Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My god. Their economic anxiety must be through the roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Handsome Ralph posted:

Can someone post either the indictment or the NYT article? Want to read but paywalls.

It's the WSJ, and I got you:

Wall Street Journal posted:

Men Discussed Opening Fire at Pro-Gun Rally in Richmond, Officials Say

Other suspected members of white-supremacist group the Base arrested in Georgia

By  Jon Kamp and  Dan Frosch

Jan. 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Three suspected white supremacists arrested in Maryland and Delaware this week had discussed opening fire from different positions at Monday’s planned pro-gun rally in Richmond, Va., in the hopes of causing chaos, law-enforcement officials said.

Authorities also confirmed they arrested three other men in Georgia this week who are allegedly linked to the same violent, white-supremacist group, called “the Base,” as the men who were heading to Virginia. The Georgia men were arrested on Wednesday for plotting to murder a Georgia couple, the Floyd County, Ga., police department said Friday.

The group’s activities include recruiting members online, meeting to discuss strategy and practicing at a paramilitary training camp on a 100-acre tract in Silver Creek, Ga., county police said. Silver Creek is an unincorporated part of the county northwest of Atlanta.

The FBI said it assisted local law enforcement on the Georgia arrests. Law-enforcement agencies have been tracking the group, which aims to “accelerate the downfall of the U.S. government, incite a race war and establish a white ethno-state,” according to an affidavit associated with the Georgia arrests, and filed in a local court.

Gun-rights advocates have rallied in Richmond on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, also known as Lobby Day, for nearly two decades. They are planning for an especially large crowd on Monday in response to Democrats’ plans to pass a slate of gun-control bills. Democrats took over both chambers of Virginia’s legislature in a November election and have moved quickly to advance legislation, including measures the Senate approved Thursday to expand background checks and limit people to one handgun purchase a month.

Gov. Ralph Northam on Wednesday declared a state of emergency and temporarily banned firearms from the grounds near the state Capitol in Richmond, citing law-enforcement concerns about violence during Monday’s rally.

Gun-rights groups sued on Thursday a Richmond court, claiming state law prohibited the Democratic governor from using the emergency declaration to enact the gun ban. Hours later, a judge upheld the governor’s order, prompting the gun-rights groups to petition the state Supreme Court.

“These threats are real—as evidenced by reports of neo-Nazis arrested this morning after discussing plans to head to Richmond with firearms,” the governor said Thursday.

Citing worries about violence, a local branch of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence said it cancelled its own gathering at the Virginia statehouse, which had been planned for later Monday.

“We are an organization that strives to promote public health and safety, and we cannot in good faith lead our supporters—some of whom are children and teenagers—into a violent, dangerous situation,” said Lori Haas, the coalition’s Virginia director. “We refuse to engage with those who seek to physically harm us.”

Officials with Gun Owners of America, which is helping organize Monday’s pro-gun rally, said the vast majority of its members are law-abiding and that rallygoers should be able to carry guns in case extremists tried to cause mayhem.

“If there’s one place a crazy murderer is not going to choose to start shooting, it will be Capitol Square in Richmond on Monday,” said Michael Hammond, GOA’s legislative counsel. “He understands before he has fired his second shot he himself will be dead. That’s assuming people can be armed. If the governor chooses to turn 20, 50, 100,000 people into sitting ducks so they can be mowed down by a crazy killer, that’s blood on his hands.”

The six men arrested this week are members of the Base, according to court documents. Members use encrypted online chat rooms to discuss ways to make improvised explosive devices and violence against African-Americans and Jewish-Americans, a Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent said in court papers.

The Base was founded in or around July 2018 for the purpose of uniting white nationalists, and its leadership encourages members to meet in person and engage in military training to prepare for violent insurgency against various targets, including the U.S. government, court documents said.

—Scott Calvert and Sadie Gurman contributed to this article.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So they have listened to so much infowars that their brains are broken and they are going to do their own false flag to create chaos? I'm very confused.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Can someone post either the indictment or the NYT article? Want to read but paywalls.

This NPR article has the affidavit in support of the arrest warrants

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This dude (Mathews) looks exactly like you think he would

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They think that in a situation where everyone is armed, and one of person starts shooting in order to sow chaos, that they will swiftly be taken down by one of the other armed people.

As opposed to what will actually happen, which is everyone just starts shooting at anyone they see shooting because the whole thing is one giant Mexican stand-off.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

BigDave posted:

wsj posted:

“If there’s one place a crazy murderer is not going to choose to start shooting, it will be Capitol Square in Richmond on Monday,” said Michael Hammond, GOA’s legislative counsel. “He understands before he has fired his second shot he himself will be dead. 

Holy fuuuuuuck cuz the one place where you think you're gonna manage to shoot ONLY the bad guys shooting at people is in the middle of a rally of paranoid gun people all wanting to be good guy with gun as theyre ALL pulling their pieces. This would have turned into a complete shitshow within seconds. Wow.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Stravag posted:

Holy fuuuuuuck cuz the one place where you think you're gonna manage to shoot ONLY the bad guys shooting at people is in the middle of a rally of paranoid gun people all wanting to be good guy with gun as theyre ALL pulling their pieces. This would have turned into a complete shitshow within seconds. Wow.
Yeah you'd have your "Good guy with a gun fucks up and shoots an innocent" x100, at the low end.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BigDave posted:

Thank you both!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

WSJ posted:

who are allegedly linked to the same violent, white-supremacist group, called “the Base,”

Y'all Qaeda strikes again

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm frankly amazed we've gone this long without someone tossing a string of firecrackers into an open-carry rally.

Also, Germany's having its annual "Dig up 4,000 lbs of Torpex" festival today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1218267237494218753?s=07

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stravag posted:

Yeah GOA dude, "before he fires his second shot" with an automatic weapon. :jerkbag:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/David_Leavitt/status/1218263908386996227?s=19

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/pooliticdad/status/1217867392577101826

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The best part is that historical last message saying that he hasn't been able to afford going to the dentist for 3 years.

Also, Target could argue that the display was for sale for a penny. It says display all over the sign!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm frankly amazed we've gone this long without someone tossing a string of firecrackers into an open-carry rally.

wow so they are just gonna get rid of it and erase history?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Bad Poster posted:

The best part is that historical last message saying that he hasn't been able to afford going to the dentist for 3 years.

Also, Target could argue that the display was for sale for a penny. It says display all over the sign!

He's famous.
He previously harassed a minimum wage worker about not getting a free refill at a drive through.

https://twitter.com/David_Leavitt/status/880503508239339520

and he made his name in the world a couple years ago:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1218313076564484099

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of these days Donnie is going to deny knowing one of his children. Though to be fair that's been an honest statement at parts of their lives, especially if their name is Tiffany.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:same:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I don’t give a poo poo about Target’s bottom line but there is no way this dude can think that the manager could actually sell him a toothbrush for almost nothing because a price that says display all over it is listed as a penny. I am sure someone up the chain would hem her up for that and while being slightly above a lowly wage slave, she isn’t far removed from the lowest worker there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm disturbed that it's only getting ratio'd 3:1

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah GOA dude, "before he fires his second shot" with an automatic weapon. :jerkbag:

The typical law abiding gun owner. And i say that as someone with almost 5k rounds in my apt

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stravag posted:

The typical law abiding gun owner. And i say that as someone with almost 5k rounds in my apt

Five hundred round bricks of 22lr don’t count.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hey most of it is in 10mm and 308 thankyou!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

shame on an IGA posted:

Plz stop bombing us, kthxbye

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LANCASTERS CURE JERRIES

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MA-Horus posted:

LANCASTERS CURE JERRIES

Those bombs are 70 years old, not seventeen, jerry.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

HELLO BOMBARDIER!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://twitter.com/SpaceForceDoD/status/1218335200964464650

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Jungle/forest camo will be very effective in space

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Join the space force if you like, you're still going to Iraq or the Mexico border

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

not caring here posted:

Join the space force if you like, you're still going to Iraq or the Mexico border

Build the space wall.

That uniform actually be cool if it was black with white lettering. As it is, what a joke. Their reasoning is "well we deploy on the ground!" No you don't. There is no reason for anyone doing space stuff to be in a combat zone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
In space, nobody can file your Travel Vouchers.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

In space, nobody can file your Travel Vouchers.

The Apollo 11 astronauts would beg to differ.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I still don't understand what the point of making it a distinct branch is in the least.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

I still don't understand what the point of making it a distinct branch is in the least.

Trump wants his name associated with it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I am mildly curious what their recruitment pitch is

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Come and violate more treaties with us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

orange juche posted:

I am mildly curious what their recruitment pitch is
I kind of doubt you'd directly recruit anyone into it, if you're not a dumbass anyway, which they are. I hope whoever comes next abolishes the whole thing and sweeps the components back where they belong.