Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Morpheus posted:

What confuses me is that at the end of Snack Braff ep they had what looked like a teaser for the second part (I will never forget the mouth opening inside of the teeth), like they do with most of these two-parters, so I had assumed they already filmed it.

It was probably just some leftover footage.

And you know, they already have a Jorston and a Graffin. Make the Clunt, you cowards!

And a Tervis, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1217876736039362560

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

One step closer to MBMBAM Season 2.

(And oh poo poo, Macgruber!)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

How cool!!

I'm so curious about the relationship between the McElroys and Wizards of the Coast, legally speaking. With the comic books and now this, there must be such a delicate balance between "you guys can't use official D&D terminology, this needs to be Generic Roleplaying Game" vs. "you guys are responsible for getting probably a hundred thousand people to try D&D for the first time and we want to capitalize on that." Would love to be a fly on the wall at whatever weird meetings have taken place about all that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

How cool!!

I'm so curious about the relationship between the McElroys and Wizards of the Coast, legally speaking. With the comic books and now this, there must be such a delicate balance between "you guys can't use official D&D terminology, this needs to be Generic Roleplaying Game" vs. "you guys are responsible for getting probably a hundred thousand people to try D&D for the first time and we want to capitalize on that." Would love to be a fly on the wall at whatever weird meetings have taken place about all that.

Yeah, WotC seems really open, but they've never really had to handle anything like this.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

showbiz_liz posted:

How cool!!

How’d they get around it for Harmonquest?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, WotC seems really open, but they've never really had to handle anything like this.

they just made Critical Role like an officially licensed thing (they'd previously published a book with Green Ronin but now there's an actual new dnd setting coming out set in their world), with their animated series coming out on amazon next year

I bet there are people talking with the McElroys about doing the same, they'd be dumb not to at least try to create a mutual relationship given TAZ's tremendous success

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

showbiz_liz posted:

How cool!!

They're free to do anything regarding D&D as long as they don't use any of the content (ie Faerun and characters and certain copyrighted creatures). Calling it D&D and using terms like AC or...other specific d&d terms is fine.

It's not like this is a feature film or anything like that. That said I'd be surprised if WotC havent taken notice and tries to draw up plans for a deal of some sort.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

showbiz_liz posted:

How cool!!

D&D has something called the Open Game License, which means things like mechanics and rules are essentially open source and free to use, but setting or adventure-specific stuff like character names and cities are copyrighted. In the first graphic novel Taako can still be a high elf that casts magic missile or rolls a critical hit, but stuff like Phandalin and Klarg, which are part of a published adventure book, needed to change to a generic version. I haven't read the other graphic novels but I don't think anything after Gerblins should be effected.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There were a couple location names in Rockport, but otherwise no.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Toebone posted:

D&D has something called the Open Game License, which means things like mechanics and rules are essentially open source and free to use, but setting or adventure-specific stuff like character names and cities are copyrighted. In the first graphic novel Taako can still be a high elf that casts magic missile or rolls a critical hit, but stuff like Phandalin and Klarg, which are part of a published adventure book, needed to change to a generic version.

That's interesting, thanks!

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Important note:

https://twitter.com/thezonecast/status/1217886517198315521?s=21

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

not super thrilled at the concept of the boys working with comcast but it's their show i guess

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They technically already have since SeeSo was owned by NBC

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
McElroys go on @Midnight, final episode is announced.

Seeso airs MBMBaM TV show, dies shortly thereafter.

Impending demise of Dropout is announced a few days before Tiny Heist premiers.

Goodbye Peacock

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Toebone posted:

McElroys go on @Midnight, final episode is announced.

Seeso airs MBMBaM TV show, dies shortly thereafter.

Impending demise of Dropout is announced a few days before Tiny Heist premiers.

Goodbye Peacock

Wait... they just said they would make a special guest appearance at my birthday party...

Oh no.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Toebone posted:

D&D has something called the Open Game License, which means things like mechanics and rules are essentially open source and free to use, but setting or adventure-specific stuff like character names and cities are copyrighted. In the first graphic novel Taako can still be a high elf that casts magic missile or rolls a critical hit, but stuff like Phandalin and Klarg, which are part of a published adventure book, needed to change to a generic version. I haven't read the other graphic novels but I don't think anything after Gerblins should be effected.

In Rockport they're on a train to Eversummer, which is pretty funny.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
God drat that’s crazy. Hope the series gets picked up and we also get more MBMBAM!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Happy for the show but I am deeply saddened that the show will most likely not include Magnus eating a deep fried unicorn dick. RIP

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Wait... they just said they would make a special guest appearance at my birthday party...

Oh no.

My condolences, but you've been cancelled.

*pulls out gun*

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

thecluckmeme posted:

Happy for the show but I am deeply saddened that the show will most likely not include Magnus eating a deep fried unicorn dick. RIP

Yeah if they sanitize it I will be sad. Keep in all the jizz cave jokes

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Draw the cum caves, animators. Extra drippy.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

They better keep that part where Magnus is climbing the magic rope in Pedals and his pants fall down and his dick flops out

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

blast0rama posted:

How’d they get around it for Harmonquest?

Harmon quest was officially sponsored by pathfinder, I think, and from what I remember they'd go out of their way to avoid saying DnD

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I wonder if they’re going to use the original audio or actually come into the studio to re-record a punched up polished script. My guess would be the latter.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I wonder if they’re going to use the original audio or actually come into the studio to re-record a punched up polished script. My guess would be the latter.

They will need to do new recordings.

My biggest question would be: will Griffin voice all the NPCs or will they bring in new actors?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think (and would hope) that any of them would be voicing the main characters. This way the show could cast women for the female roles, for example.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I wonder if they're prepared to animate the car battle.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't think (and would hope) that any of them would be voicing the main characters. This way the show could cast women for the female roles, for example.

Why not? I would hope at least the player characters would do their own voices, with griffin maybe doing a few NPCs like angus. I agree they should get voice actors for most of the other roles, especially the women. Maybe they can even lure Tom Arnold in

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If there is a separate writer, I'm going to assume it's like the graphic novel and not a 1:1 transplant of the podcast and that there will be many new words.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It wouldn't be TAZ if they weren't voicing the characters. Still, I imagine they'll do guest voices for NPCs so Griffin doesn't have to do everything, and then just have DM sequences out of the narrative where Griffin can play himself. If it's set up like the graphic novels, that seems to be a good tone for it. Or maybe they'll do in-character voice actors and out of character Good Good Boys playing themselves.

I really hope Garfield is voiced by Griffin though, and that he looks like that fanart someone posted a while back of the awesome Taako switcheroo for the sword.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Raserys posted:

I've just gotten very into Lancer recently and really want to see/hear it in actual play

Yeah, hearing other people playing the game does a lot for helping me understand them better.

Though given how much of Lancer is about the map.and tactical crunchy map combat I'm not sure how entertaining of a show you could make out of it. I know it's the reason Friends at the Table keeps putting off doing it for their show.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Since the description of the show mentions the "long-suffering DM" as a character, I imagine that Griffin will be playing himself, Justin, Travis, and Clint will play their characters, and everyone else will have a new voice actor. That's the way I'd want it anyway.

change my name posted:

They better keep that part where Magnus is climbing the magic rope in Pedals and his pants fall down and his dick flops out

And then a vine climbs up and rips it off, and he doesn't have a dick for a little while.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Taako should be played by their friend who Justin based the voice on.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Who will Mr. James Buffett guest star as?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

He won't physically appear but his name will show up in the black book of a bad guy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They gotta get Tom Bodett

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sankis posted:

He won't physically appear but his name will show up in the black book of a bad guy

Wow that's, wow.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Sankis posted:

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

They gotta get Tom Bodett

Absolutely