Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

At that point just get a Chinese counterfeit. Like if you’re only playing casual formats like EDH who cares if it’s official WoTC material or not? Do commander players get deck checked?

Not really. My LGS operates on an honor system for prize-based EDH. The vast majority of people I play with don't give a gently caress if you're playing proxies/fakes though.

Then again, in cEDH (which is what I play the vast majority of the time) the general philosophy is that people would rather play against a deck in its most optimal form rather than quibble over whether or not cards are real. You could shove a piece of paper that says "Underground Sea" on it in a sleeve and most people won't bat an eye as long as it doesn't stand out in your deck.

Personally, I don't proxy cards I don't already own-- it's just easier to print off an extra card than swap out half my deck to play a different one. cEDH staples can be expensive stuff so I don't feel like buying more than one.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Don't we have a separate EDH thread or did that fall into the archives?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It is still quite active.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ring and Crypt are both arguably better than black lotus, they're definitely better than moxen

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Framboise posted:

It is still quite active.

:ok:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Its kind of weird that people play commander, but try to get around every restriction that makes it not legacy constructed. Why not just play legacy at that point? Some stuff is banned in commander because it makes decks too consistent. I feel like commander decks shouldn't do the same thing every game, and should probably also be able to do multiple things. Instead, everyone just gets as many tutor / card draw effects as possible and plays boring linear combo decks. Most cards on the banlist do things that make the rest of your table go "oh gently caress off with that. Hey everyone but the guy with the Braids/Grislebrand/etc deck, wanna concede and start a new game somewhere else?". Then there's cards that just end the game right away or restart it, like Worldfire, Biorhythm, Sway of the Stars, Shaharazad, upheaval. Nobody has ever played Sway of the Stars or Shaharazad with the intention of casting it just once. Its always some loving nerd who casts it like 15 times in 1 game and thinks everyone thinks hes so loving clever.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 16, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Moose posted:

Its kind of weird that people play commander, but try to get around every restriction that makes it not legacy constructed. Why not just play legacy at that point? Some stuff is banned in commander because it makes decks too consistent. I feel like commander decks shouldn't do the same thing every game, and should probably also be able to do multiple things. Instead, everyone just gets as many tutor / card draw effects as possible and plays boring linear combo decks. Most cards on the banlist do things that make the rest of your table go "oh gently caress off with that. Hey everyone but the guy with the Braids/Grislebrand/etc deck, wanna concede and start a new game somewhere else?". Then there's cards that just end the game right away or restart it, like Worldfire, Biorhythm, Sway of the Stars, Shaharazad, upheaval. Nobody has ever played Sway of the Stars or Shaharazad with the intention of casting it just once. Its always some loving nerd who casts it like 15 times in 1 game and thinks everyone thinks hes so loving clever.

You can still play boring linear combo decks in Sheldon EDH. Just not the very particular ones that Sheldon got mad at.

Compare it to the cEDH banlist, which has a much more coherent idea of what it wants the format to be.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A Moose posted:

Trust me. Nothing in the EDH banlist is there for consistency reasons. They're there for lovely play pattern, wonky rules interactions, and general "unfun" reasons.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A Moose posted:

cEDH is essentially legacy singleton with extra features and no need to buy multiple duals.

That, and people actually play EDH/cEDH. I have never seen anyone in my area playing legacy, ever, in the 4 years I've been playing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

Reading the responses of people who don’t play EDH to the banlist is honestly so adorable
:allears:

They don't play EDH because it's a garbage format with a dumb banlist.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

They don't play EDH because it's a garbage format with a dumb banlist.

I think you'll find it's the most popular MTG format. Similar to how that game where babies try to figure out which block fits into which hole is technically the most popular game in the world.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
EDH isn't super popular here, but legacy gets a decent draw. I've never played commander, mostly because I can't be arsed to put together a 100 card singleton deck. 60 cards takes me long enough and there I can jam 4 of whatever in.

Shaharazad should be unbanned in commander though, even if I don't play it.

fadam posted:

I think you'll find it's the most popular MTG format. Similar to how that game where babies try to figure out which block fits into which hole is technically the most popular game in the world.

no banlist anything piles is by far the most popular mtg format according to wizards no? just not in any sanctioned form

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

EDH isn't super popular here, but legacy gets a decent draw. I've never played commander, mostly because I can't be arsed to put together a 100 card singleton deck. 60 cards takes me long enough and there I can jam 4 of whatever in.

Shaharazad should be unbanned in commander though, even if I don't play it.

no banlist anything piles is by far the most popular mtg format according to wizards no? just not in any sanctioned form

Does that really count as a format?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont play edh for a variety of reasons but i have to say one of the funniest things ive ever seen is a dude who tricked some girl into playing edh at a game store and her sitting there bored out of her mind while he explained that its actually fun that he could end the game at any point and isnt, and maybe she can come back and win

its like watching someone trick people into playing a bad D&D class for their first character to teach them an important lesson, but not the lesson they think they're teaching

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you could swap your Sol Ring for any card on the banned list how many cards would be worth swapping for?

Free Prime Time and Sylvan Primordial!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

EDIT: Whoops wrong thread.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can anyone explain why they seem to actively dislike commander? I don't understand making GBS threads on a format you don't play. I hate Limited, but I understand it's place in magic. I think Cube is super boring but I'll still play a round when im invited. Why are some people so aggressively antagonistic of the most popular and arguably cheapest constructed format?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Can anyone explain why they seem to actively dislike commander? I don't understand making GBS threads on a format you don't play. I hate Limited, but I understand it's place in magic. I think Cube is super boring but I'll still play a round when im invited. Why are some people so aggressively antagonistic of the most popular and arguably cheapest constructed format?

Because it's funny.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I hate it because when I played it people were constantly whining about how unfair it is that they're getting attacked and obviously you should attack this other player because they usually play an unfair combo, and really if you look at everyone's life total it would be better if... etc etc etc. And that's if they were paying attention.

Then I thought about trying to play it again at a convention, but I looked over the rules and saw the Sheldon points system they were going to use and noped right out.

I'm sure with a good group it's fine, but multiplayer magic in general is pretty lovely imo. I even watched a couple of Game Knights, which by all rights should be like the ideal of this format, but I saw the same sort of complaints and annoying politicking.

I don't usually make fun of it too much though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bust Rodd posted:

sol ring and mana crypt being legal and sundering titan being banned is funny

also cheapest lol you can play a $10 commander deck and a $10 standard deck to basically equal results

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Framboise posted:

cEDH is essentially legacy singleton with extra features and no need to buy multiple duals.

That, and people actually play EDH/cEDH. I have never seen anyone in my area playing legacy, ever, in the 4 years I've been playing.

Legacy is seriously one of the most popular formats in Denver.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess this question is more about why I poo poo on commander rather than why I hate commander.

So, the reason I poo poo on commander is because I often want to play Magic with my group, but then half of the people in that group want to play commander instead of a real game of Magic. Commander is format that chases after you with its badness. You can't escape it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
They can really fix the whole issue by doing a re-print of gold bordered reserved list cards and saying they're only legal for EDH and thus solve most reserved list problems.

Vintage Masters in paper even if it wasn't tournent legal would be their best selling set ever most likely.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Can anyone explain why they seem to actively dislike commander?
A lot of people only understand Magic through the competitive lens. And because Commander is absolute rancid vomit piles of poo poo if played with a bad group, and people who post about Commander are usually too, erm word of your choice here, to realize the idiosyncrasies of the format need to be explained up front. Or just blather about how X or Y card will be great in their hyper specific fuckwit tribal deck in spoiler threads. The banlist being the fever dream of a dumb-dumb that thinks Expropriate is a worse commander card than Sylvan Primordial doesn't help either.

Casual commander sitting around a table playing each other's decks and drinking beer in a good group is easily my favorite way to play magic but I have no illusions about what makes the format unappealing or sell itself poorly. I know lots of people who get roped into a couple stupid commander games and that's their whole exposure to the format, just a forty two minute long torture session as the durdle team scowls at each other for interacting with the board.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Wait, Expropriate is still legal? lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Not only is it legal, it's busted in casual EDH because everyone is dumb and chooses Time

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

you keep talking like how people that don't like commander clearly are people that have never played it, rather than people that have played and realised it's a bad fuckin format.

it's has all the lovely parts of multiplayer magic: politics, games last forever, downtime when you get eliminated and wait for everyone else to finish.

it's got the inconsistency and wild unbalance of a highlander deck THAT HAS SOL RING IN IT, but also the repetitive nature of being able to play your commander over and over again so the novelty of Every Game Being Different isn't even there.

then you've got the brainworms of Sheldon and his crew of people that think it's a ~casual format~ that flip out if you don't play exactly this way.

like if i have exactly 3-6 nerd friends that want to play a casual game with drinks at a table, there's dozens of board games i'd rather play than fuckin slog it out in the worlds worst magic format.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
EDH with randos is rough. EDH with people who all agree on power level kicks every other format's rear end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can y'all make a thread or something for trying to one-up each other about how much more you virulently hate commander than the other posters

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, make a new thread to answer that guys question!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I thought that was this thread?

(in fairness someone did ask)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's far from the first time this thread has done this and it continues to be extremely awful to read

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

it's far from the first time this thread has done this and it continues to be extremely awful to read

if the dumbasses would just stay to their commander containment zone we wouldn't have this problem

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think "why don't you like commander" is a great question for the commander thread, which is presumably full of people who like commander

then again, goons

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

i cannot stand EDH because I'm a very impatient person. I've never not experienced a game of EDH where most turn cycles have lasted several minutes because of: other players taking their time eating, or making decisions, or showcasing the interactions and combos they've brought to the table; were distracted by other things happening around them; were messing with their phone or DS or whatever, etc.

If I'm with a group of people I know and can guaranteed make good smalltalk with then there's less of a problem (but I'm still impatient so hurry up!!), but even then I'd much rather be playing any 1v1 constructed/draft/sealed event where I feel like I have much more direct input to the game at all times.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've never really had the kinds of problems you guys are complaining about. They're usually solved right away by avoiding That Guy. Maybe you guys and your friends are all That Guy?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

None of my friends play Magic.

It's also a pretty small scene here. We're lucky to get 8 for FNM draft.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Forty-five minutes of who knows how many copies of Warp World created by two players in a group game playing their ~ChAoS~ decks that had Hive Mind and other bullshit.

That's my story.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

you keep talking like how people that don't like commander clearly are people that have never played it, rather than people that have played and realised it's a bad fuckin format.

it's has all the lovely parts of multiplayer magic: politics, games last forever, downtime when you get eliminated and wait for everyone else to finish.

it's got the inconsistency and wild unbalance of a highlander deck THAT HAS SOL RING IN IT, but also the repetitive nature of being able to play your commander over and over again so the novelty of Every Game Being Different isn't even there.

then you've got the brainworms of Sheldon and his crew of people that think it's a ~casual format~ that flip out if you don't play exactly this way.

like if i have exactly 3-6 nerd friends that want to play a casual game with drinks at a table, there's dozens of board games i'd rather play than fuckin slog it out in the worlds worst magic format.

Sorry you played lovely decks against lovely people and assumed there is literally one way to play it and gave up forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sorry you played lovely decks against lovely people and assumed there is literally one way to play it and gave up forever.
I love how this is always the comeback like "oh well MY group is all fun cool guys who play fun cool decks, you must be playing it wrong!" just completely negates how many people have had the exact same type of experience across a plethora of regions, socioeconomic statuses, and experience levels. Having fun with EDH is like having fun with Pathfinder: You're not having fun because of the rules 95% of the time; you're having fun in spite of the rules because you're with your friends and being with friends is the fun. You'd be having at least as much fun playing something else (or nothing at all) with the same people.