Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mordja posted:

Ngl, I'm kinda bummed that CA confirmed there won't be more race packs coming for this game. Especially since both factions added--great as they are--are some form of undead.

who is left to add in? chorfs ogres araby and nippon? 2 of those are probably game 3 factions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, Dogs of War, and Daemons of Chaos are the only remaining ones with proper army books dating back to 5th edition. Kislev, IIRC, has an army booklet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ammanas posted:

who is left to add in? chorfs ogres araby and nippon? 2 of those are probably game 3 factions

Was hoping for a CA-expanded Araby and Dogs of War/Southern Realms faction.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mordja posted:

Was hoping for a CA-expanded Araby and Dogs of War/Southern Realms faction.

Given that they keep populating Araby with non-Araby factions, I doubt we'll ever get them as an official faction

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

toasterwarrior posted:

Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, Dogs of War, and Daemons of Chaos are the only remaining ones with proper army books dating back to 5th edition. Kislev, IIRC, has an army booklet.

I'd love if Kislev got a proper setup to be the front line option against chaos invasion

Wulf
May 8, 2008
I can see Kislev being one of the base race of game 3 so there is at least one order faction in there, but I was also expecting Dogs of War or something else to fill in the Southerm Realms as a game two DLC. Generic empire factions with only half the units available are rather boring.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CobiWann posted:

I got to fire Queen Bess last night for the first time.

:stare:

drat near won me a shipwreck battle by herself. Annihilated the infantry before they could get close and wiped out the gunline in one or two shots per unit.
Remember that a Gunnery Wight is this girl's best friend, replenishing ammo on a unit like this is amazing, can temporarily buff its rof and accuracy as well. Also Spieful Shot, one of the lore of the deeps spells, is really made for a unit like this.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
CA has said directly that they have no plans to add Araby

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Panfilo posted:

Remember that a Gunnery Wight is this girl's best friend, replenishing ammo on a unit like this is amazing, can temporarily buff its rof and accuracy as well. Also Spieful Shot, one of the lore of the deeps spells, is really made for a unit like this.

I roll with two wights. Aside from gobs of ammo for Bess, they're excellent character snipers, and their crab mounts are tough as nails.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

e: As he's a mourngul he has neither dick or nutt.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 16, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a vampirate captain named Dick King.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nothing beats Nostril Damnus.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So uh, every single game I've been playing Tyrion annihilates everyone by about turn 70, is this normal? It's been a while. This is in both mortal empire and vortex.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
For Game 3, it's pretty much a certainty that we've got at least Chaos Dwarves, Ogres, and Daemons and that covers all the core book factions. From there things get interesting depending on where your strategic focus is. Depending on the scope of the campaign, you could still have Kislev and/or Dogs of War and make them explicitly an expedition force across the mountains kind of like the Huntsmarshal campaign. You could do Ind or Cathay if the campaign map goes far east, and you could in theory do some interesting things with it considering the splats on Cathay basically have them as being chaos adjacent at best or explicitly worshipping Tzeench at worst, but you also get some madcap poo poo like steampunk terracotta robots with them to give them some distinct flavor. Hobgoblins live in fantasy mongolia and would go along with the near future greenskin revamp. Or you just straight up bring back relevant game 1 races with new lords/mechanics and have dwarf and orc thunderdome spill over the mountains.

Or just straight up not have a game 3 specific campaign map and make the core campaign the combined game 1-3 map into the glorious clusterfuck that it is absolutely going to be.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DeathSandwich posted:

Or just straight up not have a game 3 specific campaign map and make the core campaign the combined game 1-3 map into the glorious clusterfuck that it is absolutely going to be.
Give me this or give me death.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Enigma posted:

Well Blood Night armies are some bullshit on turn ~30.

Oh fun fact. That Blood Night army is unbreakable. Whee!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The faster turn times give me a lot of hope for a bloated death planet populated by 500 different factions each doing their own poo poo over the course of 350 turns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah right. It will be a bloated death planet with three or four superpowers and every other faction dead by turn 100

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Enigma posted:

Oh fun fact. That Blood Night army is unbreakable. Whee!

theyre tough but beatable with a beginning stack + garrison army, especially if they hit the khaine shrine settlement

gently caress now i want to play another allarielle campaign

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

High Elfs tend to completely rock poo poo but usually get so caught up tripping over each other they keep their bullshit sequestered to Ulthuan. But if Tyrion gets lucky or something and confederates/conquers enough it might be bad news.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ammanas posted:

theyre tough but beatable with a beginning stack + garrison army, especially if they hit the khaine shrine settlement

gently caress now i want to play another allarielle campaign

I'd just moved on from the shrine and had like no garrison.

Almost did it at the pheonix gate but ran out of ammo. They had like 40 dreadspears left. An unbreakable Hydra is nasty.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Vlad has managed to avoid the wrath of the Dawi steamroll by offering an early non-aggression pact in exchange for declaring war against Black Crag, who were too far away to be much of a threat at the time. I’ve then gone around picking off Thorgrim’s military allies abusing the Join War Against diplomacy offer with Clan Moulder, Pirates of Sartosa and Talsyn, all of whom have decided they despise the Order snowball. Karl Franz is a shambling corpse and the tattered banners of the Von Carsteins fly over Altdorf and every Empire settlement south of the Reik; Ostermark is a dark bastion filled with grave guard and varghulf ready for Chaos to finish kicking Kislev around, the Border Princes are now vampire lords, and Balthasar Gelt has fled south across the desert. Thorgrim must be clawing at his beard trying to find a way to declare war without breaking his NAP. Relations are at -400 and falling, and Black Crag are friends with me again.

drat it feels good to be a vampire.

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 17, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In my Malekith campaign, I confederated Hag Graef early enough to get Malus’ quests for the Warp Sword of Khaine. The second quest is to win a fight against a Beastmen faction that spawns just for that quest. The problem is I can’t attack, declare war, or engage in diplomacy. Searching suggests it’s done automatically, but maybe the fact that I started as Malekith is causing problems. Is it a known issue, and is there a way to fix it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Shout out to Mortar War Wagons being considered a Rare unit for most unit cap mods thanks to the old 4th edition army book; means I can use my Rare slots for both anti-fortification artillery (Helblasters) and siege artillery (aforementioned War Wagons), and instead use Special slots for the numerous options available to the Empire that are key to making them legitimately good on the battlefield.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there a good guide for Wulfheart Mortal Empires that isn't a video? I just don't like watching video guides, sue me, but I can't find a text one anywhere and I'm finding him totally impossible to get off the ground.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
When you try to make trade deals, the AI takes into account how lopsided it is. It seems a somewhat silly effect of this is that later in the game when you have a lot of trade buildings it's very difficult to make trade deals because no matter how friendly a faction is they'll deny it because you'd make more money than them.

How do you deal with this? Do you just have to rush for early trade deals? I'm seriously considering demolishing my trade buildings so I can spam deals with everyone and then rebuilding them.

e: Maybe I don't understand all of this after all. Now I'm getting trade deals again even though neither the trade situation or my relations changed. :shrug:

Elukka fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 18, 2020

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Every time you do what, get a port and some other crap, wulfheart gains bad boy points and everyone hates him more. But the more people hate you, the bigger buffs they get when fighting you, but you also get imperial shipments faster.

Every wulfheart game I've done is pushing that hate up as fast as I can to get free good troops, then dealing with an army and moving on. When your hate bar is maxed, it only stays for 5 turns before reverting to zero.

Keep doing this until your chivalary bar is strong enough to build your own units.

Also go get all of your heroes as fast as you can.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also abuse ambush stance as much as you can with Wulfhart. You can do a lot of good work capturing a 'bait' settlement and ambushing next to it while the AI streams army after army into the grinder. If you're trying to take a city with a stack on it, try using a bait army to lure them out in a similar way.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Man the Isabella + Vampire doomstack certainly is effective as it was in War1. The only problem is 25 turns in I have yet to get a big battle marker for raise dead recuritment even after taking all of Sylvania, Stirland and Averland. At least I got up to free skeleboys for everyone else now.

Time to arrange a big multistack skeleton assault with some disposable lords of something I guess.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I def had Vlad just get himself and a necro and then nothing but free skellies. It's amusing how even though you'll never see them WIN combat you somehow win battles. and then I'd trade out the dead ones for grave guard when I could.
With Isabella though it's impossible from stopping myself just doing Isabella's disco fever stack where it's her as many other vampires as I have capacity for and then some skeletons/grave guard meatshields for them. I tried bats but they would die too fast.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

lurksion posted:

Man the Isabella + Vampire doomstack certainly is effective as it was in War1. The only problem is 25 turns in I have yet to get a big battle marker for raise dead recuritment even after taking all of Sylvania, Stirland and Averland. At least I got up to free skeleboys for everyone else now.

Time to arrange a big multistack skeleton assault with some disposable lords of something I guess.

I'm in like turn 30-40 of a sylvania run and have most of eastern empire from Kislev across to Nuln consolidated with stacks of a vampire lord, one or two heroes, and then skeleton spearmen with one or two dogs or black knights. Haven't needed to tech up at all, between Isabella, Vlad, and then the special lords you get from blood kisses, you just need skeletons to soak damage while they mulch everything

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
hundreds of hours in, I still do not understand know how to get my loving lords to attack other lords while in the middle of an infantry scrum. keep losing loving battles because my vampire is attacking random dipshit spearmen while getting focused down by their lord.

Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010
So I've been playing as the skaven a lot since the DLC, and come to the conclusion that I prefer the Eshin faction bonuses letting me play more with Slingers and Runners because I can justify including them in endgame stacks, but that giving up the option to mess around with the Skryre workshop is really painful. Is there any sort of mod out there that lets you gain access to a faction's unique bonuses if you confederate with them? Not necessarily faction-wide but more like, for example, if I confederate Eshin as Skryre, Sniktch gets a bonus trait that gives his army the armor piercing damage for skirmishing units. Or if I confed Tiktaq'to as Kroq-Gar, Tik's terradons get his faction-specific rock drop. I know that I could just diversify these lords' armies for the fun of it, but as a sweaty try-hard who is also completely awful at these games I'd prefer some sort of incentive that would also be flavorful.

On the subject of me being awful, I feel like I've seen a lot of people talking about how great the skaven grinder teams are in campaign, but every time I try to use them they just get shot to death, or murdered by a wall of infantry and cav as soon as their immobilization field runs out, or they just sit around doing nothing in a siege because my poisoned wind mortars killed everything after my lightning cannons broke all the towers threatening them. What's the secret to making the grinders feel good in both sieges and field battles?

Maekrix Waere fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 19, 2020

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is my favorite thing about wulfheart

steam tanks turn 15

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

terrorist ambulance posted:

hundreds of hours in, I still do not understand know how to get my loving lords to attack other lords while in the middle of an infantry scrum. keep losing loving battles because my vampire is attacking random dipshit spearmen while getting focused down by their lord.

You really need to spam attack commands in those kinds of situations. Just like with trying to pull a unit out of melee, you need to click the gently caress out of it.

Th AIs logic goes like this - attack enemy lord, ok got it, *then while waiting for next attack interval*, oh no ive been hit by a spearman unit, I must fight back!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And definitely turn off Guard Mode, it'll cause them to get snagged even more on other units.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are there any good mods people use that just add more field and island maps that won't completely ruin the AI?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I finally updated Dark Elves, though it needs explainers on the slave trade, more lords and gently caress doing the name stuff.

It only took me 2 1/2 years, I'll need to do more re-sorting to standardise the race info though eg the racial lores I put in for the newer races will need to go back in for ratmen and High Elves, and saying what stuff to put in lord info etc.

also if anyone else grabs the total warhammer 3 thread when it comes out take a third post in the OP.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

terrorist ambulance posted:

Just clickclickclickclickclick. Passing through units slows down the model and at some point it just goes gently caress it I'm not moving anymore. It's prudent to engage the enemy lords while they're still out in the open or charge from a flank where you don't have to push past many mooks. Flying mounts are nice to address this issue. I recall one of the funny things about the SFO mod was it made individual vampires like fuckin Goku not just in melee performance, but they had hilariously obscene foot speed and low collision so they could basically juke their way straight to your lord with little to stop them.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also abuse ambush stance as much as you can with Wulfhart. You can do a lot of good work capturing a 'bait' settlement and ambushing next to it while the AI streams army after army into the grinder. If you're trying to take a city with a stack on it, try using a bait army to lure them out in a similar way.

While this works really well with any 'ambush' oriented faction, even pokey dwarves can use this tactic to bait a stack that intended to starve you out in siege. I find the auroresolve is more efficient than me having my armies awkwardly waddle then into a huge melee blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pnutz posted:

I finally updated Dark Elves, though it needs explainers on the slave trade, more lords and gently caress doing the name stuff.

It only took me 2 1/2 years, I'll need to do more re-sorting to standardise the race info though eg the racial lores I put in for the newer races will need to go back in for ratmen and High Elves, and saying what stuff to put in lord info etc.

also if anyone else grabs the total warhammer 3 thread when it comes out take a third post in the OP.

Would you prefer something like this rough draft to save on text space?