Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:allears:

That is wonderfully advanced

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ellebrigitte/status/1217528699467288577

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yes

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

The little sun room near the kitchen that’s not there most of the time and is only seen in a handful of episodes always fucks me up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's in literally every episode though???

(it's the room homer runs into from the garage in the intro)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

You’re correct but I’m still angry.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
There ain't no sun room and there never was!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Oh wait, there it is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Why do they have two living rooms....? I feel like that space could be better utilized.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Literally Kermit posted:

Oh wait, there it is.
room working as advertised

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why do they have two living rooms....? I feel like that space could be better utilized.

One for family and one for entertaining.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

Oh wait, there it is.
I always kinda coveted this room... it looks cosy :3:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One is the "family room" or "den" and the other is the living room.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a Boomer thing you got to do when you actually had square footage to spare

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

A living room, a family room, and absolutely no clue what the difference is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Supposedly, there was actually a difference before they all became "the television room".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

When had that first floor bathroom ever shown up? Also the basement stairs always move around. Sometimes they're in the foyer, other times they're next to the kitchen.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I always thought of it as the Living Room is where your family lives in and the Family Room is where you entertain visiting families.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Android Apocalypse posted:

I always thought of it as the Living Room is where your family lives in and the Family Room is where you entertain visiting families.

That is like the opposite. As least when I was growing up in a split-level: the family room on the 1st floor was for the TV, living room was next to the dining room and kitchen on the 2nd floor so you could transition into coffee and talking before dessert on the big saturday dinner.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

You enter the living room when you want to live and the family room when... something something. I don't remember the joke I was going to make.

Anyway I did a Simpsons watch a year or two ago and got through season 1 to 7. I dropped out halfway season 7 because it just lost a lot of the magic and it was starting to feel very tired, I have no idea why. I think it was the point when they stopped having plots and started to have a series of scenes that were adjacent set ups for jokes, all loosely thread together.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

GoutPatrol posted:

so you could transition into coffee and talking before dessert

Ah, the ol' eat 'n coff

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Anyway I did a Simpsons watch a year or two ago and got through season 1 to 7. I dropped out halfway season 7 because it just lost a lot of the magic and it was starting to feel very tired, I have no idea why. I think it was the point when they stopped having plots and started to have a series of scenes that were adjacent set ups for jokes, all loosely thread together.
You can really see the progression of the Seasons like this:

4 -- Everything is firing on all cylinders and in as perfect a balance as you'll ever get
5 -- Things go bigger and wackier; Homer goes to space, Bart gets an Elephant, etc.
6 -- Still out there but they make a dedicated effort to scale back and keep character dynamics the focus, even if the plots are still pretty escalated and wild
7 -- Throwing whatever at the wall-- Grandpa Abe's WWII adventure, Troy McClure episode, Homer's Mother, George W. Bush, gently caress it we can make it work
8 -- Finally out of steam, train is coming to a halt, the first half is still great and there are classics sprinkled til Homer's Enemy, which is basically where the show dies
9+ -- Welcome to the afterlife

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the difference is the living room is at the front of the house for entertaining guests and showing off how you live and the family room is at the back of the house for hiding how you really live.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

the difference is the living room is at the front of the house for entertaining guests and showing off how you live and the family room is at the back of the house for hiding how you really live.

So Lenny was doing it wrong?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

4 -- Everything is firing on all cylinders and in as perfect a balance as you'll ever get
5 -- Things go bigger and wackier; Homer goes to space, Bart gets an Elephant, etc.
6 -- Still out there but they make a dedicated effort to scale back and keep character dynamics the focus, even if the plots are still pretty escalated and wild
7 -- Throwing whatever at the wall-- Grandpa Abe's WWII adventure, Troy McClure episode, Homer's Mother, George W. Bush, gently caress it we can make it work
8 -- Finally out of steam, train is coming to a halt, the first half is still great and there are classics sprinkled til Homer's Enemy, which is basically where the show dies

What's the last truly good episode, then? I admit that I really like Homer versus New York City and that is in season nine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick posted:

What's the last truly good episode, then? I admit that I really like Homer versus New York City and that is in season nine.

Would it surprise you to learn that the Homer Vs NYC episode was a holdover from the S8 production cycle? Cause it was, and I'd personally consider it the last great episode.

That's not to say S9+ are totally bereft of moments or value, but like if we were somehow hard rationing hard drive space for a nuclear vault and could only save so many episodes, then S9E2-- Principal and the Pauper-- is where I would draw the line and let stuff like Real Estate Lionel Hutz and Powersauce just vanish into the ether.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pick posted:

Trilogy of Error. But everything around it is crap and it's a gimmick episode so it's really just an accident. I don't know what the last great episode before that one was; City of New York is a good choice.

I have a different opinion on the specific episode that marks the moment the show went to poo poo, though. Lots of people think it's The Principal and the Pauper but that one's still pretty solidly written and has some great jokes ("okay, then why is grandpa here?"). Season 9 as a whole is definitely worse than 8, but it's still not utter crap yet. The turning point for me is in Season 10, with When You Dish Upon A Star:

quote:

Guest stars: Alec Baldwin, Kim Basinger, Ron Howard, and Brian Grazer[57]

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 17, 2020

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sagebrush posted:

Season 10, with When You Dish Upon A Star

complete and utter trash

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Yup. Homer goes to space was the last one I remember. The "How is the launch going" "All these machines are for TV ratings" gag had me falling out of my chair.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I've got a real soft spot for "E-I-E-I-D'oh" in season 11. I think the B-52 "Glove Slap" song is atrocious, but I can't help loving Tomacco and The Poke of Zorro.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Like a downstairs bathroom

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
my first edit... almost 3 years old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyd-uL7gONU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Glumslinger posted:

Like a downstairs bathroom

If you look carefully...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The layout of the Simpsons house, and Springfield in general, is deliberately inconsistent. They've occasionally pointed it out within episodes.

I think they're supposed to be the precarious middle class, becoming ever more of an anachronism; Homer's job pays well presumably but they're bad with money on top of being unlucky, and the house is big but not as good as it looks, with thin walls and poor wiring and plumbing. (And in one of the future episodes, while every other house in the neighbourhood has fancy renovations, the Simpsons house... doesn't) Springfield is pretty consistently shown to be a crappy place to live and the Simpsons are not in one of the good neighbourhoods, with little public transport and a local government with a history of blowing money on boondoggles rather than basic amenities, and the public school is brutally underfunded with burnt-out staff.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I actually wonder if some point they'll update the Simpsons to renting their house. The same way Homer went from being an uncool dad who didn't understand gen-x teens, to having had a grunge band when he was younger.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They also have Homer himself subtly mock it in the Frank Grimes episode:

Frank Grimes: "Good heavens! This...this is a palace! How in the world can you afford to live in a house like this, Simpson?"
Homer (chuckling): "I dunno, don't ask me how the economy works."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Simps were supposed to be working class, having to carefully save and rely on a christmas bonus to afford presents. It's just that the economy has been destroyed since the 80s. Plus to get setups for episodes you need the family to go do things, implying disposable income.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Didn't grandpa pay the deposit by selling the house he built won on a crooked '50s game show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When they built the Simpsons house for real, it was 200m². In my city, that's easily a million bucks, even in lovely areas (though the property market in my country is all hosed up)