Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

There are a lot of things in this game I appreciated that smarter, more articulate people were able to describe perfectly, but there's one very ugly facet of the detective's character that kept coming up that really stuck with me, as someone who has struggled with suicidal ideation on the daily for the majority of my sham life. I feel like that's just not something really touched on in video games, for frankly good loving reason, and in a way it was kind of refreshing to have that mirror held up, too, alongside other relatable traumas like addiction and ex-somethings.

For instance, when examining the ledger, the random text option to "just loving kill yourself you rear end in a top hat" inexplicably popping up alongside the more mundane options rang so true to the intrusive sort of thoughts that can plague you when you're really catastrophically depressed -- those felt like exact words I've used to speak to myself a million times, for even the most minor of situations I've balked at. Wanting to avoid what you know is inevitable but frankly momentary pain with the most final of all solutions instead, as some hosed up coping mechanism... that's one of the standout moments of the game to me.

That fact that this persistent pattern of ideation can be internalized as thought, too, was incredible to me. Finger on the Eject Button, which I earned after telling the twins in the fishing village that there was nothing wrong with suicide and my particularly sensitive Harry was planning to do so himself -- all after they'd mentioned that's how they lost their dad. Kim was absolutely livid with my Harry for saying so, and then I got this insane thought I couldn't believe was put into the game. I was simultaneously shocked but also, I guess, amused when I saw that was an option at all as dialogue. It's such a heinous thing to say to a couple of kids, one of whom was crying, and yet it spoke to me. Kim's rightful rebuke and the ensuing thought for my addled sorry, apocalyptic communist cabinet really drove home the idea that just because it was such a casual, laughable-in-its-regularity option to me didn't mean it was entirely appropriate nor near as funny to those around me who'd had to hear this bile I'd internalized as "totally fine" and "inevitable."

All this to say that Disco Elysium made me go back to therapy and I think about it constantly and love it a lot for affecting me in a way no other game has.
Also please don't ban me; I'm not in crisis, I'm getting treatment. I just have a lot of fond feelings for this game's depiction of the heavier topics. It's kind of nice to play as an unrepentant messy piece of poo poo, for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

JARATE CURES SPIES posted:

There are a lot of things in this game I appreciated that smarter, more articulate people were able to describe perfectly, but there's one very ugly facet of the detective's character that kept coming up that really stuck with me, as someone who has struggled with suicidal ideation on the daily for the majority of my sham life. I feel like that's just not something really touched on in video games, for frankly good loving reason, and in a way it was kind of refreshing to have that mirror held up, too, alongside other relatable traumas like addiction and ex-somethings.

For instance, when examining the ledger, the random text option to "just loving kill yourself you rear end in a top hat" inexplicably popping up alongside the more mundane options rang so true to the intrusive sort of thoughts that can plague you when you're really catastrophically depressed -- those felt like exact words I've used to speak to myself a million times, for even the most minor of situations I've balked at. Wanting to avoid what you know is inevitable but frankly momentary pain with the most final of all solutions instead, as some hosed up coping mechanism... that's one of the standout moments of the game to me.

That fact that this persistent pattern of ideation can be internalized as thought, too, was incredible to me. Finger on the Eject Button, which I earned after telling the twins in the fishing village that there was nothing wrong with suicide and my particularly sensitive Harry was planning to do so himself -- all after they'd mentioned that's how they lost their dad. Kim was absolutely livid with my Harry for saying so, and then I got this insane thought I couldn't believe was put into the game. I was simultaneously shocked but also, I guess, amused when I saw that was an option at all as dialogue. It's such a heinous thing to say to a couple of kids, one of whom was crying, and yet it spoke to me. Kim's rightful rebuke and the ensuing thought for my addled sorry, apocalyptic communist cabinet really drove home the idea that just because it was such a casual, laughable-in-its-regularity option to me didn't mean it was entirely appropriate nor near as funny to those around me who'd had to hear this bile I'd internalized as "totally fine" and "inevitable."

All this to say that Disco Elysium made me go back to therapy and I think about it constantly and love it a lot for affecting me in a way no other game has.
Also please don't ban me; I'm not in crisis, I'm getting treatment. I just have a lot of fond feelings for this game's depiction of the heavier topics. It's kind of nice to play as an unrepentant messy piece of poo poo, for once.

I like all of this, although it does raise the question of the portrayals of suicide and depression in media. I always worry about it, because of stuff like the suicide contagion effect or the romanticizing of depression. I'm curious how others feel this game does with those issues.

The other game I played that related to depression was Doki Doki Literature Club, and hoo boy do I have some thoughts on that. My character ends up walking in on another character having hung themselves, and it's done in a way that was clearly intended for maximum shock value. I actually ended up fainting shortly afterwards because the image was so upsetting and, for lack of a better word "triggering". I guess it gave me a panic attack.

Then, later on you get a character who self-harms escalate to violently stabbing themselves, and you realize a lot of the discussions of depression and mental illness were more for shock value, rather than discussing them in any sort of helpful way, and I ended up feeling pretty angry about how exploitative it felt.

Disco Elysium doesn't feel exploitative to me. It feels like something that's very personal and real, without being sensationalistic about it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Has there been anymore talk about the upcoming expansion for this yet? I need more!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Entorwellian posted:

Has there been anymore talk about the upcoming expansion for this yet? I need more!

Wait is that a thing?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait is that a thing?
Yeah, it is. But they've only mentioned that they're planning on working on it so far, so its probably not going to be for a decent while.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait is that a thing?

Sequel and a tabletop PnP game too in the future.

Think the devs said that they want the sequel to do what Baldurs Gate 2 did to Baldurs Gate 1.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 16, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This game has ruined ham sandwiches for me. I can't enjoy a honey baked on rye without feeling like my race has been superceded.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

This game has ruined ham sandwiches for me. I can't enjoy a honey baked on rye without feeling like my race has been superceded.
YOU HAVE TAINTED YOUR BODY WITH HAM SANDWICHES AND THE ALGUL.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
We have tried many slurs to bring the white race low, and no one could have predicted that "ham sandwich" would emerge the victor.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Ham sandwich sounds more like a slur against horny cops to me.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Zero VGS posted:

OK, ham sandwich.

I am seriously considering adopting this insult in real life. Only thing that stops me is that most people around me are potatoes and I am not racist enough to tell the difference between us and the ham sandwiches on first glance.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Caufman posted:

We have tried many slurs to bring the white race low, and no one could have predicted that "ham sandwich" would emerge the victor.

:hmmyes:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

VictualSquid posted:

OK, ham sandwich.

I am seriously considering adopting this insult in real life. Only thing that stops me is that most people around me are potatoes and I am not racist enough to tell the difference between us and the ham sandwiches on first glance.

Maybe if you got skull measurements tattooed somewhere that might help...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Xanderkish posted:

Disco Elysium doesn't feel exploitative to me. It feels like something that's very personal and real, without being sensationalistic about it.

Same. I appreciate that it is actually mature, or adult, whereas most "mature" content is depressingly juvenile and superficial.

The last time I've felt like that was a Croteam game, of all things. The snippets of mails, diary entries, and chat logs in The Talos Principle were written in a way that made the characters feel very human, unwilling to directly directly mention the looming apocalypse that would kill them all in the end. I have never before played a game that felt so utterly bleak and desolate, and it's a first person puzzle game of all things…

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

"Ham sandwich race" was creatively insulting.

Just beat it with the "Thinker" archtype and started doing well after getting the "Guillaume le Million" thought helped smooth over my lack of psyche stats. I ended up finishing it with Cuno becoming a junior detective and had a good laugh at that ending, and the phasmid part was magical when it happened. I was sad that I didn't get to talk to Kim, as he got hit by the mercenary's bullet. All of that stuff at the end about how you were a gym teacher and were happy, then your ex put impossibly high living standards that your salary couldn't match plus the stress of the job she wanted you to have. During most of the game I was trying to figure out what she did that made Harry turn out the way he did, and the explanation during the Dolores Dei dream summarizing the answer: "she was middle class" really hit harder than I thought it would. I felt like it should have been just a *little* bit longer, as the Tribunal part, as well as the fallout from it was over too fast and the game was pushing me to finish things off. It was such a good game and I'll definitely want to replay this as another copotype in the future. I am curious to know how much stuff I missed, which is probably a *lot*.

I am curious about one thing that was ambiguous: did your character try to conceive children with your ex and she had miscarriages, or did she actually abort your child because you are a member of the working class? That part seemed exceedingly cruel if it was the latter.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 16, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Entorwellian posted:

I am curious about one thing that was ambiguous:
Did you talk to the Hanged Man and have Encyclopedia chime in when he asked you what he reminded you of?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Entorwellian posted:

I am curious about one thing that was ambiguous: did your character try to conceive children with your ex and she had miscarriages, or did she actually abort your child because you are a member of the working class? That part seemed exceedingly cruel if it was the latter.

it's almost definitely not the latter. "dolores" is the personification of harry's madonna/whore complex over dora ingerlund, and very little of what she says is an accurate depiction of the woman herself. it's why dolores keeps pleading with harry to stop thinking of her this way and let her be an actual human in between her bouts of matter-of-fact pity and sneering animus. class issues did play a part in their breakup, but harry's blown out every part of their relationship into this towering, world-ending thing that's eaten up all the remaining space in his head, hence why he tried to drink himself into Nowhereland to get rid of it all

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Oxxidation posted:

it's almost definitely not the latter. "dolores" is the personification of harry's madonna/whore complex over dora ingerlund, and very little of what she says is an accurate depiction of the woman herself. it's why dolores keeps pleading with harry to stop thinking of her this way and let her be an actual human in between her bouts of matter-of-fact pity and sneering animus. class issues did play a part in their breakup, but harry's blown out every part of their relationship into this towering, world-ending thing that's eaten up all the remaining space in his head, hence why he tried to drink himself into Nowhereland to get rid of it all

Ah. That puts it into perspective a bit more.

I really like how the very few instances of combat are done in the game too, where you are having to make choices second by second and things are happening fast. I've never played anything quite like it, except for Planescape: Torment. Disco Elysium really feels like a breath of fresh air; it's so innovative in every area that I think other RPG's are going to have to play catch-up.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

Not that anyone in this thread is doing it but I wish people would think a bit more about unreliable narrators and subject perspective when it comes to understanding things like this. People really seem to struggle with ideologies being explicitly present in this game (and they're never quite 1:1 with our world either) or that the main character may who has amnesia might not be the most reliable source of information.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I think turning combat into a text-based system actually makes a lot of sense for giving fights weight. In a game like Dragon Age, every battle is essentially a puzzle with only one allowable outcome -- you win. Your health, exp, and number of items may be different at the end, but it's straightforward, and as a consequence there's a bit less tension, because every time you fail, you reload, unless you're doing an iron man run. Plus combat tends to involve near identical fights with near identical enemies

Combat in Disco Elysium is much more dramatic, because it's rare, and it's based around a range of possible decisions where every one of them can change the trajectory of the fight. Plus, having them be based around chance modified by your skill adds to the tension and makes your build a lot more consequential. If you put points into Intelligence instead of strength in Baldur's gate, it just means you get to be a cool rear end mage instead of a fighter. In Disco Elysium, it means you're more likely to fumble with your gun when lives are on the line.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Dreylad posted:

Not that anyone in this thread is doing it but I wish people would think a bit more about unreliable narrators and subject perspective when it comes to understanding things like this. People really seem to struggle with ideologies being explicitly present in this game (and they're never quite 1:1 with our world either) or that the main character may who has amnesia might not be the most reliable source of information.

There's no outside source for confirmation, the other end of this is elevating an interpretation of events as being canonical simply because it's the interpretation you like.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My interpretation is Harry's ex shot JFK.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
The signs are all there, you cowards

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Antigravitas posted:

Same. I appreciate that it is actually mature, or adult, whereas most "mature" content is depressingly juvenile and superficial.

The last time I've felt like that was a Croteam game, of all things. The snippets of mails, diary entries, and chat logs in The Talos Principle were written in a way that made the characters feel very human, unwilling to directly directly mention the looming apocalypse that would kill them all in the end. I have never before played a game that felt so utterly bleak and desolate, and it's a first person puzzle game of all things…

Thanks for reminding me of how much I love that game. The bleakness of the world being presented for you is amazing, my favorite moment is the audio log where the lead scientist realizes the simulation is wrong, but the disease is killing her already and she's too tired to figure out how to fix it. The tired sorrow in her knowing that, after all that, she probably failed, is one of the must gut wrenching moments I've experienced in gaming.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Just finished the tribunal...

I failed all of the red checks except the one to save Kim. A Hardie Boy and Titus are presumably dead. What other possible outcomes are there?

I luckily saved right before it started, but dont really want to redo it over again until my next playthrough.

Re: Ruby and Klassje

I let both of them go. I didnt really feel the need to arrest either of them just for lying or staging the lynching. Dont believe either killed him.

Kim got upset I didnt arrest them. Two questions?

1. Would arresting Klassje have changed the tribunal? If so, how?

2. I assume the only thing gained by arresting Ruby (if she allows you to without killing herself) is that you are somehow protecting her from being hunted by the mob?

I don't think Ive ever been so nervous selecting dialogue options in a video game. Kudos to the design team.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

Just finished the tribunal...

I failed all of the red checks except the one to save Kim. A Hardie Boy and Titus are presumably dead. What other possible outcomes are there?

I luckily saved right before it started, but dont really want to redo it over again until my next playthrough.

Re: Ruby and Klassje

I let both of them go. I didnt really feel the need to arrest either of them just for lying or staging the lynching. Dont believe either killed him.

Kim got upset I didnt arrest them. Two questions?

1. Would arresting Klassje have changed the tribunal? If so, how?

2. I assume the only thing gained by arresting Ruby (if she allows you to without killing herself) is that you are somehow protecting her from being hunted by the mob?

I don't think Ive ever been so nervous selecting dialogue options in a video game. Kudos to the design team.

Possible outcomes:

Perfect Tribunal: All 3 Mercs dead - Harry shot once, Kim unharmed. Titus and one Hardie boy dead.

Mediocre Tribunal: More Hardie boys die - if you fail a pre shootout red check you can get Elizabeth shot. Harry shot twice. One or two Mercs still alive.

Terrible Tribunal: Elizabeth and several Hardie boys dead. Kim hospitalized due to being shot. Harry shot twice. Two mercs still alive. If you earned The Cuno's respect he joins you as a replacement companion.

Re: Your Questions

If you arrest Klaasje then she won't leave town and leave behind a reconstructed trajectory for the bullet. No effect on the Tribunal whatsoever, though Kim seems a bit more optimistic after the Tribunal that they still have Klaasje in custody.

Ruby cannot be arrested. The two outcomes is that Ruby runs for the wind or shoots herself. If you let her go without loving with the machine/talking her down from suicide then Kim is a bit negative. He's a bit more understanding if Ruby threatened suicide. If Ruby commits suicide you have to store her body in her sleeping bag and Kim counts her as one of the total casualties from the investigation. He is most definitely not happy about her being dead, even if it was self inflicted. Ruby never really shows up or is mentioned after her escape/suicide.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 17, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Conot posted:

Possible outcomes:

Perfect Tribunal: All 3 Mercs dead - Harry shot once, Kim unharmed. Titus and one Hardie boy dead.

This is incorrect. Titus can survive the Tribunal.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

This is incorrect. Titus can survive the Tribunal.

I'm surprised - I actually reloaded the Tribunal a few times because I hosed up a really high chance roll. What's the condition on getting him to survive?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Conot posted:

I'm surprised - I actually reloaded the Tribunal a few times because I hosed up a really high chance roll. What's the condition on getting him to survive?

that's a good question because seeing these posts made me do a double take because i got elizabeth shot and killed and most of the hardie boys died but titus 100% lived

edit: i had all but titus and one other hardie boy die, elizabeth died, harry only shot once, kim unharmed, all three mercenaries dead

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Conot posted:

I did it by shooting Kortanaer in the face on the first try.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Also for the record some of the individual outcomes there aren't linked, so you can end up with a final result that's a mix of those 3 states listed.

(In my playthrough Kim and I got shot, but only 3 of the Hardies died and all the mercs died.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Conot posted:

Possible outcomes:

Mediocre Tribunal: More Hardie boys die - if you fail a pre shootout red check you can get Elizabeth shot. Harry shot twice. One or two Mercs still alive.

Terrible Tribunal: Elizabeth and several Hardie boys dead. Kim hospitalized due to being shot. Harry shot twice. Two mercs still alive. If you earned The Cuno's respect he joins you as a replacement companion.

Re: Your Questions

If you arrest Klaasje then she won't leave town and leave behind a reconstructed trajectory for the bullet. No effect on the Tribunal whatsoever, though Kim seems a bit more optimistic after the Tribunal that they still have Klaasje in custody.

If you do arrest her, does she point you in the direction of the island?

What if you arent able to find Ruby? Is there another trigger for the Tribunal or do you have to find her? I thought someone mentioned finishing the game without ever running into her?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

If you do arrest her, does she point you in the direction of the island?

What if you arent able to find Ruby? Is there another trigger for the Tribunal or do you have to find her? I thought someone mentioned finishing the game without ever running into her?

If you arrest Klaasje she kinda looks downtrodden during the arrest like her life is over, but she doesn't resist or offer any info. Kim disappears for the rest of the current day to take her in. While the fact she's in custody is referenced, no intel that I could see came from it.

So far as I know Ruby is a hard requirement - hence why the game feeds you so many rerolls for the Shivers check to find her den. I guess theoretically you could softlock if you hosed up all your rerolls and ran out of skillpoints? But the game makes it very hard to get to that point, since the bonuses you get to the roll make even low PHYS characters roll in the 90s IIRC.

But I never really ran up against a wall with Ruby, so possibly there is an alternative another goon can comment on?

Arianya fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 17, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Conot posted:

If you arrest Klaasje she kinda looks downtrodden during the arrest like her life is over, but she doesn't resist or offer any info. Kim disappears for the rest of the current day to take her in. While the fact she's in custody is referenced, no intel that I could see came from it.

So far as I know Ruby is a hard requirement - hence why the game feeds you so many rerolls for the Shivers check to find her den. I guess theoretically you could softlock if you hosed up all your rerolls and ran out of skillpoints? But the game makes it very hard to get to that point, since the bonuses you get to the roll make even low PHYS characters roll in the 90s IIRC.

But I never really ran up against a wall with Ruby, so possibly there is an alternative another goon can comment on?

How do you get tipped to the island if you arrest her?

Also, I found her den by 'teleporting' to the roof. Are there other ways?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

How do you get tipped to the island if you arrest her?

It's less tipped and more process of elimination - you and Kim discuss the case, and re-examine the shot window, and come to the conclusion the only place uninvestigated that the shot could have come from is the island, and that also lines up with no one having heard a gunshot, so even though it seems unlikely, you go there.

Teleporting to the roof is how I got in - but Shivers roll was the one that tipped me off she was in that building and kicked off trying to get in - possibly there are other ways to get tipped off?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

TommyGun85 posted:

That's an easy one: look down

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr. Dick posted:

That's an easy one: look down

this is actually the only way to find this if you're playing as a dog

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

Don't bother trying to talk them down, even just to distract them. Shoot first.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Don't bother trying to talk them down, even just to distract them. Shoot first.

Distracting them increased your red check percentage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can do a little at least. But mostly having high Motorics, being high as a kite lets you do it regardless.