Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wasn’t microsoft legit trying to make that a thing a few years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
stux i just wanted 2 tell u that i was wrong about the new sts character and they rule

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you think there is any reason behind all the predictable AAA delays other than "let's announce a completely unrealistic launch date to get attention and a chunk of that sweet pre-order money ASAP and then delay the game once they all got suckered into paying" then I don't know what to tell you...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Official_GDC/status/1217853978324557824

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phantasium posted:

hell yeah

same composer

I figured as much! It's a beautiful soundtrack, and I am really enjoying this game so far.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Stux posted:

the raytracing stuff will cause less work for lighting which will be balanced out by everything else

I'm pretty sure it's more of just a different kind of work to implement but all that goes over my head

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

wasn’t microsoft legit trying to make that a thing a few years back

They are still working on this. I got to try out a similar augmented reality device, and the tech still has a long ways to go. https://www.magicleap.com/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

the raytracing stuff will cause less work for lighting which will be balanced out by everything else
lighting, as in the element of graphics that requires the fewest man hours to produce

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

I said come in! posted:

I figured as much! It's a beautiful soundtrack, and I am really enjoying this game so far.

where are you, in the game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

where are you, in the game?

Just 1 1/2 hours in. Fei got kicked out of town for brutally butchering a bunch of people, and he met some woman that is military but was never trained in how to use a gun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm not an extremist that says graphics are sinful.

I just think we peaked with Blast Processing and there was no need to go any further than that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i still have xenosaga pt II & III, not for reasons of playing them but for reasons of reminding myself of my hubris in an era when i would just pick up and play anything because it was a JRPG. a powerful lesson i learned that day

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We peaked at the Emotion Engine

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The 7th Guest posted:

i still have xenosaga pt II & III, not for reasons of playing them but for reasons of reminding myself of my hubris in an era when i would just pick up and play anything because it was a JRPG. a powerful lesson i learned that day

Sometimes we must suffer if we are to learn the most important lessons.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

stux i just wanted 2 tell u that i was wrong about the new sts character and they rule

welcome to "win town"

SeXReX posted:

I'm pretty sure it's more of just a different kind of work to implement but all that goes over my head

ideally you just setup lights and materials and dont have to worry about maps or baking

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1217953714419290113

As you can see, every one of these entries deserve a spot in Smash.

Instead of swords, the next pass will exclusively feature gun, gun, gun, gun and Steve from Minecraft who will have a pretty unique moveset actually.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hopper posted:

If you think there is any reason behind all the predictable AAA delays other than "let's announce a completely unrealistic launch date to get attention and a chunk of that sweet pre-order money ASAP and then delay the game once they all got suckered into paying" then I don't know what to tell you...

Don't be a conspiracy theorist, capitalism would never allow for or encourage this kind of stuff.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
That's what I mean, the process of tweaking the lights and materials to look the way you(r art director) wants is fundamentally different from how you do it with the old methods and then you have the issue of needing to do both because the game you're working on is seen as an investment opportunity by the people funding it so there's no way in hell itll only be using rtx.

Just look at the difference in implementation between control and literally every other rtx game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

doug bowser: at last.. a weapon to surpass metal gear

*picross 3D round 3 emerges from the shadows*

It's no picross 3d but there was a cool looking game in a nintendo direct or something a while back where it's like visual novel murder mystery picross and instead of getting a cute pixel cat when you solve the puzzle it's the murder weapon

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Luckily every pc gamer is able to use raytracing so that developers don't have to just implement both lighting methods.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

https://twitter.com/AWDtwit/status/1217889416682754049?s=09

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

:hai:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Relax Or DIE posted:

to give some folks a chance to put their asses away for a bit, lemme pose a question:

what is a very minor thing a game does that adds a lot more than it seems like it should that you really like? for example, in SMT IV/A when you do a good in combat your characters (or the enemy) can get a bonus buff that does a number of things. this buff is called 'smirk' which is a small detail but adds so much flavor to the game imo. SMT IV:A might be my favorite version of the SMT/Persona combat systems

Killing Floor 2 has reload animations for when your guns are full, and you fidget with them in varying ways.

It's a tiny thing but every time I play a couple of rounds in KF2 I try to do it on instinct in other FPSes for a while, and I'm always sad when it doesn't do anything.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Instead of swords, the next pass will exclusively feature gun, gun, gun, gun and Steve from Minecraft who will have a pretty unique moveset actually.

did black ops 4 really render its title as IIII instead of IV

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Looper posted:

It's like the first Harry Potter book where they had to dumb down the name for the usa.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://twitter.com/DrLavaYT/status/1217868946348466176?s=19

look at that beautiful face

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

harry potter and the chav down at the chippy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Luckily every pc gamer is able to use raytracing so that developers don't have to just implement both lighting methods.

eventually yeah

Dewgy posted:

Killing Floor 2 has reload animations for when your guns are full, and you fidget with them in varying ways.

It's a tiny thing but every time I play a couple of rounds in KF2 I try to do it on instinct in other FPSes for a while, and I'm always sad when it doesn't do anything.

tarkov will happily let you keep spamming reload on bolt actions and make your gun just drop unused bullets on the floor to punish you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

watching some street fighter 3 coop cup and its messed up everyone decided to stop making fighting games that were both extremely technical and hype

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Looper posted:

Back in Roman times IIII was a perfectly cromulent way of writing the number 4 :eng101:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cowcaster posted:

harry potter and the chav down at the chippy

'Arry Po'er and what the gently caress you lookin' at I'll fuckin' 'AVE you you speccy little twat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Viewtiful Jew posted:

New smash characters:

Trevor
Mason
Oliver North
(i didn't play MW3 probably a terrorist?)
Christopher Meloni
that dog with the animated jaw and body armor
Legendary Bear (echo fighter of Banjo)
etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ms Adequate posted:

'Arry Po'er and what the gently caress you lookin' at I'll fuckin' 'AVE you you speccy little twat

Lmao

Weedle
May 31, 2006

harry potter meets teesside tintin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Harry Potter and the Manchester Warehouse Rave

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1217856671265050627

Why would they not include this???

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

harry potter and elizabeth warren the bathroom ghost

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

gen 2 really did have some good fellers

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ve been playing final Fantasy X and I think I’d be willing to die for Yuna. This game better not betray me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006