Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seams posted:

Dave keeps bringing up porcupines when the vintner’s cage comes up and it makes me laugh

Welcome to Dave Meltzer's Nature Facts

"Porcupines have teeth"

This has been Dave Meltzer's Nature Facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Welcome to Dave Meltzer's Nature Facts

"Porcupines have teeth"

This has been Dave Meltzer's Nature Facts

Subscribe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

That doesn't really explain like the Cornette or Tessa stuff though.

I get it. Dave's an old guy set in his ways who doesn't get it. Lots of people have been listening to him for a long time and while they're uncomfortable with him when he does stuff like that they know they're gonna keep listening so they gotta kinda get past it without just assuming the worst. Others are noticing the pattern and its taking affect. It is what it is.

"Cancel culture" isn't actually a thing that happens. Its just that popular acts/people sometimes wear down their fans' resolve over time with bad takes/behavior until they're no longer fans. Meltzer's probably got a lot of rope just based on how established he is as the bar for his thing for anyone seeking it out. edit: And he's probably unlikely to ever really cross the line and say something really outrageously bad himself that would really get him "cancelled."
Wow, you fuckin' nailed it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1218014691093467136

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It being Bryan I can almost believe he actually thinks that's how the numbers work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beautiful :allears:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
The B&V show generally drops while I'm at work, is there a way to get an update when it's been uploaded, rather than refreshing their site?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Wazzu posted:

The B&V show generally drops while I'm at work, is there a way to get an update when it's been uploaded, rather than refreshing their site?

Overcast updates automatically

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If you’re using a computer rather than phone you could get an rss plugin for your browser that auto-detects updates to a feed

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Beautiful, Bryan. Beautiful.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"Vince failed"

Inject that poo poo straight into my veins.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

"Vince failed"

Inject that poo poo straight into my veins.

quote:

They [AEW] clearly have the momentum now. It doesn't matter anymore in a sense when they signed that TV deal... ya'know if you get complacent in this business you'll lose and all that. But when they signed that deal, honestly when they signed deal on Wednesday morning, it was kinda like (and it's not like the war is over, but) Vince failed. He failed.

The whole idea was to drive their number down and make them weak and make them go away. And they ain't going away. Say whatever you want, but the battle plan, why all of this happened, was not just to win but to drive them down so they could not get significant money when their contract was up. Not only did they not have to wait a couple of years for the contract to be up, they're getting the number now. They are going to be a success now.

It's interesting because the whole NXT is Paul Levesque's thing. And it's very well-received by the hardcore fan. And hey, I like NXT almost every week. There's also weaknesses. And the reality of NXT is that they are not capturing younger viewers. This week was very low and the week before was very low. They are not capturing the younger viewers. And no matter what you say, this is the Paul Levesque track record of the guy who's going to take over and all that. And in the long run, you got to get those young viewers. You don't want to be horse-racing and you don't want to be boxing, especially when your competition is getting the young viewers.

I thought this was going to be this thing where we're going in there for two years or year-and-a-half mark, and if the numbers were good they'd get either a good TV deal or a bad deal, perhaps they even get cancelled, perhaps they get a great deal. But we didn't have to wait a year-and-a-half to reach that point. In three months they got a deal. Maybe they signed a lower deal then they could have gotten, but they got the vote of confidence. Everybody who said that they were gonna go out of business, they're not. They're gonna fail? They didn't fail. I think that might've been part of the whole thing. They're here for the long haul, they're gonna have money, and they're the number two company in the world. That TV deal all by itself grosses more than New Japan grosses from everything. New Japan was number two, so financially, they're number two, right now, three months into their TV run. So quicker than we expected.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If anything Vince is strengthening AEW’s position by running NXT against it. Just by creating a more viable environment to create viewers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oh man it'd be the most amazing thing ever if HHH ends up not taking over when Vince dies cause NXT lost badly against AEW

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

quote:

That TV deal all by itself grosses more than New Japan grosses from everything.

I found this bit interesting.

good jorb AEW

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
New Japan is pretty stupid when it comes to making money tbf

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

If anything Vince is strengthening AEW’s position by running NXT against it. Just by creating a more viable environment to create viewers.

Definitely not. AEW viewers will switch to NXT during breaks and after the show. NXT very rarely sees viewers move to AEW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Every year they increase their profits (while remaining beloved by the fans to boot!) so they're clearly doing something right.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Problem New Japan has is no big money US TV deal and I'm not sure they'll be able to get that even though it's real good content

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Definitely not. AEW viewers will switch to NXT during breaks and after the show. NXT very rarely sees viewers move to AEW.

right, what I'm getting at is the initial set of viewers for AEW or NXT were people that already knew about wrestling. For the first time in a long while, new wrestling viewers are being created. And I think in part its the comparative glut of wrestling on wednesday tv.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

it's more that they don't have the American TV pinata to whack with a stick.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

NXT very rarely sees viewers move to AEW.

How are they going to do that when they have to call their grandkids over to explain the remote to them every time?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Problem New Japan has is no big money US TV deal and I'm not sure they'll be able to get that even though it's real good content

Unless they're able to put together a live prime time show they won't get anywhere near the same kind of deal TNT or Fox have given out, and barring their New Japan Of America shows becoming much bigger, that probably wouldn't be able to fit into their touring schedule.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I Before E posted:

Unless they're able to put together a live prime time show they won't get anywhere near the same kind of deal TNT or Fox have given out, and barring their New Japan Of America shows becoming much bigger, that probably wouldn't be able to fit into their touring schedule.

Even than I think it's probably super hard given it's a foreign company producing wrestling and welp that probably is poison to TV execs

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I assume Japanese TV deals are less money because people still watch other shows live there?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I assume Japanese TV deals are less money because people still watch other shows live there?

Nah it's more that Japanese TV doesn't have Cable like the states so you have less networks needing and paying for content to drive up rights fees . You have the broadcast TV stations and some premium cable/satellite stations but not the 100's of Basic cable stations needing content and paying for said content to keep subscribers. Add in the fact that the broadcast Networks still hold major power over content/time slots despite streaming growing and it's a case where New Japan feels lucky to have Broadcast TV in it's late night time slot even though it gets paid little for it cause it could be worse. They could be airing it for free like some late night anime or even be off TV

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is NJPW's channel and time slot still poo poo over there these days?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Jerusalem posted:

Every year they increase their profits (while remaining beloved by the fans to boot!) so they're clearly doing something right.

And yet, if a Westerner wants to buy a non-tshirt piece of merchandise like this, they have to pay a huge premium to have a 3rd party distributor send it out. It’s too much hassle to give New Japan my money.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean that they are monetizing their product very effectively.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But it DOES mean that they're not stupid at making money!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean that they are monetizing their product very effectively.

That seems like a point in their favor to me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't know dick about their finances, but going into their Superbowl with no context whatsoever, I was never lost despite the language and culture barriers and I wanted more immediately.

If they're not making a lot of money, something fucky's happening and it likely doesn't have much to do with the company.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nah it's more that Japanese TV doesn't have Cable like the states so you have less networks needing and paying for content to drive up rights fees . You have the broadcast TV stations and some premium cable/satellite stations but not the 100's of Basic cable stations needing content and paying for said content to keep subscribers. Add in the fact that the broadcast Networks still hold major power over content/time slots despite streaming growing and it's a case where New Japan feels lucky to have Broadcast TV in it's late night time slot even though it gets paid little for it cause it could be worse. They could be airing it for free like some late night anime or even be off TV

It's even worse because the way Japanese TV wrestling works, New Japan owns literally none of their video library, so they can't move channels without losing all 40 years of history and can't monetize it without giving a hefty cut to their TV partner or negotiate independently for international broadcast rights.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Put that cigarette out.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1219163940120297472

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That screenshot reminds me how much I miss the chaotic feeling that WWF/E used to have (and that thankfully AEW is doing a good job of trying to realize), just that screenshot alone things look insane and if you watch the actual promo there's like 1000 things all going on at once and they're all incredible.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NJPW does their business off live gates and merch sales AFAIK. Its different than US promotions that are driven by their TV deals and when they usually lose that, they're so overextended without the TV money the promotion folds.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

e: sorry I need to steal a new trackball

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Why couldn’t Coward Tony/Coward Jericho just pay for Vinny to get on the drat cruise? He’s stuck up in Canada in the middle of Winter.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I usually don't post Mature Listeners in this thread but this episode NienNunb and I talk about WK14 and AEW in addition to our regular topic, early 90s DC comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I cannot believe this podcast was hidden from me or I missed a post about it. I will listen today