Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RDJ talked about wing chun on the Rogan show. As a former chun dabbler now grappling person it was uh, interesting that he's still super into it even as an MMA fan. At 1hr30secs if it doesn't link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XTDmm0KUQ&t=3634s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DandyLion posted:

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!

No worries. Also feel free to come post in the Involuntary Yoga (BJJ) thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dave Grool posted:

RDJ talked about wing chun on the Rogan show. As a former chun dabbler now grappling person it was uh, interesting that he's still super into it even as an MMA fan.
I feel like UFC's made it easier to do traditional martial arts, because it's made it so clear that to do well in an MMA context your game has to be really comprehensive. You have to be at least decent at all the things simultaneously, just being decent at judo or wrestling or boxing alone won't be enough. So if even the Olympic sports won't get you ready for the ~real thing~ why not spend your evenings doing points karate or ancient (read: 19th century) weapons and feeling like a cool ninja instead?

I'm in it for the cool ninja aesthetic and none of you can convince me I'm not cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dave Grool posted:

RDJ talked about wing chun on the Rogan show. As a former chun dabbler now grappling person it was uh, interesting that he's still super into it even as an MMA fan. At 1hr30secs if it doesn't link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XTDmm0KUQ&t=3634s

If nothing else, I definitely see WC influence on his fighting technique in Sherlock Holmes.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The big thing that jumped out at me was he said it took him years of practicing on the wooden dummy to learn not to fight force on force, which is something you learn pretty drat quick in grappling unless you're the biggest dude in the room.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really want to spar more. I want there to be sparring after every class! Who cares about fancy bonus forms or whatever-the-gently caress, I want to fight people. Once a week is not enough.

Considering also joining the Muay Thai place a town over just because they have sparring on a night I'm not already doing kung fu.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you have the cash and time, you should cross train.
I would suspect good gyms (is it Team Link?) wouldn't let you attend just sparring nights without some careful review by the coaches.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Why do many MT fighters (it seems Thai mostly) who train out of Fairtex change their last name to Fairtex?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Why do many MT fighters (it seems Thai mostly) who train out of Fairtex change their last name to Fairtex?

So I'm not 100% certain but from what I remember, it tends to be because of a mix honor/promotion of the gym/sponsorship.

Remember that in Thailand there are kids who essentially are given away to a Muay Thai gym at like 8 to train to become a champion/make money to send home to their parents so the gym has a vested interest.

Outside of Fairtex guys, there's people like the legendary Buakaw Por. Pramuk who changed their name so their last name is the gyms name (Buakaw fought out of Por. Pramuk Gym). He had a falling out with Por. Pramuk and changed gyms so his "ring name" changed to Buakaw Banchamek.

Sometimes they get actual sponsors (since in most Thai Muay Thai fights you don't see a bunch of ads on their shorts), so the name is a way to get their sponsor some notice at the fight. However, not all gyms are big enough to get sponsors/have their fighters change their names so it's not a universal thing in Thailand. It's just common for the upper echelon fighters.

Also Thai last names are like super individualized, so there's no equivalent of like a Smith or Johnson in Thailand.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 23, 2020

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

kimbo305 posted:

If you have the cash and time, you should cross train.
I would suspect good gyms (is it Team Link?) wouldn't let you attend just sparring nights without some careful review by the coaches.

I think if I drop the extra kung fu module I should be able to afford it. They only do Muy Thai one night a week, so technically every night is sparring night, although yeah I'm fine if it takes a little while to get to the point where I'm sparring so long as I eventually get to.

I don't know about the quality, though - they are normally a kenpo place. They offer two free classes so I figure it can't hurt to check it out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I think if I drop the extra kung fu module I should be able to afford it. They only do Muy Thai one night a week, so technically every night is sparring night, although yeah I'm fine if it takes a little while to get to the point where I'm sparring so long as I eventually get to.

I don't know about the quality, though - they are normally a kenpo place. They offer two free classes so I figure it can't hurt to check it out.

Link the gym -- there's a couple quasi locals.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Thanks for that explanation Mekchu, that question popped into my head while watching the most recent ONE card

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Link the gym -- there's a couple quasi locals.

https://etherealarts-sd.com/programs/muay-thai-kickboxing/

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

That looks really bad, man

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

quidditch it and quit it posted:

That looks really bad, man

Yeah, I'm a novice but thought the same, hence the "I don't really know about quality". It's the only thing around on that'll fit in my schedule though, so its like... worth it or not? Something better than nothing?

If nothing, I'll probably just get a bouldering gym membership and do that instead.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ask if you can attend a free class. Regular sparring is a good sign, but if instruction is not good, you could be getting bruised up for much less gain.
And of course it could still be better or more enjoyable than your current gym.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are you a kid? Because that's all I see on their website.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Are you a kid? Because that's all I see on their website.

The Muy Thai is "adults only", (which actually means 13+), but from what little I've seen it's mostly actual adults. Their Kenpo stuff is very kid focused though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not having some candid shots of the training from classes is definitely an orange flag for me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
To me, the most important marker of a combat sport gym is: are there people training there who compete, and compete successfully? They don't need to be producing world champions, but if people there participate in local fights or tournaments or whatever and do okay, then the gym is probably at least decent.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 24, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

The Muy Thai is "adults only", (which actually means 13+), but from what little I've seen it's mostly actual adults. Their Kenpo stuff is very kid focused though.

My comment was a bit glib, but what I was implying was that it isn't great for you, an adult, to go to a website to check out their services and see only children in the photos. It implies that adults aren't their main customers or what they focus on.

School's whose bread and butter is kids classes are often very different from those focused on adult stuff. I'd be wary.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Count Roland posted:

My comment was a bit glib, but what I was implying was that it isn't great for you, an adult, to go to a website to check out their services and see only children in the photos. It implies that adults aren't their main customers or what they focus on.

School's whose bread and butter is kids classes are often very different from those focused on adult stuff. I'd be wary.

It’s a school that does magic and provides an hour’s relief for tired parents, and have tacked “grappling” and “Muay Thai” on because that’s what is going to get them hits online.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
If you're not trolling, please find another place to do muay thai. I'm not going to put this place on blast but a quick search seems to indicate that they don't have a ton of experienced muay thai instructors there and are definitely a Kenpo place.

gently caress it.
Here they are practicing doing a breakfall while picking a weapon up off the mat.
https://www.facebook.com/ethereal.arts/videos/vb.100000052167192/3118521384826236/

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 25, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the guy in the back being forced to watch at ... chokepoint?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Not trolling. I was wary myself though after looking into it more and its good to have that backed up as not being baseless.

To make it worse, I've been asking around a bit since that original post, and apparently they go out of their way to avoid interacting with the rest of the local martial arts scene, which is also a red flag to me. AND their tai chi is... not great. I didn't even realize they did tai chi, but yeah.

So yeah, gonna give 'em a hard pass. Disappointing.

At least my main place is pretty good. I'll just have to find something else to fill the time.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 25, 2020

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Just make the trek a couple times a week to Boston and go to Sityodong.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If there was no weapon involved that breakfall would still be loving garbage

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

JaySB posted:

Just make the trek a couple times a week to Boston and go to Sityodong.

They are worth it, then? This is very doable. Looks like they aren't even in Boston, they're in Cambridge not far from where I work. They do an hour of beginners Muy Thai on Wednesdays, I could absolutely make that - hell, I could walk there if I wanted, it's only 40 minutes. I could even be able to make it in time for their regular boxing class too.

Sparring is invite only so no idea if I'd actually be able to do that part, and who knows how long that would take if I I ever did, but could be fun regardless...

I'll check them out, thanks.

In other news, it looks like I'm getting my "white belt yellow stripe" soon, which sounds exceptionally stupid and comes across as a marketing gimmick more than anything else.

The whole belt system still leaves me uneasy, and this one seems like such a waste - I'll probably keep my white belt but this one is absolutely gonna get tossed in the trash in less than three months, what is even the point? I feel like the teacher would probably be insulted if I asked if I could just save some fabric and time by using a yellow marker to draw a line on my current belt, but this whole thing is definitely the aspect I like least about the class.

What I like best is that I spent wednesday sore as gently caress from an hour of a much-harder-than-normal class followed by like an hour of sparring. That part was wonderful, I got my rear end kicked a lot and loved every second of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

They are worth it, then? This is very doable. Looks like they aren't even in Boston, they're in Cambridge not far from where I work. They do an hour of beginners Muy Thai on Wednesdays, I could absolutely make that - hell, I could walk there if I wanted, it's only 40 minutes. I could even be able to make it in time for their regular boxing class too.

Sparring is invite only so no idea if I'd actually be able to do that part, and who knows how long that would take if I I ever did, but could be fun regardless...

I'll check them out, thanks.
It's in Somerville, with decent parking all things considered, and easy access to 93, although that might not help for points west.
Depending on where you work, you might be able to Bluebike to the station at the base of Broadway, 6min walk away.

Poster Novum used to work desk there sometimes; I never got to visit and pound gloves with him.

quote:

What I like best is that I spent wednesday sore as gently caress from an hour of a much-harder-than-normal class followed by like an hour of sparring. That part was wonderful, I got my rear end kicked a lot and loved every second of it.
Time for you to make some notes on what happened to you and what tactics you want to try to do in those circumstances.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mekchu posted:

No worries. Also feel free to come post in the Involuntary Yoga (BJJ) thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

Just had the intro class. This gym is the real deal, probably a dozen competition fighters in their training in the MMA ring when I got there (and they all looked scary). Beginner No-Gi class had like 30 folks (half of which were probably blue belts or higher). Intense warm-ups (just like wrestling practice, really brings back memories), followed by drills and structured/focused techniques and then 15 min at the end for free rolling.

They were doing rear-naked choke variations. I told them I had wrestled before and I felt comfortable rolling and they let me roll around with a few of their experienced guys and it was wild. I don't know any submissions really except for the two rear naked techniques we worked on that class so there wasn't a lot I was accomplishing but I hung with the guys that were about the same size as me. Then I rolled with a dude who was like 6' 300 lbs and couldn't defend the choke (free rolling started with rear mount hooks in and one arm over the shoulder) and ended up tapping probably 20 times in 5 minutes. Didn't help he was my last roll and my arms were so utterly spent I couldn't do anything to his giant ham arms/forearms to stop the choke.

Haven't felt that level of exhaustion/exhilarating fear since wrestling, and didn't realize how much I missed it. Again super grateful for the tip.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

They haven't actually changed their last name to Fairtex, or Sitmonchai, or whatever. It's part of having an arrangement where you train/fight out of a gym: your name gets listed as a member of the gym sorta.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How's the pandemic effecting your training?

For us, classes themselves are largely same as normal but no hand shaking. Been doing some more distant no-contact sparring which actually isn't terrible because it lets you try things you might not normally try, but it's not all the time.

2 tournaments over the next month have been cancelled and our white/color testing next week, where all students from our satellite schools get together to be graded by the masters are instead being graded by the 4th Dan instructors at the satellite location.

Also found out there is no evidence covid is spread by sweat, but of course there is potentially some spit and coughing in the groups so they are trying to play it safe.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I haven’t trained in a while. I noticed that often times when I got sick in the past it was from running myself ragged at the MMA gym.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

hello friends, i would just like to jump in and say that i have been doing boxing for a month and it's really improved my fitness and this week i have gone to six classes (seven counting tomorrow's conditioning!)

boxing is fun and punching things is fun and everyone is so nice and friendly aaa

also throwing a good hook as a beginner is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

How's the pandemic effecting your training?

For us, classes themselves are largely same as normal but no hand shaking. Been doing some more distant no-contact sparring which actually isn't terrible because it lets you try things you might not normally try, but it's not all the time.

2 tournaments over the next month have been cancelled and our white/color testing next week, where all students from our satellite schools get together to be graded by the masters are instead being graded by the 4th Dan instructors at the satellite location.

Also found out there is no evidence covid is spread by sweat, but of course there is potentially some spit and coughing in the groups so they are trying to play it safe.

No hand-shaking or high-fives, fist-bumps only. All equipment used in class is sanitized after each class. No students with fever/cough allowed in.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The idea that people are grappling with each other but handshakes aren't allowed is hilarious

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
In Canada, we have cancelled the national boxing champs and all provincial camps. Most provinces have canceled all boxing bouts, but clubs have not been asked to shut down yet.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The idea that people are grappling with each other but handshakes aren't allowed is hilarious

The illusion of action is comforting I guess...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seriously, my gym is like "we are cleaning everything super good" and I'm thinking "but if they cough on me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm taking the next month off. The girlfriend wanted to take a month off during the spring anyway, so now we have an excuse to get more quality time together.

With a tournament coming up in a few months, by which point this will hopefully be over, I'll still be practicing my forms daily, and trying to send a weekly video to my teacher to get feedback on things to improve.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 13, 2020