Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s probably the best game I played in 2017. You’ll love it unless you have that weird goon allergy to open world games.

I do have weird goon things but allergies to open world games is definitely not one of them. In fact, I think a lot of my faves are all open worlds... STALKER series, AC Origins/Odyssey, even WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Same. Open world games are my favorite.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

don't spoil it

like i know there's a statute of limitations on this stuff and HZD isn't exactly new, but spoiling this one would be absolutely criminal

I won't.

I'm also amazed because I thought the dude just sucked and it was a goon thing, but apparently it's more then that.

J
Jun 10, 2001

HZD is great, and even if you don't care for open world games you can ignore most of the open world icon hunt stuff which is what I did.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would never trust a used graphics card post-bitcoin tbh, even if it's an insane deal.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

I would never trust a used graphics card post-bitcoin tbh, even if it's an insane deal.

oh was that the reason it was so cheap? yeech gross

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Remotely modern Nvidia GPUs are not in any way harmed by mining. I would happily buy Nvidia GPUs from a miner, they're going to have been babied far more than a GPU from a gamer. Newer AMD GPUs generally aren't harmed either, except that unlike Nvidia GPUs they can be flashed with a mining BIOS (to reduce power usage and make them more efficient) and it can be a pain to find the right one to flash back.

The real thing that would concern me is that newer games are starting to show big architectural gains for Turing vs Pascal, so the value proposition on 10-series GPUs is really starting to fall off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Same. Open world games are my favorite.

I love open world games, but for whatever reason any time one that isn’t RDR2 is mentioned in an SA thread someone will jump in to call it an Ubisoft-style mess. (I also happen to love most Ubi games, but anyway)

Done right, an open world game can be a lot of fun. Done wrong, you have RDR2, where it’s a bunch of stuff made to waste your time for no reward.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's not an allergy so much as it is a fatigue. There's so many big open world games with meaningless checklists to fill that it's easy to burn out on them as a concept if you don't carefully pick which ones to play.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I love open world games, but for whatever reason any time one that isn’t RDR2 is mentioned in an SA thread someone will jump in to call it an Ubisoft-style mess. (I also happen to love most Ubi games, but anyway)

Done right, an open world game can be a lot of fun. Done wrong, you have RDR2, where it’s a bunch of stuff made to waste your time for no reward.

I feel like that post was fine-tuned to trigger somebody.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's not an allergy so much as it is a fatigue. There's so many big open world games with meaningless checklists to fill that it's easy to burn out on them as a concept if you don't carefully pick which ones to play.
Honestly, I like having an open world. I really do. It makes any game feel more like a place and less like a game to me, which is often something I really enjoy. I still really agree with your sentiment, though. Far too many open world games just have tons and tons of empty space and repetitive "activities" for the sake of having them, without making any of it really interesting at all. At that point, it just becomes a chore.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The only open-world games I ever really played much of were the Elder Scrolls and Shadow of Mordor series. I liked Elder Scrolls for the mostly messing around with mods and I liked Mordor for the nemesis orc system, and neither of those qualities are available in most open-world games. I've tried the assassins' creed set in Italy way back in the day but found the combat super shallow and the stealth was real unimpressive compared to batman-style predator rooms or the Shadow of Mordor orc weakness / strength stuff to mix fights up.

When it came out I heard HZD was good but didn't really pay much attention to it since it was console-only. Does it have stuff that makes it good besides lizard-brain checklist mapsweeping?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

wait are 1080's really going for $200 these days? i paid $300 for a 1060 during the bitcoin boom, dammit

Yeah. The bitcoin thing has mostly settled down now that GPU’s mine less than they cost to run.

The other thing affecting prices is that RTX didn’t light the world on fire, so higher end 10xx cards are still really good if you don’t care about RTX.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Cowcaster posted:

Nvidia cards that were used for mining generally aren’t a problem. They have limits to their ability to be overclocked.

AMD cards are the risk if they’ve been used to mine. Their BIOSes can be replaced with modified ones that remove the frequency limits and they can be run at any speed that won’t outright crash them, some of those speeds are high enough to damage the card.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I assure you, my hatred of that turd is genuine.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I assure you, my hatred of that turd is genuine.

RDR2 is cool and good and tickles my frontiersman fantasy in just about every way.

I'm sorry that it's not for you, my friend.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unless you need high FPS 4K or do VR, most things over a 1080 are pretty overkill

No. 1440p already puts the 1080 to her limits with quite a few engines and games.

I currently have 1080/3700x setup with 2k/4k output and engines like Capcoms RE, most of Ubisoft, obvsl. RDR2, Witcher 3, etc are very limited by the GPU.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, 4K can't really be compared to 1080p. It requires four times the GPU performance for the same framerate, roughly. A 1080 can handle 4K, but not at max settings.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Kinda bummed that this thread is so casually spoiling the part of Horizon Zero Dawn where you play Marry,gently caress,Kill with The Sun King, Ted Faro, and The Huge Robot Brontosaurus.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

Remotely modern Nvidia GPUs are not in any way harmed by mining. I would happily buy Nvidia GPUs from a miner, they're going to have been babied far more than a GPU from a gamer. Newer AMD GPUs generally aren't harmed either, except that unlike Nvidia GPUs they can be flashed with a mining BIOS (to reduce power usage and make them more efficient) and it can be a pain to find the right one to flash back.

The real thing that would concern me is that newer games are starting to show big architectural gains for Turing vs Pascal, so the value proposition on 10-series GPUs is really starting to fall off.
There are a handful of games where the old generation's relative power to the new card is slightly less than when the RTX generation came out. The difference is nowhere near significant enough unless you're trying to get the last 5% out of a card for high refresh rate e-sports or absurd resolutions at "must never move any slider from the highest option" details. By the time that becomes an actual issue for a GTX 1070 Ti/1080/1080 Ti there will be an even newer generation of GPUs out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

enjoy that baked-in libertarian smell

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I got a 580 just now and it runs Jedi Fallen Order maxed, I don't ask for much, really.

Most of the time you can, like, kill some weird feature and get enough frames to hit 60/1080 on most midrange cards anyway.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/endlesshistory/status/1218280798337601536

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deakul posted:

RDR2 is cool and good and tickles my frontiersman fantasy in just about every way.

I'm sorry that it's not for you, my friend.

Every time I was almost about to have fun, the game would end up doing something that got in my way and drove me nuts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wasn't the whole point of allowing raytracing on non-RTX cards because the 10xx series is basically just as powerful otherwise? So in one way it proves the RTX has something to offer, and in another way it kinda depreciates the 10xx stuff because now you can't max things out anymore (because the max settings involve raytracing now) and people get upgrade fever?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

How's the new Goku game?

I was curious so I checked out a stream of some gameplay and the English voice acting was awful. I haven't watched DBZ since elementary school so I don't know if it's in line with newer versions of the show, but it just sounds like bad acting. I don't plan on getting the game so I didn't watch long enough to judge gameplay.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

How's the new Goku game?

I still haven't fought Radditz but so far I would say eh. When fighting you have a dash/dodge button, a punch button, a ki blast button and can do 3 special moves, I've spent most of my time picking up various orbs in the overworld that I will eventually be able to upgrade super moves with and fighting that pirate robot from dragon ball. Until the game suddenly does something that will blow my mind I say wait for a sale unless you're a hardcore dragonball fan.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mzbundifund posted:

The only open-world games I ever really played much of were the Elder Scrolls and Shadow of Mordor series. I liked Elder Scrolls for the mostly messing around with mods and I liked Mordor for the nemesis orc system, and neither of those qualities are available in most open-world games. I've tried the assassins' creed set in Italy way back in the day but found the combat super shallow and the stealth was real unimpressive compared to batman-style predator rooms or the Shadow of Mordor orc weakness / strength stuff to mix fights up.

When it came out I heard HZD was good but didn't really pay much attention to it since it was console-only. Does it have stuff that makes it good besides lizard-brain checklist mapsweeping?

Horizon Zero Dawn has a really strong central storyline and a much deeper combat system than most open-world RPGs. The world itself is also quite compact and doesn't really demand that you participate in clearing out each possible activity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn has a really strong central storyline and a much deeper combat system than most open-world RPGs. The world itself is also quite compact and doesn't really demand that you participate in clearing out each possible activity.

As far as map sweeping goes, though, the vantage points are a must. They fill out the backstory some and have a really well-written story of their own.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Wasn't the whole point of allowing raytracing on non-RTX cards because the 10xx series is basically just as powerful otherwise? So in one way it proves the RTX has something to offer, and in another way it kinda depreciates the 10xx stuff because now you can't max things out anymore (because the max settings involve raytracing now) and people get upgrade fever?

“Just as powerful” is just a statement about performance at a given price point. If Turing didn’t have RT or tensor cores, the cards would cost less and we would have seen a more typical generational performance/price gain.

The theory I’ve seen is that Turing was originally developed for 10nm, so NVidia was banking on a reduced due cost to help give them a price-point performance increase. The 10nm process didn’t pan out, but when the bitcoin boom proved that gamers would pay more for cards they decided they could run with 12nm.

On buying used: I wouldn’t worry too much about mined AMD cards either if you’re buying on eBay or from other sites with similar buyer protections. You have 45 days to initiate a return, and any sort of undisclosed issue is good enough to initiate a return, regardless of the seller’s claimed policy (so long as the item is marked “pre-owned” instead of “for parts”).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember the first times I saw a Thunderjaw or a Stormbird in HZD and was like “Oh that’s pretty big better start sneaking around it” and then I sneaked for a bit and realized I was actually still really far away and realized they were actually really loving big.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

gently caress Ted Faro and congrats pc people you get one of the best open world games ever. It's so fun to just gently caress around and explore and fight in that game and they were judicious enough in how much they put in that even my lazy, ADD having, backlog filling rear end 100%ed it.

Kibayasu posted:

I remember the first times I saw a Thunderjaw or a Stormbird in HZD and was like “Oh that’s pretty big better start sneaking around it” and then I sneaked for a bit and realized I was actually still really far away and realized they were actually really loving big.

Stormbirds always did that to me, cause like they fly which makes judging it harder. First time I even thought it was one of the vulture bots but then I realised the shape was off and oh poo poo that thing has like a 20m+ wingspan poo poo gently caress poo poo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Stickman posted:

“Just as powerful” is just a statement about performance at a given price point. If Turing didn’t have RT or tensor cores, the cards would cost less and we would have seen a more typical generational performance/price gain.

Well what I mean is the new cards that were released weren't showing much of a performance bump over a 1080 or whatever, in terms of what a 1080 could already do, so people weren't compelled to spend all that cash on 5% more FPS or whatever, which ain't good for sales

The real extra performance and capability was kinda gated behind RTX features, which didn't exist to 10xx owners - but by allowing raytracing on those cards, which ran badly, it basically showed everyone what they were missing and how they weren't seeing their games at their full potential. Like unlocking an Ultra setting for everyone that they can't actually use. You can turn it on and get a taste, but now high performance is out of reach, unless you upgrade... :homebrew:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

As far as map sweeping goes, though, the vantage points are a must. They fill out the backstory some and have a really well-written story of their own.

Hell, I liked that stuff more than the survivalist's logs in New Vegas, which is a pretty high bar to clear. I'm assuming Gonzalez wrote both, so he really outdid himself there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

baka kaba posted:

Basically the performance gap between generations kept on getting smaller and smaller to the point where they more or less just came up with RTX as the major selling point for the new generation.

So, yes, you're right.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A 1080ti can brute force raytracing as well as a 2060 does it with RTX, but the frame rates are more variable on the 1080

The 20xx gen is weird. I’m just holding out for the 30xx cards

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Well what I mean is the new cards that were released weren't showing much of a performance bump over a 1080 or whatever, in terms of what a 1080 could already do, so people weren't compelled to spend all that cash on 5% more FPS or whatever, which ain't good for sales

The real extra performance and capability was kinda gated behind RTX features, which didn't exist to 10xx owners - but by allowing raytracing on those cards, which ran badly, it basically showed everyone what they were missing and how they weren't seeing their games at their full potential. Like unlocking an Ultra setting for everyone that they can't actually use. You can turn it on and get a taste, but now high performance is out of reach, unless you upgrade... :homebrew:

Could you stop repeating that (and that RTX cores take up all the space, it's about 5% iirc)
The 2080 is a whopping 40% faster on average than a 1080 in conventional games.
You can take umbrage that's it's not sold at a similar price point due to being a massive chip/7nm not being ready or whatever was behind the decision to use a special node.
But the performance bump is absolutely there, and RTX is not a big factor. The 1660ti is just as humongous for a midrange chip, all 12nm Turings are.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

:comeback:

It's like the polar opposite of my personal preferences, but hey, to each their own. I think the thing I hate most is popping open a big map and there's just loving greebles and whatsits all over it to mindlessly collect. I remember opening the map in AC Unity, and I played after they patched in all the poo poo that originally was only unlocked via mobile companion apps or whatever and it was just a loving giant mess of map diarrhea. As opposed to something like rdr2 where I am still finding interesting stuff I missed in my first playthrough because the game lets exploration be its own reward for the most part. (And you don't get nothing for your trouble, sometimes you get a special hat or unique weapon!)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Considering how much this game rode on controversy (released shortly after Columbine) its pretty weird to see a censored trailer.

But yeah, uh... who wanted this? Will this "burly men with guns in brown warehouses and alleys simulator" be popular in 2020?

The biggest claim to fame this game has is Viktor Antonov as an art designer but I think his original vision was largely thrown out (an alternative history sci-fi 'Blade Runner'-style universe) in favor of the steampunk gangland stuff.

I'll take "decisions that come back to bite you in the rear end twenty years later", Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A Sometimes Food posted:

gently caress Ted Faro and congrats pc people you get one of the best open world games ever. It's so fun to just gently caress around and explore and fight in that game and they were judicious enough in how much they put in that even my lazy, ADD having, backlog filling rear end 100%ed it.

Stormbirds always did that to me, cause like they fly which makes judging it harder. First time I even thought it was one of the vulture bots but then I realised the shape was off and oh poo poo that thing has like a 20m+ wingspan poo poo gently caress poo poo

loving saaame. goddamn stormbirds :argh:

lol now i kinda want to dust off the ps4, it's been mothballed over a year now