Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: I just saw Stickman's suggestion of moving down from a AMD 3600 to a 2600, and that would save $120. Would that be a logical change? I assume that the 3600 is newer, but Stickman make it sound not as good?

The 3600 is faster than a 2600 but the prices 2600s are going for are crazy good for anyone with budget limits. A 3600 is like 5% to at most 10% faster. If everything you have is within your budget and you don't have better things to spend $100 on, go with the 3600.

Professor Shark posted:

Okay, I'll go for it. Should I buy a copy of Windows 10 too? I was also told by the students who will be helping me put this thing together that I should get velcro cord ties...

Many cases come with velcro ties, or at least zip ties. And you can just use twist ties.

Buy a win7 key off ebay for $5 and use that to activate win10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GunnerJ posted:

Newegg is a reputable vendor of computer parts, I've bought from them for years. Although yeah I definitely take shipping costs into account and there might be better places to buy from for any number of reasons... but it's not a sketchy site.

Neweggs reputation has tanked in the last couple years. I haven't had any dealings with them personally since 2016 or so, but I've seen multiple people be unhappy with service / return policy.

Also, since it can't be said enough, if you do buy from Newegg, make sure you're buying from Newegg itself and not a marketplace seller.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ItBreathes posted:

Neweggs reputation has tanked in the last couple years. I haven't had any dealings with them personally since 2016 or so, but I've seen multiple people be unhappy with service / return policy.

Also, since it can't be said enough, if you do buy from Newegg, make sure you're buying from Newegg itself and not a marketplace seller.

Ah, that's sad to hear. For what it's worth, I had a problem with a Newegg marketplace vendor recently that was resolved to my satisfaction in like a day, but it also wasn't a huge deal money-wise and I guess it's not the norm. Usually I would also only deal with Newegg itself but this was a cheap purchase (four pack of compressed air cans, one had a broken cap making it unusable and I wanted a refund). I also haven't had to do a lot of returns so I can't speak to that, but what I can say is that I never think Newegg is going to scam me so if you haven't heard of them, I guess the verdict is they are legit but there might be better places to go.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: I just saw Stickman's suggestion of moving down from a AMD 3600 to a 2600, and that would save $120. Would that be a logical change? I assume that the 3600 is newer, but Stickman make it sound not as good?

Besides what Klyith said about the relative performance, that performance boost will only translate into a gaming fps boost if your fps is being constrained by the cpu. That means if your monitor is limiting you to 60 fps, then the 2600 would have to be limiting you to something <60fps before you'd see a difference in performance by upgrading to a 3600.

Right now, the 2600 run basically every AAA on the market at >60 fps and will likely continue to do so for a while, so the 3600 is really only recommended if you have a monitor with a high refresh rate plus a gpu powerful enough to push you to the 2600's limits and don't mind paying $80-100 extra for the 5-10% performance boost.

Professor Shark posted:

Okay, I'll go for it. Should I buy a copy of Windows 10 too? I was also told by the students who will be helping me put this thing together that I should get velcro cord ties...

The Meshify C comes with a few built-in velco cable ties in the main routing channels, plus some zip ties for other tie-down points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1OBRSvzDi8&t=2884s

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Professor Shark posted:

Get a Windows key either here on SA Mart or from eBay/Reddit, don't spend more than $20 on it (Windows 7 keys work fine)

A big bag of velcro ties are great to have on hand just in general. I got a shitload of Tripp-Lite velcro ties from a job I had like almost a decade ago and I'm still using them all the time around the house.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Of all things to buy from Newegg I bought a fidget spinner from a marketplace seller from there a few years ago when they were hot poo poo. When it arrived it was complete garbage and it took them a month to get back to me. I gave up and thankfully paid with Paypal who immediately sided with me and I got my money back. So, I'd never buy anything from Newegg marketplace, and Newegg can certainly go gently caress themselves as they didn't care that their marketplace seller was selling junk.

Regarding Windows keys..I know a few folks at [places] sell them for $10 but is there a catch? I've read around and the only way these are so cheap is some kind of VLK abuse, which means they could get revoked at some point. I probably need a couple of other keys for some older machines I have laying around..

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you drop down to a 2600, I'd also get a cheaper ASRock Pro4 board since you won't have to worry about BIOS flashing and B450-A Pro has ballooned in price since I put it on my list:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4 (mATX version in case you don't need the PCIe slots)
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/PCKcCJ/asrock-b450-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-pro4

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bank posted:

Of all things to buy from Newegg I bought a fidget spinner from a marketplace seller from there a few years ago when they were hot poo poo. When it arrived it was complete garbage and it took them a month to get back to me. I gave up and thankfully paid with Paypal who immediately sided with me and I got my money back. So, I'd never buy anything from Newegg marketplace, and Newegg can certainly go gently caress themselves as they didn't care that their marketplace seller was selling junk.

Regarding Windows keys..I know a few folks at [places] sell them for $10 but is there a catch? I've read around and the only way these are so cheap is some kind of VLK abuse, which means they could get revoked at some point. I probably need a couple of other keys for some older machines I have laying around..

It's possible, but Microsoft itself has really transitioned away from considering Windows as a profit center. With their focus on the MS App Store, XGP, and O365 it's more important to them to have as many people as possible on their platform so that they buy stuff through those avenues. Basically they moved to Micro-transactions and made Windows Free-to-Play.

And I've also heard that a lot of the Win7 keys come from electronics recyclers that pull them from old computers that get tossed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bank posted:

Maybe? If any of the SA-Mart sellers' keys start going bad en mass I assume they'll be perma'd. But they've been at it for years without incident.

No matter where you buy from though you're only out whatever you paid if it does get revoked. You can also just run Win10 unregistered if you're ok with a default background and the occasional nagging.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I realized the OP says the AMD stock cooler is fine for R5 3600 CPU, does this hold for the boost clocking that AMD provides? Or do people generally put on different coolers for... cool points?

Right now it is very cold in the PNW, so I'm not too concerned about room temps. However, summer can get up pretty hot and we have minimal AC in the apartment. Would a Noctua heat sink be worth a buy when it goes on discount?

I've bought all the parts for my build with most arriving today/tomorrow. I do have to wait until Tuesday for the case. Final step is to buy a mouse/keyboard. I'm going to head over to best buy to look at different types.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Klyith posted:

The 3600 is faster than a 2600 but the prices 2600s are going for are crazy good for anyone with budget limits. A 3600 is like 5% to at most 10% faster. If everything you have is within your budget and you don't have better things to spend $100 on, go with the 3600.

Many cases come with velcro ties, or at least zip ties. And you can just use twist ties.

Buy a win7 key off ebay for $5 and use that to activate win10.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Get a Windows key either here on SA Mart or from eBay/Reddit, don't spend more than $20 on it (Windows 7 keys work fine)

A big bag of velcro ties are great to have on hand just in general. I got a shitload of Tripp-Lite velcro ties from a job I had like almost a decade ago and I'm still using them all the time around the house.

I have heard of this but wasn't sure how it worked. It's reliable and legal? Also, forgive my ignorance here, but when I get my new computer all together does it ask me for a Win 7 key that I plug in and then just upgrade to 10 with?

Edit: While I'm revealing how little I know about computers, do any of the parts I bought tonight allow me to connect to wifi? I use that instead of a cord

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Presenting Nipples posted:

I realized the OP says the AMD stock cooler is fine for R5 3600 CPU, does this hold for the boost clocking that AMD provides? Or do people generally put on different coolers for... cool points?

Right now it is very cold in the PNW, so I'm not too concerned about room temps. However, summer can get up pretty hot and we have minimal AC in the apartment. Would a Noctua heat sink be worth a buy when it goes on discount?

I've bought all the parts for my build with most arriving today/tomorrow. I do have to wait until Tuesday for the case. Final step is to buy a mouse/keyboard. I'm going to head over to best buy to look at different types.

The main reason to get an aftermarket cooler if you're not overclocking isn't to keep temps down, it's to keep noise down (and also for cool points). This is especially true for Noctua so if temp is your main concern then at most get a Mugen 5.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Also, forgive my ignorance here, but when I get my new computer all together does it ask me for a Win 7 key that I plug in and then just upgrade to 10 with?

Yeah, it turns out that free upgrade possibility never went away: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-how/

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Quote != Edit

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So I've been mulling over the questionable advice I took to get 32 GB of RAM for my current computer, of which I've never seen more than 13 in use. Is there a way to take advantage of this? I'm basically just never using like 60% of my memory and I'd like to do something about that. Some kind of persistent file caching (i.e., tracks commonly used files and ensures they're loaded into RAM) program maybe?

Whoops, I'm a dunce, the OS does that over time anyway. :v:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 17, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Open a couple more Chrome tabs

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: While I'm revealing how little I know about computers, do any of the parts I bought tonight allow me to connect to wifi? I use that instead of a cord

The motherboard you have right now doesn't have built in Wifi. The cheapest one that'd I'd recommend that does is the B450 Aorus Pro Wifi, but I'd just recommend getting the Pro4 I mentioned earlier or B450-A Pro MAX still and one of these two wireless cards:

Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.50 @ Vuugo)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC58BT PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($53.99 @ PC-Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WBAX200 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)

The former uses the Intel 9260 chip which supports AC bands, while the latter uses the more modern AX200 for AX routers.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Open a couple more Chrome tabs

:hmmyes:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Demostrs posted:

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC58BT PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($53.99 @ PC-Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WBAX200 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)

Would I be able to stick with the Motherboard I have right now and just order one of these?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Professor Shark posted:

I have heard of this but wasn't sure how it worked. It's reliable and legal? Also, forgive my ignorance here, but when I get my new computer all together does it ask me for a Win 7 key that I plug in and then just upgrade to 10 with?

It's 100% legal. The new PC does not come with windows out of the box -- the HD is blank.

You go here to get an app that makes an 8+GB usb stick into a win10 installer. Once you have your installer stick, plug it into the new PC and install win10. At some point it asks you for a key, enter the win7 key. MS gives you an upgrade license for the new PC.

Presenting Nipples posted:

People put on better coolers for more performance (Ryzen's internal boosting system, PBO, is basically auto-overclocking and boosts more when cool) and quieter operation.

IMO the Wraith Stealth -- the stock cooler on the 3600 and lower -- should be described as "barely adequate" rather than "up to the task". There aren't a lot of good examinations of it to point to, but from the few that are around I think the Stealth can limit the potential performance of a 3600.

You don't need a noctua heatsink (and they're rarely discounted in any event). The most cheapo $20 heatpipe tower cooler will be adequate and quieter than the stock one.

Noctua are great if you want your PC to be very quiet, but if that's the goal many other parts need to be selected for quiet. But they're also the BMW of air coolers.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

On the topic of coolers, Cooler Master is finally updating the Hyper 212. New fan, offset tower, and, most importantly, a new mounting mechanism. God drat was the original one a pain in the rear end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nothing like a cooler that wiggles even when it's tightened all the way down

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Nothing like a cooler that wiggles even when it's tightened all the way down

Just leaving space to let more air in.

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:
my 2nd ever build so i'd love input before i click the order button. i'm selling my current build to a friend and replacing a few parts for him, so trying to justify keeping my current hard drive/SSD until i run them into the ground. also i'm a basic bitch and love the idea of a little RBG, but i'm not married to the look.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? general web browsing/office work and games like civ 5/6, fallout 4, no man's sky, guild wars 2, etc.
What's your budget? $1000-$1200, including replacement parts for my friend
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p/60hz

PCPartPicker List

cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.92)
motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98)
memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($62.99)
storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
video card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS ($279.99)
case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($55.98)
power supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98)
total: $677.76

for replacement parts on my current build:

memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99)
storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99) and Western Digital Blue 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.76)
case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99)
total: $190.73

grand total: $868.49

no idea what it'll cost me to ship my current build to my friend, but as far as this all goes i'm below budget and open to spending a little more where it would help. thank you!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Hadn't built a computer since 2012, and just randomly bought whatever pcpartspicker recommended without doing any research, and everything actually worked! poo poo is pretty cool these days. I have a 1 TB SSD that is, like, a little card. I literally had no idea wtf I was looking at when I got the package. 9700k/rtx2070 for reference.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

stringstheory posted:

my 2nd ever build so i'd love input before i click the order button. i'm selling my current build to a friend and replacing a few parts for him, so trying to justify keeping my current hard drive/SSD until i run them into the ground. also i'm a basic bitch and love the idea of a little RBG, but i'm not married to the look.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? general web browsing/office work and games like civ 5/6, fallout 4, no man's sky, guild wars 2, etc.
What's your budget? $1000-$1200, including replacement parts for my friend
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p/60hz

PCPartPicker List

cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.92)
motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98)
memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($62.99)
storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
video card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS ($279.99)
case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($55.98)
power supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98)
total: $677.76

for replacement parts on my current build:

memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99)
storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99) and Western Digital Blue 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.76)
case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99)
total: $190.73

grand total: $868.49

no idea what it'll cost me to ship my current build to my friend, but as far as this all goes i'm below budget and open to spending a little more where it would help. thank you!

That 1660 is only $20 under a 2060 KO, which would be a pretty hefty 15% performance boost. Otherwise I’d just get one of the nice dual-fan 1660 Supers for $240! You might want a 550W PSU with that, but a 450 should still be adequate.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Do I care about 3200 vs 3600 ram for my new Ryzen 3600? Noticeable difference? Don't mind spending a bit more if it's more future proof. pcpartspicker just says 3200.

e: anything wrong with this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z4NTYDM?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1
TEAMGROUP MODULO MEMORIA RAM DDR4 32GB(2X1G) PC3600 DARK Za

fuf fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 17, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool. What wireless adapter should I go with for this router?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Cool. What wireless adapter should I go with for this router?

woof, for a router that old the ASUS will be fine. I would say it's time for you to consider upgrading the router even, I haven't seen a wireless g device in a while. Wireless N has been the standard for quite a while now, with wireless AC now being nearly as common and wireless AX devices finally starting to roll out at normal prices. You should really consider upgrading that, you're being limited to 54Mbps over wifi at most (and only on the 2.4Ghz band where you're much more likely to get interference from other devices) while a wireless N router can do 300Mbps and AC can do 1Gbps. Obviously if the speeds from your ISP don't exceed 54Mbps then it doesn't really matter but if you're paying for more than that you should take advantage of it.

fake edit: oh man, even hardline on that is 10/100.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

gvibes posted:

Hadn't built a computer since 2012, and just randomly bought whatever pcpartspicker recommended without doing any research, and everything actually worked! poo poo is pretty cool these days. I have a 1 TB SSD that is, like, a little card. I literally had no idea wtf I was looking at when I got the package. 9700k/rtx2070 for reference.

M.2 drives took a little getting used to for me as well. I understood what it was but was surprised how small it ended up being. But it's a really cool piece of tech.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

fuf posted:

Do I care about 3200 vs 3600 ram for my new Ryzen 3600? Noticeable difference? Don't mind spending a bit more if it's more future proof. pcpartspicker just says 3200.

e: anything wrong with this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z4NTYDM?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1
TEAMGROUP MODULO MEMORIA RAM DDR4 32GB(2X1G) PC3600 DARK Za

There is more than just the speed rating. The timings on RAM play a role too. That particular kit is CL 18. Meaning it will not be that much better than cheap 3200 CL 16 in many circumstances. In general it is not worth paying a premium for 3600 RAM and this is the last place to try and min max.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

GunnerJ posted:

M.2 drives took a little getting used to for me as well. I understood what it was but was surprised how small it ended up being. But it's a really cool piece of tech.

I went from mechanical HDDs straight to M.2 drives, and the speed of this tiny stick of gum nearly broke my brain.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

MikeC posted:

There is more than just the speed rating. The timings on RAM play a role too. That particular kit is CL 18. Meaning it will not be that much better than cheap 3200 CL 16 in many circumstances. In general it is not worth paying a premium for 3600 RAM and this is the last place to try and min max.

Ah thanks, I missed that.

Ok I'll go for 3200 but make sure it's C15 or C16.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Quiet Mid-High Performance Build - Taiwan prices converted to USD
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($363.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 43.03 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($165.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($60.00)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($146.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($607.00)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.00)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($330.00)
Total: $1946.00

Shopped around a bit at the physical stores in Taiwan; it's one place where physical stores often actually have better deals than the online ones, and managed to shave ~80 USD off my rig price, and tentatively chose a monitor - ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ - within my intended budget, and which seems to go for notably cheaper than it's selling for in the US now for some reason.

Thought I would definitely go over 2k USD equivalent after monitor so happy with how everything turned out so far; now just to confirm there's nothing out of stock or unavailable for a long time tomorrow when I go back to the store.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fuf posted:

Ah thanks, I missed that.

Ok I'll go for 3200 but make sure it's C15 or C16.

Ryzen can't do odd-numbered CAS timing, so don't pay extra for CL15 over 16.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

A punk rock song won't ever change the world but I can tell ya about a couple that changed me..
So I got my case and mobo yesterday and everything else today. My plan is to start my build after work but watching YouTube videos/my motherboard box has me worried about static. I definitely don’t want to brick anything. I planned on building it on my kitchen table (wood table, linoleum floors) and using the motherboard box to keep it off the table. Does that sound okay or are there any steps, besides buying the special straps, that I could take to avoid that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Snacks Redux posted:

So I got my case and mobo yesterday and everything else today. My plan is to start my build after work but watching YouTube videos/my motherboard box has me worried about static. I definitely don’t want to brick anything. I planned on building it on my kitchen table (wood table, linoleum floors) and using the motherboard box to keep it off the table. Does that sound okay or are there any steps, besides buying the special straps, that I could take to avoid that?

Touch some grounded metal before you touch any parts of the computer to ground yourself. For the most part metal devices with three prong plugs have grounded cases, but you can also just plug the power supply into the wall and touch it. You don't have to turn it on for the ground to be connected. Don't wear fleece.

BleepBlip
Jul 22, 2003

"These kind of skills?"
I'm wading back into parts shopping after building my first pc back in 2013. Aiming to get my hands on a Valve Index (once more stock is made available) and would like to get the highest framerate and decent settings I can achieve to help cut down on motion sickness. My current machine has an i5-4570, 8GB DDR3-1600, Samsung 850 Evo and a 1070 Founders Edition GPU.

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming/VR
What's your budget? $1,200-$1,500 would be ideal.

This will not primarily be a work computer, really just want to drive the Index. Thanks for any guidance that's available. I'm wondering if I should upgrade other parts, keep the 1070 and upgrade the GPU later in the fall incase Nvidia gets some competition and prices come down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Klyith posted:

Ryzen can't do odd-numbered CAS timing, so don't pay extra for CL15 over 16.

It can if you turn off “gear down mode” in the cpu/memory settings of your BIOS.