Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

less than three posted:

I'm in a newly built PBR and the point is that people will just not bite because it's unaffordable. $3000 for a small 2 bedroom is unacceptable. Renters don't care about ROI just about being to live somewhere.
Coming soon: rent to own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Isn't that a mortgage. :lol:

e: as a renter at least you're not on the hook when it all starts falling apart.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 17, 2020

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

less than three posted:

I'm in a newly built PBR and the point is that people will just not bite because it's unaffordable. $3000 for a small 2 bedroom is unacceptable. Renters don't care about ROI just about being to live somewhere.

Agreed, it’s unsustainable; and what Vancouver (and most Canadian cities) need is a bunch of government built housing. However that alone won’t fix it; they do need to deal with the fact that most of Vancouver is horribly under built and deal with the SFH zoning issues.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

less than three posted:

Isn't that a mortgage. :lol:

e: as a renter at least you're not on the hook when it all starts falling apart.

I mean, considering what the rental market is like, and notwithstanding the actual letter of the RTA, as a landlord you're not really on the hook either :v:

Speaking from experience. Landlords do not put in the necessary maintenance to keep a building from falling apart, and I'm pretty sure the logic is that they'll just sell it for the land later.

Gorau posted:

Agreed, it’s unsustainable; and what Vancouver (and most Canadian cities) need is a bunch of government built housing. However that alone won’t fix it; they do need to deal with the fact that most of Vancouver is horribly under built and deal with the SFH zoning issues.

It's almost as if the whole supply-side/demand-side argument isn't an either-or thing.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Just saw a patient in Edmonton who had been renovicted at the end of December. With 2 days' notice. And had all his furniture tossed out on the lawn so he lost everything.

He's presently homeless in -40 weather and of course is going to lose his additional shelter subsidy through Alberta Works as he is no longer paying rent. He came to me asking to write a note so his social worker will pay for boots as he only has shoes and his feet are cold.

This kind of notice is super illegal, but how is this guy gonna fight it? He has no money to hire a lawyer. And even if the arbitration mechanisms weren't loaded in favour of the landlord in this province, he's too busy trying not to freeze to death to push for an arbitration date.

Everything delenda est.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Does that not seem like a matter for the police at this point? I would've thought that all other things being equal, he has lawful access to the property as a few days notice is obviously not reasonable.

qhat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 17, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

Just saw a patient in Edmonton who had been renovicted at the end of December. With 2 days' notice. And had all his furniture tossed out on the lawn so he lost everything.

He's presently homeless in -40 weather and of course is going to lose his additional shelter subsidy through Alberta Works as he is no longer paying rent. He came to me asking to write a note so his social worker will pay for boots as he only has shoes and his feet are cold.

This kind of notice is super illegal, but how is this guy gonna fight it? He has no money to hire a lawyer. And even if the arbitration mechanisms weren't loaded in favour of the landlord in this province, he's too busy trying not to freeze to death to push for an arbitration date.

Everything delenda est.

Ugh. For what it's worth, while browsing arbitration cases in BC, I found one similar one to this. In that case, the arbitrator was clearly furious with the landlord.

Unfortunately, that was about ten years ago, when RTA arbitrators didn't have the power to hand out fines, so all he could do was award the guy an amount for his lost property and rent.

qhat posted:

Does that not seem like a matter for the police at this point? I would've thought that all other things being equal, he has lawful access to the property as a few days notice is obviously not reasonable.

Probably, actually. He'd probably need a copy of his tenancy agreement to show them, but most eviction defense guides do recommend involving the police if the landlords are trying to kick you out illegally. (And especially if they've done something like dump all your stuff out and change the locks.)

Also just reading Alberta tenancy law is kinda grossing me out. Every single person living in your unit has to be on the lease, and the landlord can serve you 14 days notice for them to move out if someone who isn't on the lease is living with you, and if they don't, they can evict you.

So what happens when someone has a baby? Can the landlord serve notice on the baby and then kick you out when the baby doesn't comply?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Coming soon: rent to own!

Does that not exist for properties in Canada?

Where I live that is actuall an option: you agree on a price of sale and a monthly rent plus the length of the rent period. You then start paying the rent until the time period is up (usually 3-5 years), and at that time you get the option to buy at the original agreed price minus all the rent you've payed, or you can renew the same contract (adjusting to current market price), or just not buy and leave without being on the hook for the property.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

qhat posted:

Yeah, I've recommended involving the police through his housing support workers. I know nothing's going to happen, though, because the system isn't exactly set up to favour old homeless guys. I needed to rant more than anything else.

Ironically I rent out a condo to a couple of university students. My property manager keeps suggesting I increase the rent and I've refused largely because of this thread!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

El Laucha posted:

Does that not exist for properties in Canada?

Where I live that is actuall an option: you agree on a price of sale and a monthly rent plus the length of the rent period. You then start paying the rent until the time period is up (usually 3-5 years), and at that time you get the option to buy at the original agreed price minus all the rent you've payed, or you can renew the same contract (adjusting to current market price), or just not buy and leave without being on the hook for the property.

Wow that actually seems...kinda cool? I don't know how economically that would work with people pushing their lending out even further but it's like a pre-mortgage I guess?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If it did exist nobody would use it, because with our volatile land prices nobody would be able to agree on what the price would be 3-5 years in the future.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Wow that actually seems...kinda cool? I don't know how economically that would work with people pushing their lending out even further but it's like a pre-mortgage I guess?

The downside is that typically the rent-to-owner is responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the place rather than the landlord, the rent is usually higher, and only a small portion of the rent is counted against the purchase price at the end of the term. Also, the tenant usually has to put down a bunch of money up front (though less than a downpayment, usually 1-3% of the price) and if they don't qualify for a mortgage at the end of the term the landlord doesn't have to renew the contract and the renter just loses all their equity.

It's basically a car lease, but for a house.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Yeah it's not really predatory or anything as long as you understand the terms, but it's usually not a good deal.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The Butcher posted:

Yeah it's not really predatory or anything as long as you understand the terms, but it's usually not a good deal.

If something is usually not a good deal, and requires careful examination for it not to be predatory, then it kinda is predatory.

See also: car leases.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

The Butcher posted:

Rent to own schemes are historically predatory because they specifically advertise to people who are most likely to not convert.

But otherwise they provide a rationalization for higher rents.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yeah, I've recommended involving the police through his housing support workers. I know nothing's going to happen, though, because the system isn't exactly set up to favour old homeless guys. I needed to rant more than anything else.

Ironically I rent out a condo to a couple of university students. My property manager keeps suggesting I increase the rent and I've refused largely because of this thread!

Generally it's a good idea to involve the police anyway because if the landlord is in the wrong, he can haul their rear end in to small claims (no lawyer needed) later on for any damages and compensation, the police report serves as evidence of wrongdoing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Boot and Rally posted:

You seem to post quite a bit of content, which is good, but I can’t figure out what your position is. What is your position on the housing market? What is the solution to the problems you may outline in that position?

Ahh I forgot to respond to this, but yeah my position is basically this:

Juul-Whip posted:

I agree that a vast supply of non-market housing should be built.

We've had 7 years of literally unprecedented amounts of new housing construction combined with all sorts of policy fiddling and yet housing remains extremely expensive, vacancies near zero and rents spiking. You'd think it would be time to finally admit that the for-profit housing industry can't solve this problem, but we're seemingly no where near that.

As I see it Metro Vancouver needs a housing organization that constantly, regardless of market conditions, builds publicly owned apartment buildings. Some of these units should be market rate units to help fund some of the units which should be below market priced units. The province and Metro Vancouver municipalities should raise income taxes and property taxes to fund this.

Additionally the Provincial and Federal governments need to start to unwind the variety of incentives that make becoming an amateur landlord and investing in housing an attractive idea. This would significantly decrease demand for condos and help rebalance the market.

A tangential housing problem from purely affordability concerns is the lack of housing option variety in Metro Vancouver (CoV in particular). Either you're able to afford a fee simple Single Family House or you have to live in a strata operated apartment building. Moving on from an apartment to something larger is a pretty big leap and overly challenging. This issue effects all Canadian cities to some respect. It's dumb that the majority of surface area is reserved for SFHs. At the very least row houses, fourplexes and small apartment buildings should be allowed everywhere.

Unfortunately there's no evidence at all that substantial housing policy change is on the horizon.

In the last federal election, despite housing appearing near the top of many lists of concerns in polling, the issue of affordable housing was an afterthought. No party really suggested anything novel or different, merely a promise to build "more housing" *hand waves*.

In the Vancouver election several new parties were offering radical approaches, but they were all crushed. Angry voters threw out the previous Vision slate and elected a variety of councillors that promised "more housing." The new Vancouver council has essentially maintained the exact same policies as the Vision government that came before them (lmao).

The BC NDP have followed through on the demand side policies that target foreign capital, but haven't done too much otherwise. They're in a minority situation and as expected since being elected have swung hard to the centre.

Personally I've decided that no substantial change to the status quo is going to happen since too much Canadian wealth is locked up in housing, and I'm not holding my breath for a bubble to pop before buying property. I've already bought one.

Locally in Vancouver I don't really see support to get to the public housing solution any time soon. COPE are the activist left political party that supports public housing. +1 there for having the right idea. Unfortunately they seem overly inflexible. No housing should be allowed at all until we adopt FULL COMMUNISM first. I mean their single councillor recently voted against a market built, mid rise apartment that would have had 20% below market housing and rent control on those units tied to the unit (meaning rent wouldn't rise even if someone moved out). If you can't approve that because you're holding out for a better deal man, I think you're gonna be waiting a while...

I post a lot in this thread because housing is this interesting, seemingly intractable, problem that's really at the core of municipal politics. I talk a lot about Vancouver because it's where Canada's housing issues are acute and it's also where I live so I know a lot about what is going on. It would be great to have more posters talk about what is going on in their towns.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 18, 2020

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

Perfect stocking stuffer for thread readers?

quote:

Vancouver author recounts 140 years of real estate horror stories
Land of Destiny is available now via Anvil Press

It’s a book chronicling 140 years of real estate calamity, colossal greed and even “skulduggery,” yet its name is Land of Destiny.

When explaining the title, author Jesse Donaldson’s voice straddles between black humour, disbelief and a faint touch of hopelessness.

I was just checking on this since I threw a hold on a library copy when you posted this and they're almost lending them out now.

VPL: 64 holds on 10 copies
BPL: 5 holds on 4 copies
NWPL: 0 holds on 1 copy
Surrey: 12 holds on 4 copies

Burnaby supremacy yet again! (I think anyone who's been in New West's library will concede the point).

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

James Baud posted:

I was just checking on this since I threw a hold on a library copy when you posted this and they're almost lending them out now.

VPL: 64 holds on 10 copies
BPL: 5 holds on 4 copies
NWPL: 0 holds on 1 copy
Surrey: 12 holds on 4 copies

Burnaby supremacy yet again! (I think anyone who's been in New West's library will concede the point).

What’s wrong with NWPL? It’s a small city library but the building itself is newly renovated.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

What’s wrong with NWPL? It’s a small city library but the building itself is newly renovated.

Chiefly that the library has next to zero catalog, such that if you live in New West and don't want to wait around for an interlibrary loan on much of what you read, (or, if the book is available but popular, to sit around waiting on hold for the 1-2 copies they have for a year), you'd end up going to Burnaby for everything anyway since it's only a few minutes away. Surrey's reasonably close to much of New West by car/transit, too, but the hold ratios I just posted were fairly typical so there wasn't really much reason to try Surrey since I wouldn't be out there anyway... though I did need to go to VPL for the more obscure titles.

Anyway, I just did a quick burn through several 2018 municipal financial reports and 2018 population estimates from BC Stats for a few cities to see if New West was cheaping out and the answer is "not really". As such, I think they'd be better off throwing in with Surrey or, more likely, Burnaby.

2018 Per Capita Library Spending ($):
Burnaby: 52.40
Coquitlam: 37.42
New Westminster: 44.04
Surrey: 35.42
Vancouver: 81.88

Coquitlam had what I was doing cross-library surveys for less often than New West ... For outsiders, the entire metro has a program where you can re-use your existing library card at other civic libraries, though it's not automatic - you need to sign up for it in each city the first time you go to borrow something.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Huh that's funny. I wonder if the service would be better if they joined up with the Fraser Valley Regional Library.

Weirdo Library fact: I stopped in at the library in Masset, Haida Gwaii and was surprised to find out that all the libraries on Haida Gwaii are part of the Vancouver Island Regional Library. That gives them a lot more access to books but boy I wonder how long those books take to get there.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

James Baud posted:

Chiefly that the library has next to zero catalog, such that if you live in New West and don't want to wait around for an interlibrary loan on much of what you read, (or, if the book is available but popular, to sit around waiting on hold for the 1-2 copies they have for a year), you'd end up going to Burnaby for everything anyway since it's only a few minutes away. Surrey's reasonably close to much of New West by car/transit, too, but the hold ratios I just posted were fairly typical so there wasn't really much reason to try Surrey since I wouldn't be out there anyway... though I did need to go to VPL for the more obscure titles.

Anyway, I just did a quick burn through several 2018 municipal financial reports and 2018 population estimates from BC Stats for a few cities to see if New West was cheaping out and the answer is "not really". As such, I think they'd be better off throwing in with Surrey or, more likely, Burnaby.

2018 Per Capita Library Spending ($):
Burnaby: 52.40
Coquitlam: 37.42
New Westminster: 44.04
Surrey: 35.42
Vancouver: 81.88

Coquitlam had what I was doing cross-library surveys for less often than New West ... For outsiders, the entire metro has a program where you can re-use your existing library card at other civic libraries, though it's not automatic - you need to sign up for it in each city the first time you go to borrow something.

Interesting stuff...thanks for the legwork. I actually have a Surrey library card from when I lived there, and have been borrowing books by my Kobo eReader...works great, and waits are pretty short.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 20, 2020

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I bought the book but I've been so busy recently that I haven't had a chance to open it. When I get around to reading it I'll definitely post any passages that I think the thread would find interesting.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Personally I've decided that no substantial change to the status quo is going to happen since too much Canadian wealth is locked up in housing, and I'm not holding my breath for a bubble to pop before buying property. I've already bought one.

I don't disagree with any of your post -- the situation seems pretty hopeless. I'm just curious as to what you bought and for how much?

I casually looked at a 700 sqft two-bedroom apartment on sale across the street from us. It's functionally identical to the place we're renting. The asking price was $480K. When I calculated out the mortgage, strata fees and maintenance costs, it came to about $3.7K/month to buy. We pay $2.1K/month to rent.

Now, that place is probably a bit better maintained than ours. Our landlord is pretty much running the building into the ground, and I don't know what he'll do when it needs a new roof or water starts getting into the envelope. But even so, it just doesn't make any sense (and definitely is beyond our low-six-figure-gross-income means) to buy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lead out in cuffs posted:

[...]beyond our low-six-figure-gross-income means to buy.
Thread title. So Depressing.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 20, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2020/01/21/Play-The-Vancouver-Housing-Game-On-Your-Phone/

Slightly more uplifting?

quote:

In the first act... you get evicted! Your landlord wants to raise rent by 70 per cent. You can’t afford it, so you must scour a map of rental listings to find a new home.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

It's a bit on the nose, but a cool explanation of how this type of co-op can work.

We are probably going to need a lot more of these sorts of setups, and soon.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Massive special report on housing in The Economist this week (well, last week's issue, but my copy just arrived today):

https://www.economist.com/special-report/2020/01/16/housing-is-at-the-root-of-many-of-the-rich-worlds-problems

When The Economist says that the market is broken, the market is really broken.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
You think the magical thinking of those insisting that housing can go up forever, decoupling from wages, will be dissuaded by the Economist? :lol:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Massive special report on housing in The Economist this week (well, last week's issue, but my copy just arrived today):

https://www.economist.com/special-report/2020/01/16/housing-is-at-the-root-of-many-of-the-rich-worlds-problems

Paste content? nevermind

Coincidentally, Citations Needed's most recent episode puts their articles in perspective (ep98) "The Refined Sociopathy of The Economist". (Link)

Edit: added link

rgocs fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 24, 2020

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Could you please paste the article?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

half cocaine posted:

Could you please paste the article?
That was my first reaction, then I noticed it's only the entry point to a whole 8-article issue/report. But here it is anyway:

quote:

Housing is at the root of many of the rich world’s problems

Since the second world war, governments across the rich world have made three big mistakes, says Callum Williams

Special reportJan 16th 2020 edition

Jan 16th 2020

The financial crisis of 2008-10 illustrated the immense dangers of a mismanaged housing market. In America during the early to mid-2000s irresponsible, sometimes illegal, mortgage lending led many households to accumulate more debt than they could sustain. Between 2000 and 2007 America’s household debt rose from 104% of household income to 144%. House prices rose by 50% in real terms. The ensuing wave of defaults led to a global recession and nearly brought down the financial system.

From the 1960s to the 2000s a quarter of recessions in the rich world were associated with steep declines in house prices. Recessions associated with credit crunches and house-price busts were deeper and lasted longer than other recessions did. Yet the damage caused by poorly managed housing markets goes much deeper than financial crises and recessions, as harmful as they are. In rich countries, and especially in the English-speaking world, housing is too expensive, damaging the economy and poisoning politics. And it is becoming ever more so: from their post-crisis low, global real house prices have since risen by 15%, taking them well past their pre-crisis peak.

Traditionally politicians like it when house prices rise. People feel richer and therefore borrow and spend more, giving the economy a nice boost, they think. When everyone is feeling good about their financial situation, incumbent politicians have a higher chance of re-election.

But there is another side. Costly housing is unambiguously bad for the rich world’s growing population of renters, forcing them to trim spending on other goods and services. And an economic policy which relies on homebuyers taking on large debts is not sustainable. In the short term, finds a study by the imf, rising household debt boosts economic growth and employment. But households then need to rein in spending to repay their loans, so in three to five years, those effects are reversed: growth becomes slower than it would have been otherwise, and the odds of a financial crisis increase.

Malfunctioning housing markets also hit the supply side of the economy. The rich world’s most productive cities do not build enough new houses, constraining their growth and making them more expensive than they would otherwise be. People who would like to move to London, San Francisco or Sydney cannot afford to do so. Since productivity and wages are much higher in cities than outside, that reduces overall gdp.

So it is bad news that, in recent decades, the rich world has got worse at building new homes. A recent paper by Kyle Herkenhoff, Lee Ohanian and Edward Prescott argues that in America this process has “slowed interstate migration, reduced factor reallocation, and depressed output and productivity relative to historical trends”. Constraints on urban growth also make it harder to reduce carbon-dioxide emissions, since big cities are the most efficient built forms. In America there are more building restrictions in places which have lower emissions per household.

Housing is also a big reason why many people across the rich world feel that the economy does not work for them. Whereas baby-boomers tend to own big, expensive houses, youngsters must increasingly rent somewhere cramped with their friends, fomenting millennials’ resentment of their elders. Thomas Piketty, an economist, has claimed that in recent decades the return to capital has exceeded what is paid to labour in the form of wages, raising inequality. But others have critiqued Mr Piketty’s findings, pointing out that what truly explains the rise in the capital share is growing returns on housing.

Other research, meanwhile, has found that housing is behind some of the biggest political shocks of recent years. Housing markets and populism are closely linked. Britons living in areas where house prices are stagnant were more likely to vote for Brexit in 2016, and French people for the far-right National Front in the presidential elections of 2017, according to research from Ben Ansell of Oxford University and David Adler of the European University Institute. Political disputes sparked the protests in Hong Kong, but the outrageous cost of accommodation in the city-state has added economic fuel to the political flames.

This special report will argue that since the second world war, governments across the rich world have made three big mistakes. They have made it too difficult to build the accommodation that their populations require; they have created unwise economic incentives for households to funnel more money into the housing market; and they have failed to design a regulatory infrastructure to constrain housing bubbles.

Happily, they are at last starting to recognise the damage caused by these policies. In Britain the government now openly says that the housing market is “broken”. Scott Morrison, Australia’s prime minister, has pledged to make housing more affordable. Canada’s recent election was fought partly on who would do more to rein in the country’s spiralling housing costs. Carrie Lam, Hong Kong’s chief executive, has put housing front and centre in her response to the protesters.

They need to learn from places where the housing market broadly works—and those places do exist. As this report shows, flexible planning systems, appropriate taxation and financial regulation can turn housing into a force for social and economic stability. Singapore’s public-housing system helps improve social inclusion; mortgage finance in Germany helped the country avoid the worst of the 2008-10 crisis; Switzerland’s planning system goes a long way to explaining why populism has so far not taken off there. Governments across the world need to act decisively, and without delay. Nothing less than the world’s economic and political stability is at stake. 
Here's the list of articles in the issue:

HousingShaking the foundations
-Housing is at the root of many of the rich world’s problems
-How housing became the world’s biggest asset class
-Politicians are finally doing something about housing shortages
-A decade on from the housing crash, new risks are emerging
-Owner-occupation is not always a better deal than renting
-Home ownership is in decline
-Governments are rethinking the provision of public housing
-What is the future of the rich world’s housing markets?

Edit: added titles

rgocs fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 24, 2020

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

rgocs posted:

That was my first reaction, then I noticed it's only the entry point to a whole 8-article issue/report.

Yes, that's why I posted the entry point...multiple walls of text didn't seem to be of value. Hope you found it interesting...I did.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

lol house blockchain

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...s-it-would.html

quote:

Here’s how it works: If a prospective homebuyer wants a home for $1 million but can only realistically afford to carry a mortgage on $500,000, then an investor of some kind could be found to buy the other half of the home.

The homebuyer would live in the entire house, but only pay the mortgage on half of it. The investor who finances the other half would receive a rent-like fee for the housing services the homebuyer uses, and also pocket half the capital gains or losses in the home’s value.

“That’s complicated but that’s a solution to the affordability issue,” Poloz argues. “I’m thinking of it that way because it kind of gives me a clue of the sorts of things we could try to do to at least begin to address the affordability problem. We will not address it by wishing it away, or somehow building more houses.”

yes, this would of course improve affordability, and prices would not immediately spike to soak up the additional available purchasing power

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"The investor who finances the other half would receive a rent-like fee for the housing services the homebuyer uses"

We could call it "interest"... Is this rent-like fee seriously going to be less than 2.5% because capital gains are so assured?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
That's some pretty wack late stage capitalism poo poo, especially to be hearing from the BoC gov.

quote:

an investor of some kind could be found...

The investor who finances the other half would receive a rent-like fee for the housing services the homebuyer uses

Has some pretty ominous undertones.

"This is Cutface Tony, he's gonna be your investment partner. He's gonna be by every month to pick up his share of the uh, fees. Now, before we sign the papers, there's just a little job we need you to do... Congratulations on becoming a home owner!"

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 25, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
financialize yourself and face to bloodshed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
As per the contract, your investment partner Cutface Tony does have a copy of all the keys.

As this is not a rental, no notice is required for Tony to enter the unit.