Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently they kept doing it until 1939 by switching the locomotive out at Barking, but I guess during post-war austerity it was easier to switch the passengers out.

They started using Q-stock electric multiple units rather than loco-hauled in 1938, so I'm willing to bet that's the actual difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ratjaculation posted:

If you ever go to a country where squat toilets are the norm, look on the seat of a western style-toilet for bootprints where the locals have overcome, adapted and thrived (and squatted)

I remember going to a gay club - predominantly male clientele - in north London about 25 years ago with a gay friend and the seats in the 'ladies' all had shoe prints on. I think it was called something like the Salmon and Cucumber?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Anyway is it illegal to project an image of a penis on a national monument, asking for a friend

Big Ben bong schlong shocker as baffled Boris blows beans up backside

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Guardian live feed is extremely salty about the inevitable momentum backing of rlb. Photo showing her beside corbs, saying turnout was low, and then the next post is about how starmer comes out top as a 'strong leader'

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember going to a gay club - predominantly male clientele - in north London about 25 years ago with a gay friend and the seats in the 'ladies' all had shoe prints on. I think it was called something like the Salmon and Cucumber?

With cream cheese i hope

E: and a squirt of lemon

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Borrovan posted:

Didn't Boris Johnson himself literally call a half-million quid salary for a part time job a "pittance", or "pocket money" or something? Or was it Gideon

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jul/13/boris-johnson-second-salary-chickenfeed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They started using Q-stock electric multiple units rather than loco-hauled in 1938, so I'm willing to bet that's the actual difference.
Would that be an issue? It sounds like it'd just remove one of the steps if the lines themselves aren't electrified.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Aramoro posted:

Was it even a question that Momentum would back the Continuity Corbyn Candidate?

Well, that's why I'm curious. We've got a third of the CorboThugForce here who voted against her. Forgot it was a pure approval ballot, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, that's why I'm curious. We've got a third of the CorboThugForce here who voted against her. Forgot it was a pure approval ballot, though.

Do the stats include percentage of the entire membership, or just percentage of those who voted? I coudln't be loving bothered to vote since it doesn't make any practial difference.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Found the best map of Britain in the maps thread :dong:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StarkingBarfish posted:

Guardian live feed is extremely salty about the inevitable momentum backing of rlb. Photo showing her beside corbs, saying turnout was low, and then the next post is about how starmer comes out top as a 'strong leader'

Yep! You see, Starmer is 'electable' (i.e. is acceptable to the political and media Establishment), while rlb is 'unelectable' (i.e. is not acceptable to the political and media Establishment). Therefore, a rlb victory will be proof of Labour's continuing disastrous lurch to the left and abandonment of even wanting to win an election and blah blah blah every huffy Guardian article for the next 5 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have to wonder why people have such strong feelings one way or another about the labour leadership candidates cos I know basically gently caress all about any of them.

What the hell makes starmer a "strong leader" he's not led anything yet.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Rarity if you need some help getting a new bit of electronic kit I don't mind pitching something to help!

I don't dislike Starmer but I do find it somewhat Churlish that everyone who complained about not having a woman leader is now going around saying that he is just fine and etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Would that be an issue? It sounds like it'd just remove one of the steps if the lines themselves aren't electrified.

You can't tow an EMU behind a loco at much more than walking speed unless you extensively modify the loco to work with the brake system, which used the (solidly attached to the axles) motors for the majority of the braking effort - the pneumatic brakes were generally only used in emergencies or for parking (plot up in the right place on a tube train and you can actually watch the pressure gauge under the seats over the front-right set of wheels (oriented to the depot) if that floats your boat - if you see it flicker on the way into the station that normally means the driver's overcooked it).

I don't know about the Q-Stock in particular, but I'm willing to bet that the electrics weren't that sophisticated, so you'd also have to do something with all the electricity being generated by spinning the motors even when not braking. Just dumping it to earth through the tracks almost certainly wouldn't be an option on a non-electrified line, especially as that might also be the signalling system earth and gently caress knows what dumping shitloads of current into it would do.

Obviously you probably could design something that could be used as just a trailer when needed, but that's a lot of extra complexity, weight, and potential points of failure just to save someone having to change platforms at Upminster or West Ham.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I have to wonder why people have such strong feelings one way or another about the labour leadership candidates cos I know basically gently caress all about any of them.

Nice hair, strong jaw, posh accent.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nice hair, strong jaw, posh accent.

Jaw I grant you.

I dunno all these loving weirdo libs who want to be daddy dommed by a strong leader weird me the hell out. If you're into that just put on the leather gear like a normal person. You don't need to enlist the entire apparatus of the state into fulfilling your wank fantasy.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Not sure if this has been posted yet

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/16/people-died-benefits-error

quote:

Five thousand people died before they could be reimbursed for a government error that left chronically ill and disabled benefit claimants thousands of pounds out of pocket, it has emerged.

Approximately 70,000 claimants were originally estimated to have been underpaid about £340m between 2011 and 2014, after being transferred from older benefits on to the employment and support allowance (ESA) during a government overhaul of incapacity benefits.

Figures released on Thursday, which showed 5,000 ill and disabled people died before receiving the money they were owed, were described as a “national scandal” by Marsha de Cordova, the Labour MP and disability rights campaigner.

The government has been conducting a review of cases potentially affected by the error, which arose when some people who were receiving incapacity benefit and severe disablement allowance had their claims converted to contributory ESA.

However, officials at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) failed to follow their own legal guidelines governing the transfer process, meaning that in many cases they failed to properly check claimants’ full entitlements. The review has been looking through 600,000 potential cases of those who missed out. Some 122,000 people have now been repaid £5,000 each on average, according to the new figures.

The ESA failure was overseen by the then Conservative former secretary of state for work and pensions, Iain Duncan Smith, who was in post for all but the last few months of the period covered by a damning public accounts committee (PAC) report. The current housing minister, Esther McVey, was a DWP minister between 2013 and 2015.

Evan Odell, a researcher at Disability Rights UK, said: “That 5,000 disabled people were denied the proper support to live independently before they died is scandalous, as is the 112,000 people who had had to wait years for these errors to be corrected.

“To make matters worse, the problems with the employment and support allowance system that have led to hundreds of millions of pounds of arrears payments are still present. Seventy-five per cent of ESA applicants who appeal DWP decisions to the social security tribunal win; this case is merely one more piece of evidence showing how ESA is not fit for purpose.”

Marsha de Cordova MP said: “It is a national scandal that a decade of delay has meant that 5,000 ill and disabled people have died before receiving the money that they were owed as a result of ESA underpayments.

“The government must now speedily complete the remaining reassessments for the thousands of people still waiting so that everyone who has lost out receives payment as quickly as possible.

“The Conservatives have consistently failed sick and disabled people. The continued delay in righting this wrong is disgraceful.”

The department said it has finished processing 97percent of potentially affected cases and so far around one percent of these have resulted in an arrears payment in respect of a claimant who has passed away.

A DWP spokesperson said: “We have worked hard to ensure that anyone affected by this issue receives the benefits they are entitled to, and in the minority of cases where a claimant has sadly died we have paid their next of kin.”

In 2018, a cross-party group of MPs criticised the DWP’s “culture of indifference” after it took six years to correct the error .

The cost of fixing the error, which the PAC report said stemmed from a string of avoidable management failures, was expected to cost the DWP at least £340m in back payments to claimants and £14m in administrative costs.

The figures showing that 5,000 of those affected date from 12 January 2020. The DWP expects them to change as staff continue to work on the exercise to check potentially affected cases.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

The loving brits are at it again man what is this.
I'm just trying to get over that people casually talk about the royal family over here and then they bring out big bong ben. I mean fair enough when Scottish people talk about clans and tartans it's annoying but oh my god, 2020 is already Mr Bones' Wild Ride.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Niric posted:

There's a lot to parse in this article, both good and bad, but I thought this was an interesting take even though there's an awful lot to disagree with. It seems to come from a Brexit & Blue Labour sympathetic position, so there's certainly plenty of arguable and downright infuriating assumptions and statements, but the account of centrism and its electoral failings in particular I thought was well made, and it's worth reading the whole thing to get a slightly different analysis that's critical of both liberal centrism and Corbyn-style leftism.

Gray doesn't quite say this, but when he's talking about the New Labour project I think he touches on something that really doesn't get mentioned at all by people harking back to Blair: the tactic of directly and explicitly bringing the professional middle classes into your project only works when they aren't already your core vote. Labour's electoral coalition, and electoral problems, are not the same in 2020 as they were in 1992 (or 1987, or 1983)

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/01/why-left-keeps-losing

I've said it before, but John Gray could save himself a lot of typing simply by writing: "Everyone in the world is stupid, except me :smug:" and leaving it at that. He does have flashes of insight but they're always buried under an avalanche of pompous, old-man: "This statement is true because I assert that it is" intellectual laziness.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This is now Tory policy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_r4ieUmG6c

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can't tow an EMU behind a loco at much more than walking speed unless you extensively modify the loco to work with the brake system, which used the (solidly attached to the axles) motors for the majority of the braking effort - the pneumatic brakes were generally only used in emergencies or for parking (plot up in the right place on a tube train and you can actually watch the pressure gauge under the seats over the front-right set of wheels (oriented to the depot) if that floats your boat - if you see it flicker on the way into the station that normally means the driver's overcooked it).

I don't know about the Q-Stock in particular, but I'm willing to bet that the electrics weren't that sophisticated, so you'd also have to do something with all the electricity being generated by spinning the motors even when not braking. Just dumping it to earth through the tracks almost certainly wouldn't be an option on a non-electrified line, especially as that might also be the signalling system earth and gently caress knows what dumping shitloads of current into it would do.

Obviously you probably could design something that could be used as just a trailer when needed, but that's a lot of extra complexity, weight, and potential points of failure just to save someone having to change platforms at Upminster or West Ham.
I'd bet money that they just used DC shunt wound motors with a reversing switch and a rheostatic brake load.

With those types of motors the rheostatic brakes only worked when the shunt is powered, which explains the pneumatic emergency backup, but when it's not powered at all it's just a spinning weight attached to the axle.

There might be a bit of electricity generated by residual magnetism, but so little that you could deal with it by just leaving all the switches open.

I think that's hit on a good reason not to use them off of electric rails though, they'd have no brakes other than the pneumatic system unless you packed an exciter on board. Nothing different to any other non-electric train but I can see why they might just phase out the service while everyone's distracted with the war thing.

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno all these loving weirdo libs who want to be daddy dommed by a strong leader weird me the hell out. If you're into that just put on the leather gear like a normal person. You don't need to enlist the entire apparatus of the state into fulfilling your wank fantasy.
They can't have a poo poo without getting a means testing department involved somehow, what makes you think their fetishes would be any less bureaucratic?

Wait is this

Guavanaut posted:

the one where Sonic uses a toilet wrong

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've said it before, but John Gray could save himself a lot of typing simply by writing: "Everyone in the world is stupid, except me :smug:" and leaving it at that. He does have flashes of insight but they're always buried under an avalanche of pompous, old-man: "This statement is true because I assert that it is" intellectual laziness.

It to be a broken record on this point, but the core assumption of the article is that Boris won the election by gaining millions of working class voters. If that was true, the rest of the article might be worth discussing.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

thespaceinvader posted:

The sycophancy is deeply disturbing, as is the open acceptance that loving 500 grand is something the coutnry couldn't just. Pay.

Like, 500 grand is the kind of money I personally could probably have accessed at one point, had I remained in full time work.

It's such a pittance they should be laughing him out of the room when he say we need to loving crowdfund it.

It's not about the money, or about big ben, or about the bongs. It's a jingoistic distraction to try to convince all the dumb gently caress Tory Leave voters that it's all patriotic and let's have a grand gesture to celebrate what a huge success Brexit is going to be...

Until they have to blame it on the perfidious EU for not giving us what we wanted and cheating the British people and Are Soverenteh.

E: https://twitter.com/TNeenan/status/1217384889370046471?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

It's not about the money, or about big ben, or about the bongs. It's a jingoistic distraction to try to convince all the dumb gently caress Tory Leave voters that it's all patriotic and let's have a grand gesture to celebrate what a huge success Brexit is going to be...

Until they have to blame it on the perfidious EU for not giving us what we wanted and cheating the British people and Are Soverenteh.
Yeah exactly. It's a sideshow and a way to get people personally invested in BREXIT DAY and bing bong bond britane

It's also playing into the "sensible government" thing (no we can't afford this! but the individual economic actors of the UK can), the "this is some expert's fault" thing (notice Johnson says "the clapper had to be removed" and then immediately corrects himself and says "uh um they said the clapper had to be removed") and it's subtly pushing the idea that the government isn't going to take care of things going forward

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not compared to "London Southend" and "London Oxford" it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAal7jIWQ4

I only found out recently that London Southend exists after the government funded route from here to London changed providers and they started flying there - honestly seems easier to make the 2hr journey to Belfast City airport and fly to City

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

it's literally just this:

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1213822772356567040?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Starmer's pitch is essentially just "I will work with the left but will put a respectable face on it so Labour doesn't get battered by the media."

The problem is that as Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband found out, if you don't completely kowtow to the media they will just demolish you anyway (and even if you do everything they say they might just do it anyway).

Michael Walker from Novara put a good article out on it recently;

Keir Starmer’s Call to End Factionalism Must Not Mean a Return to the Status Quo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Are we still talking about airports?

gently caress Schiphol.

That's my entire airport take.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Haven't caught up with the thread, but

1) Rarity, if you need a new handset I have a spare Xperia X I can send you free of charge,

2) Can someone just check podcast Rob is OK and that we keep any Polly Toynbee articles away from him? :ohdear:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Haven't caught up with the thread, but

1) Rarity, if you need a new handset I have a spare Xperia X I can send you free of charge,

2) Can someone just check podcast Rob is OK and that we keep any Polly Toynbee articles away from him? :ohdear:

We checked on Rob and he's fine. Got some worms in his brain but we're working on removing them gently and it doesn't look like it'll have any long term effects.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

Are we still talking about airports?

gently caress Schiphol.

That's my entire airport take.

I object!

Schiphol is great. Mainline trains right under the concourse. One-terminal airport so no silly little trains. Fancy CT scanners so laptops and liquids can stay in your bag. No forced slalom through duty-free. Seats at baggage claim.

But I do spend far too much time there, so maybe I'm just immune.

I'm intrigued to hear why you dislike it :)

Edit: now Moscow Sheremetyevo, there's a crappy airport. Airside feels squished, barely anything there, nowhere to sit. And I have to change planes there next month.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 16, 2020

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bobstar posted:

I'm intrigued to hear why you dislike it :)

its in europe, we aren't allowed to like it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And that fucker got a knight hood.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes traditionally murdering peasants effectively for the crown is what you get knighthoods for.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i think emotionally i finally entered my 30s today, cos that loki guy on twitter exposed who is behind red roar or whatever and while it was kind of funny watching centrist dads poo poo their knickers for a bit, after that i was like meh who really gives a poo poo, if it wasn't that ghoul behind red roar it would be some other ghoul

edit: i've already forgotten the guy's name, lol mentally entered my 30s too it seems

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think emotionally i finally entered my 30s today, cos that loki guy on twitter exposed who is behind red roar or whatever and while it was kind of funny watching centrist dads poo poo their knickers for a bit, after that i was like meh who really gives a poo poo, if it wasn't that ghoul behind red roar it would be some other ghoul

edit: i've already forgotten the guy's name, lol mentally entered my 30s too it seems

Goondolences.

Have you started making satisfied noises when you get to sit down, yet?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Goondolences.

Oh man I started on those when I was 20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

sebzilla posted:

Goondolences.

oh yeah, and i found myself pondering ideal thermostat timings the other day, i am fully in the zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Want to escape Brexit Britane?

Job vacancies on Antarctica (and support in Cambridge). (One for Fortran!! I thought that was long dead! I did that at uni over 40 years ago!)

https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancies/