Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Seems amazing that someone is willing to create a decent show and then not beat the dead horse for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This one season was beating a dead horse as it was.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bip Roberts posted:

Seems amazing that someone is willing to create a decent show and then not beat the dead horse for years.

Based on Lindelof's comments his plan, at least if he didn't have an idea for a second season, was to let someone else take over and tell their own story in the universe. I'm a little disappointed HBO just went, "Nah, too much trouble," but whatever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

It was pretty good tv imo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

good

Bip Roberts posted:

yep

Nail Rat posted:

shhhh sh sh sh sh

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This show was pretty polarizing. I enjoyed it, a lot of us did. A lot of you didn't, and that's fine, too.

I'm glad it's not getting a second season. I think it wrapped up what it needed to.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Arist posted:

Based on Lindelof's comments his plan, at least if he didn't have an idea for a second season, was to let someone else take over and tell their own story in the universe. I'm a little disappointed HBO just went, "Nah, too much trouble," but whatever.

If it results in a S2 on par with True Detective or Westworld, then I’m glad they killed it.

Still, it would’ve been nice to see a true post-Manhattan world and the farce of a trial that Ozymandius would’ve been involved in. I can totally see S2 opening with Redford pardoning Ozy, but the truth still getting out and the fallout from that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nail Rat posted:

Needs more cutaways back to the horse being beaten while a monologue about the horse's beating plays in voice over

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't really trust HBO to stick to this decision

This announcement is viral marketing

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Because nothing builds hype like saying "We have no interest in this project"?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

precision posted:

I don't really trust HBO to stick to this decision

This announcement is viral marketing

jj abrams presents: watchmen babies into quarkness. hbomax. 2021.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
ya know what, i changed my mind on this not existing. dave gibbons deserves whatever money he can get from DC after what they pulled, and whatever this generates for alan moore he gives away so from a financial point of view, gently caress it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Rest in piss watchmen the tv show

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Arist posted:

Lindelof's pal JJ did that with star wars and boy does introducing a bunch of big ideas and cliffhangers and hoping someone else fits them together coherently after the fact not work

I would enjoy the spectacle of seeing how bad the watchmen equivalent to rise of skywalker would be though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

Because nothing builds hype like saying "We have no interest in this project"?

"A plan, some people say it's a plan. We bring back Coke and call it Coke Classic. Genius marketing. The truth is, we're not that dumb, and we're not that smart."

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
I’m in the “do it right or not at all” camp so I’m perfectly OK with not getting a second season.

For those of you who want more book content, the “Watchmen Companion” hardcover is now out.

It’s composed of Watchmen promotional material, an issue where The Question reads the Watchmen TPB and decided Rorschach sucks, and reprints of old DC Heroes Role Playing Game materials.

The RPG stuff has been out of print for decades and is hard (and expensive) to find. Ask me about how I threw mine out before leaving for college.

Any how, the RPG stuff is the only Watchmen tie-in Moore ever approved, so it is canonical. He co-wrote it and Gibbons did original art for it too.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I’m in the “do it right or not at all” camp so I’m perfectly OK with not getting a second season.

For those of you who want more book content, the “Watchmen Companion” hardcover is now out.

It’s composed of Watchmen promotional material, an issue where The Question reads the Watchmen TPB and decided Rorschach sucks, and reprints of old DC Heroes Role Playing Game materials.

The RPG stuff has been out of print for decades and is hard (and expensive) to find. Ask me about how I threw mine out before leaving for college.

Any how, the RPG stuff is the only Watchmen tie-in Moore ever approved, so it is canonical. He co-wrote it and Gibbons did original art for it too.

I just got this in today. It's interesting in that it's the last thing he had a hand in before ditching it. It's also confusing to read if you've never played any RPG stuff but still cool. The tie in question thing feels like they just needed something to pad out the page count, but the introduction was interesting. The actual paper stock on the thing is kinda rear end tbh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wolfsheim posted:

Lindelof's pal JJ did that with star wars and boy does introducing a bunch of big ideas and cliffhangers and hoping someone else fits them together coherently after the fact not work

I would enjoy the spectacle of seeing how bad the watchmen equivalent to rise of skywalker would be though

I was thinking more "anthology" than "star wars sequel trilogy"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The announcement says they’re not interested in doing a second season without Lindelof but doesn’t say anything about spinoffs, so it’s still possible we may see a Lubeman show just yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should just give us American Hero Story for real

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

it is good that this is getting more attention

I really appreciate that the show depicted the 1921 pogrom but honestly it's difficult to really do an event of that scale justice without making a program specifically about it. This isn't a knock on the show or anything and they treated it respectfully, it's just such a huge event that has left such a gaping hole in the city's collective subconscious that it's hard to encapsulate.

The massacre wasn't just a massacre, it was a two-day running gun battle between a pair of organized armed groups, one of them a white supremacist lynch mob and the other a black militia organized to prevent the lynching. Both groups included many men with military training and combat experience from WW1; both were quite well armed. One of the reasons the destruction was so total (nearly the entire district was leveled, many hundreds of buildings destroyed; most of the surviving black population of Tulsa was left homeless) was because the whites were sending a message, and the message was 'this is what happens when you fight back'. Greenwood fought like hell and a lot of white supremacists paid with their lives. There's a persistent story in local oral histories of the event that the whites dumped their dead in the Arkansas River rather than bury them, because they didn't want to give the blacks the satisfaction of knowing how many people they'd killed. There's another about a guy named Peg-Leg Taylor who holed up in a storefront with a Springfield rifle and several hundred bullets and shot every white person he saw for six hours.

That's why it's forgotten, and not remembered as a triumph of the good freedom-loving citizens against dangerous insurrectionists, like so many other white supremacist massacres of black people in the South are. There are similar atrocities throughout the old Confederacy whose sites were memorialized with plaques honoring the people who committed them. Not so much in Tulsa, where a concerted effort was made to memory-hole the entire incident. Until fairly recently (like, within the last year or two) there were white people who had lived here their whole lives who genuinely had no idea the massacre had happened at all. That's loving bizarre - a major city, consumed in a giant outbreak of organized violence involving tens of thousands of people, in which a significant portion of that city was completely destroyed and a large number of people were killed, and less than a hundred years later there are people whose families were already living here when it happened and have never even heard of it.

It was covered up because it destroys all the myths of white supremacy. The perpetrators of the atrocity were many of the city's fine upstanding men, prominent community leaders, and they led a mob on a sadistic, blood-crazed rampage. The black population were not violent thugs or fearful, passive victims; they were an organized community who came together, made a plan, and acted on it as best they could. Most importantly, and most dangerously, it proved that the whites weren't invincible. Some of the massacre's victims shot back, and some of those shots struck their targets. Hell, for a little while, until the airplanes and the machine guns got involved on the second day, Greenwood was actually holding the mob back. For a few hours they were arguably winning. David threw his stone at Goliath and he drew blood. If you're Goliath, that's terrifying, because even if you've crushed him for now, you know there's always more Davids, and more stones.

So they erased it. The death toll was covered up, white and black alike. The district itself was almost completely destroyed - not once, but twice. Most of it was rezoned as industrial and developed into factories, and what parts of it survived were later demolished by an urban freeway and a state university campus. The industrial part of it has now been redeveloped into a trendy (white) arts district named after Tate Brady, one of the Klan leaders who orchestrated the massacre. The records were filed away and attempts to officially commemorate the massacre later were suppressed by the city government. It was never taught in schools. Nobody talked about it, at least not publicly. Black people did, quietly, among themselves. They kept the memory alive.

It's good to see it getting the attention it deserves now. I just hope people understand it for what it was - it was not just an act of white terror, it was also an act of black resistance.
This is a great post that deserves more attention.

For me, the engagement with real history is most of what's good about this show. The destruction of Black Wall Street is an insane part of American history that doesn't get nearly enough attention. All the better that it's told here as a lived, embodied, first-person experience, rather than as dry documentary.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ruddiger posted:

If it results in a S2 on par with True Detective or Westworld, then I’m glad they killed it.

Still, it would’ve been nice to see a true post-Manhattan world and the farce of a trial that Ozymandius would’ve been involved in. I can totally see S2 opening with Redford pardoning Ozy, but the truth still getting out and the fallout from that.

S2 of Westworld was still far superior to watchmen s1

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

Good lord no. Watchmen may not have come together well but it had a ton of excellent individual episodes.

What the gently caress even happened in S2 of Westworld

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

A Typical Goon posted:

Your boos mean nothing, I've seen what makes you cheer

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Fact

The second season was cancelled because the show had dog poo poo ratings.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I've pretty much read through every page of this thread, Manhattan help me. The people who came in week by week to confirm that "yep, show still sucks" are the worst and need to ban themselves. The people rationally explaining with examples were so much better to read, even if I agreed with some and not with others. The Agency vs Free Will poo poo sucked too.

That being said, I don't care what anyone's opinions are, if anyone watched this and as a residual learned about the Tulsa poo poo buried for almost a century then they walked away winning. I am one of those people.

I agree with a lot of people, the Last episode was lacking, and the Looking Glass and Hanging Justice episodes were the loving best.

I enjoyed their take on Dr. Manhattan's non-linear view even if it seemed like it was TOO inhuman and uncontrollable. You mean to tell me when he monologues to Veidt in the book about the world's smartest man meaning no more to him than the smartest termite there's not some trace of human ego involved with that? Or did he just say it because he was meant to in an "adult mentally spanking a child" way that Veidt would understand?

It's not just a guy who experiences the timeline like a book powerless to affect it (imo). It reminds me of the "Lucky Coin" speech Anton Chigurgh has in No Country.

Anton: Don't put it in your pocket, sir. Don't put it in your pocket. It's your lucky quarter.
Gas Station Proprietor: Where do you want me to put it?
Anton: Anywhere not in your pocket. Where it'll get mixed in with the others and become just a coin. Which it is.

I loved that exchange, it's like Schroedinger's coin.

He is powerless to stop anything or change anything, until he's not. Which he always could, just like he saw. Human nature rubbed off on him in his relationship with Angela just like it re-invigorated him via his conversation with Laurie in the book which possibly facilitates change. I also like his barely measured excitement when he's unable to see what lies ahead of him any time tachyons are involved, it reminds me of the fascination he had with trying to see past the NY event.

Angela getting Will's memories may show her that violence begets violence and she's changed from it, so she may not be the police brutality vigilante she started out as when she gets the powers.

Season 2 is not needed, I think the story is told and to tell more would ruin it.

That's my hot take, thanks for listening!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Fact

I know you're not going to, since you haven't listened to the multiple others making the same request, but I'm compelled to offer up another voice. Will you just knock it the gently caress off and go somewhere you're wanted? Your endless trolling is recognized. You win. Now go... go somewhere you can offer value to a conversation because this thread clearly isn't it.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 17, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfvGVJCNpoY

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
People tend to give Dr. Manhattan projected things like emotions or ego. There's a few things out there where Alan Moore talks about his character and it's across the board detached as gently caress. There's no irony or subtext, he says literal statements. Love doesn't bring him to karnack, we just end up being slightly less boring then he thought on second glance..a glance he only gave out of routines from his human existence, something that he's shaking off more and more as the book progresses...and is so god drat brilliantly mirrored by his state of dress or lack thereof. By the time he hangs dong, he don't give no fucks about human machinations.

am: moore
dg: gibbons

quote:

AM: By the time Dr Manhattan is a million years old, or a thousand years old, or even a hundred he will be almost unrecognizable—but this is his infancy and you still see him doing things like… he pushes a door open in No 11.

quote:

AM: Anybody here ever had a lucid dream? if you have a lucid dream, and you’re good at it, you can do whatever you want to do in that dream. You’re Dr Manhattan, basically, because you control the substance of reality—but you find yourself surrounded by dream characters. You do what you want but you don’t do anything to offend them out of basic politeness.

quote:

SW: The other philosophical section consists of Dr Manhattan allowing Laurie to convince him that it is worth giving a drat about Earth again. When I finished No 9 I found myself thinking ‘I don’t believe him, I’m not convinced’. I thought he was either lying to her or letting himself believe in this—you know, all that stuff about thermodynamics.
MS: He knew he was going to believe.
FJ: He has a different perception, because in 12 he cares about life, then he looks at the globe and says “I think I’ll go and create some life somewhere else”. So he doesn’t care about humanity as life on Earth, he cares about life in general.
AM: He cares about the abstract.
DG: He doesn’t care about life emotionally, he cares about it scientifically.
AM: In his discussion with Laurie, at no point at the end does he say that he cares emotionally about it, it’s just more interesting than he thought it was.
MS: In No 12 when he says “I’m off to another galaxy where I can create” that’s the first time he seems to make any decision for himself.
FJ: It’s almost not a decision anyway. It’s like being slowly and cautiously elbowed out of their lives.
AM: It is a decision of sorts, but is a Dr Manhattan decision in that it’s a decision to walk away from the whole situation, you know.
DG: If he was to stay around on Earth he’s going to run up against some big decisions.

quote:

AM: Well, if you’re going to have a naked character in a comic book he’s almost by definition got to be the least sexual. What I remember—and this all gets very blurred when you’re talking about 2 years ago—the thing I remember is that Dave drew a naked figure of Dr Manhattan just to show his physique, and I looked at it and thought that would be pretty rad—let’s just not put any clothes on it. Me and Dave agreed but we didn’t know if we’d get away with it, and Dave said, look if we make it very hairless, take away all the human references for sex, like hair…
AM: And working that out, we thought it would show the gradual disassociation of Dr Manhattan: first he’s willing to put on the full uniform, but he doesn’t like the helmet; then later on he just has the leotard thing; then just for the sake of decency he’ll wear him little G-string; and then gently caress it, why bother, I’m Dr Manhattan, I can walk around how I like.
DG: Oh sure, body language is a way of showing emotion and it’s crucial that he doesn’t show emotion. But the thing about showing him naked was that point when most people first saw him, I don’t think they realised he was naked because we deliberately did it in a completely non-sexual, lonely, distant…

full transcript from this 1988 here, long but pretty drat rad

wow, that jeremey irons clip is a real bummer. what an rear end in a top hat

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 18, 2020

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Alan talks about Dr. Manhattan making a decision, which means he has to have some influence on the choices no? I guess we could rabbit hole this forever similar to the other debates. It's what makes it good.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
This is truly some Last Jedi level poo poo where people have tied their entire identity to a show they were warned was going to be bad, it fulfilled its prophecy of being bad, and instead of admitting it's bad you just refuse to admit it to yourselves.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Comfortador posted:

Alan talks about Dr. Manhattan making a decision, which means he has to have some influence on the choices no? I guess we could rabbit hole this forever similar to the other debates. It's what makes it good.

yeah i mean, you could say he sees the outcomes and the choices are just perfunctory

choosing not to stick around to have to choose things is so incredibly that character

and whatever he was in the show felt like none of that

to go even more into that, it almost felt hostile..like Lindelof took away from the events of the book "that rear end in a top hat could have done so many things to fix poo poo!" something that's addressed in the comic to dr. manhattan [comedian giving him the gently caress your high horse you watched me murder her thing in vietnam] ..in fact i'm pretty sure people say this to tv manhattan's face (viedt right?)

plus his whole letter where he's like "what if hes not wise and just really sad you guys?"..ok dude. sure.

""A wise, blue man once said that nothing ever ends. But maybe he wasn't wise. Maybe he was just scared and alone and sad that he would outlive everything and everyone he ever loved." - Damon Lindelof

"nah" - book fans

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 18, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tehran 1979 posted:

This is truly some Last Jedi level poo poo where people have tied their entire identity to a show they were warned was going to be bad, it fulfilled its prophecy of being bad, and instead of admitting it's bad you just refuse to admit it to yourselves.

:goonsay:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tehran 1979 posted:

Literally the only place where I see people dislike this show is this thread. I loved it, any of my friends who watch it loved it, a bunch of people here haaaate it. It’s so weird.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Okay, come on dude, this isn't even true, which I suspect you even know because you posted nothing to support it.

Tehran 1979 posted:

It's some Last Jedi-level poo poo for sure, in that it's really good and a lot of peoples' criticisms are loving bizarre .

For real though, how do opinions work?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Literally the only place where I see people dislike this show is this thread. I loved it, any of my friends who watch it loved it, a bunch of people here haaaate it. It’s so weird.

I mean, not really? You have a property that doesn't want to be a franchise, made by a guy who is officially done with it after the story he wanted to tell, made in a medium that is super specific in both how it tells the story and in the story itself on more levels then I even have time to get into.

Then you have a creative who is behind some really polarizing stuff, who understands that a lot of people are coming in thinking it shouldn't exist but seems to be reveling in it with his dumb "alan moore would want to me to say gently caress alan moore" press nonsense.

That's already a situation before you even watch the drat thing. And then it pulls a lot of the same bullshit people hated in those other projects of his (elephants and polar bears oh my). Is it hard to see why some of us really disliked this from multiple fronts?

It's trying so hard to subvert poo poo from the book that it doesn't really tell a cohesive story at all. "Well the book's climax is all about subverting the hacky trope of a villans monologue giving the hero a chance to win, so let's do exactly that in our show."

If it had stuck with the frame of the first episode and maybe did something interesting with authority and masks, institutionalized power vs the individual, or like, anything at all. Hell do something with the bureaucracy of being able to use a live weapon..but that gets dropped as fast as we see it the one time. At least it went for it, even if it failed hard for me..so there's that. Even the exposition dumps weren't boring..just real real dumb.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

I mean, not really? You have a property that doesn't want to be a franchise, made by a guy who is officially done with it after the story he wanted to tell, made in a medium that is super specific in both how it tells the story and in the story itself on more levels then I even have time to get into.

Then you have a creative who is behind some really polarizing stuff, who understands that a lot of people are coming in thinking it shouldn't exist but seems to be reveling in it with his dumb "alan moore would want to me to say gently caress alan moore" press nonsense.

That's already a situation before you even watch the drat thing. And then it pulls a lot of the same bullshit people hated in those other projects of his (elephants and polar bears oh my). Is it hard to see why some of us really disliked this from multiple fronts?

It's trying so hard to subvert poo poo from the book that it doesn't really tell a cohesive story at all. "Well the book's climax is all about subverting the hacky trope of a villans monologue giving the hero a chance to win, so let's do exactly that in our show."

If it had stuck with the frame of the first episode and maybe did something interesting with authority and masks, institutionalized power vs the individual, or like, anything at all. Hell do something with the bureaucracy of being able to use a live weapon..but that gets dropped as fast as we see it the one time. At least it went for it, even if it failed hard for me..so there's that. Even the exposition dumps weren't boring..just real real dumb.

It was fine.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bip Roberts posted:

It was fine.

Now it dead.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

The Native American episode and most of the Hopkins scenes are better than anything in Watchmen but in the inverse the rest is so shockingly bad I would take a thousand thousand terrible Manhattans over another Dolores scene

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I really loved the show until the last 2.5 episodes, and I really was gung ho about it up through that point. I was telling friends who loved the comics that it was a great sequel and it showed a reverence for the source material while forging something new.

It's a bad show that had promise and some good ideas, and some really bad ones. And some that aren't examined at all (as was said before, the big question isn't whether the egg will give Angela Dr M's power - we know it will. It's whether she SHOULD take that power for herself. They didn't realize that; right there that would've been a better ending).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Last week, you chose to eat chicken instead of beef. Today, you remember making that decision, and tell me about it.

Next week, Dr. Manhattan will he presented with the choice of having chicken or beef. Today, he remembers making that choice, and tells me about it.