Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, :holymoley:, but how is Cats 2019 so horny and yet not nearly as horny as the 1998 musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywFbpDjpZno

I saw a performance when I was 14-ish where that one cat who loses her poo poo right at the end kept her scream going for what felt like a good minute, it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YggiDee posted:

Basically in my head I compare it less to other plays and musicals and more to something like Cirque du Soleil. You're there to watch people in fun costumes dance and do backflips and sing catchy melodies. Why is this guy tapdancing and singing about a train? gently caress you, it's Skimbleshanks time. Why is this fancy lady singing while contortionists... Contort? gently caress you, it's Alegría. And you combine that with how much people like kitty cats and then go ham with the costuming and choreography because it's already weird as hell, might as well go all-in. And that's how you get technogoth cats I think.

That and individual performances and studios have their own interpretation of the characters and costume styles, and appealing to local tastes and culture.

Macavity looking like a luchador heel probably isn't a coincidence given that style of wrestling is pretty popular in Japan... and suddenly I'm feeling an urge to name an Incineroar after him.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I like that the Japanese production takes a lot of makeup inspiration from kabuki theatre, looks rad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeeeeeesss the local indie theatre is having a "yowl along" screening next Friday and Saturday with "normal cinema etiquette" not required.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I just want to say that I love you goons. Nobody else around me GETS Cats, so it's incredibly cathartic to be able to shitpost, lol, and quote lyrics about the greatest movie of 2019 with other people who appreciate the gift Hooper and Universal gave us.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It took me about three weeks to go from 'I have vaguely heard of, but never experienced, CATS' to 'I am googling bootleg productions to compare choreography' so. I guess I just really like CATS. There's no 'ironic enjoyment' or whatever, it just punched me directly in my musical theatre loving heart.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Does anyone have a gif of bustopher jones eating trash?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

YggiDee posted:

It took me about three weeks to go from 'I have vaguely heard of, but never experienced, CATS' to 'I am googling bootleg productions to compare choreography' so. I guess I just really like CATS. There's no 'ironic enjoyment' or whatever, it just punched me directly in my musical theatre loving heart.

:same: I started out by watching the movie with full expectation of just laughing at a shitshow, but the music wormed it's way into my brain. Now, I'm listening to the music every day, learning the lyrics, and desperately :f5: this thread.

MacheteZombie posted:

Does anyone have a gif of bustopher jones eating trash?

I have these:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That'll do!

Man I can't wait for a bluray release... so many gifts need to exist

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

That'll do!

Absolutely. I am hoping that they release both the pre- and post-touched up special effects.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I can't emphasize enough the baffling disconnect between the bonkers cat-person SFX and Hopper's static, lifeless direction. If the film used the traditional cat costumes from the stage show, then the movie would just be close-ups of actors in silly makeup and it would be instantly forgettable. In a hypothetical Baz Luhrmann-style Cats film, dynamic camerawork and creative sets could make the CGI cat-people feel a little more at home in the world they inhabit.

Hopper's non-directing really forces you to confront the awful CGI and insane performances with his agonizing, interminable close-ups. The combination of nightmarish characters and narcoleptic direction is what gives the film its special magic.

What the gently caress what is this fetish poo poo he just straight up pukes at the naked female lead. In any other movie, that image would become a meme and endure as a reaction GIF long, long after the source material is forgotten. In Cats, it barely even registers.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and suddenly I'm feeling an urge to name an Incineroar after him.

meanwhile Skimbleshanks is obviously Mewtwo because both are the most powerful cats in their respective universes

MacheteZombie posted:

I demand a Criterion Collection release. If Armageddon deserves one then so does Cats.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Skimble has the ultimate power, a job

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I can't emphasize enough the baffling disconnect between the bonkers cat-person SFX and Hopper's static, lifeless direction. If the film used the traditional cat costumes from the stage show, then the movie would just be close-ups of actors in silly makeup and it would be instantly forgettable. In a hypothetical Baz Luhrmann-style Cats film, dynamic camerawork and creative sets could make the CGI cat-people feel a little more at home in the world they inhabit.

I would KILL for a Baz Luhrmann-style Cats film, especially if he did it like Strictly Ballroom. By that, I mean hire Australian actors to just chew the everloving gently caress out of the scenery a la Bill "Barry Fife" Hunter.

Pick posted:

Skimble has the ultimate power, a job

This cannot be emphasized enough.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

If Hollywood is just going to remake poo poo forever, the very least they could do is remake Cats. Cats by Christopher Nolan, involving tense music and Catception. Cats by JJ Abrams, a movie made with all the sound and fury of a braying dumbass who doesn't read his writing. Cats by David Lynch featuring Macavity with a horrible face. Cats by Bong Joon-ho, where mice and roaches are used to power the Night Mail train. Cats by John Carpenter, where The Rum Tum Tugger has such beautiful sights to show you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Cats by Guillermo Del Toro

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That guy hasnt made a good movie in like 14 years.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
It is 1998. There is a Cats! pledge drive on PBS. I watch it with my grandmother. I will receive the VHS for Christmas.

It is 1999. I have discovered Yahoo Groups. Two Jellicle Cats ask me to leave their chatroom so that they can have privacy. A Web 1.0 coven calling themselves the Jacob Brent Guardian Angels fixates on Mistoffelees.

I encounter the weird internet for the first time.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Holy poo poo it still exists: http://www.angelfire.com/md2/jacobbrent/jbga_nonmembers.html

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Bogus Adventure posted:

Cats by David Lynch featuring Macavity with a horrible face.

The Cats we have now is already quite Lynchian. We have:

Deliberately exaggerated and stagey performances
Stilted dialogue
A mystery plot that goes off the rails into nightmare logic and existential horror
An ingenue
Sociopathy
Disfigurement
Deliberately bad jokes
Major celebrities in brief, unimportant roles
Diegetic musical performances
Secret knowledge deliberately withheld from the audience
Surreal and animalistic violence
Sexual depravity behind a veneer of wholesomeness

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

If Hollywood is just going to remake poo poo forever, the very least they could do is remake Cats. Cats by Christopher Nolan, involving tense music and Catception. Cats by JJ Abrams, a movie made with all the sound and fury of a braying dumbass who doesn't read his writing. Cats by David Lynch featuring Macavity with a horrible face. Cats by Bong Joon-ho, where mice and roaches are used to power the Night Mail train. Cats by John Carpenter, where The Rum Tum Tugger has such beautiful sights to show you.

Wes Anderson's Mr. Mistoffeles

Oh, well I never, was there ever
a cat so clever

Coen Bros. present Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:chanpop: :chanpop: :chanpop:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Stilted dialogue
A mystery plot that goes off the rails into nightmare logic and existential horror
An ingenue
Sociopathy
Disfigurement
Deliberately bad jokes

Lmao, this is true

MacheteZombie posted:

Wes Anderson's Mr. Mistoffeles

Oh, well I never, was there ever
a cat so clever

Tim Burton's Cats:

All the male cats are played by Johnny Depp, all the female cats are played by Helena Bonham Carter. Score is redone by Danny Elfman.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

Coen Bros. present Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer

gently caress YES

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cats by Jordan Peele:

Sillabub is the audience surrogate, and she is drawn into a Sunken Place by the hypnotizing songs of the Jellicle tribe.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
Sillabub/Jemima should have been the audience surrogate in the movie, imo. In the stage show Victoria is basically mute (fan theory is she’s one of those white, blue eyed cats that always go deaf). She only ever sings in the ensemble. In actuality they were supposed to be one role, but they couldn’t find someone who was equally as good at such demanding singing and dancing.
So it’s weird that they made the protagonist the one that dances, not the one that sings. Besides, it’s all even more fake now so why not make them one character again, and if your actress isn’t good enough at singing, just dub her over? They did this with a couple of people in the 98 one, iirc
Also she gets her verse in Memory at the end so you could have like, done a character arc where she learns to have sympathy for Grizabella or something

I’m so ashamed I know all of this. It’s me, I’m the one with opinions about Cats :shepicide:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Stilted dialogue
An ingenue
Sociopathy
Disfigurement
Deliberately bad jokes

code:
MUNKUSTRAP STANDS, goes to a HOLE IN THE WALL in the wall next to the 
mirror.  He lifts a flap.

A VOICE comes through the hole.

VOICE IN THE
				    HOLE
		           Growltiger is dead.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cats by Rian Johnson

Comedy take: A movie about Dogs singing to avoid getting sent down to the Abyssal Zone.

Serious take: A mystery movie about Cats using their various powers to save Old Deuteronomy from Macavity's perfidious clutches.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
CATS by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss

Save cost by giving the lead actors/actresses nothing to do, filling the cast of CATS entirely using Hollywood extras. Grinning techbros with beards they found in the office down the street, and drunk friends of the producers, all hooting and hollering together in $100,000 costumes as they rush off into battle. Send them off against the dogs army on a suicide-charge where they immediately are written off and the main characters (not even cats) promptly forget them to do some CG fantasy poo poo. Elon Musk cameo as one of the extras. Meow.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

WachowsCats:

Too Much Budget:
Overlong, lots of leather, is this Catwoman?, class warfare, cat sex, empty characters

Restricted Budget:
Philosphy on should we let cats outside, how did cats Become This Way, even more leather, likely one of the best films ever made.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YggiDee posted:

Those aren't actually the lyrics.

I’m not sure if my partial credulity in this matter says more about me or about Cats

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cats by Joss Whedon

Grizabella is chosen to go to the Heavy Side Layer, but she decides against it after meeting a really nice guy cat named Jossiles, a fat red tabby cat that is quiet and awkward.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Cats by Joss Whedon

Grizabella is chosen to go to the Heavy Side Layer, but she decides against it after meeting a really nice guy cat named Jossiles, a fat red tabby cat that is quiet and awkward.

She also does kungfu

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Brothus hasn't been a Jellicle for a long time. When his littermate Strumwaltzer becomes the Jellicle Choice, Brothus realizes that that there's more to life than catnip, warm pavement, and open trash bins.

Judd Appatow's Cats, coming soon.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Novaya_Mod3l/status/1218036767712075776

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

just another posted:

Brothus hasn't been a Jellicle for a long time. When his littermate Strumwaltzer becomes the Jellicle Choice, Brothus realizes that that there's more to life than catnip, warm pavement, and open trash bins.

Judd Appatow's Cats, coming soon.

I assume that Brothus is played by Seth Rogan, and James Franco as Strumwaltzer.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Bogus Adventure posted:

Cats by Joss Whedon

This is a really weird attempt to burn Whedon considering that fat people don't exist in his shows and his favourite character arc is 'quiet awkward person becomes a better person by no longer being quiet and awkward'.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Taika Waititi's Cats:

A group of stray cats living in the Greater Wellington Region sneak into a second-run theater and see Tom Hooper's Cats. Inspired by the movie, the group try to put on their own version of the show. Led by Stubbiejumper (Waititi), the cats have to deal with outrageous behavior of their Rum Tum Tugger (Jemaine Clement), the stage fright of Mister Mistoffelees (Bret McKenzie), and a sundowning Old Deuteronomy (Sam Neill). Also starring Lucy Lawless, Rhys Darby, and Keisha Castle-Hughes.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

MICHAEL BAY'S CATS

A BOMB EXPLODES IN THE HEAVISIDE LAYER. TUMBLEBRUTUS (Mark Wahlberg) RUSHES TO TH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If Macavity has broken every human law it means he’s a child rapist and a tax cheat. We do not stan.