Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most Embarrassing Loss of the Divisional Round
This poll is closed.
Kirk Cousins, lol 20 10.15%
Lamar's MVP gets run over 61 30.96%
The Texans play the greatest quarter of football 107 54.31%
<Tom Hanks Voice> WILSON 9 4.57%
Total: 197 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Antonio Brown would lay the smackdown on his roody poo candy rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Amy Pole Her posted:

I mean they can do a quick 72 hour hold if they feel he’s a danger to himself

Idk if you've ever had to try to involuntarily commit someone but it's harder than it looks

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

Idk if you've ever had to try to involuntarily commit someone but it's harder than it looks

To baker act someone?

If you live in a baker act state no it ain’t. It’s actually kinda scary how easy it is and the repercussions are tough for the person

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I would never live in those states and you know that

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Amy Pole Her posted:

To baker act someone?

If you live in a baker act state no it ain’t. It’s actually kinda scary how easy it is and the repercussions are tough for the person

Man I’ve never even heard of the Baker Act, but going by Wikipedia (lol) yeah that’s fair, there’s definitely not been the equivalent of that where I’ve lived/worked.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Amy Pole Her posted:

To baker act someone?

Florida is different man. Takes a lot more to be involuntarily committed in other states. Which of course is a double edged sword bc it should be very hard to take away someone civil rights but also some people are extremely Ill and due to thier illness wont become detainable until it becomes a literally life or death situation.

I used to work in community mental health in WA state and had a severely psychotic client who I tried to ITA several times due to grave disability (inability to take care of one's self ((like a medical issue or not drinking water bc you think it is poisen)), he had a leg infection that was festering, due to a mental health condition. First they have to find the guy, who is homeless paranoid and psychotic, then I would have to prove in a court that he needs to be detained. I did manage to get the account crisis responders to accept my affidavit once but the doctor they took him to said that the conditions of his legs were due to "standing too long" wtffffff so he did not get detained despite experiencing extreme psychosis that is detrimental to the quality of his life and required treatment and this was obvious to apparently everyone who met him except that doctor. Overall cool guy tho couldn't remember when he was born, any family history, but could ear play the piano like a pro.

I was sad to leave him to the system when I moved on from community mental health

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 17, 2020

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I didn't know this until I listened to the Bill Simmons podcast but apparently Arthur Smith, the OC for the Titans, is the son of Fred Smith. Fred Smith, mega billionaire FedEx guy.

Now, I guess billionaire spawn have lives too and can have varying levels of accomplishment outside of nepotism and trust funds; I just don't believe it. And since this guys has managed to survive as a position coach across four different HC regimes for the Titans in the same town where FedEx is headquartered, it's fishy is all.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I didn't know this until I listened to the Bill Simmons podcast but apparently Arthur Smith, the OC for the Titans, is the son of Fred Smith. Fred Smith, mega billionaire FedEx guy.

Now, I guess billionaire spawn have lives too and can have varying levels of accomplishment outside of nepotism and trust funds; I just don't believe it. And since this guys has managed to survive as a position coach across four different HC regimes for the Titans in the same town where FedEx is headquartered, it's fishy is all.

The most amazing part of this is that a Jets fan listens to the Bill Simmons podcast.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

EmbryoSteve posted:

Florida is different man. Takes a lot more to be involuntarily committed in other states. Which of course is a double edged sword bc it should be very hard to take away someone civil rights but also some people are extremely Ill and due to thier illness wont become detainable until it becomes a literally life or death situation.

I used to work in community mental health in WA state and had a severely psychotic client who I tried to ITA several times due to grave disability (inability to take care of one's self ((like a medical issue or not drinking water bc you think it is poisen)), he had a leg infection that was festering, due to a mental health condition. First they have to find the guy, who is homeless paranoid and psychotic, then I would have to prove in a court that he needs to be detained. I did manage to get the account crisis responders to accept my affidavit once but the doctor they took him to said that the conditions of his legs were due to "standing too long" wtffffff so he did not get detained despite experiencing extreme psychosis that is detrimental to the quality of his life and required treatment and this was obvious to apparently everyone who met him except that doctor. Overall cool guy tho couldn't remember when he was born, any family history, but could ear play the piano like a pro.

I was sad to leave him to the system when I moved on from community mental health

Baker act is just the florida name for it. There are similar laws through the US! And even in Ontario Canada.

In California it’s known as 5150, but there are 72 hour holds in well over 75% of states.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 17, 2020

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the dickhead billionaire knows how to call plays, I guess. I'm sure he has plenty of time to gameplan with literally zero worries in his life

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

I would never live in those states and you know that

I’d never let anyone hurt baby u know that come to Florida (hurt you before we go spear fishing.)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope Arthur Smith paid off the refs

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Amy Pole Her posted:

Baker act is just the florida name for it. There are similar laws through the US! And even in Ontario Canada.

In California it’s known as 5150, but there are 72 hour holds in well over 75% of states.

Everything I described is what it takes to get to a 72 hour hold. In Washington A clinician (or police or ER) needs to essentially request a hold via an affidavit to the county and then the county sends responders who have to agree that this person meets criteria and then someone gets a 72 hour hold. They can also be released anytime during that 72 hours if they ar determined to no longer meet criteria. After 72 hours you have to go.to court to prove that they meet criteria to kove to a 14 day hold. Police can just detain people for a short period if time but to get to the official 72 the county decides.

My Old supervisor was from Florida and told me that clinician themselves can just detain people via the baker act and just skip the whole affidavit to the county and the county coming to determine piece. Which was.crazy to me.

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 17, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

EmbryoSteve posted:

Everything I described is what it takes to get to a 72 hour hold. In Washington A clinician (or police or ER) needs to essentially request a hold via an affidavit to the county and then the county sends responders who have to agree that this person meets criteria and then someone gets a 72 hour hold. They can also be released anytime during that 72 hours if they ar determined to no longer meet criteria. After 72 hours you have to go.to court to prove that they meet criteria to kove to a 14 day hold. Police can just detain people for a short period if time but to get to the official 72 the county decides.

My Old supervisor was from Florida and told me that clinician themselves can just detain people via the baker act and just skip the whole affidavit to the county and the county coming to determine piece. Which was.crazy to me.

Sounds more like Washington is very relaxed compared to the rest of the country. I wasn’t debating Washington (which, ironically, I’ve had a family member commit suicide in Seattle!) and their mental health laws since i have no real experience, but moreso correcting the comment “oh that’s only Florida”

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Amy Pole Her posted:

(which, ironically, I’ve had a family member commit suicide in Seattle!)
I'm sorry to hear about that. Did it happen after Super Bowl XL ended?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

That's... interesting. Looking at his coaching history it's all QC and low level assistant positions which are the type that survive coaching regime changes. It's not like he's doing a bad job this year or anything just a further indictment of if $random_other_person or $minority were given the same apparently 50 chances to keep getting better at their job how would they do.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Amy Pole Her posted:

With 5150 yeah I think after 72 hours they pretty much have to let you go unless you're acting like a raving psycho. It happens semi-regularly that a recently released person harms themselves or others, but it's hard to balance that with people's civil rights and freedoms. It still seems like a very limited law compared to the way this country used to throw people into institutions

Never happened to me but I am familiar with folks who have been 5150'd and told me about it. And yes, it's become a verb somehow

Stevie Lee posted:

the dickhead billionaire knows how to call plays, I guess. I'm sure he has plenty of time to gameplan with literally zero worries in his life

True but people who work with him speak of not even knowing or suspecting that about him for months before they heard about it one way or another. His work ethic makes him seem like he's not a billionaire, in fact he's worked his way up through the shittiest possible jobs all the way to where he is now, starting as a quality control dude. Also managed to survive four head coaches in Tennessee

He's had a lot of advantages in his life no doubt but he seems like a good OC. Which at this point I figure is all that really matters, but he also seems pretty chill

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1217912684068339713

lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, coaching has always had a problem in that a huge chunk of the entry level positions get eaten up by relatives or friends of existing coaches. Who are almost all white as snow.

Then they mysteriously get promotions they don't deserve (See Zimmer's kid getting promoted to DC as the most recent hilarious one), and suddenly, oh hey, they're the experienced guys getting HC interviews.

Considering the Rooney rule is an abject failure, the league should probably just straight up introduce salary cap / draft penalties for not having enough minority coaches on staff.

Some fun examples:

Steve Belichick, Unofficial Patriots DC, Secondary coach
Britt Reid, chiefs LB coach.
Nate Carroll, Seahawks WR coach

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 17, 2020

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
AB is gonna kick Stephen A. Smith's rear end :yeah:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Diva Cupcake posted:

FedEx is in Memphis, Titans are in Nashville.

Billionaire's families have absolutely charmed lives, but right now the billionaire's kid is doing a good job, so.

Also lots of people don't know that because apparently Arthur never mentions it, fwiw.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Considering the Rooney rule is an abject failure, the league should probably just straight up introduce salary cap / draft penalties for not having enough minority coaches on staff.

I like that idea

Soul Glo posted:

FedEx is in Memphis, Titans are in Nashville.

Billionaire's families have absolutely charmed lives, but right now the billionaire's kid is doing a good job, so.

Also lots of people don't know that because apparently Arthur never mentions it, fwiw.

By all accounts he's an extremely hard worker and an excellent employee that's all. I hate that his family is that rich but he's not the one responsible for that and at least dude works hard

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, coaching has always had a problem in that a huge chunk of the entry level positions get eaten up by relatives or friends of existing coaches. Who are almost all white as snow.

Then they mysteriously get promotions they don't deserve (See Zimmer's kid getting promoted to DC as the most recent hilarious one), and suddenly, oh hey, they're the experienced guys getting HC interviews.

Some fun examples:

Steve Belichick, Unofficial Patriots DC, Secondary coach
Britt Reid, chiefs LB coach.
Nate Carroll, Seahawks WR coach

Norv Turner's son is now the OC for the Redskins. For the past two years he was the OC/QB coach for the Carolina Panthers.

Show me what he did during that time period that warrants a promotion.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Greggggg Williams son is his LB coach with the Jets and in Cleveland. He also became DC when Greggggg became the interim.

Nov 6, 2002

Obviously being related to a coach gets your foot in the door, but you don't need it to advance, you don't even have to be good at your job. You just have to be there grinding hard, sucking up and being loyal and you'll keep moving up the food chain ala Adam Gase until you fail. And then you get like a zillion more chances. NFL coaching is the extreme opposite of a meritocracy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Norv Turner's son is now the OC for the Redskins. For the past two years he was the OC/QB coach for the Carolina Panthers.

Show me what he did during that time period that warrants a promotion.

Might be a fun offseason project to just go through and figure out just how many nepotism cases there are in the NFL.

Like did you know when the Josh McDaniels Broncos were caught filming the 49ers , the guy doing it was Dante Scarrnechia's kid?

Steve Scarrnecchia is currently a special assistant coach for the Falcons.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Bet it feels great to be a Shula failson

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Rams have Dave Shula's son(nephew of Mike Shula) at outside linebackers coach, also Aaron Kromer's son Zak at offensive quality control assistant

Oh and Wade Phillip's son Wes as tight ends coach

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers just hired mike lombardis son for QC

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brian Schottenheiner

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Better Than You posted:

I'm sorry to hear about that. Did it happen after Super Bowl XL ended?

They pushed off a receiver, she pushed off a ledge!

(It was my “aunt” who was actually a moms cousin and I was like 8. Manic depression is a brutal bitch but i mean, i didn’t really know her)

Nov 6, 2002

Just another victim of Ben Roethlisberger.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
except it wasn't against her own will

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Just another victim of Ben Roethlisberger.

Better Than You posted:

except it wasn't against her own will

:wow:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Shocking that the dude who has a huge carrier driving the package to its goal in the most direct and efficient manner possible is the son of FedEx's owner.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

DK was robbed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
How the gently caress did Tytus Howard make the all rookie team

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Print 'em

https://twitter.com/TDavenport_NFL/status/1218232421247746049?s=09

Nov 6, 2002

I want to say something negative about the Most Improved Player averaging 80 yards per playoff game, but he really did play so much better in the regular season.

#GaseSurvivor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Convenient of you to leave out Derrick Henry going absolutely ham in the playoffs, negating the need to pass more often