Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I believe it’s also an ingredient in making the +6 resolve necklace (you need one of each hexe drop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Getting back into this finally, and I had a Hexe drop an apple for the first time. Should I try and sell it somewhere, even knowing I'll never get the 'full' price, or just turn it into paint at a taxidermist and save myself time?

I certainly wouldn't make it into paint, that's one of the rarer ones. I would sell it if you need the gold (you will never get near the "list" price for trophies, IDK why they have them pegged so high - seems like 40-45% of list is good value) or save it for the hexen trophy necklace. Looks like it would go into an oblivion potion or a potion of knowledge later on too

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The apple is worth 1250. The paint costs 25 to craft and is worth 120. So even if you really want the paint for some reason you're better off selling the apple and buying the paint than crafting it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

I certainly wouldn't make it into paint, that's one of the rarer ones. I would sell it if you need the gold (you will never get near the "list" price for trophies, IDK why they have them pegged so high - seems like 40-45% of list is good value) or save it for the hexen trophy necklace. Looks like it would go into an oblivion potion or a potion of knowledge later on too

Hexen Trophy necklace is the way to go. Potion of knowledge is way to hard to get materials for vs just using a training hall. Potion of Knowledge is obscene with what it requires (just plan things out so you don't find yourself needing to respec).

There is also a small risk if you have a gluttonous brother, they might get a random event where they eat the apple and get sick.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Lol I had no idea gluttonous brothers would eat the apple. I've never actually had the opportunity to make a potion of oblivion as most of my campaigns don't last the 1000 days after which the cost would seem reasonable. Same with the potion of knowledge. What were the devs scared of when they made this stuff so prohibitively hard to get? Especially when, as you note, the training hall does roughly the same thing for about 1/10th the time and effort.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Wizard Styles posted:

The apple is worth 1250. The paint costs 25 to craft and is worth 120. So even if you really want the paint for some reason you're better off selling the apple and buying the paint than crafting it.

I mean I figured that, I've been playing BB for a long time. I'm probably just gonna sell it once I find a city that isn't poo poo, as I don't intend to fight too many Hexen. Dealing with the hex and the charm are too annoying and just drag the fight out. The unhold she had died without every actually doing any damage but killing her took like 6 extra turns because of the stupid hex poo poo.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Hexen Trophy necklace is the way to go. Potion of knowledge is way to hard to get materials for vs just using a training hall. Potion of Knowledge is obscene with what it requires (just plan things out so you don't find yourself needing to respec).

There is also a small risk if you have a gluttonous brother, they might get a random event where they eat the apple and get sick.

Honestly if I mess up with perks I just say gently caress it and save edit it. And yes I am preparing to perform ritual sudoku on myself to salvage my family's gaming honor.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
While we are all waiting for the next DLC announcement why don't we check out a mod.

Legends Mod Beta 13

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/articles/29

I haven't installed it but the changelog looks amazing...

Armor Layering

Weapons - We now have over 50 new weapons in legends, In this release we add a set of halberds, flails and named orc weapons

Dynamic Enemy Parties - In vanilla there are a set number of possible enemy parties, so you end up fighting the same enemy compositions. We’ve changed this into a procedurally generated system where each party is created in response to your strength. This results in much greater variety in the enemy parties you encounter including the 37 new legends enemies. These groups take into account your party strength, how far into the campaign you are and the difficulty settings to dynamically generate enemy groups. This system is flexible enough for detailed configuration and will allow us to add enemies more easily.

New Enemies!

New Scenarios! - Including one where you play as the Ancient Dead!

And a bunch more!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Honestly if I mess up with perks I just say gently caress it and save edit it. And yes I am preparing to perform ritual sudoku on myself to salvage my family's gaming honor.

I mean frankly that's a legit use of BBedit that I don't think is cheating, and I've had to do the same. I also save; hire everyone in the town to check them out, then reload. The hiring system is fine if you're playing on Ironman and treating the game as an insane roguelike, but otherwise it makes no sense and it's just one annoyance too far.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I’m glad this game isn’t dead yet.

https://twitter.com/overhypestudios/status/1218166235906629633?s=21

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Here’s the rough list of features we’re aiming for:

A realm of independent southern city-states with their own lore, equipment and services, as well as entirely new character backgrounds to recruit
A new late game crisis that tests the mettle of your company in the fires of religious turmoil
A gallery of company feats that grant permanent boons with which to customize your company to your playstyle as you progress throughout your campaign
A variety of new opponents with their own fighting styles – from exotic beasts to desert raiders and southern armies quite unlike those in the north
New environments both on the world map and in tactical combat
Several new origins to pick for your company for a different campaign experience
New banners, weapons, armors and helmets inspired by historic Arabian and Persian cultures of the medieval ages
New legendary locations and legendary rewards
New contracts and events
New crafting recipes for owners of the ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC
Several new music tracks by Breakdown Epiphanies to accompany you on your travels south

Hell yeah

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The nice man in the artwork for the new DLC is holding a grenade! I want a grenade. Grenade make Barbarian Chosen go... BOOM! Nice Grenade.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'm so happy that the Devs came back to this game and keep developing cool stuff. That art looks incredible.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The new features sound great and it seems like this will be a more sizable DLC than the two before.
A new crisis is long overdue, so it's good they're finally making one.

But to be honest I don't trust them to write a religious conflict well. The writing has never been all that good when it wasn't going for humor and there's some sketchy stuff in there as it is.
Of course they might just go for humor when writing the crisis events.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My unpleasant expectation is that they'll make the southern city-states pseudo-Islamic and the noble kingdoms pseudo-Christian and then write a Crusades-type crisis, but I hope I'm wrong.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The descriptions of the noble houses aren't exactly flattering, although they don't seem to have any impact on the writing or gameplay elsewhere. The missions do seem to accurately reflect that they're all psychopaths, though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was excited about this but after a bit of contemplation and seeing a couple DEUS VULTs in the comment section for the announcement I think I'm switching to vague dread.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Not terribly excited about the crusader stuff in there either, I want barbarians to be mostly rebalanced before anything else (devs pls let them actually run out of stamina, even for a round or two).

Yeah I like the art, I like the time/location they are aping but putting something like a crusade into a game while not being based on history. It's just a bit poo poo.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
While the crusades are fascinating from a historical perspective, actually playing them out in a game is a bit... weird.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Particularly as the whole lifetime of every poster on this forum has been occupied by an endless succession of white guys blowing up various parts of the middle east cos its good for business. At this point, recreating that in a videogame is a bit tasteless imo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
If you think a Crusades type crisis would be problematic, please consider the alternative that they might write the crisis as something originating in the south, like totally-not-a-Jihad. I'm hopeful they won't be quite that tone deaf, though.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
"A new late game crisis that tests the mettle of your company in the fires of religious turmoil"

That's it. That's all they've said. Maybe save the woke garment rending until they've actually Done A Racism.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Could be cultist inspired. That'd play well with allowing your cultist company to pick the pro-Davkul side.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Could be cultist inspired. That'd play well with allowing your cultist company to pick the pro-Davkul side.

Yeah this is what I'm hoping for honestly. Cultist uprising triggering an actual Chaos invasion, Warhammer style.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'm fascinated by the Crusades and enjoy the real history behind them. That said, I do share a sense of vague dread about putting them in games lately. I legitimately uninstalled Mordhau, a game I really enjoyed, because medieval combat games just attract the worst communities.

That said, the devs tend to have a bit of disdain and low opinion of the noble houses and the world they create. I really hope they don't venture into ugly territories. The art looks good and shows a cool middle eastern soldier that I'd love to have in my merc company so I hope that bodes well.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A cultist crisis would work. But I'd also accept a religious war between not-Christians and a slightly different sect of not-Christians. A Islam VS Christianity Crusade would be problematic, but a war over minor differences in interpretation of the same religion is disconnected enough from current events that it could be done.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Given how closely they've hewn to their inspiration for most of the game's setting I would basically expect it to be some kind of Not-Christianity vs Not-Islam holy war, but given how they handle the noble houses currently it will probably be played more like the Noble War wherein a bunch of petty rear end in a top hat get into a giant fight and you get to decide who's paying better.

EDIT hey also we finally get some nonwhite characters!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

golden bubble posted:

A cultist crisis would work. But I'd also accept a religious war between not-Christians and a slightly different sect of not-Christians. A Islam VS Christianity Crusade would be problematic, but a war over minor differences in interpretation of the same religion is disconnected enough from current events that it could be done.

Making the religious turmoil hinge on one of those medieval heresies that are about changing a single word in the lord's prayer or whether the father, son, and holy spirit are technically seperate entities or something would be really funny.

e: make it about whether beaver counts as fish for fasting purposes, with a splinter heresy positing that the tail is fish, the rest isn't

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It’d be interesting if instead of faux Islam they went with faux Orthodoxy and an endgame state could be becoming a knockoff Varangian Guard.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Crazy Ferret posted:

I'm fascinated by the Crusades and enjoy the real history behind them. That said, I do share a sense of vague dread about putting them in games lately. I legitimately uninstalled Mordhau, a game I really enjoyed, because medieval combat games just attract the worst communities.

Lucky its a single player game eh?

DLC looks cool, can't wait.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've waited too long for the DLC to go on sale and now I know that the day after I buy it it will.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My real concern here is that if they try to write the southern factions with the same kind of grace and sensitivity they used for the main factions it's going to end up being massively offensive. A bunch of white dudes writing about other white dudes loving a horse is one thing, but I'm not convinced they'll see the difference.

Maybe they'll subvert expectations and write the not-Muslim countries as the advanced centers of science and knowledge that they were at this time, and we'll get lots of jokes about their envoys holding their noses in our unwashed presence.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Disgusting Coward posted:

"A new late game crisis that tests the mettle of your company in the fires of religious turmoil"

That's it. That's all they've said. Maybe save the woke garment rending until they've actually Done A Racism.

Very true, it's a few raised eyebrows. They just walked out on stage with a topic line that got everyone scooted forwards in their seat and is like "okay, we're watching."

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’d be interesting if instead of faux Islam they went with faux Orthodoxy and an endgame state could be becoming a knockoff Varangian Guard.

This would be very cool.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Considering one of the features is this:

quote:

New banners, weapons, armors and helmets inspired by historic Arabian and Persian cultures of the medieval ages

it's definitely the faux-Middle East, which means there's a 99% certainty that if they're going to put a religion on top it'll be faux-Islam instead of anything else.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'd actually be surprised if it wasn't this. The cult is just about all the religion we've seen in the setting of Battle Brothers and it's always felt like there's a sense of "hey these guys seem like they're gonna start some poo poo at some point."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
City states sound cool.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

The new features sound great and it seems like this will be a more sizable DLC than the two before.
A new crisis is long overdue, so it's good they're finally making one.

But to be honest I don't trust them to write a religious conflict well. The writing has never been all that good when it wasn't going for humor and there's some sketchy stuff in there as it is.
Of course they might just go for humor when writing the crisis events.

I know others have mentioned it, but aren't the religious aspects of the game Cult Focused? I know that the priests aren't Davkul cultists because of the Barbarian start, but they certainly don't seem Christian either.

Oh man, maybe we'll get Davkul cultists vs. Ancient Undead and their ancestor worship.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I’m just down for more Battle Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Mazz posted:

I’m just down for more Battle Brothers

all this hand wringing is hilarious. I just want more.