on things, but it can be consistently irritating through the course of the game to have your limbs get caught up on scenery or fumble with your inventory under pressure. I'd say it succeeds in a lot of ways, but as someone who's spent a ton of time in Blade and Sorcery it probably feels less impressive than those who haven't.

Melee is something that never felt quite satisfying in this game. It does well with the physically reactive enemies, being able to shove, grab and displace them however you feel is fun, but a lot of the time the two handed weapons feel clunky and unsatisfying. Knives are good, stabbing physics feel nice, but slashing with edged weapons feels like an exercise in futility.

Guns are consistently great and the highlight of the game. They feel solid to use, there's enough physics dampening etc to prevent controller vibration/drift etc from impacting the gunplay and they can be held in a variety of ways. Reload mechanics are good for what the game needs, on par with most decent shooters: Arcadey enough to feel fast, complex enough to feel rewarding.

Physics puzzles are pretty drat fun and have enough variety to be interesting without overstaying their welcome. Personally I found trying out different ways to break them completely through stacking things and climbing around to be a highlight of the games interactivity and learning tricks like shooting levers way before you're supposed to reach them made me feel good things. They never got convoluted enough to bother me and as someone with little patience for this sort of thing that's pretty high praise.

Enemy variety is poor but you're given enough interesting arenas and scenarios to make this less of a problem. Initially the game seems to be going somewhere interesting with the plot but it descends into confusing chaos pretty quickly and has no real payoff. Some beautiful environments though and some interesting environmental storytelling which again doesn't really amount of much. There are some fun set pieces though that do things I haven't seen in VR before, which is applaudable.

A major complaint I have is the awful, awful holstering system. Small guns positioned all the way up in your armpits messes with my VR muscle memory something rotten and even when adjusting to it, the clackity-clack of guns falling to the floor from missed holsters during and after every battle became this games theme tune. They need a B&S style "this is what the holster is holding, this holster is full" prompt for standing users because Christ, I shouldn't be dreading something as simple as putting my guns away.

Towards the end of the game there's some physics toys and equipment that did truly impress me, specifically the grip gauntlets. Holy crap, climbing up any surface and being able to hock heavy objects over your head was empowering as hell.

That said, I did have a fun time with it and the flexibility of the physics and what it allows means the interactions you can have with the game can be incredibly unique. People have compared this to Trespasser in a positive way and I have to concur wholeheartedly as someone who's played that game a few times now out of morbid curiosity: Boneworks truly shoots for the moon and succeeds more often than it fails, but it's dragged down a bit by the mechanics you'd expect it to have mastered by this point.

I might put through a playthrough or at least a compilation of some of the crazier combat possibilities available. Slamming a chest door on a Nullbody's head until they died was a highlight in terms of "gently caress yeah, I can do this?!" interaction. If I was to rate the game it'd probably be an 8/10.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 16, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wish we'd gotten more to do with things like the gravity gun/staff and the clamps in Boneworks because you could legit make an entire game around those on their own.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was kind of disappointing that you don't get the magnet gauntlets and gravity gun until like literally the last 10 minutes of the game. I get that they are a bit game-breaking in that you can now just wreck everything and fling things around at a million mph and so takes some of the challenge out of the game, but it really felt like when you got those things that there would now be a good chunk of the game centering on them but nope, climb this building, then BOOM credits.

Overall, Boneworks was very enjoyable for me. If you have fond memories of Half-Life and Portal, and who doesn't, then the mood, setting, and aesthetics should be right up your alley. That's where the comparisons end though from a story point, as the game starts out strong and intriguing, and sort of craps out story-wise by the end in favor of MORE PHYSICS TOYS FOR THE PHYSICS GOD (I am the physics god in this scenario).

On that note, it was really all the little things that made this game for me. Discovering for the first time that I could open the lockers by yanking on them with a crowbar was a very simple thing conceptually, and seems unimportant, but discovering it and finding that it works EXACTLY like you expect it to is something weirdly missing from a lot of VR titles. Grabbing melee weapons with only your index finger and thumb, and then using the gun barrel to slide the weapon up in your hand is a mindblowing experience when you first discover it. Like I said, its the little things

I think the shooting is probably the best I've ever experienced in VR. The ironsights and the ACOG and scoped weapons behave and work exactly how you'd expect. It was a great feeling to line up headshots from across a room and pull them off. Conversely, when I would miss shots, I usually felt like it was my own doing that made me miss, either being too hasty or just not lining up the shot properly to start with.

I agree that the ammo and inventory management need more work. I'm left-handed, so I held all the guns in my left hand, which had me reaching across my waist to get ammo. I got used to it, but it would be nice to just have a toggle option for where you want your ammo fannypack to live. Also, with inventory, the only slots I could get to reliably work were the over the shoulder slots. The underarm slots worked about 50% of the time for me, and the hip slot almost never worked. I feel like the hip and underarm slots could use bigger hitboxes to detect when you're trying to put something there.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game and I'll be going back through to try to get the ammo cheevos and unlock stuff for the sandbox mode. I'm also looking forward to seeing what further updates bring to the game.

In conclusion, WHATUP SON

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the shooting is probably the best I've ever experienced in VR. The ironsights and the ACOG and scoped weapons behave and work exactly how you'd expect. It was a great feeling to line up headshots from across a room and pull them off. Conversely, when I would miss shots, I usually felt like it was my own doing that made me miss, either being too hasty or just not lining up the shot properly to start with.

I agree that the ammo and inventory management need more work. I'm left-handed, so I held all the guns in my left hand, which had me reaching across my waist to get ammo. I got used to it, but it would be nice to just have a toggle option for where you want your ammo fannypack to live. Also, with inventory, the only slots I could get to reliably work were the over the shoulder slots. The underarm slots worked about 50% of the time for me, and the hip slot almost never worked. I feel like the hip and underarm slots could use bigger hitboxes to detect when you're trying to put something there.

I swear I saw an option in the menu to swap sides for your ammo pack in the settings somewhere. Also try treating the small-weapon slots like you're pulling a gun out of a shoulder holster like in an action film rather than something near your hip. The sweet spot, for me at least, is slightly below your armpit. There's also a patch-added slot at the small of your back for melee weapons and random items.

As for the shooting, you really should give H3VR another try, because the shooting's even better. It's got a steep learning curve, there's no denying that, but it's really rewarding once you get the game down pat and the Sampler Platter goes a long way to teaching you the basics.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got used to it, but it would be nice to just have a toggle option for where you want your ammo fannypack to live

To the game's credit I believe there's an option for this on the main menu, I'm not at my PC so I can't check at the moment but I'm sure it's the case

Conversely I didn't know there was a hip slot to holster on so I guess we're all learning today :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh of course, after I played through the entire campaign with it on the wrong side lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone with a Vive using the Skywin 3-in-1 Flat HTC Vive Compatible Cable instead of the official? The cable on my vive's starting to get a little touchy, and this seems like an ideal replacement going by the reviews on Amazon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whyyyyyyyy are there no aftermarket Rift CV1 cables?

:cry:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
They made "what if beat saber but with guns" but no one will make the game that deserves to be made "what if beat saber with whips"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*thinking for one nanosecond about the first mod that would get made for that game in our current Hellworld*

nah..............ill pass

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*thinking for one nanosecond about the first mod that would get made for that game in our current Hellworld*

nah..............ill pass

What's wrong with Devo? :confused:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

They made "what if beat saber but with guns" but no one will make the game that deserves to be made "what if beat saber with whips"

Do any VR games have whips? NES Castlevania was relatively slow paced and would probably make a sweet transition to whipping at flying Medusa heads.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally, a game where I can be whipped by Ivy in VR.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whyyyyyyyy are there no aftermarket Rift CV1 cables?

:cry:

There is always going wireless with TPCast: https://www.amazon.com/TPCast-Wireless-adapter-Oculus-Black-Windows/dp/B077D9NS3V

One downside tho is it narrows the FOV a tiny bit. But not enough to detract from wireless.

But its a pretty quick way to almost double the amount you have invested in a CV1.

I have one, got it set up, and then Index showed up. Its a battle every time I want to play VR whether I want to go wireless or have better picture quality.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually played VR with a haptic feedback suit on yesterday. It's possible!

(I got shot a lot, it felt weird)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My Link cable just shipped :toot:

Y'all got me psyched for seeing how Boneworks goes with that thing, I tell you what.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Syves posted:

I have one, got it set up, and then Index showed up.
Is wireless likely to be an option with the index in the foreseeable future, or are these systems just pushing too many pixels too fast now for that to work?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Finally, a game where I can be whipped by Ivy in VR.

I don't think I'm limber enough for Voldo VR

Edit: pelvic thrust trackers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Do any VR games have whips? NES Castlevania was relatively slow paced and would probably make a sweet transition to whipping at flying Medusa heads.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/751380/Sacred_Four/

It's an amateur game that's fairly mediocre (not bad though compared to other VR games) but it's whip physics are fairly interesting.
It's not the kind of game you'd be playing a lot but it's worth spending a hour on as a neat curio.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

Is wireless likely to be an option with the index in the foreseeable future, or are these systems just pushing too many pixels too fast now for that to work?

Dunno. Probably. But thats the reason why they had to reduce the FOV on the Rift for wireless from my understanding. Had to limit the # of bits to push to a reasonable amount. I think there was some discussion about this way earlier in the thread. Someone had some actual numbers about it, and it was pushing the limits of the available communication channels.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

from what HTC have said about the Wireless Adapter that's currently out for the vive/vpro, it has a ton of bandwidth headroom that they don't even need yet - according to Intel their wigig can support up to 4.6 Gbps/half a GB. I would assume with compression you'd be able to use an index with something similar eventually.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I know this thread is mainly for big boy VR gear but I brought my Gear on vacation (meditation apps were great in-flight even if I probably looked like a dipshit.) I can't seem to get the store to work right and update tho. Tried reinstalling the Gear app. Unless ths price is right I want to get the "plane dropping out of the sky" experience in Face Your Fears to do during the flight home

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Do any VR games have whips?

This needs to be rectified ASAP!

More VR games need stuff like that. I was kinda disappointed that almost every prop in Boneworks was a single rigidbody. I was screwing around with the cloth physics in Source 2, and even a small bit of stuff flopping around feels like it has a huge impact in VR.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/729190/KRAKEN/

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zero VGS posted:

One of the quests in Rec Room has a castlevania whip. It’s pretty basic, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whip aside, the castlevania rec room quest is real fuckin good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there anything similar to Skyrim for VR? Been having a blast sniping bandits and shocking Jarls but I'm starting to get some end game fatigue. Is there like a dungeon crawler VR? Or hell, any total conversion mods that will work in Skyrim VR?

E: poo poo I'd take a Skyrim deep dungeon mod if the dungeons looked creative enough.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 16, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Leal posted:

Is there anything similar to Skyrim for VR? Been having a blast sniping bandits and shocking Jarls but I'm starting to get some end game fatigue. Is there like a dungeon crawler VR? Or hell, any total conversion mods that will work in Skyrim VR?

E: poo poo I'd take a Skyrim deep dungeon mod if the dungeons looked creative enough.

I've not played it, but Asgard's Wrath gets bandied about as a sort of "what if Skyrim was actually made for VR" game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Steam is chock full of dungeon VR games, but most of them aren't worth your time/money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Leal posted:

Rec Room adventure mini games - not joking. Some of the most fun adventure games I’ve found and its free.

Mage’s Tale is one of the best VR adventure games. Only 15 hours though.

There’s that Skyrim total conversion mod. Elswyr I think.