Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna hop on the Salt Bae bandwagon and drop Tsurugisho for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Marching Powder posted:

literally just me

(a bit slow, but I was on my phone when thinking about it)

Marching Powder posted:

.... oh man.

i don't know where i got this thought from, but i thought yokozuna were 'taken care of' post retirement. he doesn't need to be living like a loving king if he's squandered all his cash from his fighting days, but he needs to be able to turn down a full contact fight with loving remy bojanski or the human petting zoo bob sapp. loving hell.

I can't find the source, but I believe there were issues between his koenkai and himself regards his marriage - without koenkai money, it can be hard to do anything as an oyakata. If you're not in the NSK, then you're looking for a new paycheck. A few former rikishi have stepped into MMA - Baruto, Osunaarashi, for example.

Konoshiki went into television. If you happen to watch the NHK broadcast, they have children's shows right after. Specifically, there is a show called Nihongo de Asobo (fun with Japanese) which is an kid's intro to Japanese cultural stuff like kabuki, bunraku, etc. If you're lucky, you might catch Kono-chan singing about sumo:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1217941296498839552

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

I'm gonna hop on the Salt Bae bandwagon and drop Tsurugisho for him.

i will literally never forgive you if you jinx this. my ozeiki is goeido. GOEIDO.

ilmucche posted:

I think toshinoshin and enho are my favourites, but that knee of tochinoshin's really isn't looking great. Those videos of him lifting dudes out must have been hell on it.

same. tochinoshin because he literally got me into the sport with his 10 win return to ozeki.

i like enho for the same reason i like giant robot fights, beautiful naked women, and dudes eating burritos so large they shouldn't exist in less time then it took me to type this post: deep down i know that i'm not special enough to witness such miracles.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

everything about this guy from the excessive salt to the excessive humbleness and humility absolutely slays me

e: oh poo poo. not the anniversary of the earthquake, literally the day of the absurdly huge national tragedy. drat. win or lose, i hope he fights his heart out. henka this dude today and you're on my shitlist

i am 100% due a new avatar and this is a prime candidate.

ooo, i just had an idea. is there a prize for the fantasy basho champion? if there isn't, i'm willing to donate a new avatar / plat to the winner just to make things a bit more fun. please just let me know if ya'll want me to stand by this.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 17, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I didn't realize how dominant Akebono's early career was. He only fought at Ozeki four basho before promotion to Yokozuna, and then fought for seven years at Yokozuna.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why was Kaio never promoted?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I didn't realize how dominant Akebono's early career was. He only fought at Ozeki four basho before promotion to Yokozuna, and then fought for seven years at Yokozuna.

Perfect time to repost these old clips of all of Akebono's matches with Takanohana (one of the two greatest Japanese yokozuna of the modern era):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFYuyJTxGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipBrvlIR6c

Compare his level of tsuppari/hand thrusts to those of Abi and Takakeisho.

Lid posted:

Why was Kaio never promoted?

Back then, you pretty much had to win back-to-back bashos to get promoted.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 17, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it.

Marching Powder posted:

i am 100% due a new avatar and this is a prime candidate.

If you want a spiky Konoshiki, I can post a few different pics - he doesn't come up with English searches. Actually, most the Nihongo de Asobo characters would be prime avatar material.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

He was probably more dominant than his record indicated because he went up against not just Takanohana, who was himself one of the all time greats, but he also had to deal with the ridiculous Futagoyama stable that Taka had behind him.

Look at this tournament: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=199807&heya=-1&shusshin=-1&h=on

You can’t fight guys from your own stable, so Taka got to skip the other Yokozuna, an Ozeki, a Sekiwake, and M1w while Akebono had to go through the gauntlet every single time. So while the two were even head to head, Akebono had a much tougher road to titles.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
My go-to for terrible bad luck non-promotions is always Wakanosato never making Ozeki. Like, look at this poo poo:

Sekiwake or Komusubi or Maegashira 1 every basho for four and a half years.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Apraxin posted:

My go-to for terrible bad luck non-promotions is always Wakanosato never making Ozeki. Like, look at this poo poo:

Sekiwake or Komusubi or Maegashira 1 every basho for four and a half years.

That is incredible.

Was he held back by having to face dominant Yokozuna/Ozeki? Or was it a consistency thing -- he could hang with anyone but just never managed to go on a run?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

anakha posted:

Perfect time to repost these old clips of all of Akebono's matches with Takanohana (one of the two greatest Japanese yokozuna of the modern era):

Back then, you pretty much had to win back-to-back bashos to get promoted.

Gods it's like fighting the Chrysler Building and winning (sometimes).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anakha posted:

wow. i actually have to pause after each fight and kind of take in what i just saw because when they are just belt fed like that i get like, overstimulated or something. absolutely monstrous wars.

Elissimpark posted:

If you want a spiky Konoshiki, I can post a few different pics - he doesn't come up with English searches. Actually, most the Nihongo de Asobo characters would be prime avatar material.

if you get a spare moment or two man i'd appreciate it but no pressure or anything

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

now thats some outstanding sumo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

akebono is.... like, how do you fight that? one of the finest yokozuna ever getting hadouken'd into the second row is loving terrifying

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

With both Yokozuna out and both Goeido and Takayasu performing how they are, this is a pretty uh....crazy/terrible start to 2020 for Sumo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

With both Yokozuna out and both Goeido and Takayasu performing how they are, this is a pretty uh....crazy/terrible start to 2020 for Sumo.

Changing of the guard been a few years coming. Goeido has been Kadoban 9 times, he's only like a year younger than the Yokozunas who both seem on the verge of retirement. Takayasu not performing well is much more disappointing, as I thought he'd be an Ozeki for another couple years, but I guess his back and whatever else just won't let him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

crazy, sure. but i've seen some pretty drat good sumo in this basho. endo, takakeisho, hokotofuji are all looking like contenders. shodai is literally undefeated and shares the lead with the canny and dangerous salt bae. enho is holding his own at the moment too.

if it's time for a changing of the guard, i'm cool with it.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The real crazy thing is that there are no obvious candidates for the "new guard" as all the Y/Os suddenly die at once

Maybe Asanoyama and Endo, towards next year?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I’ve been tempted to pay way too much for an authentic Hakuho handprint. And a Tochinoshin. And an Enho.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

akebono is.... like, how do you fight that? one of the finest yokozuna ever getting hadouken'd into the second row is loving terrifying

Akebono does have a disadvantage in that he's so tall and his legs are so long - he's got a high center of gravity which means an opponent can dislodge him if they can grab hold of his mawashi and get close enough to get under his center of gravity.

That godlike tsuppari means you gotta be ozeki-level at least to have a shot at getting under his reach though. And even Takanohana was only able to catch up in head to head record when Akebono was already starting to decline.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The discussion in this thread is leading me to speculate that Sumo's history of mulching the Rikishi is starting to catch up it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tsurugisho has his left knee wrenched pretty badly, and Kizakiumi landed on his head and is concussed. Jesus today has so far been brutal.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ahh. salt bae was finally bested :-(

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

I’ve been tempted to pay way too much for an authentic Hakuho handprint. And a Tochinoshin. And an Enho.

How much were they asking? You might be better asking John Gunning (yes, the English announcer) to source one for you. I got a Harumafuji for my wife a couple years back.

Marching Powder posted:

if you get a spare moment or two man i'd appreciate it but no pressure or anything

I'll have a look see tonight (Oz time) and post some for you.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol was that the first henka? it was pretty slick.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Elissimpark posted:

How much were they asking? You might be better asking John Gunning (yes, the English announcer) to source one for you. I got a Harumafuji for my wife a couple years back.
bigsumofan.com has them at $250 USD for each rikishi. It’s juuust a little steep. Reprints are only $14.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 17, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can there be a period with no Yokozunas or do the Elder Chaos Gods feel that's bad for marketing?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like that in a lot of those clips of akebono that as soon as the match is over he's reaching out to help his opponent up or back onto the dohyo. Is the sumo on now? I've ended up with a day off and may try to catch it live.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Can there be a period with no Yokozunas or do the Elder Chaos Gods feel that's bad for marketing?

It's happened before. There was no yokozuna for nearly a year before Akebono got promoted in 93.

E: Could this year the first time in decades that there are no foreign-born yokozuna or yokozuna candidates?

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 17, 2020

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Given the current rankings, the Elder Chaos Gods would probably not be entirely against having a big race between a bunch of Japanese rikishi to become the Lone Yokozuna.

That said, I can see there being a lot of pressure put on whichever of Hakuho or Kakuryu lasts longest to keep going until someone rises to Yokozuna.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That said, I can see there being a lot of pressure put on whichever of Hakuho or Kakuryu lasts longest to keep going until someone rises to Yokozuna.

Just picturing a broken-down Hakuho sticking it out to finish with a 5-10 Basho and silently daring the Elder Chaos Gods to push him to retire.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

honestly i can't imagine any currently active and ranked rikishi dominating two tournaments in a row. there's good fights and good fighters, but i don't see any that look capable of going above and beyond the competition at this stage.

someone will emerge though.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

ChrisBTY posted:

Just picturing a broken-down Hakuho sticking it out to finish with a 5-10 Basho and silently daring the Elder Chaos Gods to push him to retire.

Imagining everyone scrambles to be demoted back to maegashira to be eligible for kinboshi and the next decade of sumo is ruined like one of those jon bois madden videos

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Bentai posted:

I got my wife a Tochinoshin for her birthday from John. Highly recommended.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

bigsumofan.com has them at $250 USD for each rikishi. It’s juuust a little steep. Reprints are only $14.

I paid $185 for an ozeki Harumafuji 4 years ago. John quoted me about $100-120 for a Shodai about the same time.

Sign on to sumo forum and dm John. He also posts sumo calenders towards the end of the year as well.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sivad posted:

I got my wife a Tochinoshin for her birthday from John. Highly recommended.

that actually looks great. it didn't sound like something i'd want at all but having a salt bae hand would actually be kinda cool

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

fisting by many posted:

The real crazy thing is that there are no obvious candidates for the "new guard" as all the Y/Os suddenly die at once

Maybe Asanoyama and Endo, towards next year?

Endo was the Great Japanese Promise when he showed up a few years back but stalled out after some early success. If he's finding his stride hopefully he can keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Endo was the Great Japanese Promise when he showed up a few years back but stalled out after some early success. If he's finding his stride hopefully he can keep it up.

Didn't help that he had a knee injury too.