Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Just some stealers, may as well paint up the random ones I end up with and go for the 60 strong barrel of stealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's my first mini I'd really consider complete: the Music Note character from Gloomhaven! Since their appearance is technically a spoiler for the game, I'll hide the images:

These really aren't great shots, the mini looks 1000% better in person IMO. But overall I'm super happy with how it came out! This mini wasn't super detailed, and I thought maybe my priming had obscured some stuff. I was worried the chest and the instrument would come out bad because of this, but I'm glad I was wrong. Had some trouble with getting the right skin tone that I wanted, but the face and eyes came out clearer than I thought they would. This is also my first time basing, and I think I did a pretty good job overall. I didn't really intend to do a kinda desert theme, it's just kinda what happened with the materials I had. I want to experiment with bases now, I'd ESPECIALLY like to try snow. I think thanks to priming in black the colors came out a little muted, but it's OK. Maybe a little too much browns/bronze in the front.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah miniature photography is hard and phone cameras suck at it, I always feel so bad when I look at pictures

It totally looks better IRL

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

These really aren't great shots, the mini looks 1000% better in person IMO. But overall I'm super happy with how it came out! This mini wasn't super detailed, and I thought maybe my priming had obscured some stuff. I was worried the chest and the instrument would come out bad because of this, but I'm glad I was wrong. Had some trouble with getting the right skin tone that I wanted, but the face and eyes came out clearer than I thought they would. This is also my first time basing, and I think I did a pretty good job overall. I didn't really intend to do a kinda desert theme, it's just kinda what happened with the materials I had. I want to experiment with bases now, I'd ESPECIALLY like to try snow. I think thanks to priming in black the colors came out a little muted, but it's OK. Maybe a little too much browns/bronze in the front.

I wish my first mini looked this good. You're right about the base being good, and honestly playing with basing rules. It's one of my favorite parts of painting.

I don't think the colors are too muted, but because they're both in the same brown range the instrument kinda blends into the chest. You could add a really sharp highlight on that curve with some more shading around the instrument to help that, but IDK I'd be totally satisfied with putting it on the table.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Another PBC done as my WIP loyalists look on in disgust

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How many of you do traditional base / layer / shade / highlight vs how many of y’all do glazing?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wish my first mini looked this good. You're right about the base being good, and honestly playing with basing rules. It's one of my favorite parts of painting.

I don't think the colors are too muted, but because they're both in the same brown range the instrument kinda blends into the chest. You could add a really sharp highlight on that curve with some more shading around the instrument to help that, but IDK I'd be totally satisfied with putting it on the table.

Yeah, I might add a little color here and there, but I don't think it needs much.

Do I need about varnishing my minis? The ones that will see real play, anyway?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How many of you do traditional base / layer / shade / highlight vs how many of y’all do glazing?

Depends on the model and mood. If I'm trying to churn out a lot of models in the same scheme I'll pick a palette that lets me combine layer and shade (to tint the layer close what would be the base skipping out a step) or use coloured primer.

Other times I'll do a poor man's brushed on Zenithal and glaze over it (either with thinned paint or contrast/glzes), same thing I do for a quick OSL effect too.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Staff of music is a cool idea. I was thinking of like, small translucent tubing/stand with small notes on the end positioned so they surround the lute. But 1. I don't know if small music notes even exist and 2. I don't know if any kind of stiff translucent tubing exists either.

Try the scrapbooking section of Michaels or any big craft store, I bet they would have both. Scrapbookers get all the cool swag.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

queef anxiety posted:

:zombie::hf::zombie:

Gotta get a game in with it to motivate me to finish the second one.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

queef anxiety posted:

I really dig that color scheme, and your attention to detail is great. I love the blue teal/copper color rust on some of the rivets on the front plow. Wish I was more comfortable in the hobby to do some more exploratory and unique paint scheme. Some day!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I may have gone a bit overboard

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

I may have gone a bit overboard

Nah that just sort of happens when you're buying inexpensive minis like that.

You look down and realize that three or four packs must have leapt off the shelves and onto the counter, and suddenly you're paying for them, and why did I buy three bugbears again?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think if I as going to do a long term painting project, it would be to replace all the cardboard monster standees in gloomhaven with real minis. I think I’d start with something that seems easy to paint in bulk wolves and go from there.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

TotalHell posted:

why did I buy three bugbears again?

To steal their porridge, obviously.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I think if I as going to do a long term painting project, it would be to replace all the cardboard monster standees in gloomhaven with real minis. I think I’d start with something that seems easy to paint in bulk wolves and go from there.

I mean, there's always this link to a bunch of free 3d printer files for D&D monsters, so hopefully this should be a start on that. If you don't have a 3d printer, I've been seeing a lot of public libraries starting to offer access to them, sometimes for a small fee, sometimes free, so check that avenue out.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Aniodia posted:

I mean, there's always this link to a bunch of free 3d printer files for D&D monsters, so hopefully this should be a start on that. If you don't have a 3d printer, I've been seeing a lot of public libraries starting to offer access to them, sometimes for a small fee, sometimes free, so check that avenue out.

I can do you one better: https://www.thingiverse.com/tag:gloomhaven

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Aniodia posted:

What public library has a free 3d printer and how can I exploit it before someone else does

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I have noticed these basic brushes that came with these reaper paint sets aren’t the best. They have trouble holding a fine point, for one thing. Can you find good brushes at stores like Micheals, or do you really have to go a hobby store/online to get them? I don’t need absolute top quality yet, just decently good.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

So I have noticed these basic brushes that came with these reaper paint sets aren’t the best. They have trouble holding a fine point, for one thing. Can you find good brushes at stores like Micheals, or do you really have to go a hobby store/online to get them? I don’t need absolute top quality yet, just decently good.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Rosemary & Co. is a good choice for online sales since she makes them all herself and you don't have to worry about counterfeits.

edit: she doesn't make all of them, but the ones you want, series 33, she does.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I picked up some of Plaid's cheapie detail brush set at Wal-mart intending them for metallic/drybrushing/pigment abuse and they were surprisingly decent. Maybe I just got lucky, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and get some perfectly fine cheap round brushes that hold a point pretty well and that you can just beat the poo poo out of because they cost like 60 cents a pop.

I got turned on to using these ones specifcally: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Stencils-Craft-Paints/Brushes-Tools/Round-Paint-Brushes---12-Piece-Set/p/425 and I do like everything except fine detail painting with them.

You don't need to jump right to buying real nice sable brushes, although they're very nice to have.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I picked up some dirt cheap brushes off wish.com, and they are perfectly fine, although I havent done a massive amount of painting since I got them so I cant speak to how hardwearing they may turn out to be. But for the price I paid I'm pleasantly surprised they are usable at all to be fair!

Edit to add: For doing terrain I pretty much exclusively use "Boldmere" brushes from The Works (a discount book and craft shop) because you can get a set of like 8 for £2, and I dont have to give a poo poo what effect stippling on wall filler, sand and house paint will have on the brush).

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 16, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You can buy perfectly serviceable brushes at stores like that, but their selection of "good brushes" for like $5-10 a piece are crap (for mini painting anyway) and at that point you should just buy something online.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Alan Smithee posted:

What public library has a free 3d printer and how can I exploit it before someone else does

Good news! Nobody at a library actually wants to use a 3D printer, so you'll probably be the talk of the staff for a good week or so.

Bad news! Nobody at a library actually wants to use a 3D printer, so you'll need to call ahead and make sure the one person who knows how to run it is being paid to be there that day.

Also, unless your library has a resin printer, what you're going to produce is going to take a jillion years and still look ugly. Be prepared for disappointment.

Ask me about running a library 3d printing lab.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Scarab Occult Terminators done.

Now just to come up with a name for the familiar...

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

PierreTheMime posted:

Gotta get a game in with it to motivate me to finish the second one.

looks great my dude. Once you play with one you'll know why you need two more!

Werix posted:

I really dig that color scheme, and your attention to detail is great. I love the blue teal/copper color rust on some of the rivets on the front plow. Wish I was more comfortable in the hobby to do some more exploratory and unique paint scheme. Some day!

haha now that you say that I noticed I missed under the right spiky rail. Thanks for your words though. I've been playing for quite a while but only started painting recently, you should definitely try some new things! It can be daunting with expensive models but I always buy a few test space marines from the ETB kits first. This scheme was heavily influenced from a post I found on instagram, always heaps of way more talented people sharing ideas on there.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
It's a big bug:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Looking over a few of these minis, it seems like many of them have quality and detail issues, specifically around the face. Two of them have near-perfectly flat faces with no detail below the eyes, and their heads are in a strange position that makes me believe that something happened with the molds during production. I bought them from Miniatures Market so hopefully they'll give me a refund

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Cross-posting from the Oath thread!

I finished my first minis of 2020, probably don't want to paint 16 mins at the same time again.
In some strange reverse scale creep, the 5th edition BB minis are somehow smaller in scale than anything produced before or after.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Cross-posting from the Oath thread!

I finished my first minis of 2020, probably don't want to paint 16 mins at the same time again.
In some strange reverse scale creep, the 5th edition BB minis are somehow smaller in scale than anything produced before or after.

I'm loving the Bram Stoker's Dracula energy of that armor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Jeeze I'm struggling with these fluorescent UV paints. Someone suggested mixing them with some base coat paint in order to help them flow better. That does work, and I get much better coverage... but then it ends up looking very streaky under UV light.

Its never going to look perfectly clean under UV due to the nature of the fluorescent material or whatever, but I've managed to get a pretty bright solid color under UV by putting on a few thin coats of the fluro paint.

Problem is this really limits my ability to paint the model's details.

I'm honestly thinking about giving up and not doing it. My test Tyranid with normal GW paints looks really cool and I managed to do some great freehand details which is something I'm trying to do more of but haven't in the past, and I was really proud of the little bits I did. But with the fluro paint its just... weird. Hard to paint properly.

I'm gonna try putting down a few coats of fluro and then doing some edge highlights and freehand designs on top of that in a thin layer and I think hopefully the UV will shine through still pretty bright, or otherwise if it mostly glows other than a few spots, that'll probably look fine. I did a test with a wash over the fluro and the results were mixed.

But this is all such a pain just to get to a reasonable table-quality stage... bleh. Maybe I'll put the UV tyranids on hold and work on another kill team before them...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fluorescent also works better with an airbrush, if you've got access to one.

These spider riders keep coming along! I went back and did another round of highlights after this photo.

Unfortunately I only had 20 more prepped for painting last night, but some progress is better than none.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Lookin' good so far!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I meant to say an airbrush would probably help a lot and forgot to

Thing is I don't have one and my apt is already full of crap I barely use

I am tempted sometimes though

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I meant to say an airbrush would probably help a lot and forgot to

Thing is I don't have one and my apt is already full of crap I barely use

I am tempted sometimes though

get one for $56 in the badger sale that's ongoing right now. your new airbrush will show up at some unknown point in the future and then cross the rest of the bridges about airbrushing in an apartment when you get there

Amp fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 17, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

get one for $56 in the badger sale that will show up at some unknown point in the future and then cross the rest of the bridges about airbrushing an in apartment when you get there

Right now?

http://badgerairbrush.com/H56B_guidelines_rules.asp

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

bad phrasing -- the airbrush will show up at some unknown point in the future. from what i've heard it can be a pretty long wait!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here is the progress on my AdMech army. There are a few figures in here that I want to replace / redo because I think I was having a stroke when I worked on them. A lot of this was when I was very new to the hobby a year ago. The Dunecrawler on the far left is not mine, it was fully painted and assembled for $50 on Ebay, so I thought why not? I'm not doing a second one of those. The one in the middle is my work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

bad phrasing -- the airbrush will show up at some unknown point in the future. from what i've heard it can be a pretty long wait!

Oh yea for sure, from reading the page it sounds like it could be well over a month before it shows up, they don't even start handling orders for 20 days.