Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

The way schools are funded in the US is one weird thing I -never- hear politicians talk about, probably because if systemic change were proposed it would be the death of just about any political career.

there's no way to meaningfully address the issue from the federal level since the way local power is apportioned is explicitly handled at the state level. it's like how when federal politicians talk about educational standards or zoning reform or whatever it's always a bunch of handwavey idealist rhetoric with little to no actual policy behind it because the strong split of american federalism means that washington has basically no leverage in forcing any kind of reform down past the state level

the feds can do things like raise the minimum tobacco age because public health and consumer product standards were loopholed into federal jurisdictional oversight, and the minimum drinking age could be tied to funding for the interstate highway system, but forcing states to consolidate school districts? that's a head puzzler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
When I was a boy I was taught to think of Americans as the two-hot-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Belgians.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Mat Cauthon posted:

This extends way past food - here in Ohio a lot of public schools in poor areas don't even have adequate climate control, so school has to be cancelled if it gets too hot.

tbf this was true when I lived in Germany too.

Everything else you said is spot on though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Burning_Monk posted:

In America, that hot lunch might be the only hot meal the kid can will get that day. :(

Fixed for my daughter's school district.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Mat Cauthon posted:

It has been tried, in Texas of all places: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_plan

Of course it got undercut as soon as the GOP could do it.

lol i remember people in my school district bitching and moaning about it, saying things like "but theyll buy things like instant action replay systems!!!" and poo poo like that, completely ignoring the rather nice football stadium our high school has.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I remember people going gaga over crispitos. I never understood it. I basically ate a baked potato and small salad ever day in elementary school, especially after I threw up after eating a hamburger.

People are more inclined to go for whatever food tastes good/gives them a dopamine response.

The fact that you were naturally inclined to go for healthier options means you were part of the minority. Either you were already used to eating these things because your parents were used to doing so, or you were an outlier. It seems really odd to be like, "I throw up from eating hamburgers, no one else makes any sense."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

I know the inscrutable oriental is of a strange and dangerous hivemind but perhaps this thing they do is good????

I'm sorry I insulted the guys who make your animes.

It's necessary to say because there is usually a contingent of people who love to jump in and explain that Japan isn't that great, actually, because 99% conviction rates and hikikimori and salarymen and :words: . And yeah, they actually are pretty fash so

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Japan is a bit fascist it's just weird to specially call that out in a discussion of cafeteria food in the US in 2020 when the US government is basically run by some unholy alliance of Russians, fundamentalist Christians, and neo Nazis.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mystes posted:

Japan is a bit fascist it's just weird to specially call that out in a discussion of cafeteria food in the US in 2020 when the US government is basically run by some unholy alliance of Russians, fundamentalist Christians, and neo Nazis.

If it needs to be clarified, America is worse in every way I can think of

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1218297464941314049

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1218297466656829440

pissbaby is awake.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

This one could very well get someone killed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How are u posted:

This one could very well get someone killed.

There's a white nationalist revolt Monday that already has people like Lee Carter forced into hiding.

He knows about it. He absolutely does.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

There Bias Two posted:

People are more inclined to go for whatever food tastes good/gives them a dopamine response.

The fact that you were naturally inclined to go for healthier options means you were part of the minority. Either you were already used to eating these things because your parents were used to doing so, or you were an outlier. It seems really odd to be like, "I throw up from eating hamburgers, no one else makes any sense."

i was a kid, and hated vomiting so naturally the experience stuck with me. It's not i didnt eat any hamburgers, just the ones from the school. Hell, even today, two decades later I can still kinda remember what they tasted like.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's a white nationalist revolt Monday that already has people like Lee Carter forced into hiding.

He knows about it. He absolutely does.

Lee Carter is pretty good all in all, but he's very moderate on guns. Crazily enough, the gun nuts now seem to think that Carter is responsible for wanting to take away their freedoms, and are hurling death threats at him. Now he's open-carrying for defense because of it. Very weird all around.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/17/virginia-lee-carter-school-strike-bill-guns

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1218309612304248834 Trump is now having a Twitter tiff with the grand ayatollah. Lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1218301644007333888

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1218310031482843136

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1218309612304248834 Trump is now having a Twitter tiff with the grand ayatollah. Lol

That writing is clearly not coming from Trump.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

:lol: that last sentence of his response letter.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My dad had a 30+ year career as a middle school principal. At his first job in the middle of nowhere shithole SW Kansas he added a salad bar to the school's cafeteria. Apparently the amount of pushback from parents was massive. I was in 2nd grade so I don't remember a lot of that, but I do remember the elementary school principal didn't have an interest in feeding healthy food to kids so that was the only place I dared to drink chocolate milk.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Make Adolescents Greasy Again

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Someone should look into if Devin there actually paid that lawyer for that work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tek79 posted:

I know the types of food served at elementary schools could differ by region other than staples like pizza, so I might be the only one here who had it, but does anybody else remember the chalupa? It was just a shallow corn chip shaped like a rectangular baking dish filled with melted cheese and something that looks like it might have been meat crumbles sprinkled on top? That was certainly something to behold.

*locks eyes with Nunes*

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm now picturing all the Iranian people who love Trump, wearing turbans with maga hats on top

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I like this Parnas guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1218310761145159681

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 18, 2020

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

tek79 posted:

I know the types of food served at elementary schools could differ by region other than staples like pizza, so I might be the only one here who had it, but does anybody else remember the chalupa? It was just a shallow corn chip shaped like a rectangular baking dish filled with melted cheese and something that looks like it might have been meat crumbles sprinkled on top? That was certainly something to behold.

That basically fits the definition of a chalupa, albeit probably a lovely one. It’s kind of like a tostada but rounded upward at the edges. What Taco Bell sells as a chalupa is more like a taco.

generic one fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 18, 2020

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

This is good but he should have gone with the Cleveland Browns letter

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Medullah posted:

I'm now picturing all the Iranian people who love Trump, wearing turbans with maga hats on top

Trump is going to start selling MIGA hats and you'll see chuds at rallies with them. I am completely serious.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I’m betting this is going to be about as entertaining as Devin Nunes suing the Devin Nunes’ cow and Devin Nunes’ Alt-Mom Twitter accounts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would really love to run for office against Devin Nunes just to base any entire campaign on his frivolous lawsuits of cow sex parody twitter accounts.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Fritz the Horse posted:

Trump is going to start selling MIGA hats and you'll see chuds at rallies with them. I am completely serious.
"No, I said 'migA'"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ted Lieu is good and more dems should be direct like him and the AOC crew. Call these stupid fucks on their garbage.

EDIT

https://twitter.com/SantaInc/status/1218312853821607936

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 18, 2020

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I was pretty lucky when I moved from wilmington deleware to syracuse new york when it comes to food. At my school in deleware most of the kids, myself included, were either on free lunches or reduced lunches. we also had breakfast in the morning that consisted of individual servings of cereal and milk. you could choose which type you wanted. I always got fruity pebbles but it was some weird offbrand like rainbow rocks or something.When I moved to syracuse I went to a school that was in a much wealthier suburb. We had two lines. One was hot food that was pretty decent the other was a line that you could get wraps, sandwiches on sub rolls, or falafal. We also didnt have those weird pouches of milk there which was a big step up from wilmington.

One of the things I remember very strongly is in fourth grade one of the lights that ran from the front to the back of the classroom fell down and injured some kids. The disrepair in the school was astounding. There was also routinely used crack vials and baggies on the playground.

When I think about Harlen middle school in deleware im reminded of how a little funding could have turned that school around.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Fritz the Horse posted:

They already did one for Mexico, but it was “Make Mexico Great Again Also”. So, yeah, expect Pompeo to show up at a rally sporting one in the near future.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Well, MY school had pizza like SN GF CV G IN JG CD GGV V HMRCBNB B N.V VG UH

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He's mad about the Fine People arrested today?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

lol i remember people in my school district bitching and moaning about it, saying things like "but theyll buy things like instant action replay systems!!!" and poo poo like that, completely ignoring the rather nice football stadium our high school has.

you'd think they would love that poo poo given how much they love high school football

maybe they were just anti-replay purists

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Who is going to tell him there are no virginia state elections in 2020?

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 18, 2020

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Idahoant posted:

Well, MY school had pizza like SN GF CV G IN JG CD GGV V HMRCBNB B N.V VG UH

I think that’s just a sandwich, HTH.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Who is going to tell him there are no virginia state elections in 2020?

He means himself. He always means himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah all American know is McDonald's, charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual, eat hot chip and lie

it's a lifestyle and you will not disparage it