Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Note: You will almost certainly not be able to play at even a steady 60 depending on your rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Imhotep posted:

I haven’t posted this in a while but everyone into dark souls needs to see this https://youtu.be/TrbDD7onr0o

The gesturing. I'm CRYING laughing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Fighting Pontiff without a shield/parries was a lot of fun. I can't help but feel that he's a bit misplaced. It seems like he should be fought after Aldrich and the Dancer instead of before them. Your first time through you don't get a sense of just how big his influence was on Lothric until long after you've killed him. He feels like a more fitting end goal than Twin Princes imo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

He's also really fuckin hard so that would definitely be a pretty good place for him

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pontiff is very cheesable imo. Run away from him to bait his bigass lunge attack, parry it, repeat. He usually repeats whatever attack his JoJo Stand uses so you can react accordingly. All of his poo poo can be parried with practice, use a fast shield.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is the parry window much smaller in DS3 compared to DS1?

I could never pull off parries reliably in DS3, and in DS1 it seems to work if you start your parry as soon as the enemy starts the attack.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

axolotl farmer posted:

Is the parry window much smaller in DS3 compared to DS1?

I could never pull off parries reliably in DS3, and in DS1 it seems to work if you start your parry as soon as the enemy starts the attack.
It's ridiculously easy to parry in DS1 compared to the other games, the window is much longer and all medium shields are so good at it that a dedicated parry shield barely adds anything. You're not making things up!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's not so much the parry window but the fact that every game after DS1 added significant startup to the parry animation before the actual parry begins (the window is shorter too especially when not using good parrying tools). In DS1 and DeS it's indeed pretty much instant. Hell, in DeS you can still parry something while being hit by it in some cases. It's extremely forgiving.

Try your luck with a dedicated parrying shield in DS3.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 20, 2020

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Wex dust mod and some friends getting into this for a first time got me back into a new run, I don't suppose anyone here has a pile of vertebrae shackles they could drop me?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I beat the pontiff fair and square my first playthrough and then in all subsequent runs I just summoned two phantoms which completely trivialized him, moreso than most difficult bosses.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

The Protagonist posted:

Wex dust mod and some friends getting into this for a first time got me back into a new run, I don't suppose anyone here has a pile of vertebrae shackles they could drop me?

You can't drop covenant rank items. But the host gets a shackle if they kill a mound maker, so you could have someone password purple sign down and then let you kill them over and over to get them.

The Moon Monster posted:

I beat the pontiff fair and square my first playthrough and then in all subsequent runs I just summoned two phantoms which completely trivialized him, moreso than most difficult bosses.

If you are doing the questlines and use dried finger, you can actually summon all 3 NPCs right outside Pontiff. Even at really low levels this makes it laughably easy.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Logan 5 posted:

You can't drop covenant rank items. But the host gets a shackle if they kill a mound maker, so you could have someone password purple sign down and then let you kill them over and over to get them

Playing with him now as a summoned mad spirit and if he kills me he's not getting a shackle. What the heck

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

The Protagonist posted:

Playing with him now as a summoned mad spirit and if he kills me he's not getting a shackle. What the heck

Maybe wikis are lying to me then and it is only if the host is invaded that they get it?

I guess you could always just do the opposite and have the host let you kill them, so long as they can afford the embers. Or they could just dupe their save and then copy/paste it back afterwards if they can't.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Protagonist posted:

What stone are you using? The red sign stone should definitely reward killing the host with a shackle. I’m not sure about the white sign stone, that might only reward you for killing other phantoms.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

skasion posted:

What stone are you using? The red sign stone should definitely reward killing the host with a shackle. I’m not sure about the white sign stone, that might only reward you for killing other phantoms.

Oh right, totally forgot about the existence of that one. Also thought Yuria had it for sale but nope, buried in the cathedral.

My boy was chugging estus two days ago on iudex when he meant to attack, took maybe twenty attempts and nearly wanted to quit...

..last night we clear deacons, watchers and wolnir in one go each :allears: I think he's hooked

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I don’t know why I stopped playing this. I made a new character and have gone past where my last character was. Everything in Irythyll beats my cheeks if I get hit. Using the greataxe with the demon fist in the offhand and the parry windows are interesting. I get ripostes off but still take damage. Just doing it too late I suppose?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Darth Depardieu?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

to this day there is nothing that fills me with a greater sense of satisfaction than slowly but surely killing a host who keeps summoning multiple overleveled phantoms and calling bluecops

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 3, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

to this day there is nothing that fills me with a greater sense of satisfaction than slowly but surely killing a host who keeps summoning multiple overleveled phantoms and calling bluecops

:zombie::hf::zombie:
Murder is good, yo, especially against shitters like that who you know would get eaten alive if they weren't piggybacking off phantoms. Like, why even play the game if you're literally just going to sit back and watch someone else do all the work for you. I see a depressing amount of people who have clearly just refused to engage with the game's systems whatsoever because they can't even fight the basic mobs on their own after their phantoms are killed off.

Pro-tip: just stand near a cliff or ladder and watch them invariably fall off cause they're incompetent. I have literally given up, tossed myself off a cliff, and still won because the entire conga-line of phantoms and host lemming-ed after me to their deaths.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 3, 2020

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I have just encountered dark eater gently caress face and legit had a five minute fight where I missed every attack I did

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

:zombie::hf::zombie:
Murder is good, yo, especially against shitters like that who you know would get eaten alive if they weren't piggybacking off phantoms. Like, why even play the game if you're literally just going to sit back and watch someone else do all the work for you. I see a depressing amount of people who have clearly just refused to engage with the game's systems whatsoever because they can't even fight the basic mobs on their own after their phantoms are killed off.
This sounds uncomfortably elitist.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amppelix posted:

Welcome to a Dark Souls thread

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Amppelix posted:

This sounds uncomfortably douchey.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Amppelix posted:

there's nothing good about people having overleveled phantoms play through the whole game for them. these games are supposed to be at least a bit of a challenge and you're not getting any of that that way. invaders are the natural way to bring challenge back once people remove it from the game proper.

I recently killed some guy's phantom, invading at sl40(so the host would be roughly sl35-50), and got 28,000 souls from him. as an invader you get souls equal to 4% of what it last cost that person to level up.
which means that phantom was around sl 278. just flattening every earlygame enemy for this guy, what kinda experience is that?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The one that guy wanted, you elitist idiot. Stop acting like you are doing some noble service by invading.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

The one that guy wanted, you elitist idiot. Stop acting like you are doing some noble service by invading.

If he's playin dark souls in a way where he can be invaded, then he also wants an experience where all of his friends are sliced into bits along with him :darksouls:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Aidan_702 posted:

I have just encountered dark eater gently caress face and legit had a five minute fight where I missed every attack I did

He's the hardest boss in the game imo. Insanely high HP and he can easily oneshot you

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

1redflag posted:

invading is literally the balancing factor for the advantage you get from being able to summon and has been in this whole series

also the one that guy wanted is dumb as poo poo. nobody should be able to summon someone level 200+ when they're at the start of the game.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

MeatwadIsGod posted:

He's the hardest boss in the game imo. Insanely high HP and he can easily oneshot you

I’d at least like to shot him once :sad hollow gif:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

IronicDongz posted:

invading is literally the balancing factor for the advantage you get from being able to summon and has been in this whole series

also the one that guy wanted is dumb as poo poo. nobody should be able to summon someone level 200+ when they're at the start of the game.

Why do you care?

Nobody that matters is impressed with “challenge” in a souls game. Who cares if someone needs or wants to summon all the phantoms they can? The balance is enemies getting buffed HP. It’s not git gudders invading.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Look Sir Droids posted:

Why do you care?
a). it's fun to try and win when you're outnumbered 3-4 to 1
b). it's depressing to see players which are either new steamroll the game and not really experience any of it because their overleveled phantoms are doing everything for them, or alternatively players that are clearly not new gank invaders nonstop

Look Sir Droids posted:

The balance is enemies getting buffed HP. It’s not git gudders invading.
it literally is, that's why the state that lets you summon is also the state that lets you get invaded. the risk of invasion is a balancing factor for the ability to summon help. (also enemy HP barely changes at all with summons.)

also what I was originally talking about wasn't really "summoning", it was about being able to password summon your overleveled friends who're wearing havel's and casting crystal soul spear at the same time while you're level 30 or whatever and have them play the game for you.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not to mention the person being summoned has their stats scaled down if they're that far out above the level range of the host.

They'll still have the option of later-game gear and spells and so on, but any scaling on those will be commensurately tanked. Health in particular takes a very obvious hit from that scale-down.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they have their attack and health scaled down but not that much. people using big boy weapons and spells that are out of the stat range of earlygame stuff still hit way loving harder than what is available to the host, you run into stuff like people with ledo's great hammer that can kill most players from full with an r1-r1 combo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you cheated not only the game, but yourself

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Imagine thinking that playing video games isn’t a huge waste of time and that there is some underlying benefit other than enjoying yourself. Just imagine

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

The balance is enemies getting buffed HP. It’s not git gudders invading.
It totally is. Why else does having a summon in your world drastically increase your priority on the invasion list?

I don't have a problem with having fun by overcoming overwhelming odds in invasions, but neither should you have a problem with people playing the game however the hell they feel like. No need to post sneerily about the babies playing the game wrong. How do you even know that they aren't, say, playing the game with friends on voice and having a chill time? Surely that's not the experience FROM particularly designed the game around, but it is one they allow to happen, and that's great.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they also allow me to bonk them off the bridge in catacombs during their chill coop sesh which is considerably more great

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Aidan_702 posted:

After each attack, run up to Midir and boop his nose. Once.

Retreat. Dodge. Boop. Retreat. Dodge. Boop.

The worst part is staying patient and never be greedy with attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

I've recently been feeling a rerun of this game coming along, and wondering if it's possible to start the game with all weapons (or at least, some specific ones)? Is there a mod that does this? Is it even possible without eating a ban?